Venus Cursed! - Chapter 43

Printer-friendly version
Venus_Cursed_4.jpg
by Saless
Chapter 43

So she's immune to magic? Jill asked in shock.

Basically. Vash replied.

So you can't really talk to her then? Jill said.

No, I can't. And you have no idea how frustrating that is! Vash said.

So what exactly happened? Jill asked.

Vash told her everything that had happened while Mike sat in the recliner and brooded. Great! Sarah's happiness is too dependant on Erica. If Erica can't deal with this Sarah's going to fall apart! Jill said when he'd finished.

Exactly. And I suspect that Sarah would be happier if she stayed as she is. Which makes Erica's acceptance of her even more important. Vash replied.

You think so too? I've tried to suggest the idea to Sarah, but she won't even consider it! Jill said, surprised that Vash had already come to the same conclusion she had.

There's more, too… Vash said, explaining what he'd learned from Sarah that she herself seemed ignorant of.

What?! But… Jill began to respond, but was interrupted by Mike.

"Would you please let me in on this conversation?!" he growled. Jill was so surprised by his uncharacteristic anger that she completely lost her train of thought.

"Sorry Mike! Vash was just telling me what happened while we were gone." Jill said, and went on to explain everything Vash had said, except for his conclusions.

"Great!" Mike groaned. "Just what we need! Sarah was doing so well, and now we have to get Erica straightened out or she'll fall apart all over again. How are we supposed to do that?"

"I don't know. Vash doesn't have any ideas either. He says she's a Null, which means he can't read her mind or talk to her telepathically. It also means she's immune to magic." Jill said.

"I take it that means you can't read her either?" Mike asked.

"No, I can't. And I've never really understood the way she thinks. If she breaks up with Sarah now…" Jill trailed off.

"I get it, believe me! I've often worried Sarah might do herself in. It's only because of Erica that she's kept going these last few years. I don't know if we can keep her together if Erica dumps her." Mike replied tiredly.

Further conversation was delayed as Erica started to stir. Jill brought a chair in from the kitchen and sat down in it next to the couch. A few moments later Erica was blinking confusedly at them. "Huh?" she said blearily.

"Hi Erica. Vash tells me you've been doing a great job taking care of Sarah while we've been gone!" Jill said sarcastically. Erica cringed at her tone.

"I know, I screwed up. But how would you feel if Mike got turned into a girl? It's like Sean died and this strange girl took her place. She's not the same person, yet she is. She acts totally different in some ways, but exactly the same in others! I still love her, but it's so damn confusing!" Erica exclaimed in frustration.

Jill's expression softened somewhat at this tirade. "I guess it is a lot to take in all at once. But think about it from her point of view. She's been trying hard for over two weeks to get back to herself. Her overriding focus in all this has been to get back to being the man you fell in love with. Then suddenly there you are! After another failed attempt to change back, she's forced to confront you with these changes and she's terrified that you will drop her like a bad habit. And then you go and do something that looks an awful lot like doing just that!" Jill said, her own frustration building.

Erica hung her head in shame as Jill's words hammered at her. "I guess I hadn't thought about it like that. But the way Sean talks it's like he thinks he'll be like this forever!" Erica said fearfully.

Jill shrugged, "So what if she is?"

"What?!" Mike exclaimed. "You don't really think that Sarah will give up, do you?"

"Maybe, maybe not. But she needs to know we'll all be there for her no matter what. I think Mike and I have pretty well convinced her of that, but you have a lot of work to do." Jill replied, addressing her answer to Erica.

"But Sean's a girl! How can we keep our relationships as it was when he's not even male anymore?!" Erica said.

"It's scary, I know. Sarah's turned Mike into a girl a few times since that ability manifested and it scared me a lot. But if you really love her you should at least try. And the first step along those lines is to accept that, for now at least, Sean is Sarah, a girl. By insisting on referring to Sarah as Sean, and using male pronouns, you're giving the message that you can only accept Sarah as a guy. Vash has been trying to tell you that, but his communication skills are somewhat limited with you." Jill said.

"Is that why he hisses at me so much?" Erica asked.

