Venus Cursed! - Chapter 83

Printer-friendly version
Venus_Cursed_4.jpg
by Saless
Chapter 83

"Well," Jill said when they were all safely back in Sarah's living room, "that was anticlimactic! All that fuss and it's over in a couple of hours."

"It's not over." Sarah said, "It's just begun. Erica's chrysalis will take weeks or months to mature, maybe longer. She probably won't even notice any difference for a while."

"What about collecting tech from that world? Weren't we going to do that?" Mike asked.

Sarah plopped down on the couch and the others followed suit. "Another time. We went to the end of the game; beyond it, really. At that point the world is a mess and retrieving the stuff you want would be a lot harder. We'll use other parts of the game for collecting hypos and such." she said.

"Doesn't that mean we'd be traveling through time?" Tiffany asked.

"I…don't know for sure. But I have a feeling we wouldn't be." Sarah replied thoughtfully.

"If we really want to travel through time we can, though." Mike said. "My bronze dragon form can teleport through time and space."

Sarah shivered at that idea. "I really don't think that's a good idea!"

"Why not?" Mike asked.

"It's just a feeling I have, that trying to travel through time would be a really bad idea!" Sarah replied.

Mike shrugged, "I wasn't really planning on using it, anyway. If your portals do the trick then there's no need. Besides, we could still probably get what we want from the time period we already visited, it'd just be harder."

"So how do you feel Erica?" Jill asked.

"No different than I did before. I don't imagine I'll feel any different for a while yet, like Sarah said." Erica replied.

"Mike?" Tiffany asked diffidently from the shadows, "Would you be willing to teach me, too?"

"Teach you what, martial arts?" Mike asked. Tiffany nodded. "Sure, I don't see why not. We're going to need more room, though. We don't have room in here to practice as it is."

"I think I saw a karate place in the empty world. We could use that." Jill suggested. "In fact, why don't we go do that now?" The others agreed so Sarah opened the portal and Jill led them to where she thought it was. She was off a bit, but they found it with little trouble. The door was locked, so Tiffany used her ring to open it. Vash gave Tiffany the same info dump he'd given the others and they got started. Mike took it slow to start, to get Tiffany caught up with the others. Before long Vash had another transfer for them, which greatly accelerated things.

"Why don't you spar for a bit so I can see how you're doing?" Mike suggested after they took a break. He paired Sarah up with Tiffany and Jill with Erica, as he figured they'd have the least qualms about hitting each other in those groupings. They were all hesitant at first, but soon got into it. Tiffany was proving a quick study and giving Sarah a tough time. Erica was learning even faster and had Jill on the defensive. A flurry of blows broke through Jill's defenses and Erica delivered a sharp blow to Jill's abdomen.

"Time to switch sparring partners!" Mike said when he saw that Erica had won her match, and Tiffany hers. He paired Tiffany with Erica and Jill with Sarah this time. Tiffany and Erica were a better match but Erica was doing slightly better. Jill was keeping Sarah on the defensive as Erica had her. Knowing she was about to lose, Sarah took a long step to the side and spun on that foot, bringing the back of her other foot around in a kick to the back of Jill's head. No one was more surprised than her when she pulled it off. What surprised everyone more was the sharp "crack!" sound that accompanied the hit, and the way Sarah collapsed in pain.

Jill looked back in surprise, as she hadn't felt a thing. She looked at her hand, but she'd remembered to take off her ring before sparring, as Mike said it would only get in the way of learning.

Erica rushed to Sarah's side as she cradled her foot. "What happened Sarah?"

"I don't know! I thought I had her, but then my foot hit something really hard and I think I broke it!" Sarah replied with tears of pain in her eyes.

They'd moved most of the healing water to the storeroom with the other stuff they'd gotten from other worlds and Jill had brought a bottle along. Seeing how much pain Sarah was in she grabbed the bottle and poured some of it on her foot. Sarah sighed in relief. "Thanks Jill; that feels so much better!" Sarah exclaimed. She flexed her foot and found she was completely free of pain.

"You're not wearing your ring, are you?" Mike asked Jill.

