Venus Cursed! - Chapter 110

Printer-friendly version
Venus Cursed!
by Saless
Chapter 110

"I think I've given you enough to think about for now, and I'd like to go flying for a bit." Mana said, standing.

"Flying?" Mike asked curiously.

"One of the things I've come to really like about being able to change my body at will. Every now and then I grow wings and fly around, just for the fun of it. It's a lot different flying under your own power than to fly magically, or to flit around when you don't have a body at all." Mana replied.

"Yeah, flying is pretty nice." Mike agreed, thinking of his flying practice in his dragon forms.

Indeed it is. When would you be coming tomorrow? Vash asked.

"That depends on all of you. Anytime will work for me." Mana replied.

"Hmm, we've got a lot to do tomorrow. We should really get all those photographs taken so we can get started." Erica said thoughtfully.

"That will take all day!" Sarah complained.

"I could help you, if you want." Mana said.

"Why would it take so long? I know we have a lot of things to photograph, but each one wouldn't take but a few seconds." Jill said.

"To take the pictures, sure, but we've got to set up each shot! And then we also have to take the pictures from several angles. We'll spend far more time setting up the shots than anything else." Sarah replied.

"I can use telekinesis to help with that." Jill said.

"You'll be exhausted using your telekinesis that much." Mike countered.

That's why we should accept Mana's gracious offer of help. She won't tire. Vash sent.

"I'm afraid I have no experience in photography, but as Vash said, I won't get tired moving things around for you." Mana agreed.

"Sounds good to me! Moving all that stuff around to take pictures of it would be really tiresome by hand, I think." Tiffany said.

"Why don't you come around for lunch and we can get to it then?" Erica asked, glancing at the others to see if they disagreed.

Seeing no dissent from the others Mana nodded, "Okay, I'll see you all then. Thanks again for a wonderful meal. Good night!" She waved and left.

"I think we should get some more training in tonight if we're going to spend all day tomorrow on pictures." Mike said thoughtfully after she was gone.

"Okay, but when we get back we need to talk about our company." Erica said.

"I guess I'm going to have to call Mom about moving in together once we get a larger place to share." Sarah said as she opened the portal.

"Yes, after what happened to Tiffany's place I think Mana was right about that. We'll be a lot safer living together than apart. In fact, you should go ahead and move out now, Tiffany." Mike said.

Tiffany shrugged as she stepped through the portal, "I pretty much have already. I'll give notice and clean the place up. All my stuff that's worth keeping is already at Sarah's."

"We'll help you with that. With Sarah's portals it shouldn't take long." Erica said.

"Okay Erica," Mike said as he came through the portal last, "don't forget to be careful!" With that the lessons continued. They took a break while Vash transferred another block of knowledge from Mike. Mike had them spar for a while to get used to this new knowledge before calling for them to stop for the day.

"Before we go, I have a little experiment I want to try." Jill said before Sarah could get a portal open. Shrugging, Sarah followed Jill outside with the others close behind. Jill looked around and pointed. "I want you to hit that rock formation with the most powerful blast you can without knocking yourself out again. But not a fireball, I don't want to start a fire."

"Why?" Sarah asked, looking at the target Jill wanted her to hit. It was near the top of a large hill several miles away.

"Please, just humor me." Jill asked. Sarah shrugged and looked back at the hill. She started to pour energy into the spell, but then she got light-headed, so she backed off. Once she was sure it was as much power as she could safely use, she cast it. She had to shield her eyes from the intense blue light from the blast, which was three or four feet in diameter, as it built up around her hand and then shot off to the her target. When it hit there was an even brighter flash and they all had to look away.

When they looked back all they could see of the hill was a cloud of dust and debris. As they waited for the cloud to dissipate they heard a deep rumbling thunder-like sound. "What was that?!" Tiffany asked, looking for clouds and not seeing any.

"That was the sound of the blast finally reaching us. We're quite a ways away." Mike replied.

"It almost looks like it's on fire." Erica said as they watched the cloud of dust slowly floating away with the breeze before settling back to the ground.

"Uh, am I looking in the wrong direction or something?" Tiffany asked, confused.

Jill smiled weakly, "No, you're not. Sarah leveled it. I thought that might happen."

"There's still a little of it left there, there, and there." Mike said, pointing out peaks of rock still jutting up from the remains of the hill. "I bet there's a crater."

"Wow Sarah," Erica said, "that's really..." but stopped to catch Sarah as she fainted.

Jill shook her head as Erica picked her up in her arms, "I told her not to overdo it."

"She didn't. That was shock." Erica said. "Let's get back to the storefront, I can lay her down on one of those recliners Mana made." Mike offered to carry her, but Erica was finding Sarah to be surprisingly light. They walked back to the storefront and Erica laid Sarah down on one of the recliners.

"Why did you ask Sarah to do that?!" Erica asked angrily. "We already know she's really powerful!"

"Yes, but Sarah doubts how powerful she really is." Jill replied. "She needed to see it for herself."

"Wasn't that a little dangerous?" Mike asked. "If that blast had been much bigger we could have been hit by the debris."

"That's why I picked a target miles away from us. And that's the other reason I wanted her to do it. If she just threw all the power she could into a blast during a fight, she could accidentally kill us all." Jill said.

Mike nodded thoughtfully, "Control. She has to learn it with her magic the same way Erica does with her strength and speed. That makes sense."

"Is she okay?" Tiffany asked worriedly.

Erica nodded, "Yeah, she is. She was just shocked at how powerful she is. And from what Mana said she's only going to get stronger."

"Just don't ask Sarah to do that again." Mike suggested.

