Venus Cursed! - Chapter 70

Printer-friendly version
Venus_Cursed_4.jpg
by Saless
Chapter 70

"What's that supposed to mean?" Erica asked suspiciously.

Your world is changing. Magic was weak or absent in your world before, but it's gaining strength. I don't know if it's strong enough to be felt yet, but at the rate it's going it will be before long. Vash replied.

"What does that mean?" Jill asked.

It means other people will begin to develop magical abilities, or learn to tap into magic the way my previous master did. They won't have the level of power you do for quite some time, and you'll probably be stronger by then, but there will be a lot of people with magical abilities in time. Vash said.

"But that doesn't mean we'll have to fight them!" Jill protested.

Most, no. But some will try to profit from their abilities by using them against others. It is unlikely that your police force will be able to adapt quickly. Until they do, magical criminals may operate unchecked. You will need to be able to defend yourselves. Vash said.

Sarah groaned, "But we can't carry our weapons around with us, we'd be arrested!"

Not now, no, but you may be able to in the future. I suggest further trips to other worlds to develop your own abilities would also be helpful, since you won't always have your weapons on hand. Vash replied.

"How quickly is this likely to happen?" Mike asked.

I don't know. There is some time yet, though, I'm sure. It won't happen tomorrow. Vash said.

"Wait, so we might have to deal with people like John, with powers?" Sarah asked weakly.

Erica pulled held her close and said, "Don't worry Sarah, you're the strongest one of us! If someone like that tries anything you can blast them into oblivion or portal them somewhere where they can't hurt anybody."

Sarah was shaking by the time she'd finished speaking and said, "But when John attacked me…I just froze!"

"That was understandable, especially with your history! But now that you're dealing with that, I think you'll find you're able to deal with situations like that better. And if we train like Vash suggests you'll know you can deal with them if that ever happens!" Erica assured her.

She's right, training will improve your confidence. That would be a big help. I really think you, in particular, should do so. The others need to develop their abilities or their skills with their weapons, but what you really need is confidence, as you have enough power to make up for your lack of experience. Vash said.

Jill sighed, "I hate to say it, but they're making a lot of sense. I don't like the idea of having to fight magical criminals, but I'd rather be prepared if that happens."

"I really hope it takes a long time for this stuff to happen, I don't want you guys to have to fight like that. It's bad enough the stuff we've gotten involved in through the portals, but we wouldn't have a safe home to come back to!" Mike said worriedly.

"That's not entirely true. If we need to get away we can always come here. But I hope it takes a long time, too. Especially since I'll be on the other side of the continent for six months!" Erica said.

"At least you'll be able to visit." Jill said.

"Jill, I won't be able to fly all the way out here very often, if at all! I won't have the time!" Erica replied.

"I wasn't talking about flying. Sarah could open a portal to your apartment and you could come through, or Sarah could go to you there." Jill explained.

Erica stared with her mouth open and then turned to meet Sarah's equally shocked look. "Can you really do that?!" Erica asked.

"I…I think I can! I can use our bond to open the portal, or I could fly over there so I know where I'm portalling to, and then I could go back and forth at will!" Sarah replied excitedly.

"We'd better test using the bond first, so we know whether you should fly back with me or not." Erica suggested. Sarah nodded. "I'll go hide somewhere and when I give you the signal you try to open a portal to me, okay?"

"Okay!" Sarah agreed. She waited while Erica ran out of sight. Ten minutes later Erica called her through the bond. Sarah opened a portal and right there was Erica! "It worked!" Sarah said happily.

"How far away were you?" Jill asked as Erica stepped through the portal.

"About four blocks away." Erica replied with a grin. "Thanks for this idea Jill, this will make the next six months so much better!"

"Yeah, thanks Jill!" Sarah agreed, and they both hugged Jill.