"No, it's over there with Vash. What just happened?" Jill replied, pointing to Vash where he lay on the floor near the mat with the ring on the floor in front of him.

I think I know what happened. Mike, try to hit Jill. Don't worry about hurting her, I don't think you will. And we have the healing water if it's needed. Vash said.

Mike looked doubtfully at Vash and then stepped up to Jill. With a mumbled, "Sorry." he suddenly spun around and kicked her in the chest. Only it was quite obvious that his foot hadn't connected. He grunted and hopped back and flexed the leg he'd kicked at Jill with. "Okay, that hurt. Mind explaining that Vash?" he said.

I told you before that Jill's abilities are different than mine. Not only is she stronger than I, but her abilities are more varied. I've been expecting this, but there was no way of knowing when it would happen. Besides being an empath and telepath, she's also telekinetic. Vash replied.

"I am?" Jill asked in surprise.

Yes. Your abilities have matured enough for your telekinesis to become active. You are only using it instinctively so far, but now that you're aware of it you should be able to use it consciously before long. Vash said.

"What will she be able to do with it?" Mike asked.

That depends largely on how much power she has and her imagination. Telekinesis has nearly limitless uses. The primary limiting factors are power, control, and like I said, imagination. Vash said.

"That's going to make training a bit tough. No one's going to want to even try to hit her if they're going to break their foot, or hand, every time!" Mike said.

"Looks like you're stuck with me as a sparring partner, then." Erica said to Jill.

Jill looked confused and then put her hand over the spot where Erica had hit her earlier. "Oh yeah, you're immune to psionics! I guess that includes telekinesis, since that punch did hurt! At least I won't have to give up training all together." Jill said.

They went back to their original pairings after that and sparred for a while longer, with Mike giving pointers as needed. By the time they were done Vash had enough information and sent it out to them.

You'll have time to absorb this one before your next practice. It'll be interesting to see if that makes a difference. Vash said.

After dropping off the healing water they returned to Sarah's apartment. Jill and Mike decided to go to their apartment to relax for a while and Erica went into the kitchen to call her parents. That left Sarah and Tiffany and they started playing a game with Tiffany still hidden by her shadows.

"How can you even see anything, anyway?" Sarah asked as Tiffany trounced her in a game of tennis.

Tiffany paused and then said, "I hadn't thought about that. I'm in darkness more often than not, but I can see fine! Maybe that's part of being a Shadowkin."

Sarah nodded, "Maybe that's also why your eyes changed color."

"Yeah, that makes sense. I still don't understand why my hair changed like it did, though." Tiffany said.

"Well, it does stand out less than it did when it was blonde." Sarah said.

"Maybe, but the ends are snow white! They practically glow!" Tiffany replied.

Sarah paused the game and glanced over at her friend. "Hmm, you're right, they do. But it kind of gives you a ghostly look. Especially with that pale skin. I bet you can have all kinds of fun at Halloween!" she said.

Tiffany laughed at that, "I suppose I would make a good ghost! And I could even seem to appear out of thin air if it's dark enough! Hmm, I wonder if I could make the shadows billow around me like mist…" They both got into thinking about ways they could use their powers on Halloween, even though it was almost eleven months away. They were fully engrossed in their conversation, their game completely forgotten, when Erica returned with a worried look on her face.


 
To Be Continued…

up
104 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Hmmmm

Knowing nothing about these chrysalis thingies, I have to wonder. When is Erica's period and what do these things do to them? I wouldn't think a videogame would cover that particular point.

Karen J.

"Being a girl is wonderful and to torture someone into that would be like the exact opposite of what it's like. I don’t know how anyone could act that way." College Girl - poetheather


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

No, Oni definitely didn't

No, Oni definitely didn't cover that point! And the main character's chrysalis was implanted when she was a small child so she wouldn't know the difference, anyway. Interesting thought, though! ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Comparison

Well, I was thinking about Anne McCaffrey's "The Crystal Singer". The crystal symbiont renders the women sterile as part of the price for their superb vitality, rapid healing, and extended lives. Kinda compares to these chrysalis things, I was thinking. And if Erica's period were to suddenly stop mid-flow, it would explain her worry at the end.

