Venus Cursed! - Chapter 105

Printer-friendly version
Venus Cursed!
by Saless
Chapter 105

They all went inside, closing the door behind them. Mike and Tiffany put the cushions back on the couch while Sarah and Jill helped Erica over to it. She laid down gratefully, sighing in relief to be off her feet again. "Are you sure you're all right Erica?" Sarah asked worriedly.

"I'm weak as a kitten, but I'm okay. That little walk really took it out of me, though." Erica replied.

"Maybe you should stay here tonight." Jill suggested.

"With the condition this place is in? No, I'll just rest for a bit and then go back." Erica said drowsily.

"Is Vash still following that guy?" Tiffany asked.

No, I'm back. Vash answered. Agent Peters, the man who shot Erica, will be out of the FBI shortly, if what Marvin was thinking is anything to go by. But we may have a new problem.

"What's that?" Jill asked.

Marvin isn't just part of that new organization, he's the agent in charge of it! He's finally seen enough to believe in magic, or something like it at least. As a result his attentions towards all of you have changed. He's concerned that he or his agents will have to go up against someone with magical abilities soon. He wants someone like that on his side. I think he'll try to recruit Sarah or, failing that, Tiffany. Vash replied.

"Me?! Why me?" Tiffany exclaimed.

You're the only other one he's seen use their powers. He doesn't know exactly what it is that you do, but he knows you do something. And he's fairly certain that you killed John. Vash explained.

"Wait, he doesn't want me to be an assassin, does he?" Tiffany asked warily.

I don't think so. Vash said.

"Why would he want to recruit me?" Sarah asked. Everyone (except for Erica who had fallen asleep) looked at her in shock and then started laughing. "What?" Sarah asked in bewilderment. That just set them off even more, and their loud guffaws woke Erica back up.

"What's so funny?" Sarah and Erica asked simultaneously. That set them off yet again and it was some time before they could get their breath back to reply.

"Sarah asked why Marvin would want to recruit her!" Jill finally managed to say, and then cracked up again when Erica started laughing. Much to Sarah's annoyance.

"Will someone please tell me what's so funny?!" Sarah exclaimed.

Erica would have laughed more at that, but she was too tired. "Honey, why wouldn't he want to recruit you?! He suspects your involvement in John's death and the damage we did in the hills, and now he's seen you blast one of his agents! He knows you have some kind of powers. And if he has to go up against someone with powers, he wants someone on his side to counter them. He just doesn't know how good of a choice you really are!" Erica explained.

"What's that supposed to mean?!" Sarah said.

"That you're more powerful than the entire US nuclear arsenal all by yourself, or at least will be?" Erica replied.

Sarah began to protest so Jill added, "Remember what you've done so far? You were just firing fireballs powerful enough to blast a room when you first learned that trick. When we were training you set off a blast powerful enough to reduce a hill to rubble and knock us all off our feet!" Sarah began to speak again, but Jill knew what she was going to say, "I know you passed out from that one, but you'd been casting spells, in many cases powerful ones, for a while before that happened. And you keep getting stronger. I bet a blast that size wouldn't even be a strain for you anymore."

"And you heard what Mana said. So stop arguing; you really are that powerful." Mike said.

"Whatever!" Sarah exclaimed, throwing her hands up in defeat.

Erica smiled at Sarah and said, "We should be going home now. If someone will help me up?" Sarah helped her up and opened the portal. "Good night again guys!" Erica called out to Mike, Jill, and Vash as Sarah and Tiffany helped her through the portal. They took her straight to bed. Tiffany went off to get herself ready for bed while Sarah helped Erica, who was struggling to stay conscious. She was asleep as soon as her head touched the pillow and Sarah wasn't far behind.


 

When her alarm clock woke her in the morning Sarah saw that Erica was completely oblivious. She decided to let her sleep and got herself dressed. Tiffany was already making breakfast so she took her shower first and portal-dried herself just to see if she could do it. Her hair was still damp but she was completely dry otherwise. I could get used to this. she thought as she put her towel away unused.

"Good morning Sarah!" Tiffany said when Sarah walked into the kitchen. She was already frying some bacon. "Would you like some eggs?"

