Venus Cursed! - Chapter 54

Printer-friendly version
Venus_Cursed_4.jpg
by Saless
Chapter 54

"Try the other one." Mike suggested.

Sarah pointed the red wand at a large rock and said, "Macor." A ball of blue light shot from the wand to the rock, rocking it slightly but causing no discernable damage. At Vash's urging she put the wand down and tried again. When she said the word a larger ball of blue light, more intense than the first one, shot out from her hand and struck the rock. It rolled over backwards and cracked. "Whoa!"

"Hey, I just remembered! You said that last fireball you shot at the creature in the woods with that other wand was more powerful than you expected! You must be putting more power into these spells than the wands do!" Jill exclaimed.

Sarah, try your fireball now. Vash suggested. Sarah shrugged and cast a fireball at the same rock. They were all surprised by the size of the blast, as they hadn't seen it used in the open before. I think Jill is right. Unlike the other two wands, that fireball wand was from my previous master's world. That spell should have created a blast with approximately a ten foot radius. The fireball you just launched had at least a fifteen foot radius. Vash said.

"What does that mean?" Sarah asked.

It means you have a lot of power at your disposal. Try your fireball again, but try to put more power into it. Vash replied.

Sarah shrugged and said, "Vascor!" while concentrating on a bigger explosion. It worked.

Erica rushed to where Sarah had fallen as the shockwave had knocked everyone but her down. Lacking flammable materials, there wasn't much smoke this time. "Are you okay?" Erica asked as she helped her up.

"Yeah, I'm okay. What about Mike and Jill?" Sarah asked as she brushed the dust off of her.

"We're okay!" Jill said as Mike helped her up. "Where's Vash?"

I'm here. Vash said as he flew up onto Jill's shoulder.

"I think you should aim a little farther away if you do that again." Mike said.

"Yeah, I guess so." Sarah agreed, still a little stunned by how powerful her spell had been. The rock she had cracked before was now in pieces, some of them partially melted. "Did I really do that?" she asked incredulously, pointing at the remains of the rock.

"Wow, you melted it!" Mike exclaimed.

Sarah, why don't you practice that spell, aimed suitably far away from us, and try to alter the size of the explosion and the heat of the blast. Vash suggested. Sarah nodded and looked for the farthest target she could see. She began lobbing fireballs, slowly getting the hang of altering its size and temperature.

The others were looking on in awe at the amount of damage Sarah was doing to the hillside when Vash suggested Mike experiment with shifting. Reluctantly looking away from the spectacle he nodded and stepped away from the others before shifting into his first dragon form.

"Wow, you're huge! Can you breathe fire?" Erica asked. In answer Mike shot out a stream of fire into the nearest rocky hill. He kept it up for several seconds before he had to take a breath. That section of the hill melted and looked like glass.

Can you reclaim the wolf form you were forced into by my former master? Vash asked. A moment later the huge dragon was replaced by a large, but tiny in comparison, wolf.

"Hey, you're kind of cute like that!" Jill said with a grin. Mike jogged over and licked her face. Jill giggled and scratched him behind his ear.

"What am I supposed to do?" Erica asked.

Jill looked up and said, "Vash says you should try that sword and dagger of yours out on some rocks. He thinks they may be able to cut through them like your sword did the armor of that undead in the sarcophagus."

Erica shrugged and pulled her sword belt out of the car and strapped it on. Walking over to the nearest large rock she drew her sword and cut it in half. "Wow, I guess Vash was right!" she exclaimed. Sheathing her sword she drew her dagger and tried to cut into the rock with it. It wasn't long enough to cut it in half, but it sliced into the rock with ease.

While Erica examined her sword and dagger for damage after reducing the rock to rubble, Mike began trying out his different forms. At Vash's suggestion, Jill started trying to feel the thoughts or emotions of people she knew to see how far she could reach.

Sarah took a break from blasting the hillside, which was now half melted, to talk to Vash. "Had any luck yet?" she asked, as Vash was looking through their 'loot' again.

