Sarah's Shadow - 9 - Spoils

Printer-friendly version
Sarah's Shadow
A Venus Cursed! Story
Chapter 9 - Spoils
by Saless
 

Tiffany was as surprised as the rest when the sarcophagus held stairs instead of monsters. She followed carefully behind them as they descended, and nearly gasped aloud at the sight that greeted her. Everything's made of gold! she thought in wonder as she looked around the treasure room. She wanted to take a closer look, but the gold reflected the light of the torches and left her no shadows to hide in.

They were worried about traps, so Sarah used her portals to move everything to the room above. Tiffany wasted no time going back up the stairs and looking through the first pile that appeared. Almost immediately another stack appeared, and then another. Tiffany quickly learned that some items seemed to call to her in some strange way. She sought these items out first. She was so focused on this task that she nearly walked right into Sarah as she walked out of the treasure room. Tiffany hurried over to the last item and hid them away in a darkened corner, further darkened by her own abilities.

Looking over her little pile of objects she wondered why they were important. There was a wicked looking sword with a slight curve to its blade that, despite being encrusted with gold and gems, turned a uniform, flat black when she touched it. There was also what looked like a large diamond on a gold chain that also turned black when she touched it, and glowed with black light. It caused the darkness around her to deepen further. She went ahead and put it on, as she could use all the help she could get in staying hidden.

She'd also found a ring that seemed to be made of perfectly smoothed and rounded obsidian with runes of gold inlaid in it. She pocketed it and looked at the other items she'd collected. There were four throwing knives, bracers, and a black velvet cloak embroidered with gold she'd found inside a small gold box. She managed to stuff all of this into her bag and watched and listened to what Sarah and the others were doing.

She began to worry when she realized some of the items were cursed, and could only hope her instincts hadn't led her astray. After they'd picked over the non-magical loot Tiffany took her turn at it, stuffing her bag with all the gold and gem encrusted treasure that she could, as well as her pockets.

She watched as Mike and Erica carted all the magical items they'd found through the portal and slipped through when everyone's attention was elsewhere. She considered grabbing her box of ammunition and leaving, but decided to settle down in her hiding place and wait. Before long all the treasure the four friends had decided to take was back in the apartment and the portal closed.

They split up the regular stuff and Vash began pawing through the magical pile. After Jill was given the crossbow and she and Sarah went over its use and ordered some bolts and a quiver for it, they decided to get pizza. Only then did Tiffany realize how late it was, and how hungry she was. Maybe I should have packed a lunch. she thought with a silent laugh.

After the others had left Tiffany picked up her box of ammunition and started for the door, only to find Vash standing in front of it. Tiffany, I'd like to talk to you before you go. he said, looking around vaguely. His mental voice was kind of distant, like his voice was coming from much farther away.

Maybe he can't see me, or 'hear' me anymore. she thought. She considered ignoring him, but she guessed that he'd block the door until she'd answered him. What did you want? she thought at him as best she could, hoping he wasn't going to tell the others about her.

I promised I wouldn't tell anyone about you as long as you didn't try to harm them. You helped them in the tomb, so I'm hardly angry at you. Vash said with some amusement. However, I believe you took something from that wizard that could be useful to Sarah. Did he have any wands? he asked.

Yes, two. Tiffany reluctantly answered.

I doubt you could get any use out of them, unless they were designed for Shadowkin. Which is doubtful. Sarah, on the other hand, should be able to get a great deal of use out of them. Will you give them to me? he asked.

Tiffany debated it, but finally had to admit she had no idea what she'd do with them. Alright, here they are. she thought as she dug them out of her bag and laid them down at Vash's feet.

Vash nosed each one in turn and grinned at her. Yes, these will be very helpful! Thank you Tiffany. You might want to consider revealing yourself to them. They'll undoubtedly be upset with you at first, but you could do much more for them if you didn't have to hide from them. Vash said.

What makes you think I'd want to do more for them? she asked.

Because you helped them in the tomb. You could have looted the entire place without anyone ever knowing you were there without their help. But you watched their backs the entire time, if I'm not mistaken. Vash replied.

Yeah, I guess I did. Tiffany replied. But why aren't you mad at me for following them around like this?

Because you never have had any ill will towards any of them. You are simply following your nature as a Shadowkin. And you have been of help to them on more than one occasion. So long as you continue as you have, I will have no reason to reveal your presence. Even if I do think that you would be better off revealing yourself. he said.

She'd hate me! Tiffany said. I'll just stay in the shadows.

As you wish Vash replied regretfully.

With that Vash picked up the two wands in his mouth and moved aside. Tiffany opened the door and hurried out before he could change his mind.

She hurried back to her car and drove home. There she unloaded all the things she had collected. Following those guys is very lucrative, but I'll stay in the shadows where I belong. she thought with a pang of regret that she quickly dismissed.


 
To Be Continued…
 


up
78 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Guess not

If I'd waited a few minutes I could have read this before commenting on Ch. 51. Oh, well, that'll teach me to try and second-guess the author. ;-)

Now, for those of us who don't have enough gold to buy a clue, can you enlighten us about what a shadowkin is. I'm worried that her actions might be taking her further and further away from humanity. Will she even be human by the end?

