Venus Cursed! - Chapter 59

Printer-friendly version
Venus_Cursed_4.jpg
by Saless
Chapter 59

Erica and Sarah woke late the next morning and only had time to shower and dress before they had to leave to get Sarah to work. "We never did say what we're going to do about John last night." Sarah said on the drive over.

"Not much we can do, yet. We don't even know for sure it's him, though I think it is. Vash will protect your apartment, and I'll protect you. Beyond that there isn't much we can do." Erica replied.

"Erica, I don't want you getting hurt trying to protect me!" Sarah protested.

In answer Erica pushed her sleeve up to reveal she was wearing the bracers. "I'm safer than you think. And unlike you, I'm armed." she said.

"You took your weapons back with you last night?" Sarah said.

"Some of them. While I was out yesterday I bought some regular bullets, since those explosive ones are useless in tight spaces. Fortunately they're regular 9mm, not some weird size that we don't use in our world, or we'd have to go back even for those. Since I already had the bullets, I took the gun and dagger out, along with the bracers." Erica replied.

"Erica, you could get in a lot of trouble if anyone catches you carrying those around!" Sarah said worriedly.

"I know, but it's only until this business with John is resolved. Then I'll put them back." Erica replied.

Sarah was about to protest, but they'd just arrived and Tiffany was waiting for her. "Just be careful, okay?" Sarah asked.

Erica leaned over and kissed her before replying, "I will, but that's supposed to be my line!"

Sarah laughed, "Okay, I'll be careful too." She got out and waved as Erica drove away.

"Hi Sarah, how are you?" Tiffany said cheerfully.

"I'm okay Tiffany." Sarah replied, then looked closer at Tiffany. "I guess you're not a natural blonde, huh?"

Tiffany put her hand to her hair self consciously and said, "Uh, yeah." There was an awkward silence as they walked into the store. Tiffany finally broke it as they were clocking in. "So are you enjoying having your girlfriend back for a while, as if I have to ask!" she said with a knowing grin.

Sarah blushed and nodded, "Yeah, it's great. Unfortunately, she'll have to go back on Sunday. I wish she could stay, but she still has another semester to go." Sarah kept looking all around as they went to work, half expecting John to show up.

"Uh, Sarah, is something wrong?" Tiffany asked at lunch, as Sarah was still distracted and wasn't saying much.

Sarah sighed and said, "Yeah, someone broke into my apartment while I was at work yesterday. I think it was John."

Tiffany's eyes widened in shock and she nearly shouted as she said, "What?! That slime ball! Are you alright?" this last said in a much softer, concerned tone.

Sarah recoiled a little at Tiffany's reaction. "Uh, yeah, I'm okay. I had to replace most of my furniture, though. He trashed everything in the living room. We spent all night cleaning up and getting new furniture in." Sarah replied, carefully wording her reply so as to sound like she'd simply bought the furniture.

"Wow, that must have been expensive! Are you alright for money, I could help if you want." Tiffany said.

"Uh, no thanks, I got a really good deal." Sarah replied thinking, A very good deal!

"Did you call the police?" Tiffany asked.

"You know what, I never even thought about it? I was so shocked to come home and find that, and worried about John knowing where I live, that I didn't even think about it. Then we got busy cleaning everything up and replacing all the broken stuff, it just never occurred to me. I guess all the evidence is gone, now, so there's little point." Sarah replied, feeling rather foolish.

"Yeah, I guess. But if it happens again, call the police, okay?" Tiffany said worriedly.

"Okay." Sarah agreed. They had to get back to work after that. Throughout the rest of the day Tiffany kept asking questions about the damage, and seemed very concerned about it, almost apologetic. You'd think she felt responsible, the way she's acting. Sarah thought at one point.

Finally the work day was over and Tiffany and Sarah said goodbye in the store as Tiffany was going to stay a little longer. Erica was waiting at the door and didn't notice her at first, as she was looking around the parking lot. "Oh, hi Sarah! How was your day?" Erica asked.