Yes. I think I've found a new sword for Mike. Vash replied, tapping the claymore sized sword they'd retrieved from the tomb. It was a fairly simple sword, but had runes of gold etched into the blade and rubies on the pommel and guard. The scabbard looked like smooth metal, golden in color but much lighter than gold. Like Erica's sword, this sword is lighter and tougher than usual. It doesn't have the ability to cut through almost anything like Erica's sword does, but it's a shape shifting sword. Normally it would just change from one type of weapon to another, but I believe it may be compatible with his own shifting power.

"What does that mean?" Sarah asked.

It means that when he shifts it may enhance his form by making his claws sharper and stronger, or something along those lines. Vash replied.

"Sounds good. Hey Mike!" Sarah called. Mike was flying around in his smaller dragon form at that point and landed next to Sarah before shifting back to human. "Vash found you a sword, you should try it out!" She went on to explain what Vash had discovered and Mike replaced the falchion with the new sword on his sword belt and strapped it on. The sword was so long it was dragging on the ground, so Mike took the belt off and put it over his shoulder, instead. Sarah tied the bottom of the sheath to the belt so it wouldn't bounce around too much.

"Okay, let's give this a try." Mike said before shifting back to dragon form. He held his right claw up and admired his golden talons. Looks like it works pretty well! he sent to Sarah. He stabbed at a bolder with his claws and they pierced the rock with ease. Then he shifted to wolf form, and his claws and teeth were all golden. He continued to play around with that while Sarah returned to the car.

I have another exercise for you Sarah. Try to cast your spells without saying the activation word aloud. Vash suggested before Sarah could retrieve her new bow. Just think the word instead of saying it.

Sarah shrugged and thought, Desma. She was blinded again by the light emanating from the magical items and quickly recited the word again. "Okay, that one worked." she muttered as she turned to the melted hillside she was using for her earlier target practice. Vascor she thought, and launched yet another fireball at the hill. She followed that up with the third spell, which caused a small geyser of liquefied rock to shoot up from the point of impact.

Good, now try varying the power of all three spells while casting them silently. Vash instructed. Sarah groaned, but got to it. Soon the hill was under another barrage of spells.

Erica came and took a seat in the car to watch Sarah's fireworks. Her powers being passive, she was stuck watching the others use theirs. Jill was just sitting there, and Mike was all over the place, shifting from one form to another. She'd watched him for a time, but lost interest when Mike started using indigenous animals, like a rattle snake. She was the only one who saw it when Sarah blasted the hill with a particularly large ball of blue energy. A huge chunk of the base of the hill was blasted away, dirt and rock spraying out in all directions. Fortunately none of them were close enough to get hit by it.

By this point they were all looking at the hill, and saw as it collapsed into a mound less than half as tall as it had been. "I think you might have overdone it a bit." Erica finally said after a long silence.

Sarah turned towards Erica with a weak grin, and fainted.


 
To Be Continued…

up
109 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I Wonder

If Sarah could impregnate herself? And id she concieves, will it stick her in girl form?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Eeew..

Whatever made you think of that? Really Stan, impregnate yourself?! It's not all about practicality and subliming the 'best genes' or all that. Geez. A child is -imho- also a labor of love between two people. Ideally, that is. Maybe in a romantic, aged, or retarded way of thinking, but still.

There is something totally different which is tickling my imagination for some time now. As is repeatedly stated Erica is a null to magical influences, and not susceptible to curses, incantations, spells, and what not of magical origin. But I keep thinking that she shouldn't be immune to the divine powers of a god. In my opinion these should overwhelm magical powers and/or magic immunity. Therefore I am prone to believe there's a 'conclusion' to Sarah's plight where she'll be able to accept and embrace her intrinsic femininity without fear of Erica reproaching because Erica will no longer be female herself?

Yes, I know, simplistic and stereo-typical heterosexual indoctrination at its' best, but hey, it's just an option to evolve into some semblance of the most accepted and conformist way of living happy and in love forever and ever..

I wouldn't mind same sexe partnership, or marriage. Not in the least, but mostly people don't really want to make waves, stir up a storm. And I suspect neither will Sarah and Erica.

