Tommy - The Trials and Tribulations of a Girl? - Chapter 204

Printer-friendly version



Tommy
The Trials and Tribulations of a Girl?

A Novel By Teddie S.

Copyright © 2019 Teddie S.
All Rights Reserved.

Chapter 204


The first barbecue. Yes!
A trip to Taos.
The Fish and Wildlife people again.
Now, why did you do this?


The past two days had been crazy. On Thursday, I’d received a phone call from a Miss King. She's a student reporter for the Daily Lobo, which is the University of New Mexico’s newspaper. Miss King wants to interview me. Why? Someone had told the paper that I was a boy who dresses as a girl.

I met with her, and when she left, she must have decided that I was a girl, because she said that the story was dead. I sure hope it is

Then there was a meeting between me, Dr. Joe, Dean Rutherford, and a Mr. Parker. Mr. Parker is the faculty advisor to the newspaper. We found out that the Dean had spoken with the people that Dr. Joe and I are doing the research for, and they had brought the FBI into it.

Friday, we had another meeting with the Dean, Agent Adams of the FBI, and Dr. Fontheim from Los Alamos. When all was said and done, we decided that we’d talk with the boy in the Dean’s office on Monday at one.

Later on Friday, Charlie, Jackie, Ajie, and I headed to the resort for the first barbecue of the year. As we’d pulled up to my aunt and uncle’s house, Uncle Paul came running out of the house and commandeered Ajie and Jackie. It appeared that someone at the spa was having a heart attack.

And the last thing he said to me was, “Kai, in case I’m not back in time, you’re in charge of the barbecue.”

And, without thinking, I said, “Okay, Uncle Paul.”

As Uncle Paul, Ajie, and Jackie disappeared, what Uncle Paul had said hit me. I was in charge of the barbecue! I can’t do that. Can I?

Charlie and I walked into the house, and my Aunt Ruth was there. As I set the camera case on the kitchen table, I asked, “Aunt Ruth, what’s going on?”

“They called from the spa, and it appears that someone is having a heart attack. So your Uncle Paul ran up there. Where’s Ajie and Jackie?”

“He grabbed them and took them with him. And as they ran off, he told me that I was in charge of the barbecue. I can’t run the barbecue. I don’t know how to organize it.”

“Don’t worry, Kai. The chef from the restaurant takes care of the food. The dancers and the musicians will be here. All you have to do is what you always do.”

“Always do?”

“Introduce everyone and say the food’s ready.”

“I guess I know how to do that.”

We then heard the sirens as the fire department showed up. And twenty minutes later, Uncle Paul, Ajie, and Jackie walked into the house, and no one looked happy. I asked, “What happened?”

Ajie shook her head and said, “We worked on the guy, but he didn’t make it.”

“So, was it a heart attack?”

“I feel that it was. But there was no way for us to tell for sure.”

I looked at Jackie, and I could tell that she was having problems, so I said, “Jackie, are you okay?”

Jackie shook her head no.

“What’s wrong, honey.”

“It’s the first time that she’s seen someone die this way.”, Ajie said.

“It’s the first time that I’ve ever seen anyone die.”, Jackie said.

I looked at Ajie, then at Jackie, and as I offered Jackie my hand, I said, “Jackie, honey, come with me.”

Jackie took my hand, I led her out onto the patio, and we sat on the glider. Then I took both of her hands in mine and said, “Honey, I know that death can be traumatic. Let me tell you a story about Amy. 

“Back when Amy was doing her clinical work in the emergency room in Columbus, they brought in some people from a traffic accident. One of those people was a little girl, and they handed her to Amy. This girl had been standing up in the backseat of one of the cars. She died in Amy’s arms.”

“Oh my God.”, Jackie said. “That poor little girl. And it must have been so hard on Amy.”

“It was, but Amy talked to a friend, Patty, she's also an ER nurse, and that helped Amy a bunch.”

“I just don’t know if I can handle things like that.”

“Jackie, Amy has told me that it’s still hard to see someone die. But she looks at it as part of caring for people and takes it in stride. Amy also doesn’t hold her feeling inside. She talks with someone, usually me, about it. And you should do that too.”

“I … I don’t know if Charlie would talk to me about these things.”

“Honey, he loves you. He’ll be a good person to talk to.”

“You … You think?”

“No, I know. Now sit here, and I’m going to have Amy come out here, and I want you to talk to her.”

“What about the barbecue?”

“Don’t worry about the barbecue. There’s plenty of time.”

“Kai, thank you.”

“For what?”

“For being you. You … You’ve helped me to feel better.”

I smiled and said, “That’s what friends are for.”

I let go of Jackie’s hands, stood, and said, “Stay here, and I’ll have Amy come out.”

“Okay.”, Jackie said.

I went into the house, and I knew that Amy and Charlie had been watching us through the window. I looked at Amy and said, “Do you remember the talk that you and Patty had when that little girl died in your arms?”

“I’ll never forget it.”, Amy said.

“Jackie needs that talk from a friend.”

“We’ll be right back in.”

As Amy walked out onto the patio, I looked at Charlie and said, “Charlie, are you a good listener?”

“I think so.”, Charlie said.

“Good. Because whenever something like this happens to Jackie, she’ll need someone to talk to. Amy and I talk every time that there’s a death at the ER that she’s involved with. Sometimes it’s only a few words, but other times it’s a deep discussion.”

“I can see where that can help.”

“It can. It helps to be able to talk with someone that understands you.”

Then Aunt Ruth asked, “Kai, is Jackie going to be all right?”

“Yes.”, I replied. “A good talk with Amy will help.”

“I’m worried about her.”

“She’ll be fine. Amy went through this the first time someone died. It was a little girl, and she was in Amy’s arms.”

“That must have been traumatic.”

“It was. It affected everyone in the ER.