"Fine, but what were you watching?" Sarah asked curiously.

"I was just watching to make sure John wasn't around." Erica replied.

"Don't get too paranoid on me." Sarah said with a laugh.

"It's not paranoia if they're really out to get you!" Erica replied, and they both laughed. Erica told Sarah about her day on the way back to Sarah's apartment. Jen wasn't available still, but she'd spent most of the day with Lisa and Karen. "We've arranged to get all three of us together tomorrow, but that's probably the only chance I'll have to see Jen while I'm here." Erica said as they pulled up at the apartment.

Sarah started to get out of the car, but Erica put a hand on her arm to stop her. "Let me check it out first." she said. Sarah rolled her eyes but stayed put. Erica approached the door with her hand in her purse. The door was fine, they'd managed to fix it when they were cleaning up, and she tried the lock. It was locked, so Erica unlocked it and went inside. Once she was satisfied that no one had been in there, she returned to Sarah.

"Can I go in now?" Sarah asked. Erica nodded and they went inside.

Don't trust me? Vash asked as he became visible, lounging on the new couch.

"Sorry Vash, but I'm not taking any chances with Sarah." Erica replied apologetically.

That's alright, I understand. It's nice being able to talk to you a little more directly now. Vash said.

"Yeah, I was getting really tired of being left out of the loop." Erica agreed.

"I felt the same way sometimes when Jill first started talking to Mike like that." Sarah said.

"Why don't you let Jill and Mike know we're back so we can finish what we started?" Erica said to Vash.

"I'll get dinner started." Sarah volunteered. By the time Jill and Mike arrived Sarah already had dinner in hand and was able to help by opening portals to get rid of the old furniture and move around the new.

"You could make a good living as a mover Sarah!" Mike said when they finished Sarah's apartment.

Sarah laughed and said, "So could you! In your invisible giant form you could pick up whole houses and move them around!"

"Yeah, I guess I could. Though they'd probably fall apart if they weren't reinforced for it." Mike agreed.

"Looks like dinner's ready, lets eat and then we can go over to your apartment and finish there." Sarah said. They sat and ate and they all helped clean up afterwards. Then they went to Mike and Jill's apartment and finished getting the old furniture out and the new furniture sorted where they wanted it.

When they were done they all collapsed on the new couch and love seat, totally exhausted. "That's two days we've lost because of that creep!" Erica grumbled.

"At least we got some new furniture out of it." Jill said.

"And clothes, I'll have to box up all my male clothes to make room for them all!" Sarah said.

"I don't know about you guys, but I'm ready for bed." Erica said, groaning as she stood up and stretched.

Sarah yawned and Erica helped her up. "Yeah, I'm pretty tired too. I guess we'll go now." Sarah said.

Mike started snoring, and they all laughed. "I guess I'd better get this lug to bed, too. Good night!" Jill said. Sarah and Erica said goodnight and Sarah opened a portal back to her bedroom. They shed their clothes and crawled under the covers and were soon cuddled up, fast asleep.
 
 
Despite the prior night's exertions Sarah woke early. She lay there gazing lovingly at Erica. I could just eat her up, but I don't want to wake her! How did I ever get so lucky… she thought, but was interrupted mid-thought.

Don't even start putting yourself down again! I'm the lucky one here, if anybody! You're the most lovely, wonderful person I've ever met! Erica thought emphatically.

I'm nothing special! Sarah protested. In fact, I'm a freak! She was about to go on, but Erica interrupted her again.

Don't you EVER call yourself a freak! You are not a freak! You're a wonderful, loving person. Don't ever call yourself a freak again! Erica replied angrily. She didn't realize until she'd finished that Sarah was cowering away from her and had nearly fallen off of the bed.