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

I'll give you this,

I'll give you this, Shadowkin will not be found in any book (or if it is it's completely coincidental). It's actually based on a character from a book I wrote just out of high school. I think my mother and sister are the only ones to have ever seen it. Someday I might rewrite it...

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

I think Tiffany

may be the most interesting character of the bunch in this Venus Cursed series. Shadow kin? Hmmm.

She's certainly got the

She's certainly got the mysterious thing going for her... ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Is She Immune

To the curses as a Shadowkin?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Cursed and not the first time?

I'm beginning to wonder if she didn't pick up something far earlier that has caused her to become shadowkin. We are also seeing Tiffany's personality change. I thinks she is becoming more secretive. I rather like her too, and hope she will not get into too much trouble when the others learn of her. It is just a matter of time before something bad happens that will require all of their efforts to overcome. Wonderful writing Saless even if I don't comment every time!

hugs!

grover

Thanks grover! :) And don't

Thanks grover! :) And don't worry about not commenting every time, I do post every day after all! ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

I'm starting to

[email protected]----believe that this may be the real main character ;

Cavrider----Just another " Grunt."

Of course she is...

in Sarah's Shadow! ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

NO one

[email protected] ------knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men . eyc. etc . etc.

Cavrider----Just another " Grunt."

Sooner or later

Tiffany will make a mistake and her presence will be revealed to the others, Vash is quite right it would be better if she revealed herself at least that way the others would know they could trust her, And i'm quite sure once she reveals her power as Shadowkin, She will be made welcome!!

Kirri

Welcome?

Maybe. However, if she isn't careful she might rather be growing into the role of final enemy.

--- Martin

Tiffany as the final boss?!

Tiffany as the final boss?! Now that's an interesting idea... ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Just don't make a pun out of it

And make her the owner of the shop when the story finally (read - NEVER, hopefully) comes to an end.

On second thought... Who was pulling my tongue?! Now our dear authoress will do it just for the fun of it!

Faraway

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Tiffany needs to listen to Vash.

It will be better for all concerned if Tiffany reveals herself. Also, considering the fact that she often hangs back or splits herself off from the group, she's in definite danger of being left behind. It'll be particularly bad if she gets left behind as the group is making a hasty retreat.

Will Vash ask Sarah to leave the portal open for Tiffany? If Tiffany gets left behind, will Vash ask the gang to go get her?

I'm wondering what Tiffany plans on doing with all that loot. Is she going to hang on to it and glower over it like a dragon?

Also, it'll be interesting to see how Tiffany and Sarah interact at work.

Thanks for the great story, Saless. I look forward to a new installment every day.

Are you going to try to match Ang's record? (Just don't burn yourself out.)

Thanks Ray! I have no

Thanks Ray! I have no intention of trying to match Angharad's record (I'm not that crazy). This story has a long ways to go yet, there are several issues yet to be resolved and some of them haven't even surfaced yet! ;) I expect it will probably end up being between 200 and 300 chapters long, but it could go longer. We'll see.

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

I have no intention of

I have no intention of trying to match Angharad's record (I'm not that crazy).

How crazy are you?

I expect it will probably end up being between 200 and 300 chapters long, but it could go longer. We'll see.

Uh huh. Yah. I believe Angharad said something like that, too. In fact, she tried to kill Cathy off once, but her loyal readers banded together with pitchforks and torches.

Anyhow, when you're done with it, you might consider sending it to Baen books or something. At the very least, use LuLu or something like that.

Actually...

Although she's only tried killing Cathy once, there's been at least one other occasion when she tried to get the story itself to commit suicide (IIRC, somewhere around the 360s) - but I think she's now realised the story will continue as long as there's plot room (but having said that, it might possibly end before Trish turns 18, has SRS and starts adopting children of her own...)

 
 
--Ben


This space intentionally left blank.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Possible Sequel

Are you perhaps suggesting a future sequel with Trish as the main character?

Michelle B

I'd read it!

But then, if it's by Angharad it's pretty much in my to read list anyway... ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Well...

Given that the story proceeds at a similar pace to real time (each chapter typically lasts up to a couple of days max plot time), you might have to wait a while...

...unless anyone's brave/stupid/daft enough to write a fanfic...

(And don't look at me! I can just about string together a comment's worth of prose at a time - anything longer and I'd edit and re-edit it until I got bored and abandoned it...)

 
 
--Ben


This space intentionally left blank.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Now that is a thought.

Will Vash care about Tiffany enough to inform the group if she gets herself in trouble?

My take on it is - yes, Vash certainly will, the way events are unfolding now.
1)He has a lot of his personality reflect Jill's one, nad I think Jill would have tried to help.
Or, simply put - he is helpful.
2)Tiffany has proven herself as a separate yet valuable member of the group, it is not rational to just let her rot in another world.
Or, simply put - he is rational.

What would Tiffany do? It depends. Shadowkin attuned artifacts will be utilized. Daggers, jewelry and coins could be sold. Everything she will most likely run through Vash to check for magic and hidden surprises.

The work interaction will probably be slightly strained by previous hints of something special about both of them. However, since most people have never given Sean time of day anything weird will be chalked up to RLT Sarah is undergoing. And I mean it both ways - weird behavior of Sarah and weird glances from coworkers on Sarah will be filtered through this presumption. After all, it is in nature of people to not notice the self-evident.

Faraway

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!