Venus Cursed! - Chapter 74

Printer-friendly version
Venus_Cursed_4.jpg
by Saless
Chapter 74

"I'm glad to hear that," Mike said, "I was really starting to worry about you."

"I'm sorry." Sarah said, her eyes lowered.

"Hey, no need to be sorry! You've been through a lot, and not just recently. You're feeling better now, though, and that's what matters." Mike replied.

"Well, she may be feeling better, but I'm starving!" Jill complained. Mike and Erica laughed and Sarah volunteered to make lunch. While she worked on that Erica told the whole story that Sarah told her to Mike and Jill while Vash laid on her lap.

"So, what are we going to do about her parents?" Mike asked angrily after she'd finished.

"I'd love to put a few bullets into them, but I don't think Sarah would go for that." Erica replied.

"No, she wouldn't. They are her parents, after all. I wonder if there's a chance of reconciliation." Jill said thoughtfully.

I believe that is what Sarah wants. Vash said.

"I think so, too." Jill agreed, and then had to tell Erica what Vash had said.

"I don't see how she can reconcile with them after what they did!" Mike replied.

Jill shrugged, "They're her parents, and she's Sarah. It's what I'd expect from her. I'm not sure if there's anything good that can come of this or not, though."

"As much as I'd rather leave them to rot, I think Sarah needs to resolve this. But there's no way she's going without me!" Erica said.

"Or me." Mike added.

It would be best for all five of us to be present. Jill and I can help keep things from getting out of hand, and Mike and Erica can protect Sarah if they do. Vash suggested.

"Sounds good to me." Erica agreed after Jill relayed Vash's words. "The hard part will be getting Sarah to go. She's been afraid of them for so long; she's not likely to get over it overnight."

I'll go. Sarah thought quietly to all four of them. They were all stunned to realize she'd been listening in on their conversation, and that she wanted to face her parents. There were several moments of silence interrupted only by the sounds Sarah made in the kitchen before anyone responded.

Are you sure you're ready? I know I was just advocating it, but I didn't intend to push you. Erica thought worriedly.

I know. I'm as ready as I'll ever be, I think. And you're right; I need to get this out of the way. I don't want to live in fear anymore. Sarah replied.

This doesn't have to happen right away, but we should begin planning it. How soon do you think we should arrange for this to happen? Jill sent.

The sooner the better. I can email them and see if it's okay to go tomorrow. Sarah replied.

Tomorrow?! Are you sure you want to go so soon? Mike asked.

If I wait too long I'll loose my nerve. I need to get it out of the way quickly. Is tomorrow okay for all of you? Sarah said.

Fine with me, I'd rather not go right before I have to leave, anyway. I want to be here for you after in case things go badly. Erica said.

I don't have any classes tomorrow, so it's fine with me. Mike said.

Let's plan for tomorrow then. Jill said. With that settled they relaxed in front of the TV while Sarah continued to work in the kitchen. A few minutes later they were all getting thirsty and Sarah showed up with glasses of ice water for all of them.

You're becoming very good at picking up other's thoughts and feelings, aren't you? Vash observed as she returned a moment later with a bowl of water for him.

I guess so. It's all kind of new to me. Sarah replied.

I can help you with it as I did Jill, if you want. Vash said.

That's okay, I don't seem to need it. It's easy to block things out when I don't want to hear it. I can even block out everything from the other apartments and still hear you guys. Sarah sent.

I'm not surprised. You were using these abilities to shield your thoughts long before you started using them in more active ways. Shielding should come very easily for you. Vash replied.

I guess. Sarah said. She hadn't realized she was shielding her thoughts before, but it was coming easily for her. She mentally shrugged and went back to work. A little while later she called them in for lunch.

After lunch Sarah agonized over what to say in her email to her parents and finally just let Erica write it for her. She was surprised to get a response back fairly quickly from her mother saying that they'd be looking forward to her coming with her friends. "How much are we going to tell them?" she asked after staring at the response for a while.

"How much do you want to tell them?" Erica replied.

Sarah shrugged, "I don't know. I think they might have some trouble with all the magic, though."

"We could just tell them you transitioned. It wouldn't be all that far from the truth, really." Jill suggested.

"I guess that would work. They'll probably disown me just for that, anyway." Sarah replied.

Erica shook her head in wonder, "I'm amazed you're even worried about that! I know they're your parents and everything, but after what they did…" Sarah just shrugged in reply.

"Did you guys have any plans for today?" Jill asked.

Erica glanced at Sarah who shook her head. "No." Erica said.

