Venus Cursed! - Chapter 100

Printer-friendly version
Venus Cursed!
by Saless
Chapter 100

"Should we stay home today?" Tiffany asked as she handed the refilled glass of water to Jill.

"That's right, you're supposed to work today. And you have that appointment, too, Sarah." Mike said.

"And you have classes Mike. You guys go ahead; Vash and I will take care of Jill." Erica said.

"After what just happened you want us to just go to work?" Tiffany asked incredulously.

Erica shrugged, "We still have to pay the bills, right? Until we get our little business up and running you can't afford to lose your jobs. Even then, if we don't make enough."

"I guess you're right." Tiffany agreed. Mike left to go teach his classes, and Tiffany drove Sarah to work.

"We're a little late, aren't we?" Tiffany said as they got out of the car.

"If anyone asks just say we got caught in traffic. With what happened downtown I don't think anyone will question that." Sarah replied.

"Good point. I wonder what people will make of it?" Tiffany said.

They got to work and no one asked them why they were late. But at lunch everyone who usually ate out stayed in to eat, or more accurately to talk.

"Did you two see the news this morning?" Tina asked.

Before either of them could answer Kris walked in and said, "I did! Do you think it's some kind of publicity stunt or something? It must have been CG, right?"

"No way!" Tristan replied. He was normally very quiet, and this was the first time either of them had seen him stay in at lunch. "My dad's a fireman and he saw that thing with his own eyes!"

"Besides, would they have blanked out the coverage if it were fake?" Tina said. Tiffany flinched at that, but only Sarah noticed.

"Oh please!" Kris whined, "Fire doesn't act like that! It had to be fake!"

"Maybe it's magic?" Tina suggested weakly.

Kris just snorted at that, and Tristan said, "There's no such thing as magic. But it was a really good trick! I think it had to be a holograph."'

"But what about the firetruck? It caught on fire, didn't it?" Tina said.

Tristan dismissed that with a wave, "It was probably rigged."

Tina lapsed into silence after that, and Tiffany and Sarah were afraid to say anything. They finished eating quickly and went back to work.

The rest of their work day was normal, at least until Erica arrived to take Sarah to her appointment. Tiffany wished her luck and Erica drove her to the doctor's office. She didn't say anything on the drive over.

"Have you got that form?" Erica asked as she got out of the car.

"Right here." Sarah replied, patting her purse. Before she knew it Sarah was in with the doctor. They talked a lot about her childhood, and her parents, but in the end he signed the form. But he also asked that she come back in a couple of weeks. Sarah reluctantly agreed and made an appointment before going back out to join Erica.

"How did it go?" Erica asked.

"He signed the form, but he wants to see me again in two weeks." Sarah replied.

"Good." Erica said as they left the office.

"Good?!" Sarah exclaimed.

Erica sighed, "Sarah, you've had more trauma in your life than some combat vets! I know you can't talk about the magic side of things, but there's plenty of non-magical stuff you can still talk about, and should. You can't just bottle everything up and hope it goes away."

"I guess." Sarah replied, unconvinced. Erica sighed again, but let it go.

Sarah told Erica about the lunch time conversation at work on their way home. "How's Jill doing?" Sarah asked when they arrived.

"She's fine. Vash and I managed to convince her to stay put. We were afraid that if she went back to her apartment that she'd start painting, and then she'd over exert herself using her telekinesis again. So Vash has been sitting on her." Erica replied.

Sarah smiled at that and opened the door. Jill was lying on the couch with Vash on her stomach. "Hi Sarah, how was your appointment?" she asked.

Sarah shrugged, "Okay, I guess. I got the form signed, anyway."

"She's unhappy because he wants to see her again in a couple of weeks." Erica added.

"It's a good thing, you'll see." Jill said. "I sent Mike to get some things from the grocery store, he should be back soon."

"Okay, Tiffany will be here soon, too." Sarah said. "How are you?"

"I'm fine! I've been resting all day, thanks to these two." Jill replied.

You needed it. Vash said.

There was a knock at the door. Erica checked and then opened it for Mike. He was carrying a couple of grocery bags, so Erica helped him carry them into the kitchen and put things away.