“I’m going to get ready for the barbecue. Come on, Charlie. Let’s get our suitcases.”

Charlie and I brought the suitcases into the house, and as we walked back through the kitchen, Aunt Ruth said, “Charlie, there’s a change of clothes for you in your room.”

“Why?”, Charlie asked.

“We figured that since you’re going to be working here this summer that you need to get into the spirit of the resort.”

“What kind of clothes?”

“Like you’ve worn before, the red shirt, white linen pants, a red headscarf, and moccasins.”

“It’s what all the male employees wear to the barbecue.”, I said.

“Why not.”, Charlie said.

As Charlie and I walked back to the bedrooms, I looked out the window at Amy and Jackie sitting on the patio, and they were hugging each other. I had a good feeling.

This is the first barbecue of the year, and I was going with fancy dress, the white Biil dress, wrap moccasins, my hair in a single braid with a fancy wrap at the end, one of the braided leather headbands with the Eagle feather. And of course, a Concho belt. Plus two bracelets, a few rings, a squash blossom necklace, and the choker that both of my grandfathers made. And the silver feather earrings. It felt so good to dress up like this again.

As I walked back into the kitchen, Ajie, Jackie, Charlie, and my aunt and uncle were there. My aunt saw me and said, “Talk about fancy dress.”

Everyone looked at me, and I just smiled.

I looked at Jackie and asked, “Feeling better?”

“Yes, Kai.”, Jackie said. “You were right. Talking with someone was a big help. And you and Amy are the best.”

“I’m glad. Just remember that when something like that happens again, talk with someone. Don’t dwell on it.”

“And, Kai, I thought I’ve seen you dressed up before. But this takes the cake.”

“I just like to dress up when we’re at the barbecue.”

“Come on Jackie.”, Amy said. “We’d better get changed for the barbecue, or we’ll be late.”

“Jackie, there’s some fancy clothes in your room for you.”, Aunt Ruth said. “But, nothing like what Kai is wearing.”

Amy and Jackie disappeared down the hallway to the bedrooms. And, a short time later, Ajie and Jackie returned. Ajie was wearing the red Biil dress, with just about the same type of jewelry that I was wearing. Her hair was done it two braids with fancy ends, and the colored leather strips braided into them. She was also wearing the other braided leather headband with the Eagle feather.

Jackie was dressed like Aunt Ruth was, with a long skirt, fancy blouse, moccasins, and a Concho belt. Her hair was in a straight look with a beaded headband.

Ajie looked at Jackie, and said, “What do you think, Kai. Does she need a choker?”

“Most definitely.”, I said. “And some earrings.”

Ajie grabbed Jackie’s hand and took her back to the bedrooms. When they came back, Jackie had on a choker and a pair of beaded earrings.

As the six of us walked towards where the barbecue is held, we got a whiff of the food cooking. And I said, “I’ve missed this.”

“Me too.”, Ajie said.

“Does it taste as good as it smells?”, Charlie asked.

“Better.”, I replied. “But, we have to get there before Uncle Paul does.”

“Kai!”, Uncle Paul said.

I looked at Uncle Paul and just grinned.

As we continued to walk, we met up with some of the guests that were heading for the barbecue. We received smiles and some comments as to how we were dressed. As we got closer, we started hearing the musicians. And I asked, “Uncle Paul, are the dancers here too.”

“Yes.”, Uncle Paul replied. “But, I don’t think that Dibe is home from school yet.”

“Oh, well.”

“She should be here next week or the week after.”

“Good. I want to see how school went this year.”

As we walked into the barbecue area, we saw some guests watching the dancers or walking around. And I noticed that Chief Kinlicheeny was here, as was Naainish, and a few other men in fancy dress that I didn’t know. So I asked, “Uncle Paul, I’m seeing some special guests.”

“Yes, Kai.”, Uncle Paul said. “I have a list for you.”

Then I saw Chief Clah, and said, “Oh, I see Chief Clah is here. I don’t remember him being here at all last year. Is this a first for him?”

“Yes, he’s never been here before.”, Uncle Paul replied.

“Did I tell you about the car club meeting?”

“I don’t think so.”

“Dean Rutherford invited us to bring the ‘57 Chevy to his car club meeting. We took it and the ‘53 Corvette to the meeting. Chief Clah’s a member of the club, and he brought his ‘56 Corvette to the meeting. The club gives a plaque for the best car at the meeting, and Chief Clah wins more than not. But he didn’t win that night. We did with the Corvette.”

“That had to be funny.”

“It was.”

As he handed me a sheet of paper, Uncle Paul said, “Here’s the list of guests.”

As I looked it over, I saw some interesting names. There were a couple of clan Chiefs, including Chief Tom. The Sheriff of Taos County was here. And of course Chief Clah and Chief Kinlicheeny. Then I said, “An interesting list, Uncle Paul.”

Charlie, Jackie, Ajie, and I went and watched the dancers for a little while. I sure missed Dibe not being here.

I saw Uncle Paul wave at me, I excused myself and walked to where Uncle Paul and all of the special guest were. He told me that the food was almost ready and to go ahead with the introductions.

I looked at all of the guests, Chief Clah saw me, and said, “Miss Nez, what a pleasant surprise.”

I smiled, and said, “Chief Clah, I hope you're enjoying your first visit to the barbecue?”

“I have. It’s been fun.”

“I’m glad. Excuse me. I have to get to work.”

“You work here?”

“Not really. It’s just a fun thing that my uncle has me do.”

I waited for the dancers to finish their current dance. I then raised my hand to signal the musicians and dancers, then I picked up the microphone and said, “Ladies and gentlemen, my name is Kai Nez, and I would like to offer you the following old Navajo greeting.

“Yá'át'ééh! Nizhonigó íiná aadóó hozhónahasdlíí.”

