Venus Cursed! - Chapter 48

Printer-friendly version
Venus_Cursed_4.jpg
by Saless
Chapter 48

"In other words, yes, right?" Mike grumbled.

"More like, it's going to require a shopping trip." Erica replied.

"What for?" Mike replied.

"Those holsters I was talking about, and some arrows for Sarah." Erica replied.

"I am getting kind of low." Sarah said. "I lost a few when we got the healing water."

"That reminds me, we'll need something to put the healing water in that we can carry with us easier, too." Erica said. "Jill, I think you should carry the healing water. You're the best protected of us, and the least armed."

"Uh, okay, I guess. Where are you planning to go?" Jill asked worriedly.

"A good old fashioned dungeon crawl!" Erica replied enthusiastically. "Sarah has the book I have in mind. Some of the bad guys get killed in a dungeon, but trip most of the traps and kill many of the monsters while they're at it. All we have to do is follow behind them and clean up what they missed. With our firepower that should be pretty easy."

Jill and Sarah exchanged worried glances. "I don't know about this…" Sarah said.

"I thought we were going to try to keep the danger to a minimum?!" Jill said.

"We are. The place is mostly cleared out by the time they die, so we won't have much to do. Sarah's fireballs could probably clear the place all by themselves." Erica replied.

"And why do we want to clear the place?" Sarah asked.

"Come on, Sarah, you know why! That place has a trove of treasure including magical items we can use." Erica chided.

"Well, if it's really mostly cleared out already, I guess it could be okay." Mike said uncertainly.

"Great! Come on Sarah, let's go shopping." Erica said, grabbing Sarah's arm and leading her out. She paused at the door and said, "Why don't you get your weapons while we're out, Mike?" Mike nodded, and Erica left.

"Mike, are you sure about this?" Jill said.

Mike shrugged, "It sounds pretty safe for us. I know it's weird to think about, but we've become pretty powerful. I should be able to handle most physical threats by turning into something bigger and stronger than whatever's attacking us. Erica can nullify magical attacks and Sarah can blast anybody from a distance, as well as shooting them. And Erica has the guns and sword now. We can do a lot of damage between us. And with that healing water we should be able to heal any injuries we do get."

"I hope you're right, but we'd better be careful just the same." Jill said.

"No argument there!" Mike agreed, and left to get the swords and knife from his apartment.

He's right you know. Vash said after the door closed behind Mike.

"Oh, you're awake now, huh? Couldn't you have woken up sooner and talked them out of this?" Jill asked archly.

Even if I had, I would have agreed with them. And if I had tried to talk them out of it, I would have been handicapped by my inability to talk to Erica. Vash replied.

"I guess so. I just don't want anyone to get hurt." Jill said with a sigh as she plopped down on the couch next to Vash. He climbed into her lap and purred as she absently stroked his feathers.

Sooner or later someone will, it's inevitable. That healing water you spoke of is a very good idea. Where did you get it? Vash asked curiously. Jill recounted their visit to Xanth. Ah, yet another world, and one with strange rules. Magic that strong is usually very costly, but it seems it is commonplace in that world. Which is fortunate for us!

"Yes. I've been meaning to get that water into smaller containers, but they need to be easy to carry, too. Some kind of canteen, maybe." Jill said.

"Erica will get something like that, I'm sure." Mike said as he stepped inside with the swords and knife in his hands. "Do you want the old sword?" he asked, holding out the sword Sarah took from the prison guard.

"Why not give me the other sword?" Jill asked, looking at the ornate falchion in Mike's hands.

"It's way too heavy!" Mike said with a chuckle. "I'll have to use it with both hands as it is! You'll probably need both hands for this one, but you can handle it."

"Let me see!" Jill demanded, holding her hands out for the falchion. With a sigh Mike handed it to her. She nearly dropped it when he let go, and he was glad it was in its sheath or the blade would have been dulled when it dropped to the floor under its own weight. "Okay, maybe it is too heavy." She admitted reluctantly, letting Mike take it back from her.

"Sorry, I'd give you the falchion if it was practical, but it's not." Mike said apologetically. Jill waved that off and took the broad sword.

"Whoa, this thing isn't all that light, either!" she exclaimed, though it didn't hit the ground like the falchion had. She hefted it a few times and set it aside. "I think I can manage it, but I'll take that knife, too." She said. Mike nodded and helped her use a rope as a makeshift sword belt and attached the scabbard for the sword to it, and then attached the sheath for the knife as well.

"How's that?" Mike asked once she had both weapons secured firmly.

Jill stood and walked a circuit around the couch before sitting back down, careful to keep the sword from hitting anything. "Not bad. I'm glad I won't be carrying that monstrosity!" she said, pointing at the falchion on Mike's belt.