A few minutes later there was another knock, this time it was Tiffany. "How did your appointment go Sarah?" she asked as she stepped inside.

Sarah rolled her eyes, "Is everybody going to ask me about that? I have to see him again in two weeks, but he signed the form so I can get my new ID, okay?"

Before Tiffany could answer there was another knock at the door. "Are we expecting anybody?" she asked.

Sarah shook her head and looked to see who it was. There was a tall woman standing there with silvery white hair, wearing a white Victorian dress with black ribbon and lace accents. She shrugged and opened the door.

"Hello traveler." she said. "May I come in?"

Sarah felt like a veil had suddenly been lifted and she could feel this strange woman's presence so strongly she staggered back a step. "W-who are you?!" she exclaimed, gripping the doorknob to steady herself.

"Sarah?" Erica said, stepping up beside her. "Are you okay? Who's the Gothic Lolita?"

"Hello Null. My name is Mana. May I come in?" the woman said.

Erica glanced at Sarah, who shrugged and stepped back. "I guess so." Erica said.

Sarah numbly closed the door behind her and said, "What are you?!"

"I am Magic. I'm afraid it's my awakening which is causing the rise of magic in your world. May I sit?" Mana replied.

"You're awakening?" Jill asked. She seemed almost as stunned as Sarah. Vash stood up to get a good look at Mana and promptly fell off the couch. "Vash?!" Jill exclaimed.

I'm alright. I've just never encountered anything like her before! I don't know what she is, but I feel as if she could crush a god with a thought. Vash replied in awe.

Even Mike and Tiffany seemed a bit shocked by Mana, but Erica was unaffected. She glanced around at her friends and fiance in confusion and then turned back to Mana and said, "Go ahead and sit down, I'll get some chairs from the kitchen."

Mana gracefully sat down in the recliner and waved towards Erica and Sarah. Two more recliners identical to the one she was sitting in appeared behind them. "Thank you." she said.

Mike and Tiffany sat on the couch with Jill, who had picked up Vash and put him back on her lap. Once she'd made sure Sarah sat down alright, as she still seemed a bit stunned, Erica took a seat and said, "Why is everyone acting so odd?"

"I'm afraid that's my fault. I dropped the spells that hid my presence from them. Perhaps I should put some of them back up." A moment later Sarah shook herself and seemed to come out of it. Jill and Vash reacted similarly, and Mike and Tiffany just blinked like a bright light had just been dimmed. "Is that better?" Mana asked.

"Yes, thank you." Sarah replied.

"You were saying something about your awakening?" Jill asked.

Mana nodded, "Yes. I was...asleep, for lack of a better word, for a very long time. While I slept magic went dormant, or at least became more difficult to access. Now that I'm awake again, magic is awakening as well. This is one of the worlds where magic had gone completely dormant. It has reawakened slowly, but those with magical abilities are already noticing the difference. Others who had no ability to use magic will soon be able to."

"What did you call me?" Sarah asked.

"Oh, I called you a traveler. It just means that you travel between universes, as I do." Mana replied.

"So is this awakening how Sarah developed the ability to open portals to other worlds?" Erica asked.

"Only partially. Her powers would have surfaced regardless, they would just have taken a little longer. Her powers aren't reliant on magic, though she uses it rather extensively." Mana said.

"How do you know that?" Erica asked suspiciously.

"I've been watching you. I came here to see what I can do to make the awakening of magic go more smoothly. It was her portals that attracted my attention to this world to begin with. When I realized she was an Omnisoul I knew I needed to make sure she wasn't a threat to this world." Mana explained.

"Omnisoul?! What is that?" Erica asked in confusion.

"It's a bit complicated, but basically it's the reincarnation of a universe." Mana replied.


 To Be Continued…


up
73 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Complicated she says!

There is nothing basic about a universe being reincarnated! You certainly don't think small do you? On the other hand Sarah does need to talk that doctor. You can't deal and work things out when you've got them hidden as deep in dark as you can put them.

Hugs!

Grover

Small?

What's small? ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Really?