I'm sorry, I'm sorry! Please don't hurt me! she kept thinking over and over again, her eyes shut tight as if she expected a blow at any moment. Erica tried to hold her, but she pulled away even more and this time did fall off the bed, taking most of the covers with her. Please don't hurt me, I didn't mean it! she practically screamed in Erica's mind. With that thought came an image that took Erica's breath away and made her blood boil.

Sarah! Sarah! It's me, Erica! Calm down, please! Erica thought to her frantically. She didn't dare get any closer to her lest she hurt herself trying to get away. Your mother's not here, Sarah, please calm down!


 
To Be Continued…
 
I know, I'm evil! ; )
 



up
94 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

In-world portals

(First comment?)

I like that latest twist - when Sarah and Erica were tired, rather than walking back to Sarah's apartment she just opened a portal directly back to her bedroom :)

Looks like we've another dose of Tiffany's viewpoint to read as well...she seems to be getting friendlier towards Sarah, but could probably do with recruiting Vash to help her reveal her secret in a non-threatening manner...

 
 
--Ben


This space intentionally left blank.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Handy, aren't they?

Don't you just wish you could do that, even without the access to other worlds the transportation advantages would be awesome! Of course, you'd still have to worry about making sure no one saw you, but still! ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

If Sarah Connects...

...statements like "never call yourself a freak" with her mother in a threatening way, there's something weirder than we know of about their relationship. Mom resorting to corporal punishment for the purpose of trying to bolster someone's self-esteem certainly would send a mixed message at best.

It also brings up the question as to whether Sarah's reluctance to confront Venus again may be tied to her feelings about her mother's possibly equally arbitrary punishments.

Eric

or maybe it was just the

Sadarsa's picture

or maybe it was just the tone of voice used... a woman's very firm and aggitaited voice could trigger fashbacks of an abusive mother easily

~Your only Limitation is your Imagination~

Humphrey Knew More Than We Thought!

Just what is Sarah's relationship with her mother? Erica knows, THAT'S for sure! But does anybody else? Can Vaxh help her with her fears? Is Sean=Sarah intersexed?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Mabey her mother is Joan

Mabey her mother is Joan Crawford :)

The absence of wire hangers in the story is telling.

Huh?

I'm afraid you've lost me.

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Joan Crawford...

Joan's daughter wrote a movie called Mommy Dearest, which detailed quite a bit of emotional abuse. I only saw a small piece of it, so I don't know the details.

Oh, okay! Thanks

Oh, okay! Thanks Ray!

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Evil Authoress

Going for the Angharad cliffhanger award?

I'm glad to see that some of the ghosts of Sarah's past are being revealed. To be healed, they must first be brought to light. Fortunately, she has an excellent support system.

Nah, Angharad has that sewn

Nah, Angharad has that sewn up! ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Joan Crawford

Cavrider----Just another " Grunt." It's been at least fifty years since the movie . I seem to remember though a scene in which Joan beat the child with a wire coat hanger to instill the need to use wooden ones .

Cavrider----Just another " Grunt."

Ouch! Glad I don't have her

Ouch! Glad I don't have her for a mother!

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Maybe i'm barking up the wrong tree here

But it does seem to me that maybe Sarah's mother found out that her son was not the boy she expected him to be, And enforced some sort sort of punishment that made him into the sort of person he grew up to be...Which i guess could explain why Sean found relationships so difficult (apart from Erica!) with other people!!

And yes you are evil.... more cliffhangers ...whatever next? A six month sabbactical ? Now that would be really evil!!!

Kirri

Well, I could use a

Well, I could use a vacation... ;) (jk)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Would

Cavrider----Just another " Grunt."---you stay if I promised chocolate and nightly foot rubs ?

Cavrider----Just another " Grunt."

Mmmmmm!

Chocolate! :)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Girl's best friend

Whoever said that diamonds are a girl's best friend obviously never heard of the magical powers of chocolate.

Tropical Vacation

Kaleigh Way had a nice story set on a secluded tropical island that should be quite quiet now that they've been rescued.

Michelle B