"I've wondered at that." Mike said. "It makes sense, though. I mean, even with the Magician's answer, we don't really know for sure that Sarah will ever be able to change back."

Jill nodded, "And we also don't know if she'll really want to."

Mike and Erica both looked at Jill in shock at that pronouncement. "Are you suggesting that Sarah wants to stay as she is?!" Erica asked angrily.

"Maybe, but that's not the only consideration. Even if she still wants to change back, it may not be practical. Let's face it, even those who are willing to accept someone changing their gender isn't going to be as accommodating when she wants to change back. And if the curse has been helping Sarah to be accepted as the same person as Sean despite the substantial physical differences, removing the curse and returning Sarah to male could result in a lot of awkward questions about how he changed so much both times!" Jill explained.

"But you said she could just say it wasn't right for her and go back without any problems!" Mike protested.

Jill nodded sadly, "I thought so at the time. But the way people have accepted her so readily makes me worry about what would happen if she did try to change back. Even if the curse isn't responsible for that acceptance, it could still be a problem. I haven't said anything because Sarah was relaxing and doing so much better that I didn't want to stress her out again. But now the situation has changed."

Mike glanced at Erica when she said that, and Erica looked down in shame. "I've really screwed things up even more than I thought, haven't I? I just don't know if I can handle this." She said.

Mike stood up and strode over to the couch. Kneeling down he grabbed her by the shoulders and shook her briefly, "You will handle this! Even if you decide you can't deal with a female Sarah permanently, you'll pretend that you can! Only once Sarah is back on an even keel will you tell her, and then only while we're there to support her and in a way that is as gentle as possible! Do you understand me?!" Mike growled.

Erica drew back in shock and looked at Mike fearfully, "Are you threatening me?!" she asked fearfully.

Mike grinned mirthlessly and said, "Yes, yes I am! I'm not going to let you destroy Sarah. She's my best friend and deserves better! I hope you'll be able to accept her as she is, or that you'll be able to fake it until she changes back. But if you can't, you're going to help us hold her together until she's strong enough to know that."

"Wow Mike, I didn't know you had it in you!" Jill said admiringly. Mike smiled, a bit embarrassed by his own outburst and Jill's praise, but determined to see it through.

"I have to look out for my girls, don't I?" he replied warmly, gazing into Jill's eyes lovingly.

"You don't…you're not falling for Sarah, are you?" Erica asked weakly with a sinking feeling in her stomach.

Mike looked at the expression on Erica's face and laughed, Jill a split second behind. "No, of course not! She's like a little sister to me! She always has been." Mike explained.

Once they'd stopped laughing Jill stopped and looked at the relieved expression on Erica's face. "From the look on your face and the way you asked that, I'm guessing that you still love Sarah. You wouldn't want her to be in a relationship with someone else. Does that mean you're going to stand by her?"

Erica sighed in defeat, "You're right, I do still love her, despite her new body. It's going to be difficult, and I don't know if I can deal with it if she ends up staying female, but I'll do my best."


 
To Be Continued…

up
85 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

What If?

Sarah was to get pregnant? Could having a child stick her as a girl, or let her switch genders?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

I find it interesting how

I find it interesting how many stories have pregnancy as a cause for the person to get stuck in their current form. I wonder if that has anything to do with the author's view on abortion? Anyway, with Sarah's extreme reluctance to ka-guy Erica, I don't think there's a serious danger of that one! ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

I rather doubt

Saless,
I rather doubt the reason so many stories have pregnancy as the reason a person gets stuck in their current (female) form. Rather, I suspect it has more to do with the fact that, in most instances, the prospect of giving birth to another life and the natural desire to nurture that life results in the person in question accepting her new role as mother of that new life within her.

Jenny

Jenny

I think Jill and Mike were unfair to Erica

Frank's picture

First of all a large man should NEVER threaten a women,,PERIOD..If Sean and Erica were planning to marry some day and be together, then Sean's becoming Sarah happened to BOTH of them. She hasn't been there since the beginning and it playing catch up. If she is heterosexual, her pulling back after realizing she was kissing another woman isn't an unreasonable reaction. Also, Sean has always been like a little SISTER to Mike??? Odd phrasing. I am guessing Sean/Sarah wouldn't approve of the way the came down so hard on her..

