Venus Cursed! - Chapter 34

Printer-friendly version
Venus_Cursed_4.jpg
by Saless
Chapter 34

"What's what?" Mike asked, looking at the window. He didn't see anything unusual.

Jill looked back at the window and shrugged, "I thought I saw something."

"Are you feeling okay Sarah?" Mike asked, noticing how pale she looked.

"Just tired." She replied.

"Sounds like our cue." Jill said. "Let's let her get some rest." She hugged Sarah and Mike said goodbye, then they left.

Sarah went online right away.

SeanDreamer is logged on


Erica378 is logged on

<SeanDreamer>: Hey Erica, what kept you?
<Erica378>: Hi Sean, sorry about that. My parents took me out to eat. There was a really long line so we just got home.
<SeanDreamer>: That's okay. How's the visit going?
<Erica378>: Great! A lot of the extended family is here, too. Are you doing anything for Christmas?
<SeanDreamer>: I'm making dinner for Mike and Jill Thursday. They're going to visit Mike's parents on Christmas day, so I'll be on my own.
<Erica378>: What?! You can't be alone on Christmas! Tell Mike he has to take you with him! His parents love you anyway.
<SeanDreamer>: They already have plans, but don't worry about me. Work's been really busy lately so I'll enjoy a rest day.
<Erica378>: *Sigh* You are so stubborn sometimes! What are you making for dinner Thursday, anyway?
<SeanDreamer>: Teriyaki chicken wings and coconut bread. I'll make some kind of vegetable and maybe something else. That should be enough, especially with the cookies Jill's making.
<Erica378>: Mmm, sounds good! I miss that teriyaki chicken of yours! I tried making it a couple of times, but I must have gotten the proportions wrong. It wasn't very good.
<SeanDreamer>: You probably used the wrong ingredients. Some things are okay to substitute, some aren't!
<Erica378>: So you keep telling me! That's why I like to leave the cooking to you, you're much better at it.
<SeanDreamer>: I'm having trouble staying awake, I guess I'd better go to bed.
<Erica378>: I've got a couple of relatives that are leaving early I have to say goodbye too, anyway. I love you!
<SeanDreamer>: I love you too, goodnight!
<Erica378>: Goodnight!

SeanDreamer has logged off
Erica378 has logged off

Sarah wearily turned off her computer and climbed into bed without bothering to change clothes. In moments she was sleeping deeply.

Sarah awoke feeling a little better than the previous morning. A little. After a Midol and breakfast she met up with Mike for her ride over to work. "I forgot to ask, how did things go with my driver's license?" Sarah asked once they were on their way.

"Fine, you'll have a new license in a week or two. I don't know if you'll be able to use it, though. You may have to get a new one with your new name and picture." Mike replied.

"Ugh, I hope not! That would make changing back a lot harder, I think." Sarah grumbled.

"I know, I'm hoping you don't have to do that either. On the plus side, from what that Magician said you'll be able to change back and forth at will like you can do to other people. That could make transitioning back a little easier." Mike said hopefully.

"Yeah, I guess that could help." Sarah agreed. Nothing more was said until they arrived.

"Have a nice day Sarah." Mike said as she unbuckled her seatbelt.

"Thanks, you too Mike." Sarah replied and got out of the car. She waved when he did and walked inside.

"Sarah, I'm glad to see you! Could you help Kris again today?" Tiffany said in greeting. She seemed almost normal.

"Okay." Sarah sighed. Kris was a little slow. Not mentally slow, but more like doesn't pay attention to a word you say, slow. Her day dragged on, telling Kris what she needed to do over and over again. By the end of the day she seemed to have finally picked things up well enough.

Tiffany said goodbye to Sarah as they were clocking out pleasantly enough, but there was still something off about the way she looked at her. Sarah shook it off and went looking for Mike. She didn't have to look far, as he was already looking for her. "Ready to go?" he asked. She nodded. They drove back and found Jill working on dinner again.

"Hi Sarah! Could you watch dinner for me while I work on the cookies?" she asked. Sarah nodded and took over from her at the stove. She noticed there were already a couple of batches of cookies laying out to cool. Jill soon added another and put another batch in to cook.

"After dinner we can go over to your place and get whatever we can ready for tomorrow, like the bread." Jill suggested. Sarah agreed.

"Dinner's ready." Sarah announced a few minutes later. Mike was quick to put in an appearance, but Sarah insisted he help Jill with the cookies first. Meanwhile she laid out some plates and silverware.