Mike grunted in agreement, "Yeah, it's pretty heavy. I envy Erica, really. That long sword is really light! Then again, she's also going to be carrying two guns and extra magazines for them, as well as the dagger. So maybe it's not the great deal that it seems."

"Where'd we put that healing water, anyway?" Jill asked, realizing they were still missing something.

"I knew I forgot something!" Mike said and left again. Before long he was back with two bottles of healing water.

"Only two?" Jill asked curiously.

Mike shrugged, "If we need more than two for one trip we're doing something seriously wrong!"

"Yeah, I guess you're right." Jill agreed. They set the water on the table and Jill went to retrieve Sarah's archery gear. "Erica's sword belt is in here, too!" she called out as she dug out all the stuff Sarah would need. Mike came up beside her and retrieved the belt, complete with sword and dagger, and put them on the table. Sarah's bow, quiver of arrows, and arm guard soon joined them. "I think that's everything." She said looking at the pile.

"I don't think we need this part right now, though." Mike said, pointing at the boxes of ammunition. Jill nodded and he moved those boxes into the closet.

It's too bad I've lost most of my weapons. Vash said wistfully.

"What weapons?" Jill and Mike said simultaneously.

My claws are blunted, and my teeth and fangs are much shorter and less sharp than they used to be. More importantly, there doesn't seem to be any poison on them anymore. Vash replied.

"You used to be poisonous?!" Jill exclaimed.

Yes, I was. Now all I have is my magical attack and mental powers. They are not nearly as deadly. Vash said.

"You're dangerous enough still, I think." Jill said consolingly.

I suppose I will have to depend on your mate and friends to do the damage. Vash said regretfully.

The conversation stalled after that, and Jill and Mike started a game of tennis on the Wii. Mike was winning his third consecutive game by the time Sarah and Erica returned laden with bags.

Their arrival was followed by a flurry of preparations. Sarah took her new arrows, all broad heads, and loaded them into her quiver. She arranged the arrows as best she could so that she could find the right kind of arrow when she needed it without looking. She finally resorted to tying a small piece of thread to the practice arrows so she could tell the difference. Meanwhile, Jill and Mike filled sports bottles with healing water, along with a canteen. Sarah had bought a belt to attach a sports bottle to, and Mike and Erica were able to attach them to their sword belts. Jill just used the canteen.

Erica took the longest to get ready, as she had to secure the holsters to her sword belt and also a bag she had bought to put the extra clips in. Once she had loaded up the bag and filled the holsters they were ready to go.

You still have the ring on, right? Vash asked Jill.

"Of course, I've left it on since you gave it to me." Jill replied.

Good! There's no harm in wearing it all the time, so that would be best. he said. A last check showed that they were all ready to go and Erica handed the book she'd selected to Sarah.

"Everyone ready?" Sarah asked. Everyone nodded. "Okay, let's go." She said and opened the portal.


 
To Be Continued…

up
98 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thanks

I've really been enjoying this story!

Thank you

Thank you mogelijk!

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Call me a coward

"If we need more than two for one trip we're doing something seriously wrong!"

Call me a coward, but if they need any at all they are doing something seriously wrong. Like going into dungeons for no good reason and counting on the previous visitors to have cleared all the booby traps. :-(

m

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

But if they were smart all

But if they were smart all the time there wouldn't be a story... ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Irony

Ironically, that's how I tend to play characters in pnp RPG's... and why I am often critisised for being "boring" and "not a good roleplayer." :p

Now to the

exciting bit, Off into the unknown go our intrepid explorers, FOOLS!!!! Do they not know this is a Saless story and nothing will ever be that simple!!

As you might guess i'm really getting into this story and like in all good fiction you do start to care about the characters, And that i guess is the reason why i do feel a little more discretion about where they travel too is needed, Especially now they have a young hothead in there midst!!! Mark my words that girl will lead them trouble so lets just hope Sarah has her wits about her... I have a feeling she will need them!

Kirri

Let's not give them any ideas...

If they knew I was writing this they might come visit me! ;) Thanks Kirri!

Saless

P.S. Then again, if I managed to convince them that I didn't want Sarah to use her gender changing power on me... ;)
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Never mind Venus...

...her powers are relatively puny compared to one deity I can think of...

In fact, the entire cohort of Greek deities would struggle to match the powers of this deity...

...After all, the deity I'm thinking of only needs a computer keyboard to wreak havoc on any world of her choosing...

...as long as she created the universe it sits in first!

In fact, I could be confident enough to predict that this deity has, in fact, pre-ordained the actions of all the characters in this story...

(Come on, I've given you lot enough clues by now, you shouldn't need any more to work out the identity of the particular deity I have in mind!)