"You're welcome! But now I think we'd better get back to learning how to use this stuff." Jill said. The others agreed and they went back to experimenting. Jill soon learned that very thick things, like large tree trunks, could defeat her even with the gauntlets, whereas Erica's sword would go through them like a hot knife through butter. Mike's axe wasn't nearly as effective at cutting through any object, but it did plenty of damage. Especially when in Naga form. Sarah made more noise with her bow, trying out the piercing and electric arrows. The piercing arrows would fly right through a car from front to back and on through the car behind it! The electric arrows were pretty spectacular, too. Sarah was very happy with how much power the bow had, even though it was no harder to draw than her old one. Erica got in on the action with her guns, using both ordinary and explosive bullets.

I think that's enough practice for today, don't you? Vash thought after Erica blew up a car and set it on fire.

"Oops, I guess I overdid it a little." Erica said. "Sure, I'm getting hungry anyway." The others agreed and they portalled everything back to their hiding place and then returned to Sarah's apartment.

"What do you guys want for dinner?" Sarah asked.

"You don't have to cook." Jill said.

"I want to!" Sarah replied, and went to work. Erica joined her and Mike and Jill sat down on the couch.

"I don't like what Vash was saying, that sounds really bad." Jill said.

"I don't like it either. But if he's right it's best to be prepared. We should start looking into worlds to visit. I also think the three of you need to learn some kind of martial arts, and all four of us need to learn to use our weapons better. The martial arts is the most important, though, since we won't always have our weapons and our weapons are magical so we're able to use them better than we could non-magical weapons." Mike replied.

"You could teach us martial arts." Jill said.

"True, but that will take a lot of time. It would be nice if we could jump start the process somehow." Mike said.

"How would we do that?" Jill asked.

"Well, in The Matrix they could learn martial arts by simply downloading the skills into their brains." Mike said.

"But we can't use that, we don't have the ports to plug into their computers." Jill pointed out.

"I know, but we might be able to find something similar that doesn't require an implanted interface like that." Mike said.

I might be able to help you with that. Vash said as he jumped up on Jill's lap.

"How?" Jill asked as she stroked his feathers.

Purring, he said, I may be able to isolate the parts of Mike's memory related to his martial arts training, and copy that information into your's and Sarah's minds. Sarah would have to transfer it to Erica, if she can. It would take you some time to really absorb and assimilate the information, but it would give you your "jump start".

"Sounds good, when can you do it?" Mike asked.

I don't know. I'll get started on it right away, but it may take me quite a while to isolate the memories. You might want to go ahead and train them in the meantime. It would probably make assimilating your memories easier, anyway. Vash replied.

"Sounds good to me. Maybe we can get started tomorrow?" Jill suggested. Mike nodded and turned on the TV. They whiled away the rest of the time until dinner was ready by watching Bleach.

"Come on you two, dinner's ready!" Sarah called out. Mike dragged Jill away from the TV and they all sat down to eat.

"So what do you two say to getting some martial arts training in tomorrow?" Mike asked.


To Be Continued…


up
80 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Martial Arts Copy/Transference

Transferring the martial art abilities from one person to another would be awkward wouldn't it? It would be like Mike trying to do martial arts with a girls body. His mind tells him one thing, his body does another. It might even make it harder to learn.

That's why Vash needs time

That's why Vash needs time to isolate only the martial arts knowledge, without the other stuff clouding things up. It will still be a lot like reading up on it extensively before going into it for real. They'll know what the terms and forms are, but they'll have to learn to actually do them, physically. They won't be going right into major kung-fu action like Neo! ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Bleach?

Frank's picture

?

Hugs

Frank

Bleach is a anime from

Bleach is a anime from japan

>>>>>I'm a new soul.I came to this strange world.Hoping I could learn a bit bout how to give and take.<<<<<

>>>>>I'm a new soul.I came to this strange world.Hoping I could learn a bit bout how to give and take.<<<<<

Ack!

You beat me to it! ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

LOL!