"Sure, thanks." Sarah replied.

"How's Erica?" Tiffany asked as she opened the fridge to get some eggs.

"She's still sleeping. She didn't stir at all when my alarm went off so I thought I'd let her sleep in." Sarah said.

"You know, I've been thinking about it, and I think it's really amazing that Erica recovered so quickly, even with the chrysalis. I mean, she hasn't had the chrysalis very long, and that bullet must have done an awful lot of damage." Tiffany said.

"What do you mean? If the bullet didn't hit any vital organs or anything, it shouldn't be that bad." Sarah replied.

"But the bullet stayed inside her. That means all that energy that was behind the bullet was expended inside of her. Even without hitting any vital organs the sheer amount of damage could have been fatal. And the amount she bled would seem to indicate it was that serious." Tiffany said.

"I hadn't thought about that. I guess the damage would be less if the bullet went right through her." Sarah said thoughtfully.

They were quiet after that until they finished eating and Sarah portal-cleaned their dishes and put them away. "I guess it's about time to go. I'm going to go check on Erica." Sarah said. Tiffany nodded. Sarah found Erica still sleeping, so she left her a note.

"Okay, I'm ready to go." Sarah said when she came back into the living room. Tiffany was waiting for her and they walked out to Tiffany's car and drove to work. Nothing unusual happened at work; the fire elemental seemed to have been forgotten already. When they got back to Sarah's apartment they found Mana waiting for them wearing an artfully torn black lacy dress and black boots.

"Hello. I hope your encounter with Agent Peters wasn't too hard on you last night." she said in greeting.

"Hi, how did you know about that?" Sarah said as she unlocked the door.

"I was watching your watcher, remember? He seems to be coming around, though. I don't think he's going to be a problem after all." Mana replied as she followed Sarah and Tiffany inside.

"Unless he tries to recruit us." Sarah grumbled.

Mana shrugged, "All you have to do is say no."

"Say no to what?" Erica asked, walking in and hugging Sarah.

"How are you feeling?" Sarah asked worriedly.

"Great! I had a nice big brunch after that long lie-in and I'm feeling better than ever!" Erica replied.

Mana looked strangely at Erica and nodded to herself, "It looks like your chrysalis has expanded to about fifteen percent of your body mass already. I suspected it was developing more quickly than usual."

"Are you familiar with chrysalis'? Tiffany asked.

"Not directly, but I played the game, too." Mana replied, smiling.

"You play video games?!" Erica exclaimed.

"Of course! I lived as a human for a very long time before I 'woke'. Even after that I spent most of my time leading a fairly normal life when I could. I've played many video games." Mana said.

Mana turned to the door just before someone knocked on it. "Mike, Jill and Vash are here." she said.

Tiffany gave her an odd look before opening the door. She said hello and stepped aside so Mike and Jill could come in. After a round of greetings Jill said, "I'll get started on dinner."

"Why don't we all go in the kitchen so we can talk while we work." Mana suggested. They all agreed and Jill and Sarah got started on dinner while the rest of them took seats at the table. Mana relaxed back into her chair and looked at the table. A bowl appeared there and flour, sugar, and other ingredients appeared out of thin air to fall into the bowl and began mixing themselves without benefit of a spoon or other mixing tool. They all stared as she worked, and Sarah and Jill tore themselves away from the odd sight to get dinner going.


 To Be Continued…


up
112 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I think Mana knows more than she has revealed so far.`

What does she know about Peters. She started to say, but she didn't finish. Will we find out in the next chapter?

Great story as always and looking forward to the next installment.

Thanks Joni!

Thanks Joni! :)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

FBI agents in training?

hmmm...I wonder if Sarah and the gang will eventually be involved with helping law enforcement? I'm not sure if they, Sarah especially, would want her abilities to become public knowledge though. It would cause complications, and draw too much attention. Shouldn't they (FBI agents) develop their own abilities eventually, since magic has been awakened?

It's got my mind turning! :)

Great work as always, Saless. I don't know where you get your ideas from but I'm always impressed.

-JT
=^.^=

-JT
=^.^=

Thanks JT!