"I was thinking that martial arts aren't the only kind of training we can be doing. We might want to wait until our training is a little farther along before going to any dangerous worlds, but we could at least start selecting places we want to go that have something to offer us." Jill said.

"What do you mean, something to offer us?" Mike asked.

Jill shrugged, "Magic, technology, other kinds of training, whatever."

"Training like what Melanie tried to give me?" Sarah asked.

"Exactly. I know that didn't work for you, but other kinds of training might." Jill replied.

"I guess that could be useful. Did you have anything specific in mind?" Sarah said.

"I have a few ideas, but I wanted to look into them some more. I thought we could all come up with a world or two to visit and then discuss them and pick where we want to go from there." Jill said.

"That sounds like a good idea to me." Erica said.

"Why don't you guys look through Sarah's collection and we'll look through ours?" Mike suggested. They agreed and Sarah opened a portal and she and Erica stepped through. They both sat on the floor in front of Sarah's bookcase and started looking through the titles for something of interest. Before long they each had a small stack of books to look through and they moved to the couch to do so.

A few hours later they had only gotten through half of the books they'd selected. I don't know about you, but I could use a break. Erica thought.

Sarah stretched and thought, That sounds like a good idea, I am getting stiff. They put the books they'd ruled out back on the shelf and put the other stack aside to go through later.

Did you notice what time it is? Erica thought.

Wow, we were reading that long?! Sarah replied, looking at the clock. It was already almost six o'clock.

Apparently. What do you want to do for dinner? Erica said.

I'm not really hungry. How about we just make some sandwiches? Sarah sent.

Okay with me. Erica replied. They made their sandwiches and sat at the kitchen table to eat.

It really is handy to be able to talk and eat at the same time. Sarah noted.

Yeah, I could get used to this. Erica agreed.

Have you found anything promising? Sarah asked.

Not really. The ones I checked all had problems that I didn't think would be worth dealing with. How about you? Erica asked.

Maybe one, I'm not sure. Want to see how Mike and Jill are doing when we're done eating? Sarah replied.

Sure. Erica said. They finished eating and walked over to Mike and Jill's. Jill opened the door almost immediately after they knocked.

"Hi! Taking a break?" she asked as she stood aside to let them in.

"Yeah, we thought we'd see if you're getting anywhere." Erica replied.

"I take it that you aren't?" Jill asked. Mike was sitting on the couch reading a book, a small pile of books next to him.

"Not really." Sarah said.

"We've found one book that looks good, but most are just too dangerous or have some other drawback that makes them impractical." Mike said.

"I was thinking, though, that we should expand our search to movies." Jill said.


 
To Be Continued…

up
105 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

First post!

(Yes, I am a denizen of slashdot -- or I used to be, anyhow.)

Yay! Venus Cursed is back!

Hi Saless. I hope you had a great camping trip. I miss camping, but I expect that we'll be able to do some next year.

Ray

Yep, I'm back. A bit late,

Yep, I'm back. A bit late, but here it is! I had a great trip! It rained on the second day, but that ended up being a blessing because it brought the temperature down a bit! And the lightning and thunder were fun, too!

Thanks Ray! And thanks to whoever got this chapter added to the outline for me! I was trying to do it but my internet connections was being extremely ornery.

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Another quiet chapter

I like seeing things wrapped up before running off to the next adventure. The interlude also helps to flesh out the characters and add depth to the story.

I wonder when Tiffany is going to introduce herself. Any time now would be good. Who knows? She may have been with the crew all day, and even used the portal to get to Mike and Jill's place. Or, she could be waiting outside the door and will knock as soon as Vash starts to introduce her.

I think she would be a fine addition to the entourage that will be going to Sarah's parents.

I can't wait for that scene. hee hee hee. (I suspect that her mom is quite ashamed of her earlier actions, but did them out of fear of Sarah's dad.)

I Know

that I've been a little remiss on commenting recently not only on this story but on everything I've read here lately. Just chalk that up to RL pressures and that kind of thing. Of course it couldn't be from sheer laziness! *sheepish grin*

Each chapter builds very nicely on what the former ones have set up and the story just keeps getting more and more complex as it goes. I was glad to see that Sarah has finally faced, and (mostly?) conquered her fears about letting everyone know she's always wanted to be a woman. And of course, the fears related to what her parents had done to her in the past.

The next chapters should be very interesting, I think. I know I'll be looking for them.

I'm glad you're enjoying it

I'm glad you're enjoying it Maggie, now I won't have to sic Vash's super puppy dog eyes on you! ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Another Excellent Chapter, Saless!