I knew I'd throw some people with that one! It's an anime/mange (Japanese cartoon/comic book) that's very popular right now. I don't remember why it's called that, but it has nothing to do with the story. ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Im sneaky like that i got

Im sneaky like that i got mad ninja skillz, also im a huge anime fan and im so GEEK

>>>>>I'm a new soul.I came to this strange world.Hoping I could learn a bit bout how to give and take.<<<<<

>>>>>I'm a new soul.I came to this strange world.Hoping I could learn a bit bout how to give and take.<<<<<

I love anime, too, though I

I love anime, too, though I don't get to see very much. I read a fair amount of manga, though, so that makes up for it. I'd love to get the rest of the Bleach books that are out, among so many others!

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Anime

Well, they could make trip to shinigami - to learn shunpo and some more Kidou. I bet Urahara would be joyous to teach them. Or for some technique they could visit Ranma, Naruto, Dragonballs, Rurourni Kenshin and Slayers. As for good equipment I would recommend FMP and GitS...
And (but this is not anime) they can go to ShadowRun world - there they could train skills and could get some really good equipment too. Magic and technological as well, as this is awakened cyberpunk world.

Robin

Dragonball Universe? I

Dragonball Universe? I don't think opening a portal to a place where godlike beings fight casual battles in which a low powered errant strike could accidentally detonate the entire planet is a good idea.

Original Dragonballs

That was in DBZ, I had on mind the original Dragonball Series, there it was quite normal yet, no exploding planets.

Still dangerous, but not

Still dangerous, but not nearly as bad! And for Sarah and her friends not nearly as dangerous as for normal people! I admit, I've considered it! ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Yeah, DBZ isn't a great

Yeah, DBZ isn't a great vacation spot. If you time it right it's okay, but most of the time things are getting blown up left and right.

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Full Metal Panic, now

Full Metal Panic, now there's another I'd like to get all the manga (and anime, for that matter) of. I've only got the first volume or two and they really haven't gotten into the tech much yet. What is GitS though?

Shadowrun would be good, though always dangerous, but their tech doesn't integrate well with magic. Not that that would be much of a problem for Erica... Hmm, Erica with cyber enhancements and sub-dermal armor would be interesting, though I guess she might not need the armor with those bracers... ;)

Of course, if you really want to get mean, they could go to Death Note. But then, they'd need to know the name of their enemies...

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

GitS

GitS means Ghost in the Shell, or in original Koukaku Kidotai. Cyberpunk manga, anime movies and series. Really good, especially first movie and Stand Alone Complex Season 1.
FMP is fun, especially Arbalest and Toy Box.
Shadowrun has some really interesting "toys" and spells too. Cyber and bodyware rules... BTW, to magic-techlogy incompactibility - Escaflowne as Dragonmech quite well integrates magic and technology. But who was it, Asimov or Clark which said, that "To simple man far enough advanced techlogy seems like magic"?

Ghost in the Shell

I should have caught that one! I've only seen the first movie once years ago, but I've seen a fair amount of Stand Alone Complex. Mostly season 1, I think. Thanks Robin!

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

The world is becomming more magical

Is this because there are magical items in the world, to jump start the magic?

Does that mean that Tiffany having her magical knives and guns is poluting Earth with magic by chance, or are all the other items they may have kept in the real world, instead of the dead world doing it, such as the gauntlets, the furniture they brought from the dead world? Would this be a polution of sorts?

Someone said a while back, a balance needed to be maintained between dimensions, could this be the result of losing this balance?

Just wondering?

Wait and see

I'm guessing we won't know exactly why what's happening is happening until Mana appears on the scene...
...so Saless will be busy keeping us guessing (and probably silently laughing at some of the more obscure suggestions) for several months to come - possibly until well into the New Year...

 
 
--Ben


This space intentionally left blank.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Hee hehehe!