Thanks JT! :)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Empowered agents

If they can trust Marvin (telepathy is a wonderful thing,) all they have to do is take him through a few portals. I wonder what his powers would be. Also, would he tell his superiors how he got his powers, or even that he has them?

Great chapter, as always!

Hmm, interesting thought...

Thanks Ray! ~_^

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Sarah And Company Could

Become a Special Ops Team under either the F.B.I., C.I.A., or Interpol to counter macical, or alien threats, even help with natural disasters, oil spills, and/r Extinction Level events such as asteroidal impact, or nuclear war.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Possibly?

Maybe as an affilliate but not anything official. More likely, I'd imagine they'd be in US Marshall service.

Do you know how restrictive FBI and Service regs are? For a group of non military non collegic individuals is nearly impossible. Any criminal record (including arrest on suspicion) is automatic dismissal.

Secret Service?

I don't think Marvin would need Tiffany or Sarah or the group to become publicly identified if they joined up. I'm not even sure the rest of his department would need to know who they were, though since they've previously been a target of the investigation it seems likely, barring mental intervention, that the current agents would be aware of them.

If they need to conceal their identity in public, the costumed superhero shtick may well make the most sense, though these days a secret identity is a lot easier for the public to discover than it used to be. I suppose Tiffany could try to keep them all in the shadows...

Mana is certainly succeeding in confusing me, if not Sarah and company. She didn't seem especially comfortable to me in the present human culture when we first encountered her. But now, "I lived as a human for a very long time before I 'woke'. Even after that I spent most of my time leading a fairly normal life when I could. I've played many video games." Mana said.

Eric

Mana does have a lot of

Mana does have a lot of recent experience as a human, but not all of it was pleasant, to say the least. And she has a lot more experience from before that time than she does as a human. Also, she was running a country for a while there, and you know how out of touch the people in charge of countries tend to be! ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

What I keep wondering

is if she's the same Mana from Seiken Densetsu series.

Well, that, and can I have her outfit?

I'm not familiar with Seiken

I'm not familiar with Seiken Densetsu, which I guess answers that questions. As for her outfit, get in line! ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

well...

kristina l s's picture

... at least he didn't say...you're making me veeeerrry angry..., um sorry. So what's she makin' then huh?

Kristina

Very Interesting!

Glad our heroines and heroes(?)got out of that one alive. Good episode. I got the feeling something was left out. There was no mention of how they managed to get rid of the police and ambulance crews when Erica was literally laying in a pool of blood. Also they just 'portaled' out. Any shooting scene, whether by a policeman or not, would be swarming with cops etc. Leaving like that would cause lots of unwanted attention. Hopefully Tiffany 'shadowed' them. Or our band of adventurers are at a point where it does not matter anymore. They seem about to loose the anonymity.

Mana seems more of a non-entity rather than a help. Hope she resolves some issues in the Kitchen Pow-Wow. She does seem to have a great fashion sense.

You do keep things interesting though Saless.

Hugs,
Trish-Ann
~There is no reality, only perception~

PS: Portaled = Jumping walking through a portal
Shadowed= hiding or masking with shadows

Hugs,
Trish Ann
~There is no reality, only perception~

I still can't believe she

Opted for a hands-off cooking approach! I thought it is supposed to be half the fun, is it not?

Faraway

On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Are you kidding?! Do you

Are you kidding?! Do you know how tired your arms get stirring that stuff?! Or is it just me? ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Ever heard of

a food processor.....Cheating i know,But it makes life soooo easy!

Kirri

It makes a big difference

It makes a big difference with baking how you mix things. For instance, if you make chocolate chip cookies (at least using the recipe I do) with an electric mixer, the batter is really smooth and melts down into really thin crispy cookies that break too easily. But if you mix them with a spoon they don't do that. So I'm stuck wearing my arms out! ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

I love cooking

but hate baking. The dough or whatever always seems to get under my nails, and I'm caught washing my hands twice as often as I usually do.

Don't ask me

I'm ignorant, I'm not the cook of the family.

Faraway

On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

They were inside Tiffany's

They were inside Tiffany's apartment when they portaled out, so no witnesses. As for the rest, you'll see! ;)

Thanks Trish-Ann! :)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America