Then I said, “For those of you that don’t speak Navajo, I just said, ‘Hello! It is good, and all is harmony around us.’

“The staff of the resort and I would like to welcome you to the first barbecue of the year. The food is almost ready. But first, we have a few special guests that we’d like to recognize.

“Our first special guest is the Chief of the Navajo Nation, Chief Kinlicheeny.”

Chief Kinlicheeny just stepped forward and raised his hand. He received a nice round of applause. Then he stepped back.

Then I said, “I think it’s our next guest's first visit with us. He is Chief Clah, the War Chief of the Navajo Nation.”

And he received a nice round of applause. I then introduced the other chiefs, each the head of a clan. I ended with Chief Tom as he’s the newest of the Clan Chiefs. Each Chief received a nice round of applause.

Then I introduced Naainish with, “I know I’ve been a little long-winded, and you’re hungry. But I have one more person to introduce, and then we can eat.”

Naainish walked up and joined me. I then said, “Ladies and gentlemen, this is Naainish Yazzie. Naainish is a Navajo medicine-man, and he has a short prayer for us. And then we can eat.

“And I’ll guarantee that you are about to enjoy a fantastic Southwestern barbecue.”

I handed the microphone to Naainish, and he said a short prayer, then I took the microphone back and said, “Ladies and gentlemen, the food is ready. Enjoy!”

As everyone went to get in line, I walked over to where Ajie, Charlie, and Jackie were. And Jackie said, “Kai, you looked like you were having fun.”

“It is fun.”, I said. “But, don’t tell Uncle Paul I said that.”

“Don’t tell Uncle Paul you said what?”, I heard Uncle Paul say.

“Oh! Hi, Uncle Paul.”

“Don’t hi Uncle Paul me, young lady. What aren't they supposed to tell me?”

“Ah. Oh. Nothing, Uncle Paul.”

“Hmm.”

“We’d better get in line for food.”, I said.

Ajie, Charlie, Jackie, and I headed for the food line. When we got there, we were right behind Chief Clah and his wife, Mai. The Chief turned and said, “Miss Nez, you didn’t bring that Corvette tonight, did you?”

“No, sir.”, I said. “It’s home in bed.”

Then I said, “Yá’át’ééh alní'íní, Mai. - (Good evening, Mai.)”

She looked at us and said, “Yá’át’ééh alní'íní, t'áá ájíltso. - (Good evening, everyone.)”

“Mai, I haven’t forgotten about the talk you want to have,”

“That’s all right, Kai. I know you’ve been busy moving into the new house.”

“And we have a new research project too. But we’ll get together soon.”

“That would be good.”

“Chief, I do have something that I need to talk to you about. So, maybe we could eat together in a quiet spot.”

“I think we could do that.”, Chief Clah said.

My aunt and uncle were right behind us, so I turned and said, “Aunt Ruth and Uncle Paul, would you please join us too.”

“Of course.”, Aunt Ruth said.

After we’d gotten our food, the eight of us found a table that was a little out of the main area. And as we ate, I filled all of them in on what was going on. I told them about being approached by the reporter from the university’s newspaper about not being a girl and how I’d handled it. And because of who I am and who I’m doing research for the FBI got involved.

Chief Clah asked, “It sounds like you’re handling this correctly. But, the FBI? Just who are you doing research for?”

I looked at him and said, “The Los Alamos National Laboratory.”

The Chief stared at me for a few seconds, then just said, “Oh!”

“They’re concerned about what the boy’s agenda might be. If there is one.”

“I see.”

Uncle Paul then said, “Kai, do we need to talk to your Uncle Gaagii?”

“No, at least not yet.”, I replied.

“If that’s Gaagii Haskie. I don’t want to know about it.”, Chief Clah said.

I just smiled.

Then the Chief added, “And, Kai, before it goes too far, talk with me again.”

“I will.”

“But, I think that the way that you’re approaching the boy is good. And hopefully, you can keep the FBI out of it.”

“So do I. I know the Agent that’s involved, and he’s going to sit in the background.”

“If you want me to sit in, I’ll be happy to.”

“Thanks, Chief, but I think the fewer people who are there, the better. I don’t want to scare the boy.”

“Kai.”, Jackie said. “Are you going to flunk him?”

“No.”, I replied. “He’s an above-average student and has done well on all the tests. He’ll get the grade that he earns.”

We continued talking about it. And when I mentioned that I’d thought about saying something about the Nádleeh – (two spirit people) to the reporter, but didn’t, Chief Clah asked, “Why not, Kai?”

“I didn’t feel that good about her.”, I replied. “She was okay, but I felt that she wouldn't be a good one to talk to about two spirit people.”

“Kai.”, Mai, Chief Clah’s wife, said. “Being an English instructor at the university, I know most of the student reporters at the Daily Lobo. There are a couple that are natives, and one is a Navajo. I wonder if the one that’s a Navajo might be interested in writing an article for the paper.”

“It’s a shame that they don’t publish during the summer.”, I said.

“If we get it to them on Monday, they may be able to write something and maybe put it in the final edition for the spring term.”

“We’d probably have to do that on Monday.”

“Probably.”

“It might be better to wait until the fall quarter so that it wouldn’t be rushed. And maybe I could get some guidance from Mr. Bylilly on it.”

“I’ve heard that name before.”, Mai said. “Who is he?”

“He’s the editor of the Navajo Times.”, I replied.

Mai just looked at me. Then Chief Clah said, “Mai, didn’t I tell you that Kai knows people.”

Mai shook her head and said, “I guess she does.”

After we’d finished eating, the six of us decided to hike up the cliff trail and watch a Sunset. I guess my feet must be getting tougher as I only felt the bigger rocks on the trail. As we approach the top of the trail, I heard something. And when we at the top, as I feared, there was a large thunderstorm west of us, and moving quickly towards us.

I stopped and said, “We need to get off the cliff.”