Karen J.

"Being a girl is wonderful and to torture someone into that would be like the exact opposite of what it's like. I don’t know how anyone could act that way." College Girl - poetheather


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

I hope the Anne McCaffrey analogy is wrong, Karen ...

as I believe Sarah and Erica would create and raise wonderful children whether though a sperm donor -- Mike comes to mind -- or by impregnating each other. Sarah can change sex and maybe though their link could change Erica long enough for one to impregnate the other. Or they could choose a world with advanced tech that could allow each women to play turns as daddy in vitro. That is almost available here on Earth now, look at animal cloning and other pracctices in farming.

No, I think Erica's shocked reaction is more mundane, her parents have been in an accident, dad had a heart attack, cancer or such,

I quote:

>>
After dropping off the healing water they returned to Sarah's apartment. Jill and Mike decided to go to their apartment to relax for a while and Erica went into the kitchen to call her parents...
>>

Something during the call was very disturbing to Erica.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Couple of thoughts

Frank's picture

Could be that Sarah's parent(s) called them with the "news."

Unless Sean was sterile, and/or Erica was/is now I think they'd be able to have a few kittens for Vash to babysit :)

Hugs

Frank

I bet Vash would make a good

I bet Vash would make a good babysitter, though he'd have to contend with the little ones pulling his tail and wings! ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Missed that bit

Erica went into the kitchen to call her parents

Sometimes I over-analyze things a bit. Through why I'd do that with Saless' story I have no idea. ;-)

Karen J.

"Being a girl is wonderful and to torture someone into that would be like the exact opposite of what it's like. I don’t know how anyone could act that way." College Girl - poetheather


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Nah, I can't see why, Karen, I mean ....

no one ever comments on one of Saless's stories. Cumon, let's be reasonable here!

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

I know, nobody likes me!

I know, nobody likes me! (pouting) I guess I'll just have to sick Vash's giant puppy dog eyes of DOOM on you guys to get more comments! ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Cliffhanger

The evil authoress is tormenting us again.

Who, me?

But seriously, it's in my job description! (rifling through papers) Ah, here it is: authoress shall be evil to her readers at every opportunity! See, right there in print! ;)

Saless

P.S. Just ignore the part of my job description where it says 'by Saless'! ~_^
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Is that a compliment?

Is that a compliment? 'Cause I like compliments! (hint, hint!) ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Don't get too excited, she

Don't get too excited, she looked worried, not shocked... ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

I vaguely remember that.

I vaguely remember that. Considering that the chrysalis slowly replaces the host's organs and such with hyper evolved versions it seems unlikely she'd become sterile. Unless there's some evolutionary advantage involved... ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Jil And Tiffany

Seems to have power second only to Sarah. If Tiffany can also port herself and another like Nightcrawler of X-Men, or phase through onjects like Shadowcat of the X-Men or possibly enter another to control them like Deadman from D.C., then her powers would be matured to where she is equal to Sarah, And Jill's developing psionics could include port like Sarah does and copying the abilities of Vash.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Indeed

But so you know, Saless confessed that Tiffany was essentially given a power set of her long ago imagined character, in a greatly nerfed variation at that. It's no wonder that Tiffany is that powerful. Jill, OTOH, is very much like having an invisible DC Comics power ring. At least, my opinion of telekinesis was that it is that, essentially.

Okay, now that it is done, let's imagine the group's Halloween party! ^_^

Faraway

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Jill...

is a PDP (Package Deal Psychic.) I wonder if she'll become as strong as Fubar. (At least she doesn't look like him.)

I was wondering...

...if someone would make a Whateley reference :)

Thankfully Tiffany's Shadowkin abilities are completely different to the character in Whateley with pale skin and dark clothes (and mercifully didn't have to die and regurgitate her organs either!).

And Jill's ability to resist attacks via PK could mean she could be a PK Supergirl in addition to other PDP abilities...

-oOo-

Meanwhile, if Erica's parents are ill and the gang pay a visit with the healing water, they might end up roped into attending a portal visit (and acquiring magical abilities of their own!)