My thought was "Urk! God mode alert!"

Oh, she won't be getting to

Oh, she won't be getting to that stage just yet! By the time she does the story will likely be over. But she will get there eventually! ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Nani?!

Omnisoul nani desu?!!
Okay my Fauxpanese sucks. Wow, and here I thought you had nothing to fase me with! ^_^

Faraway

On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Oh ye of little faith!

Oh ye of little faith! ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

okay.

Whoa! What a last line there! You're getting way too good with these cliffhangers, you know. *grin*

Thanks, they're fun!

Thanks, they're fun! ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

So i suppose

going away for a few days with Erica is out of the question now!!!

Interesting that Sarah's powers are not just magical and it just goes to prove what we always knew, She is someone very special, Quite what this will mean for Sarah and her friends only time will tell

New logo... 10/10 love the contrast between the two words....Oh and before i forget Saless congratulations on reaching 100.... You don't look a day over 21!!

Kirri

Thanks Kirri! I guess I age

Thanks Kirri! I guess I age well? ;) I'm glad you like the logo, it's really ridiculous how much time I can put into something like that!

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

An Omnisoul

Sounds like a manifestation of Mana. Perhaps Sarah will in time, become a "Q" level being.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Oh my............

I didn't see that coming. She is a Omnisoul wow. There is more right? Cuz I have been left with questions now. What is a Omnisoul? How does that affect the world? Only one knows for sure.

Take Care

Kittien69 ^_^

Take Care

Kittien69 ^_^s2046020module10160663photo_1214347070anime3.jpg

If anybody had seen that one

If anybody had seen that one coming I'd be very surprised! Omnisouls are part of my own little reality system I've developed. And don't worry, there will be more! I've already got a start on #101, and no end in sight!

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Love this series...

This is one of my favorite series! Congrats on reaching 100 stories! :)
Oh! And I agree, the new logo is rather nice and stylish looking, indeed.

Thank you for your efforts on a wonderful story line! I'm addicted!!!

-JT
=^.^=

-JT
=^.^=

Thanks JT!

Thanks JT! ^_^

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Chapter 100!

Athena N's picture

And now we finally know what Sarah is. It would still be nice to learn what that is, of course... :)

I'm getting there!

I'm getting there! ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

While you're at it...

Maybe Mana can tell everyone how Vash ended up getting mutated.

OK...

"Reincarnation of a universe." Ours? Thing is, if she tells the doctor that in two weeks, Sarah can probably prove it before someone calls in the folks with the white coats...

And I can start calling the Watcher watcher Mana now -- I wasn't totally sure that you weren't running a ringer in on us. Our heroes, with their fantasy and RPG experience, would be familiar with the name's implications.

Of course, we only have Mana's own word for it, but if she's an impostor, I'm not looking forward to the real thing. (And that unable-to-look-at-her-unshielded thing has god-of-this-universe written all over it -- at least that's where our culture has seen it before.)

("...Others who had no ability to use magic will soon be able to." Odd: my first thought about that was some high school kid wishing his research paper was done and then discovering it, fully written and footnoted, on his desk.)

Eric

If it was ours we'd all be

If it was ours we'd all be dead! ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Unless Sarah...

...had willed us all back into existence. Which I wouldn't put past her any more...

Eric

Great!

Congrats on reaching one hundred.

What is an Omnisoul? Is it like having a God complex? I can envision Sarah explaining to her doctor. "I am an Omnisoul. You know 'godlike'." Then giving a demonstration to prove it. The doctor will be the one getting a coat with the extra long sleeves.

The next few episodes will get this all sorted out for us, won't they Saless?

Love the story (and the new LOGO) please keep it going.

Hugs,
Trish-Ann
~There is no reality, only perception~

Hugs,
Trish Ann
~There is no reality, only perception~

Thanks Trish-Ann!

Thanks Trish-Ann! ^_^

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

I'm wondering ...

... why the reincarnation of a universe is (exclusively) female. Something as big as a universe shouldn't be limited to a single gender in my opinion.