“Why?”, Mai Clah asked.

“You don’t want to be up here during a thunderstorm. It’s not safe.”

I looked, and there were maybe a dozen quests up here. I walked over to them and said, “I’d suggest that we get off the clifftop and soon.”

“Why?”, some guy asked. “It’s interesting watching the storm.”

“Sir.”, I said. “That storm is moving fast and will be here soon. Last year we had to come up here and take some guy off of the clifftop because he stayed up here to watch a storm. He was hit by lightning.”

“Was he okay?”

“No. He died. So, I strongly suggest that we get off of here.”

I didn’t have to say anymore. We walked down off the cliff as a group. And I noticed that the bonfire wasn’t lit. As we continued walking down the trail, we heard the thunder get louder and louder. Then the rain hit, and by the time we made it to the hotel, everyone was wet. We stood inside the hotel lobby and watched the rain come down in buckets. Then there was a bright flash and a loud clap of thunder. Ajie jumped and grabbed my arm.

The room clerk walked over to the group with an arm full of towels and passed then out. We all thanked her.

As we were watching the rain come down, my uncle, wearing a slicker, walked up to us and said, “It looked like you got caught in the rain, Kai.”

“Just a little.”, I replied.”

“I’d say more than a little. You looked like a drowned rat.”

“Oh, thanks, Uncle Paul! Did you bring slickers for the rest of us?”

“No. The storm is a quick mover and won’t last long.”

“If you say so, Noah.”

Sorry to say, but Uncle Paul was right. It was a fast-moving storm and was out of here in less than half an hour. But in that half an hour, the rain had soaked the wood that was laid for the bonfire, so no bonfire tonight. We said hágoónee' – (see you later) to Chief Clah and his wife. And they headed back to Albuquerque.

Charlie, Jackie, Ajie, Uncle Paul, and I headed back to the house and dry clothes.

Once we were dried off and in dry clothes and were sure the storm was gone, we went out on the patio. The patio furniture was wet, so that got that dried off. Then Charlie helped me lay a new fire with dry wood. Ajie and Jackie went back into the kitchen and put together something to drink. While they were gone, I lit the fire. When Ajie and Jackie brought the drinks out, we sat, stargazed, and talked about what we were going to do tomorrow. We figured that we’d go to Taos and do the tourist thing, then maybe have lunch at Mary Esther Winter’s Adobe Cafe in the Taos Pueblo. Then if there’s time, when we were back at the resort, we’d enjoy the spa.

That night after we were in bed, another thunderstorm rolled through. And my Queen needed to be comforted.

Saturday morning, after we had an excellent breakfast, we headed to Taos. And we were there just before nine. We started walking around town, looking at the various shops, buildings, and historic sites. About an hour after we’d arrived, we walked past the Kit Carson Home and Museum. Charlie said, “Kai, I know that you don’t like Kit Carson. But, would you mind if Jackie and I went in?”

“No, Charlie.”, I said. “We’ll just sit out here and wait for you.”

As Charlie and Jackie went into the museum, Ajie and I found a bench to sit on. Now, remember, we were dressed as we usually are when we went places, long skirts, fancy blouses, moccasins, silver jewelry, and our hair was done up nicely. So as people walked past us, we were looked at.

Finally, two couples stopped, and one of the men asked, “Can we take your picture?”

I looked at him and asked, “Why?”

“You’re part of the museum. Aren’t you?”

“No, sir.”

“But, you’re just sitting here.”

“We’re waiting for our friends that are inside. We want nothing to do with Carson.”

“Why? He’s a hero and a famous American.”

“Not to the Navajo people. He’s more of an infamous than famous.”

“Why?”

“Why? Because he waged war against our people and tried to wipe then out just because we refused to be confined to a reservation. He forced more than eight thousand of our people, the Navajo people, on a three hundred mile walk from their homes to the Bosque Redondo Reservation. Almost a third of the people died while they were forced to stay on the reservation.

“The Cherokee People had their ‘Trail of Tears’, the Navajo had their Hwéeldi or ‘Long Walk.’ Kit Carson was no friend of the Navajo.”

One of the women said, “Cliff, I don’t want to go in there.”

“I don’t think I want to either.”, the man said.

The woman then said, “Girls, thanks for telling us that story.”

“I just wish that they’d teach the truth in the schools.”, Ajie said.

The two couples then walked away. Shortly Charlie and Jackie walked back out of the museum, and Jackie said, “You know there’s nothing in there about Carson and his war against the Navajo.”

“That doesn’t surprise me.”, I said. “They probably only mention the supposedly good things.”

“You should have been out here.”, Ajie said.

“Why?”, Jackie asked.

Ajie went on to tell Charlie and Jackie what had happened between us and the two couples. When Ajie finished, Jackie said, “At least four people know the truth.”

I looked at Ajie and asked, “Ajie, do you remember Quah Ah’s phone number?”

“Sure, Taos 9705.”, Ajie replied. “Why?”

“Let’s call her and see if she wants to join us for lunch.”

“Good idea.”

We found a payphone, I called the operator and asked her for Taos 9705. After Quah Ah answered, we agreed to meet at Adobe Cafe for lunch in half an hour. And, half an hour later, we were walking into the Adobe Cafe, and Quah Ah met us with hugs. We enjoyed a lovely lunch and talked with Quah Ah.

Later, after we were back at the resort, we took a hike. We walked up the cliff trail and picked up the P’osi Loop Trail, which is an easy one and a half-mile trail. When we reached the ruins of the P’osi Pueblo, we stopped and looked at the ruins for a minute. Then we met one of the local residents, a rattlesnake. It was lying on a rock sunning itself. We stopped and looked at it for a minute. The rattlesnake greeted us with a shake of his rattle. Jackie asked, “Kai, aren’t you afraid of the snake?”