They made short work of their dinner and Mike got the job of cleaning up while Sarah helped Jill find places for all the cookies to cool without sticking to each other. "How many did you bake, anyway?" Sarah asked.

Jill shrugged, "About a hundred and twenty, I guess. I don't have to worry about them going to waste, Mike demolishes them." As she said this Sarah saw that Mike already had two in hand and another disappearing into his mouth.

"I see what you mean." Sarah said with a grin. They soon joined Mike in devouring some of the chocolaty goodies.

"Okay, that's enough chocolate, we've still got to get your bread baked." Jill admonished, mostly to Mike. He guiltily put down the cookie (his twelfth) he'd been about to eat and followed the girls to Sarah's apartment. The first thing Sarah did was warm up the oven. Then they agreed on what else they wanted besides chicken and bread, but it didn't require much preparation.

Once the oven was heated up Sarah put the bread in and set the timer. They watched TV while they waited for the bread to bake. "Do you want to go visit another world tonight?" Mike asked.

"Did you have something in mind?" Sarah asked curiously.

He shrugged and said, "Not really, but you seem to like it. I have to admit it can be pretty fun at times."

"Yeah, I guess it can. When I'm not afraid for my life, anyway." Sarah replied thoughtfully.

"And you don't have to be afraid for your life much anymore, with the advances you've made in using your portal powers." Jill pointed out. "Plus Mike's getting to be pretty useful, too!"

"Hey, I was always useful!" he complained.

"Yeah, but not against dragons!" Jill replied with a laugh.

That discussion was disrupted when the timer went off. Sarah checked on the bread and decided it needed a few more minutes. "Well, we'll have to wait until the bread is done before we go anywhere." She pointed out when she returned from the kitchen.

"Not done yet?" Jill asked.

"Not yet, but it won't be long." Sarah replied.

"Just long enough to pick out a book!" Mike exclaimed, looking at the books in Sarah's bookcase. Jill joined him and they debated what worlds would be best for a quick visit. Sarah left them to it and checked on the bread. She decided it was done enough and turned off the oven. She set it out to cool and returned to the living room.

"Come up with anything?" she asked.

"Yes. How about we go sight seeing?" Mike replied, handing the book in his hands to Sarah.

"I don't know, that place is pretty dangerous." Sarah said.

"Yeah, but if we go at the beginning of the book we can see some dinosaurs without having to worry about getting eaten. If we're still there when Nedry cuts the power to the security systems we'll portal out." Jill suggested.

"You guys really want to go to Jurassic Park?" Sarah asked incredulously.

"Sure, why not?" Mike replied nonchalantly.

Sarah shook her head in amazement, "You guys are really getting into this, aren't you?"

Jill and Mike grinned. "Yeah, we are!" they said in unison. Sarah groaned, but took the book. She opened the book and found the part when Grant first got to the island and opened the portal. Jill and Mike stepped through eagerly, leaving Sarah to follow behind.

They arrived within sight of the doors leading into the park proper, but they were closed. "Uh, how are we going to get in?" Mike asked.

"Sarah, can't you open two portals and link them together, one on this side of the door and one on the other?" Jill suggested. Sarah shrugged, but gave it a try. She'd never tried to open a portal somewhere that she couldn't see, except when using a book as a guide. She felt that the second portal was open, and linked, but wasn't sure it was in the right place.

"Let me check and see if I got this right." She said, stepping through the portal. The portal opened up just on the other side of the door, exactly as intended. With a grin she walked back through the portal. "It worked, come on through!" she exclaimed. Mike and Jill followed her through the linked portals and she closed them back up.

"Cool, maybe you can use that trick in our world, too." Said Mike.

Sarah's eyes widened, "Yeah, I probably can!"


 
To Be Continued…

up
88 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Could Sarah's

Menses be causing her to stay a girl? What if she gets pregnant?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

I don't think there's much

I don't think there's much danger of that! ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Of staying a girl?

Or of pregnancy? ;)

Faraway

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

I was talking about

I was talking about pregnancy, you don't really think I'd tell you about whether Sarah's going to stay a girl or not, do you? ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Mistakes...