Whenever I think about God I don't imagine him (her? it?) as single-gendered, and I'd have thought the same about a universe if I considered it a sentient being.

Well, maybe Sarah is just going through a phase and will start exploring her other 41 genders over the course of the next centuries ... :-)

--- Martin

Mana is also female.

And she is Magic. Besides, it's not like Sarah can't shapechange.
Oh, and I second Ray's suggestion to make Mana explain Vash's KYOOTification.

Faraway

On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Mana is indeed female ...

... and we know that she definitely doesn't like wearing a male body.

However, magic has been associated with the female gender in many myths and stories (maybe as a way to balance the greater physical strength of the male body?).

But I admit that Mana's rigorous femaleness has me puzzled quite a bit, too.

--- Martin

You've hit on it, but maybe

You've hit on it, but maybe not quite the way you think... ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Mana's rigorous femaleness

Remember that Mana was stuck (cursed!) for several thousand years going from male body to male body -- and hating it. Is it any wonder that she wants nothing to do with it?

Mana must have been ...

... rigorously female even before that. Remember that her first (and only voluntary) experience with a male body hurt her so much that it left her vulnerable to her siblings.

You know, I'm thinking of gender as one of the limitations of mortals and therefore wonder why a being like Mana is subject to it. But this is Saless' story, so she gets to set the rules of the universe ... :-)

--- Martin

Well, not all Omnisouls are

Well, not all Omnisouls are female. But Sarah is. And she's not a universe anymore, just a really powerful person! ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

... and that is exactly what puzzles me.

Maybe it's because in my mindset gender and sex aren't the most important characteristics of a person. That's probably (at least partly) a function of how I grew up - with a strong mother and a father who didn't define himself by his maleness. Having many friends who don't exactly worship traditional gender roles might also be a part of it.

So it's hard for me to imagine that a "higher being" - a being with the power to change her/his body at will - would limit him/herself to a single form or a single sex. If I had such power I'd certainly experiment a lot. I might develop a favourite form (or maybe several different favourite forms), but not before some trial and error.

--- Martin

Well, Sarah was a guy most

Well, Sarah was a guy most of her life. And it didn't fit her very well. Some people have a very definite gender, while others are much more relaxed about it. I guess Sarah is the former. ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

A very definite gender

Yes, obviously. And I certainly won't deny Sarah (or anybody else) her feelings about her gender. That's not for me to decide - only you can know what your feelings are, and nobody else should tell you they are true or false.

While I consider the fixation on a single gender a limitation, others might find it keeps them grounded and stabilizes them. To each her own.

A question comes to mind I've been pondering for a while: if we assume that traditional gender roles will slowly erode, and society will become more accepting of alternate lifestyles - how will this affect transgendered people? Will more of them openly "change gender" (because society is more accepting of it) or will they find it easier to cope with their birth sex (because society also accepts a male playing a "female" role and vice versa)?

--- Martin

I can't answer for everyone,

I can't answer for everyone, of course. But I think, of those whose feelings are strong enough that they transition physically, that most would still do so. And I imagine that many who don't, now, might do so without the social stigma getting in the way. I know for my part, the gender role is only part of the equation. From my earliest memories I've felt nothing but disgust and discomfort about my body. Being able to live as a woman, and the many wonderful effects of having the correct hormones, isn't enough for me. In some ways it actually makes things more difficult. If I didn't know that I would be able to have the surgery once I get the money together for it, I don't know what I'd do.

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Gender fixation

Many have said that gender (as opposed to sex) is not bipolar; but a continuum. If you are somewhere in the middle, you may be versatile, feel a bit lost, or simply not care much. As you approach one or the other extreme, you will be more likely to define yourself by your gender. If your body doesn't agree with your gender, you will have a desire to fix it.

I know where you're coming from, by the way. I am somewhere in the middle -- perhaps slightly closer to the feminine side. I'm confident that I can function in either body. Having lived in a male body for my entire life, I would like to try the other side of the fence. Still, I can't see myself being totally content with either. To me, it is a limitation.

To someone who is at either end, anything but their desired gender is going to cause some dissonance.

Omnisoul

That's a really cool twist ^^