“No.”, I replied. “But I respect them. And give them the space that they deserve.”

“Good idea.”, Charlie said.

As we came off of the P’osi Pueblo trail, we walked over to the small tree. I’m still amazed that this has grown out of what I thought was a dead piece of the tree that was hit by lightning. We looked at the tree for a minute, then went back to the house, grabbed our swimsuits, and headed for the spa. As we walked into the spa, we stopped at the desk to see if the four of us could get a massage after we’d soaked for half an hour. And a little over a half an hour later, I was lying on a massage table enjoying a massage.

Dinner that night was just a relaxing meal, that the four of us made for my aunt and uncle. Charlie, Jackie, Ajie, and I then watched a beautiful Sunset. And as we walked back down the cliff trail, we saw that there was a bonfire. I looked at Ajie and asked, “Want to meditate with me?”

“Of course.”, Ajie said.

When we reached the bonfire, I said, “I’ll be right back. I want to run and grab a rug at the house.”

As I turned to run to the house, I almost ran into Aunt Ruth. She was standing behind me, holding a rug. She smiled and said, “I thought that you might want this.”

As I took the rug from her, I said, “Thanks, Aunt Ruth.”

“You’re welcome, honey.”

Ajie and I walked over to where we usually sit. I spread the blanket out, and Ajie and I sat next to each other. I whispered to her, “I wonder if Naainish will show up.”

“He will.”, Ajie whispered back.”

“How do you know?”

“Look over to where everyone is standing.”

I looked and saw Naainish. I just shook my head. We then heard Naainish start to chant, I turned my attention to the spirit of the fire and started quietly chanting along with Naainish.

Ajie and I sat there, meditating and chanting for about five minutes. After Naainish finished chanting, Ajie and I sat there for about five more minutes. As we got up, I looked to where everyone was, and they, including the guests, were looking at us. 

As we walked over to them, Jackie said, “Guys, it’s amazing. When you’re sitting there like that, you draw everyone into what you're doing. It’s like we’re feeling what you’re feeling.”

Ajie said, “I know. At first, when Kai was meditating by herself, and I was standing here, I felt things. And I knew that I had to join her.”

“That is special.”, Naainish said. “Most won’t feel that way, Ajie. You feel it because you are in Kai’s heart.”

I looked at Naainish and asked, “And just why are you here, Naainish Yazzie?”

“Because I felt that you were troubled, Kai Nez.”

“I was. But I think that everything has worked itself out or will.”

Naainish smiled, nodded yes, and said, “Yes, Kai Nez, you have found the answer to your problem. You will help the boy that has wronged you.”

I thought, ‘How in the world did you know?’

Naainish just smiled.

I shook my head.

Then as we always do, we walked around talking with the guests until the fire died down. Later as Charlie, Jackie, Ajie, and I were walking back to the house, Jackie asked, “Kai, how did Naainish know about the problem at school with the boy?”

“Jackie.”, I said. “I don’t know. But, as he and I say, we see things, we feel things, we know things that we have no way of knowing, yet we know.”

“Kai, some of the things that you do should scare me, but they don’t. I feel very at ease with you and Ajie.”

Sunday morning after we’d helped my aunt make breakfast frybread tacos. I called Iz at the Santa Ana Pueblo and told him that we’d be at Jemez Canyon Reservoir in about two hours if he, and his wife, Nita, would like to visit the Eagles. He said that they’d see us in two hours.

Later as we pulled into the parking area of the reservoir, we were the only ones there. But we were shortly joined by Iz and Nita. After greeting them, we walked the trail to where the Eagle’s nest is.

As we walked up to where we have a good view of the nest, we were treated to an interesting site. We watched as one of the Eaglets, who was standing on the edge of the nest, exercise his wings. He would flap his wings and jump up a little like he wanted to fly. He would get a little airborne. Then he’d land back on the nest.

A few minutes later, he was joined by the rest of his family. The two adult Eagles walked over to the edge, followed by the other two Eaglets. The first thing that was said by any of us was when Iz said, “They are getting big.”

“It won’t be long until they leave the nest.”, I said.

“I wish I had my camera.”, Ajie said.

Nita said, “I have mine.” And she took some pictures.

The other two Eaglets showed off by exercising their wings.

We’d been standing there for about ten minutes when the two Eagles took off. They were probably going off to look for food for there three rapidly growing children. Then we headed back to the parking lot.

As we were walking through the gate, Iz said, “Kai, the people from Fish and Wildlife want to see the Eagles again.”

I stopped walking, looked at Iz, and said, “I don’t know, Iz. After what they tried, I don’t know if I want them around. And I don’t know how the Eagles will take to it. They might not even show up.”

“I know, Kai. I have second thoughts about it too.”

“The Eaglets will be leaving the nest soon. And after what we saw today, I wouldn’t be surprised if it happens in the next week or two.”

“You may be right.”

“This coming week is the last week of classes, and graduation is next weekend, then it’s finals week.”

I thought for a minute. Then Ajie said, “Kai, the practice for graduation is next Saturday afternoon. If you want to do this, we could do this next Saturday morning.”

“That’s a thought.”, I said. Then I started walking up the trail to the parking lot, and everyone followed me. I was thinking about this. Should we bring the people here from the Fish and Wildlife Service or not?

When we reached the parking lot, I said, “Iz, I don’t want anyone but Miss Rankin and Mr. McMasters from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service here. And any of the six of us that want to be here. And, if you can, let’s do it at nine next Saturday.”

“That’s okay by me.”, Iz said. “I’ll get ahold of the people from Fish and Wildlife. And I’ll let you know if they can’t make it.”

“Tell them that we feel that the Eaglets won’t be in the nest much longer.”

We said hágoónee' to Iz and Nita and headed to the house. When we were there, Charlie and Jackie headed to the university. And, Amy and I did housework, which included grocery shopping. I looked at the woodpile and made a mental note to call and have some firewood delivered.