My first thing before reading the final paragraph, was if some large man was THREATENING me, my first instinct as Erica is to get away from him as quickly as possible. They seemed mean to me today..if Sarah and Erica remain partners, there is an obvious rift in the trio being a quartet...makes me wonder how they were before?

{{Shaking fist at Saless for sucking me into these characters}}

HUGS!!!

Frank

Hugs

Frank

Thanks Frank!

{{Shaking fist right back at Frank}} You influenced my story, you cad! ;) I started writing chapter 44 right after reading your comment (Yes, my buffer is pretty much caput right now, but I'm working on it), and now my characters are reacting differently than they were!

Actually, your insights were helpful, I think, so I guess I'll let you off the hook. ~_^

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Not all that unfair to Erica

I must cry foul at the notion that a large man should never threaten a woman under any circumstances. It's one thing to be opposed to all form of threatening behaviour on principle, though I don't know how practical that is, either. But if you'd ever consider it appropriate for Erica to threaten Mike, then it's just as appropriate for Mike to threaten Erica for the same reasons.

I agree Erica is a victim in this, too, and due some sympathy, though she's rapidly using up that reserve.

I think Jill's behaviour in this segment was pretty appropriate, and I think she mixed sympathy for and exasperation with Erica at a good balance.

My problem with Mike's threat in this is that I don't see any good coming from Erica deceiving Sarah about her ability to cope. If she can't, she should part with Sarah sooner, rather than later, and not lie about it for a while first. By telling Erica to do that, Mike is potentially inflicting more pain on Sarah down the road than he's preventing.

Mir

Things are looking up.

There is no doubt that Sarah still loves Erica deeply, and always did. It's also very plain that Mike and Jill care deeply about Sarah.

If only she realized how tightly she held all their heats. Alas, her insecurities make that difficult. Ironically, that realization would do much to cure those insecurities.

In any case, her parents have much to answer for. It's a parent's job to give his/her child unconditional love and acceptance. It's not always easy, but it's pretty much at the top of the list of Important Things that parents must do -- right up there with food and shelter.

Alas, all too many parents biff that one.

I hope that, after spending some time with Sarah, Erica will come to realize that she might a bf and bff all wrapped up in one shapeshifting person.

Once Erica accepts Sarah as Sarah, it'll be easier for Sarah to accept herself.

(And a little lesbian action wouldn't hurt the relationship a bit.)

Yeah, a lot of parents seem

Yeah, a lot of parents seem to think that as long as their kids are fed, clothed, and have a roof over their head they've done their jobs. There's soo much more to it than that! My sister's a teacher, and she's always encountering parents who can't be bothered to be involved in their kids education at all. It's sad for the kids, and for the parents as they're missing out on spending time with their children.

Good insights as usual Ray, and yes, a little lesbian action never hurt anybody! ~_^

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Something just came up in my mind ...

... and if somebody else presented the same speculations three weeks ago please don't hit me - I didn't re-read the comments on all chapters before posting this:

Where do all these different worlds come from?

Is a new world created the moment someone writes a book or makes a movie about it? Maybe the moment someone even daydreams about it?

Or did those worlds exist all the time, and somehow have inspired people to write, create movies, or daydream about them?

Or does Sarah/Sean herself create each world the first time she opens a portal to it? There have been some hints that she has a wee bit more power than she's (intentionally) using right now. That would mean that Sean himself subconsciously created the character of Venus and her curse. Now that's something to contemplate for a while ... ;-)

Anyway, I'm very much enjoying the story, and looking forward to the next 43 chapters!

--- Martin

That questions has shown up

That questions has shown up before, but it hasn't been answered yet. In fact, it probably won't be answered for quite a while yet! All interesting ideas though... ;)

Thanks Martin!

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Another version of making her own worlds

Could Sarah write a story of her own and open a portal into that world?

Well, she probably doesn't feel she is any good at writing, but one of her friends could write the story for her.
She might also be able to open a portal into one of Jill's paintings - after all, if stories and movies can be used, why not other works of art?

--- Martin