 
 
--Ben


This space intentionally left blank.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Bigger fish

Like Qui-Gon Jinn said, "There's always a bigger fish." Magic swords, sci-fi pistols, and magic waters: what could go wrong? You do keep me thinking trying to figure out what book they are going into next. As for why, well they are struggling young adults. Treasure is a powerful lure. Now seeing them trying to sell it will cause other problems, with the exception of using it in barter in their otherworld travels.

Fun stuff Saless.

hugs!

grover

PS:I just thought of something else. They were told traveling to these other worlds would change them. I assumed that explained the powers they had gained. What if this traveling is changing them in even more ways such as Tiffany becoming more secretive and greedy? A price to be paid for their adventures.

The really interesting thing

The really interesting thing about trying to figure out what story I'm using is... sometimes I just make it up as I go! ;)

Thanks grover!

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

What If

The dungeon resets and THEY have to endure the traps

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Oooh!

That would be cruel, wouldn't it?! ;) Fortunately they're using a book, not a game...

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Written Stories

Since Sarah no longer needs to bring the book with her and in fact is able to link portals once she is on an adventure, it begs the question if she is actually limited to written stories. Perhaps she could go to any world she could envision. The book may only serve to focus her imagination.

Michelle B

Welll....

She did open a portal from a movie once, and there were those dreams... ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

It just

[email protected] gets gooder and gooder !! Really though , it interesting that Erica has turned into Sgt. Rock !

Cavrider----Just another " Grunt."

Every group's got to have a

Every group's got to have a gun nut, right? ;) Thanks cavrider!

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Gun Nut?

If you think she's a gun nut, you have never met a real gun nut.

Erica has one handgun at the insistence of her father, and knows how to use it. Calling her a gun nut is kind of like calling anyone who owns a car a 'car nut.'

A car nut obsesses over his vehicles, probably has a 'daily driver,' a project or two, and several 'parts cars.' Similarly, a gun nut will probably have the equipment to reload his own ammo, have several weapons, and a library full of gun literature.

Erica is simply a sensible user. I have a cousin who is a mild gun nut. There is a big difference.

Ray

Ah, such mindless fools who see guns as anything but tools.

I was raised in rural 50's Oregon, where remnants of early homesteading were still present. There was always a loaded rifle standing at the unlocked kitchen door to the house. Even at an early age, I was schooled to not touch it by parents who brooked no nonsense at all. Even before I entered school, I was toiling in the fields alongside my siblings in spite of the fact that they were much older than I. In retrospect, I think the main purpose of my presence in the feild was to keep even the most fleeting thoughts of mischief at bay. Any thoughts of non compliance were greeted by the heavy hand of my Parents or older siblings.

So it was that any 12 year old boy got a .22 short rifle as a right of passage; a sort of bar mitzvah. For girls the right of passage at my house was the first bra, the first girdle. Sis was not even allowed to leave the farm in anything but a skirt, fancy blouse and suitable scarf of the European tradition. Oddly enough, for some reason, when I became 12, I got no rifle. Can it be that even then my true nature shone thru as clearly as a bright star at night.

I served in the Vietnam Era as a Military Policeman, but even then my feminine nature quickly got me relegated to the Desk as a Clerk. Still, during our periodic training, I was always nearly perfect with the then regulatiohn .45 1911A1 pistol.

Today, I still own it's infinitely better sister, the Ruger p-90 .45. Even in my own most suicidal days, which are long past, I never considered using it on myself. After all, it is only a tool.

Khadija

I was just kidding about the

I was just kidding about the gun nut thing, I'm with you on my view of Erica in that regard. I really can't see her making her own bullets or something like that!

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Beginning to look more and more like a real R-P-G.

And I don't mean Rocket Propelled Grenade. This story sounds like a realife Role Playing Game, where the players need to collect various treasures and weapons/abilities by beating various bad guys before they are able to beat the game. Each adventure, while supposedly less dangerous, seem to actually be more dangerous and helps them work better as a team. I assume that the skills and weaponry collected will be needed when they finally break the curse. Saless must be the Gamemaster, as he controls both the characters and story.

Erica seems to becoming the leader of this intrepid band of adventurers. Being a Null is a distinct advantage for the leader.

Still having fun in your world Saless.

Hugs,
Trish-Ann
~There is no reality, only perceptions.~

Hugs,
Trish Ann
~There is no reality, only perception~

Phew!

For a minute there I thought you meant it was going to blow up in my face! ;)

Thanks Trish-Ann!

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

So....

When's the inevitable spin-off game going to be released, then? :)

 
 
--Ben


This space intentionally left blank.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Afraid not. Haven't done

Afraid not. Haven't done much offline reading at all lately, in fact...

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America