That evening Amy and I were sitting out in the courtyard watching the stars, and she said, “You know it won’t be long until we have company.”

“I know our parents will be out here the weekend of finals week. And then Bill and Bridget will be here.”

“I know, and I’m glad that our finals are early in the week.”

“Me too. And I hope our caps and gowns don’t make it in time.”

“Honey.”, Amy said. “Attending graduation is part of being a faculty member.”

“I know. But the speeches are always boring.”

“Oh, hush. Just sit back, relax, and enjoy the peace and quiet.”

Monday started like it usually does, teach classes, go to the office, and then to lunch with Dr. Joe. But instead of working on the project, we were having a meeting. A meeting with the boy that went to the university’s newspaper about me being a boy dressed as a girl.

At twelve-thirty, Dr. Joe and I walked into the College of Engineering’s Dean’s office. Sara looked up at us and said, “Go on back. He’s expecting you.”

I smiled at Sara and said, “Thanks.”

Dr. Joe and I walked back to the Dean’s office, and Dr. Joe knocked. We heard a “Come.”

Dr. Joe opened the door for me and followed me into the office. I was happy to only see Dean Rutherford and Special Agent Adams of the FBI here. The Dean said, “Dr. Oshie, Miss Kai, the boy has a one o’clock class upstairs. Sara will be there at one, tell him that I want to see him, then she’ll bring him here.”

“That’s good.”, I said. “Why don’t the four of us sit at one end of the conference table. If I’m going to run this, as I hope I am, I’ll sit at one end of the table, Dean, you can sit on my left, and Dr. Joe on my right. And, Mr. Adams, you can sit behind me. Then Mr. Schoonover can sit at the other end of the table.”

“You have a take-charge attitude. Don’t you, Miss Kai.?”, the Dean asked.

“Yes, sir. If I’m going to be the one talking to Mr. Schoonover, I have to have that mindset.”

“I see. It’s your show, Miss Nez.”

“Thank you, sir.”

I looked at Special Agent Adams and said, “Agent Adams, I’ll introduce you as Mr. Adams. And I won’t call on you unless I see that it’s necessary. Also, I suggest that you move your badge from your belt to someplace where it can’t be seen.”

I watched as Agent Adams removed his badge from his belt and placed it in his suit coat pocket. And, I said, “Thank you, Agent Adams.”

At a few minutes to one, we all took our seats. And waited.

It was a few minutes after one when there was a knock on the door. I said, “Come in.”

The door opened, and we saw Sara and Mr. Schoonover.

I said, “Mr. Schoonover, please join us. Thank you, Sarah.”

Mr. Schoonover looked around, and said, “Miss Nez, what … what’s going on?”

“Please have a seat, Mr. Schoonover. We need to talk.”

As he walked into the room and Sara closed the door, he said, “What … What did I do, Miss Nez?”

“Have you done something?”

“I … I don’t know.”

“Have a seat, and we’ll talk.”

Mr. Schoonover slowly walked over to the table, set his books down, and took a seat. I was feeling something from him. What was it?

I then said, “Mr. Schoonover, you know who I am. Sitting on my left is Dean Rutherford, the Dean of the College of Engineering. On my right is Dr. Oshie. He’s my preceptor for my graduate studies. The gentleman sitting behind us is Mr. Adams.

“Everyone, this is Mr. Schoonover. He’s a sophomore and a student in my Computer Design class.”

“Miss Nez, what’s this all about?”, Mr. Schoonover nervously asked.

“Well. Mr. Schoonover, I’ll come right to the point. Last Thursday, I had a visit from a reporter from the Daily Lobo.”

Mr. Schoonover’s eyes got big.

I continued with, “You seem surprised, Mr. Schoonover. You shouldn’t be. You went to the newspaper with some information about me, some hearsay information about me. And even if it was correct, it’s not good to spread rumors. Is it, Mr. Schoonover?”

“I guess not, Miss Nez.”, Mr. Schoonover said.

“It’s not a guess, Mr. Schoonover. So why did you do it?”

“I didn’t do anything.”

“Mr. Schoonover, you are not telling me the truth. I know that you told them that you thought that I was a boy dressed as a girl. Didn’t you?”

“No, Miss Nez. I didn’t.”

“Then who did?”

“I don’t know, Miss Nez.”

“Mr. Schoonover, you are lying to me. And that’s not a good thing.”

“No, Miss Nez. I’m not.”

“Mr. Schoonover, first I can feel that you’re lying to me.”, I said. “You’re not looking at me. And secondly, we were told that you did it.”

“I … I guess I did.”

“Thank you, Mr. Schoonover, for admitting that you did it.

"Now, you need to realize that as part of my graduate studies that I do research for the university, and that research usually involves an outside organization. And what I’m researching now does involve an outside organization.

“When the organization that I’m currently researching for, got wind of this, they got a little nervous that you might have an agenda. And that agenda might cause problems with the research that I’m doing. And that brought other people into this.

“The best thing that you can do right now is to help yourself. Right now, it’s just between the four of us. But, to keep it from going further, you need to be truthful with us and tell us why you did this?”

I saw the tears start. Again I felt something from him. What was it?

“Oh, God. What have I done?”, Mr. Schoonover sobbed.

“Mr. Schoonover, take a minute to compose yourself and then just tell us why you did it.”, I said.

We sat there for a minute and allowed Mr. Schoonover to compose himself. Then I said, “Well, Mr. Schoonover?”

“Miss Nez.”, Mr. Schoonover said. “I needed to find a job on campus for next year, and I was visiting the various departments on campus, putting out feelers. I stopped at this one department, and I got talking with this guy.