"Why not?" Jill asked.

"Because, she's getting too powerful. Once she gets a little stronger she won't be able to do that without catching us in the blast. As it is if she'd used a fireball she'd probably have started a massive fire." Mike replied.

"That's why I told her not to use a fireball. But you're right, she'd have to hit the moon to keep from getting us once she's gotten a little stronger." Jill agreed.

Don't suggest that to her. If she does enough damage to the moon it could have consequences here. Vash said.

"I know that." Sarah groaned.

"Are you alright?" Erica asked, helping her to get the chair into an upright position.

"Yeah, I'm okay. Did I really do what I think I did?" Sarah replied weakly.

"If you mean leveling another, larger, hill, then yes." Erica replied.

In the time it took for Erica to help Sarah up out of the chair she had gotten Sarah up to date on what they'd discussed. "Okay, I get it! No full power blasts." Sarah said.

"I'm sorry to shock you like that, but I felt we all should know what you're capable of. I know you'd never forgive yourself if you hurt any of us." Jill said.

"It's okay, I understand. But let's get back, I'm beat!" Sarah said. Jill nodded and they walked through the portal Sarah opened.

"So what did you want to talk about Erica?" Mike asked once they were all seated in the living room.

"I've got everything I need to set up our corporation, except for a name. We need to get that settled right away so we can start selling that treasure. We're going to need the money if we're going to move to a larger place together. Especially since I won't be around much to help after this weekend." Erica replied.


 To Be Continued…
 
So what should our heroes name their company? I'm taking suggestions!

up
96 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Venus, Inc.

Who cares if it's also the name of Whateley's modelling club?

Since Venus effectively kick-started their adventures, and features heavily in the title of this series...

 
 
--Ben


This space intentionally left blank.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Name That Corporation!

Venus, Inc?

Nah, that's been used.

Treasures Unlimited?

Omnisoul Jewelry?

Fantasy Retailers?

The Whole Universe Market?

The Whole Omniverse Market?

I got it! 'Fruit of the Tomb!'

By the way, when Mana founded Avalon, where did she do it? Did she conquer some two-bit dictatorship? Or, maybe she created an island in the middle of some ocean.

Since Sarah and company will likely be doing the same, they will need some plan. Maybe they can terraform Antarctica. Of course, releasing the Antarctic ice caps into the ocean will cause the global flooding that everyone fears.

Maybe she can open a permanent portal to some other world.

Antarctica

Maybe they can terraform Antarctica. Of course, releasing the Antarctic ice caps into the ocean will cause the global flooding that everyone fears.

Not necessarily - Sarah could carefully melt a section of ice at a time, then portal it away somewhere (not necessarily a different world - the Sahara Desert would do!)

Actually, to avoid damaging the underlying rock, Sarah 'cuts' a cube of ice out at a time, then Jill uses her TK to lift it and push it through a portal.

-oOo-

Alternatively, dump a few billion tons of rock from Empty World (or somewhere else convenient) into the mid-Atlantic (preferably not on top of the Gulf Stream!) and recreate the fabled continent of Atlantis :)

-oOo-

Actually, thinking of Empty World, what killed off everything there? Could it be recolonised? After all, why just stop at a piddling little island, or even a continent, when you can have an entire planet at your disposal? :)

 
 
--Ben


This space intentionally left blank.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

If the hill was several miles

away, How could Sarah be certain that there was nobody in the vicinity of the rock formation....Or is
there something i've missed....(After all i'm pretty good at missing the obvious!!!).

Kirri

They were in the empty world

They were in the empty world at the time, so there was no danger of hitting anybody.

Saless 


Kittyhawk"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

The Name Game!

They'll need a name that helps them sell their merchandise, but does not attract unwanted attention or hint at illegitimacy. My suggestion is Sarah's name spelled backward. I included a marketing slogan for free.

HARAS' VAULT - Your only source for unique out of this world treasures.

For living arrangements, the safest would be to get a house with a portal to one of the uninhabited worlds with an unused castle or manor. It would appear that they are living here but would always have a comfortable safe haven for refuge, if needed. It would cost nothing for the retreat.

Hugs,
Trish-Ann
~There is no reality, only perception~

Hugs,
Trish Ann
~There is no reality, only perception~

I see we think alike.

My though was simply Out of This World Treasures.

Michelle B

Why Not

Avalon Unlimited? As for Sarah's power, if any asteroids ever menace the planet, she can zap it, or even strengthen the magnetic field to bounce it off, or even port it away.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

"Off-World Wholesalers"

or...

"Dimension Discounters"
"Portals-R-Us"

How about a slogan? "Our prices are out of this world!". ::snicker::

-JT
=^.^=

-JT
=^.^=

Okay, the empty world?

I didn't get it the first time around, and was really anticipating Marvin to blow a gasket over a BOOM!

Faraway

On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Talking of Marvin...

Given that his speciality is espionage, I wonder what powers he'd develop if he went through a portal or two...

 
 
--Ben


This space intentionally left blank.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Portal to Treasures?

Adventure Ventures?
Sales From The Crypt?
Against All Odds -- and Ends?
Universal Imports?
Offworld Liquidation?
Could It Be Magic?
Gamers' Loot?
Explosive Values?
The Dragon's Hoard?
Heroes' Reward?

I feel as if there's something both cute and obvious out there that I'm not getting...

Eric

How about

Saless Sales or Mana from Heaven

Kirri

Best suggestion

Best suggestion so far in my opinion is the "Out of this world treasures", but that might be a bit too long as name.

Hugs,

Kimby

Hugs,

Kimby