Mwahahaha!! *More mad cackling* ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Philosophically speaking, a

Philosophically speaking, a natural force doesn't need anything. It just exerts itself. Take a dam for instance. Gravity forces the water to level out, the dam resists the force gravity exerts on the water and prevents it from leveling out.

Maybe by opening portals to other worlds where there IS magic, Sarah is inadvertently poking holes in the dam of her own dimension.

One thing Saless hasn't touched on (so far as I know) is the possibility that Sarah's portals never dissappear, but rather she creates doorways and opens the door. Once she closes the door, there is still a doorway where once there was only a wall. Things of that nature. Then, if the place she travels too has time travel, if she was ever there at all time traveling creatures could just go in when she comes out.

Hum, I have just the place, um, story

There is this BBC TV series about this Time and Space traveling alien and they have written novels based on the main characters....

WHO this strange alien is I haven't a clue. But there is this blue police box ...

Just avoid any novels with Daleks, cybermen, the Master ...

John in Wauwatosa

P.S. and for you Trekies, there are few things more comforting than a fully charged phaser in your hand.

Or going back to that BBC show,that gun that taps directly into the black hole that powered the Doctor's former home world of Galifrey.

John in Wauwatosa

Gee, whatever could you be

Gee, whatever could you be talking about... ;)

Ouch, a gun that taps into a black hole?! I think I'll pass!

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

If you really ...

Well John since you brought up Star Trek then I have my own suggestion. "Relics" by Michael Jan Friedman. It is better known as the Star Trek New Generation episode 130 that had James Doohan playing Montgomery Scott. At the end of the story Scotty is given on extended loan one of the Enterprise's shuttle craft. The old Federation engineer's story is open ended and I'm sure he would much rather help a wee bunch of adventurers than go to that retirement colony anyways.

Not to mention that shuttle has all kinds of useful gadgets onboard like replicators and those phasers of John's. Those guns of Erica packs a wallop but now a good phaser while it can disintegrate, it also has a stun setting. Quite useful when nosy folks get underfoot and you don't want a permanent solution.

What can I say? I was always fond of the character.

Now John as for the Doctor, he might very well be one of those who can tell Sarah who and what she is. However remember things are never dull when he's around.

Great stuff Saless! :)

Hugs!

Grover

I always liked him, too.

I always liked him, too. Thanks Grover! :)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

I'm thinking

I would think a functioning tricorder would be a v-e-r-y handy thing to have. ;-)

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

Some of the many things I've

Some of the many things I've considered. Not that I'm going to actually answer the question just yet... ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Magical 'pollution' was kind

Magical 'pollution' was kind of the idea I originally had for this... ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Awakening Magic

That means that Mana, Kittyhawk, and Saless other story will soon be in Venus. But which is more powerful? Kitty, Sarah, or the lady that taught others to remold their bodies? And what if there is a magic drainer? like Rogue of the X-Mem?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Well, you know, Saless has already confessed

That all the stories are of the same multiverse, but Chronicles of Mana and Kittyhawk are earlier in the timeline. Also, Melanie and Laura noted that in terms of raw power Sarah is more potent than Ann. And as for who is more powerful?

My guess would be that right now Ann would be the most likely winner. She can shield herself from practically anything others can attack her with, and she is extremely strong and fast when she is boosting. While she may not be vthe most powerful, she had years to hone her skills. Catherine and Sarah? Very much iffy. However, if the storm is raging, I vote for Cat!

And as for a magic drainer, well, I guess Ann can beat one as she uses her powers internally, Cat too, as she relies on her body not on any magic powers, but Sarah would be in trouble in direct confrontaton.

Faraway

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Well, gee, you didn't leave

Well, gee, you didn't leave me anything to say! *slumps off pouting* ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

*definitely a sincere reply*

*cooing* Oh, poor baby...