“As he and I talked, he found out that I was an electrical engineering major. He also found out that I was raised in a very strict, religious home. My father’s a minister. And he asked what classes I was taking, and I told him. Then he asked if I’d ever had you as an instructor. And I told him I was currently in a class that you were teaching.

“Then we talked about how I felt about homosexuals and people who weren’t what they appeared to be. I told him that I’d been taught that it was against nature and God. Then he told me that he’d heard that you were a guy.”

I felt that he was telling us the truth, but there was more to it than what he’d told us so far. So, I asked, “Is there more Mr. Schoonover?”

“Yeah.”

“And?”

“He told me that if I would go to the Daily Lobo and tell them about you that he’d guarantee me a job next year.”

“What was his name?”, I asked.

“I’m terrible with names. But good with faces.”

“So, you don’t know his name, but you’d know him if you saw him?”

“Yes.”, Mr. Schoonover replied.

“What department does he work for?”

“Student Housing.”

I glanced at Dr. Joe, and he glanced at me. Then I thought, ‘ Student Housing? Hmm. Could this be Mr. McLaughlin, the head of Student Housing? Is he trying to get back at me?’

Then I felt Agent Adams move up behind me, and he whispered, “We have people, sketch artists, who are good at drawing faces while talking to someone.”

“Mr. Schoonover.”, I said. “I don’t feel that we should take you to point this guy out to us. So, would you be willing to work with a sketch artist and see if they can come up with a drawing of this guy's face?”

“Why is this so important.”

“Do you remember me telling you that the organization that I’m researching for got nervous that you might have an agenda, and they brought other people in?”

“Yes, Miss Nez, I do. But I don’t have an agenda.”

“I don’t think that you do. But, to be honest with you, Mr. Schoonover, Mr. Adams is one of those other people. And it isn’t Mr. Adams. It’s Special Agent Adams of the FBI.”

“Oh, God! I’m going to jail?”

“No, Mr. Schoonover. You are not going to jail.”

“Then … Then you’re going to kick me out of school.”

“No, we’re not going to kick you out of school.”

“But, you have to learn how your actions affect others.”

“I’m sorry, Miss Nez.”

“Mr. Schoonover, I feel that you are sorry.”

“I am Miss Nez. I’m sorry I did that. You're a wonderful instructor.”

“Thank you.”

“But thinking that you were a guy and were dressed like a girl really got to me.”

What he just said didn’t sit right. He wasn’t telling the truth. But why.

“Mr. Schoonover, do you have any more classes today?”

“No, my last class today was at one.”

“I would like to talk to you alone. If I could?”

“Why?”

“I want to get to know you better. Maybe understand why you did this.”

“I guess I could.”

“I also think Mr. Adams would like you to go with him to the FBI office to work on a sketch.”

“Miss Nez.”, Mr. Adams said. “I’ll have the sketch artist come here.”

“Is that alright with you, Mr. Schoonover?”

“Yes, Miss Nez.”, Mr. Schoonover said.

“I want to speak to these gentlemen alone for a minute. So would you please go to the outer office and have a seat. Then I’ll come and get you, and you and I can talk. Okay?”

“Okay, Miss Nez.”

Mr. Schoonover got up and left the Dean’s office. Mr. Adams got up and made a phone call to his office. Then I asked, “Mr. Adams, what did you think?”

“I think he was duped by whoever he was talking to in the Housing Office.”

“I agree with you. I feel that he was telling us the truth. But he’s hiding something else.”

“Is that why you want to talk to him alone?”

“Yes, I think he may tell me if we’re alone. I’ll take him up to my office.”

“The sketch artist will be here within the hour.”

“That should work. I don’t think our little talk will take that long. When the sketch artist gets here, have the Dean’s secretary call me.”

“I’ll do that, Miss Nez. And, Miss Nez, listening to you was something else. You just drew things out of him without threatening him.”

“She can do things like that.”, Dean Rutherford said. “I’ve heard her do it before, and it just amazes me.”

“And, Dean.”, I said. “Please don’t plan any academic discipline against him.”

“Are you sure, Miss Nez?”, Dean Rutherford asked.

“Yes, sir. We’ll talk later. But, I have a feeling that Mr. McLaughlin, the head of Student Housing, has something to do with this.”

“Why is that, Miss Nez?”

“Remember the fire?”

“Who could forget it.”

“Mr. McLaughlin and I butted heads over the installation of smoke detectors and who would do it.”

“Care to fill me in on this fire and Mr. McLaughlin?”, Agent Adams asked.

“I’ll let Dean Rutherford fill you in. I want to get with Mr. Schoonover.”

I said so long, and as Dr. Joe and I were walking out of the Dean’s office, I heard Agent Adams say, “Dean Rutherford, she was very interesting to listen to. I’m glad I don’t have anything to hide.”

As Dr. Joe walked with me to the outer office, he asked, “Kai, do you want me to go with you?”

“No.”, I replied. “I think it’s better if I do this alone.”

We walked into the outer office and found Mr. Schoonover. Then Mr. Schoonover and I went to my office.

~o~O~o~

Dear readers, I know that I've been saying that you can log in as 'Guest Reader' to leave comments and you can. But, if you want to leave Kudos, once 'Guest Reader' has left a Kudo you can't use it again. The best way is to have your own Log In and its free. But, donations do help keep this site up. And, don't forget:

Authors like comments. And even constructive criticism. Please leave a comment. Want to comment but don't want to open an account? Anyone can log in as Guest Reader -- with a password of topshelf to leave a comment. Thanks.

up
289 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

My office

Kai is definitely getting more comfortable in her skin. She is becoming very confident in her abilities and actions, and accepting that she is special!

Hi CherylB,

Hi CherylB,

Yes, Kai becomes more confident all the time.

So many possibilities...