...as the tourists of Jurassic Park discovered, >do< occasionally happen. ^__^ I notice, though, that our intrepid trio are visiting yet >another< story that involves gender-bending/-changing. ^â–½^ Hooray for frog DNA!

entirely-unrelated-issue

My only real regret between the movie and the book--aside from the acting...--was that Genarro was so pointless as a character in the film, when he was fairly decent in the book (at least, by the end), serving as a type of the hero's journey (a real contrast to Grant, who doesn't really grow as a character, but serves as an archetypical science-fiction protagonist: the scientist who is discounted, and must therefore save the day when he turns out to have been correct all along) progressing from the typical, fairly self-involved, un-self-aware lawyer to someone who cares for and about others, and is tempered with the knowledge of "necessity", allowing him to help the protagonist save them all. Definitely not the schlub who dies sitting on the toilet.

/entirely-unrelated-issue

>.< Sorry.

-Liz

-Liz

Successor to the LToC
Formerly known as "momonoimoto"

I completely agree about

I completely agree about Genarro! He was sooo much better in the book! I also liked Muldoon better in the book. I mean, in the book he wanted rocket launchers and such for dealing with the dinosaurs. In the movie all he had was a shotgun! How crazy is that?! Also, didn't think about the gender-bending nature of the dinosaurs, but that does fit in rather well, doesn't it? ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

I have two other big beefs on the movie.

They turned Hammond into a nice Grandfatherly figure when he was a greedy sob in the book. I also don't like how they reversed the roles of the young girl and boy. I thought it was typical to have the young boy be an obnoxious prat in movies. Granted I acknowledge any criticisms to the book in regards to the girl being boycrazy towards Grant.
I remember Crichton saying he wrote the second book due entirely to Goldblum's performance as Malcolm. He shouldn't have, as "The Lost World" totally blew as a book in my opinion. The scientific premise as the plot as postulated by the character they start as the Protagonist was so dry and boring. I tell you I had to DRAG myself to read it.

True, but...

Hammond, in either case, was more of a plot device rather than a truly important plot character. I wasn't >that< disappointed by Lex getting the computer expertise in the movie, though the blending of traits from both children >did< somewhat weaken both characters in the film.

Muldoon was more just a lenition of his character, which is not atypical for adapting a book, where there's room for more less-important characters, to a movie, where every inch of film stock that goes into the final product has to be fought over. Still, rocket launchers >would< have been nice, wouldn't they...

Goldblum did do a decent job with Malcolm, didn't he? Completely different to how I pictured him from the book, but not bad at all.

I read the original novel when it was assigned for a summer class. Later that afternoon, I was bored, and I read it again. I read it once more that weekend, and I think once more the next week, and then I never read it again. >.> That class was waaaay too easy...

As far as sequels, well, I try to pretend that they don't exist, book or movies. Mostly, I'm successful... >.<

-Liz

-Liz

Successor to the LToC
Formerly known as "momonoimoto"

I completely agree with you.

I completely agree with you. That role reversal on the kids really grated on me. What was the reason for that?! I also disliked how Crichton brought Malcolm and Hammond back to life after Jurassic Park. They were both clearly dead at the end of the the book!

Jurassic Park really did leave an opening for a sequel in that dinosaurs clearly escaped the island and survived. But the sequels that Crichton did ignored the plausible rationale for a sequel and retconned Malcolm and Hammond back instead! Jurassic Park would have been a lot better if they'd never made a movie (Or did it right)!

Ok, I'm done ranting now. ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

"It's a UNIX system! I know this!"

OK, so how many children of that age will have encountered an SGI Workstation, let alone become proficient in its use?

 
 
--Ben


This space intentionally left blank.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Lets just hope

that when our intrepid explorers return from the park, That none of the inhabitants of the park follow.....They might be just a little difficult to explain!!!!

Kirri

What's there to explain?

Someone found something really good to smoke, and that's all!

Faraway

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

That's right folks...

nothing to see here, you're just under the influence of whatever that guy's smoking! No 'raptors here! ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Awww...

but Sarah wants a compy for a pet! ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Off to Jurass-Has-Had-It park.

I wonder if they can get some brontosaurus burgers. ;-)

Anyhow, I think that Sarah still doesn't get it. As long as she talks about transitioning back, she hasn't accepted herself as a girl, and she isn't going to change.

She has to understand that her future is that of a girl who can become a boy, not a boy that can become a girl.

(At least, that's what the wiz implied.)

So, basically a reverse of

So, basically a reverse of Ranmas situation? Come to think of it, considering how much more common cold water is than hot, maybe it's not the reverse at all... ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America