Anyhow, I like the story. It's nice, albeit a little tedious at times when they seem to shuttle forth in one adventure after the other, fighting and shooting, and belting baddies and alike in yet another quest. The interactions and social aspects, relations, are a little undernourished in my regard, but well, it's not my story to tell.

Nevertheless, I follow it scrupulously, for whatever you may think of it, it's a joy to read. Thanks Saless.

Jo-Anne

Yeah, it's been a little

Yeah, it's been a little heavy on the adventuring lately. More so than I expected, but I don't seem to get much say in that. ;) Thank you Jo-Anne!

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Self love

Self love is the best love. :-p [snicker]

So, Stan, are you suggesting that she go f*** herself? (I have considered having some of my third of fourth tier characters use that line on a hermaphrodite in my MORFS stories, but I virtuously resisted temptation -- so far.)

I have to wonder how similar Sarah's genome is to Sean's. Is only the Y chromosome changed? If so, we're talking about the ultimate in inbreeding. And no, the child wouldn't be a clone. At least, the chances are one in 8,388,608 that his/her spawn would be a clone.

By the way, I don't find the story tedious at all. I like a good romance, I like character building, and I like some action. I have no real preference about the ratio.

Sarah

Cavrider----Just another " Grunt."-------Sarah is such a sweet child . No wonder every one loves her . She seems to emote an aura that makes others want to protect her .

Cavrider----Just another " Grunt."

All that lobbing of

All that lobbing of fireballs and no Tim the Enchanter reference? For shame...

Alas...

I completely forgot about that character! *hangs head in shame* ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Fun!

Blasting things and testing the limits of one's powers is such fun. It looks like Sarah has found the limits of her sustained power usage, however. I wonder if she can increase her magical stamina with practice (not that she's a slouch by any stretch of the imagination.)

I can't wait to see the newscast the next day when someone discovers that a hill has been mysteriously blasted and melted. Will someone report seeing a mysterious car driving away from the site?

Or, maybe some unseen person on a nearby hill or in the woods saw a dragon flying around. Be afraid. Be very afraid. That fire breathing dragon melted the hill! lol

If the authorities run Sarah's plate, they can always cook up a story where they saw a dragon and took off like a bat out of heck.

Spy satellites ...

As many spy satellites as there are buzzing around up there, they'd have to be very lucky not to be spotted by at least one. The only question is which secret agency gets the pics. :-)

Although, personally, I'm rather fed up with secret agencies and conspirations right now. Maybe we still can keep them out of this story by saying the satellite(s) in question had a sudden glitch in their system, or it was just too cloudy to make out anything? I'd rather not see another good story turn into yet another one of these heroes-against-evil-government plots ...

--- Martin

Spy Satellites

Spy satellites are essentially orbiting telescopes. They only view a small area of the Earth at a time.

For extra credit, calculate the amount of terapixels (petapixels?) it would take to view the entire planet at once at a resolution of one meter -- which is not nearly fine enough to spot people -- let alone identify them or read license plates.

So, unless someone is interested in looking at that particular area at that particular time, they are pretty much stuck with very low resolution landsat, weather satellite, or whatever.

I must admit I've done stuff

I must admit I've done stuff like this in games just for the fun of it! ;) Things could get rather interesting now, couldn't they...

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Just what

would Sarah and her friends have done if they had not been so lucky in finding Vash, Our little fluffball seems to have been such a big help, It almost makes you wonder if he has some hidden agenda?

Kirri

Paranoid much?

Of course he's helpful! Familiars are supposed to be helpful. Anyhow, he told us that he tends to take on the characteristics of his master (mistress.)

And of course, we know that our evil authoress wouldn't do something so underhanded as...

never mind

Yeah, familiars are supposed

Yeah, familiars are supposed to be helpful! That's it! Nothing strange going on here! *whistles innocently* Ha, now I've got them worried! Wait, you weren't supposed to hear that! ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Saless, you are a...

...Chessmaster. In a Xanatos kind of way. And now you are attempting Refuge in Audacity.

Faraway

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!