Donna T's picture

OK... I need to find out about this kid that ratted out our heroine. In keeping with the possibility that the kid is a closeted & repressed cross-dresser/transgender from a deeply religious family .. MAYBE the old adage of "It takes one to know one" may be in play? Or if he has such inclinations maybe he wanted someone to talk to? Whew! So confusing. I'm making excuses for the guy! I'm over noodling things.

A person can be a trouble maker without needing to have a reason.

Donna

Or Soviet Spy?

There were lots of them running around. Perhaps still are.

Soviet Spy

smdani4mm's picture

Except now they would be called a Russian Spy.

SmDani4

True, Donna T, a person can

True, Donna T, a person can be a trouble maker without having a reason. And, could it be it takes one to know one.

Why? WHO benefits if Kai gets fired, outed, etc..

Donna T's picture

I ask WHY did the kid feel the "need" to go to the school newspaper? What's in it for him? And then I ponder about the student housing guy... that was pissed about having to install smoke alarms...because of Kai. THAT guy could have a reason. Grrrr!

Donna

The next thing you know the

The next thing you know the FBI is going to want to borrow Kai when they need to interrogate someone.

Now there's a thought. An

Now there's a thought. An interrogator that feel things about people as they talk with them.

An Education in this Story.

I feel privileged to have read this story. And, it got me off my butt to do my own research. Some of it cleared some issues up for me and part of it created more mysteries, but isn't that the way. I am very certain that I am , at least, half Native American and it is likely Apache or a closely related tribal group, but I doubt Cherokee.

European immigrants attempted a full on genocide of the Native American and that is a straight up fact that is well documented. That I know of, there were at least 4 "Death Marches" where lots of the peoples died or later did not survive the winter in their new homes (Concentration Camps) I am so pissed off right now that I hope that my eyes do not start throwing lightning.

It is frustrating that there seems to be no way to get any help or education from Native Americans, and they often seem bitter and passive agressive about the past, for good reason. There are those who say they are giving information but it has been 'seasoned' with falsehood. That is angering. This genocide may be a large part of the why the information may no longer exist. Certain groups of whites seem to feel entitled to lie about cultural matters.

Please do not feel I am dumping on you. As I said, I am thankful that you started me on the path of real discovery. I would like to start calling myself Haseya if that is not offensive to you.

A few years ago, I did the Mormon Ancestry.com DNA test and it said I am entirely European. I suspicion that is a lie. I know what my family told me when I was growing up, and I trust them, not the Mormons.

Much peace

Gwen

I did one of the DNA things,

I did one of the DNA things, not the Mormon one, and they hit it right on the nose. You might want to try another one the DNA tests and see what it says. And sometimes spoken family history has changed from telling to telling.

Trials and tribulations

We know who writes the Histories. Sometimes you're lucky if things are mentioned at all, much less more than one side told. I was amazed to discover some of the things that occurred in my home state that were never mentioned in school.

Time is the longest distance to your destination.

I know there has been a lot

I know there has been a lot of things about my home town that's come out since the WWW came to be.

Definitely get the impression......

D. Eden's picture

That Mr. Schoonover is either gay or possibly unsure of his gender.

As always, another great addition to the story.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Hmm. Is he? Or is it

Hmm. Is he? Or is it something else.

This story,

I often find myself crying when I read chapters of this superb tale of some of my ancestors, fictional though the people in the story may be. I am 1/4 Dine, and 1/4 Apache. My Mom was half and half, though she did not know what part of the Apache people she belonged to. Sadly her father was a drunk from many years of living on a rez. He was abusive to my Grandmother, who bore him 18 children. My Mom was the 17th child born, just before my Grandmother and my Grandfather divorced, while she was pregnant with my Uncle Danny. Your tale about the heart attack victim made me think of a tale my Dad told me of how he tried his best to save a woman dying of a heart attack, but though he got her heart restarted she coded en-route to the hospital and they were unable to restart her heart. He used to tell me abut drunk drivers (a specialty of his since he was a traffic homicide investigator). He told me a horrendous story once of a drunk hitting a Grandmother and Grandfather who were transporting their tiny Granddaughter home from the airport. The drunk hit them head on. The Grand baby was on the Grand Mothers lap with the seat belt across the tiny child's stomach. (They did not have much in the way of child safety seats then, and not even requirements to wear seat belts in FL). The Grandmother weighed upwards of 300 lbs. When her weight was thrown forwards, against the baby, the seat-belt became like an iron bar against the child's soft body. She died instantly. Dad said he cried worse than the Grandmother or Grandfather. He used to use such stories to teach us not to do foolish things or let others do them while we were in the car with them. It saved my life when I was a teen and friends wanted me to ride with them, they had been drinking, but I was sober. Straight arrow Sarah they called me and drove off laughing. They were in a roll over accident later on and all died when the car caught fire and they could not get out. When I read your story, I felt as if my Grandmother and my Dad were standing behind me and holding me in their arms. I felt the peace and love I used to, with them. You write beautifully, and with knowledge about Native Americans. thank you for being kind about, and with, tales of my ancestors. Sarah

I am a Proud mostly Native American woman. I am bi-polar. I am married, and mother to three boys. I hope we can be friends.

I ... I don't know what to

I ... I don't know what to say, Sarah. Thanks.

Teddie

Curiouser and Curiouser,

Kai must feel she is a Alice novel. So what happens to the housing director?

Wanted: New student housing director

Jamie Lee's picture

From questioning Mr. Schoonover it may be that a new student housing director will be needed to replace the one the University fired.

But by questioning Mr. Schoonover there appears to be something more going on than just what has occurred. And the provibal question is, but what?

Why is it when Kai calls people on something they're not doing, revenge is the end result? Everyone who has acted against Kai because she brought to light their slacking off doing their jobs have fared worse afterwards.

Are these people so shallow that they can only think of revenge for getting caught not doing their jobs? They are, afterall, responsible for the situation they put themselves in.

Others have feelings too.