OTOH, it might be that Marvin's been poking his nose around them - in which case tomorrow's episode will be accompanied by the next installment of "Watcher"...

 
 
--Ben


This space intentionally left blank.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Ah, you don't want Tiffany

Ah, you don't want Tiffany to suck the life out of things to eat? ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Uh, yeah, that would be bad!

Uh, yeah, that would be bad! She doesn't have a Whateley Academy to go to if she looked like that! PDP is a pretty good description, I'd say. But, if I remember right, the description of a PDP is that they can only use one aspect at a time... ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Well, we know Tiffany would

Well, we know Tiffany would make a good ghost or vampire. Mike could be any number of monsters. Jill could make everybody think she looks like a monster! Sarah and Erica are the hard ones. Erica's pretty much stuck with a costume, but what? Sarah, too, I guess. Any ideas? ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Sarah's got a lot of time until Halloween ...

... to look for a shapeshifting/illusion/whatever-is-useful spell she can copy. That leaves Erica, on whom a spell probably wouldn't work. But with the right costume she might make a nice monster tamer for Mike, Jill and Sarah. ;-)

--- Martin

Yeah, that's a great idea

Yeah, that's a great idea for Erica! Suits her to a T! Maybe Vash can be her tame monster/familiar? ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

I was thinking ...

... more along the lines of Erica in a circus uniform, leading around Sarah, Jill, and Mike in monster disguise. Just like in old times, when elephants would parade around town to advertise the circus.

Wouldn't hurt to add Vash to the parade, of course. Some of those elephants used to wear pompoms of sorts. ;-)

--- Martin

Well, if shapeshifting is

Well, if shapeshifting is involved, maybe it should be Mike? ~_^

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Don't remember

Can Sarah ka-girl Mike, since his shape isn't fixed? And if she can, what effect does that have on his shape-shifting? Like if he was his "normal" male self, would he become a female human, and maybe stuck that way? If "she" can still shape-shift, would "her" altered forms also be female? It is implied and even stated once that his altered shapes are male (the bronze dragon). So would he become a gold dragon, for instance? And can Sarah ka-girl Mike when he is shape-shifted, and what happens then?

Off hand, I think I'd rather see Sarah and Erica as Elvia look-alikes. :-)


I went outside once. The graphics weren' that great.

Sarah has ka-girled Mike in

Sarah has ka-girled Mike in another shape before. She did that to help him change back from his first dragon form. She then ka-guyed him and he was back to being his normal self. She did that one or two other times, too, if I remember correctly. As for whether he would take a female shape after being ka-girled, good question! ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Now That Sarah Has..

Now that Sarah has been exposed to the healing water I'm wondering if she will develope healing powers of her own. Sarah seems do be able to master any spell she's exposed to. She could easily develope a healing factor like Wolverine's that immediately heals any injury through instinctively copying the water's magical effect with her own magic. She could also become a healer through the conscious use of the spell in the water.

Keep the chapters coming, Salees! They're still lots of fun! :)

Oh, as for the chrysalis's effect on a period, I would think that it would speed up flushing the mess from the body. Maybe by having it be reabsorbed into the body so there isn't any external mess to worry about. What you should really wonder about is what effect it has on a pregnancy, especially the growing baby.

Another question is what the

Another question is what the baby would be like? Would they be as hyper evolved as Erica? Interesting ideas, there... ;)

Thanks KenJ!

Saless
nbsp;


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

There's no danger of Jill or

There's no danger of Jill or Tiffany becoming as powerful as Sarah. Like the others Sarah is still developing her powers. Unlike them, her limits are a wee bit further out there yet! ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Is'nt telekinesis

the power that Carrie had in the film of the same name?.....If it is, I Hope Jill has more luck with it than the poor unfortunate Carrie did!!!!

Kirri

Yes, Carrie was telekinetic.

Yes, Carrie was telekinetic. I don't think Jill has to worry too much about following in Carrie's footsteps, she doesn't have a school full of bullies and a psychotic mother to drive her nuts! ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America