Well, you could have given us some great non-clue that would have sent our minds spinning. Like, for example can you tell us if there will be a magic drainer in Sarah's homeworld? If the answer is yes, we can guess if he ever meets the main characters or gets stuck somewhere in the sideline like an electric eel man from Kittyhawk. Or, even worse/better (cross the wrong one) you could answer with a definite maybe! ^_~

Faraway

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Well, I do have a magic

Well, I do have a magic drainer in a non TG story I've had rattling around in my head for a really long time... ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

A magic drainer wouldn't be

A magic drainer wouldn't be a threat to Ann or Kittyhawk, but would be for Sarah. Sarah has the most sheer power, as noted in the POWYHL crossover.

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

What with all the

magic now starting to happen on our lovely? planet.... The empty world is starting to look like a nice place to be...That is of course Saless, If you have told us everything about it!!!

Kirri

Aww, you don't like magic?

Aww, you don't like magic? ;)

Seriously, I would love for there to be an awakening of magic on Earth for real. I know there would be some bad aspects to it, maybe very bad, but I'd still love it! What can I say, I love magic!

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

It's not that

i don't like magic....Far from it.....I actually find the thought of it quite appealing, No my concern is more one of self preservation ( call it being a coward!) you would only need a few madmen with magic powers and the world starts to become a very unheathy place to be!!

Kirri

There is no gain without risk.

Cliche', I know, but undeniably true.

There are not only millions of dying people who could use magical healing, there are even more (like myself and many of us here on BCTS) who are limited by the body that they inhabit.

To be able to get an outside that matches one's inside (and I'm not just talking about gender) would be liberating to a whole lot of people. Many of us, especially us more 'experienced' types, could do a lot more and live a lot more if provided with a body that would keep up with our fertile minds.

And then, there's the magic itself. My inner engineer keeps coming up with applications to just about every magical ability that I read about.

I know what you mean, I

I know what you mean, I often read stories involving magic and go, "Why didn't you use your magic like this, then you could have taken care of that bad guy with ease!" ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

True, but I think I'd risk

True, but I think I'd risk it! ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

I wonder

how Vash knows.

I'm trying to think how that

I'm trying to think how that would work, and the only analogy that fits that I can think of is how you know you're changing altitude by the pressure in your ears. And no, I'm not saying increased magic causes pressure in Vash's ears! ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

One thing I was thinking.

One thing I was thinking. If Sarah ever went into the Star Trek universe, she would first have to puncture the galactic barrier erected around the milky way by the Q. The Q made the galactic barrier to keep Zero (a malevolent godlike being) out of the galaxy. So if she DID go to the Star Trek universe, Id expect the first person she would encounter would be Q if it was anywhere in the milky way system.

There is actually a thing with powers just like Sarah's in the Star Trek universe, and it is this things powers that let Zero go there in the first place when Q asked it to show him something new. It is the Guardian of Forever.

Wow!

I totally don't remember that! I remember Q, of course, but not this Guardian of Forever or Zero. Was that in the series, or a book, or what?

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

The Guardian of Forever ...

was the living machine as Spock called in the Star Trek classic time travel episode with Bones inadvertently causing Hitler's Germany to win WWII by saving Joan Collin's life thus delaying the US entering the war. She's the American pacifist Kirk falls in love with ... City on the Edge of Forever was the title.

As to the barrier and the ""Q, that may be from a novel.

John in Wauwatosa

P.S. Saless, NO Douglas Adams books, that blinking red Krikit ball is verrrry dangerous -- links the cores of countless stars and KA-BOOM -- thought the Starship Heart of Gold with its Infinite Improbability Drive and the Bistromathic Drive ship are way cool.

P.P.S. "burn in Hell" ? Hum. Okay Daddy dearest, Sarah has a copy of Dante's inferno or the good old St James Bible and wants to take you on a journey. As to mom I reserve judgment as we don't know if dad beat her or if she's a creep too. And the clueless teachers and doctors who never suspected child abuse ... Sarah NEEDS her friends because as all the old memories come out she will likely get VERRRY angry.

John in Wauwatosa