And welcome back!! :)

Just as a suggestion, how about taking the painting with them when they go to see the parents?

KenJ

Thanks KenJ!

Which painting are you referring to? ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

That might be a step too far!

Don't forget that the aim of the meeting is to attempt reconciliation - "This is who I am, I have friends who accept me for who I am, can you do so too?"

Bringing along the painting would only antagonise them further, which is not the point of the meeting.

As for magic, play it by ear. It might not be prudent to overtly display it during this meeting, but if they part on reasonably good terms, it might be a good idea to give them a 'heads up' in future.

 
 
--Ben


This space intentionally left blank.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Reconciliation

It has to go both ways. It's not up to Sarah to tell her parents that she doesn't care about what they did to her in the past, and that she just wants them to accept her. She's a great person, but she doesn't need to be a doormat.

For it to work, her parents need to acknowledge what they did wrong and ask for her forgiveness. To do otherwise is to put a band-aid over a festering boil.

The truth is, it's very possible that her parents will refuse to admit any wrongdoing. If that's the case, Sarah will have no choice but to shake the dust from her sandals and walk away -- leaving her parents for good.

I like where this is

I like where this is heading, at the moment. I haven't always been the biggest fan of Erica, but she's not really the same person I developed a dislike for, and I guess she can hang around for a while longer. :)

I guess I must have done

I guess I must have done something right, since I intended for people to dislike Erica at first... ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Surprisingly

I didn't rush to judgement on Erica. Really didn't know enough about her to say; and she obviously loved Sean, so that was a couple of points on the positive side for her.

m

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

I know I thought this last chapter or so

Frank's picture

Aren't we at the point where Sarah accepts her femininity therfore should be able to go back and forth? It would be most fun if they go and Sean becomes Sarah in person :)

If we are doing movies, have them do TRON so they can get a Bit to annoy Vash :D

Hugs

Frank

The parent problem

In my opinion the best way to handle the parents would be to use Sarahs power on them and switch their genders. It would go a long way to teach them about the problem their daughter was facing.

Hugs,

Kimby

Hugs,

Kimby

Evil thought...

...swap her parents' genders then port back home for a few hours - possibly leaving an invisible Vash behind to report on the chaos :)

Of course, after letting them stew over their new situation for a while, port back and reverse the changes.

The prudent thing then would be to return a few weeks later to extract the confession, once the parents have had time to think and reflect. Any confession obtained shortly after the gender swapping experience probably wouldn't be genuine, as they'd be doing it out of fear of being permanently swapped. Needless to say, with the combined esper talents of Sarah, Mike, Jill and Vash, they should be able to work out if the confessions are genuine.

 
 
--Ben


This space intentionally left blank.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Have They Even Thought About

Looking at stories here or at other sites? They could contact Saless [YOU] and create an academy that would train them, or write an SRU story where the Wizard gives them a pill, potion to give them the training, or go to Star Trek and ask Q to help. He has never lied to a human. And in ther case, jst might do it for the fun of watching the mayhem as Magic is unleashed.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

How about...

...the Whateley universe? Even though our intrepid gang are all adults, they could probably learn a lot from the residents of Poe Cottage!

Besides which, with sufficient bribery from other universes, they could probably hire out the ranges and get powers tested.

Although the doctors might be a little surprised that although they possess quite powerful 'talents', none of them are mutants... :)

 
 
--Ben


This space intentionally left blank.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

I think Sarah should consider exploring...

"Peace Bringer". winks at Maggie. ;-)

But seriously for movies I have some suggestions. What about "Volcano High"? "Pyrokinesis", "Steamboy".
For games "Final Fantasy VI". They could learn some more magic from Magicite. Heck maybe you could work in something for Erica in regards to "Final Fantasy IV". Think Cecil's transformation. Also there's "Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne", "Shadow Hearts", "Shadow Hearts Covenant". Jill could learn under Shu Zhen in "Shadow Hearts". They could get some great schwag in "Skies Of Arcadia" or even "Gunvalkyrie". Possibly "Panzer Dragoon" but there'd be some big time fighting there.
Hmmm there's also "Breakdown" and Erica getting dosed with that drug in it. She might hallucinate a while after it though. She'd have some real power from that though.
Oh wow I totally forgot "Shadowrun", Genesis style. That is right down the alley for at least one of your characters.

If they do decide

to vist movies, How about Sarah and co thanking Vash for all the help our furry little friend has given them by taking him to the Muppet movie.....He should feel quite at home there.... What with talking frogs,Bad tempered pigs and a certain bear, It could be quite an education And you never know .....They might offer Vash a job!!!

Kirri