Tommy - The Trials and Tribulations of a Girl? - Chapter 113

Printer-friendly version



Tommy
The Trials and Tribulations of a Girl?

A Novel By Teddie S.

Copyright © 2018 Teddie S.
All Rights Reserved.

Chapter 113
Orientation. A new dress. The funeral home. No.

Last Wednesday was the day from hell. Grandma Devereux passed away. Amy and I were lucky enough to be with her when she died, and it helped her be at peace with her passing.

Somehow on Thursday, I was able to proofread the two documents that had been typed for me. Now all that had to be done before next Tuesday was to have about seventy copies made of each of them.

Seeing that school starts next week, the dorm students were moving in, as well as the married students into the apartments. Amy and I met the three couples that would be living in the other three apartments in our quad unit. One of those couples, at least the guy, I wish I’d never met. He just picked the wrong time to give us trouble about two girls living in the married student apartments.

Friday morning we were up early, Amy had to be at the university at nine for the orientation of the incoming nursing students. One of those students was one of our new neighbors, Jackie.

We had a light breakfast and then got dressed. I was going to go with Amy and sit in the back of the lecture hall, to give her moral support, for the first part of the orientation. Then I was going to go back to the apartment and pack for the weekend. And Amy would be back for lunch.

Amy wore her skirt suit with a lovely blouse, and the new shoes with nylons. She put her long hair into a ponytail. And she did wear a few pieces of silver jewelry, including the small round silver earrings with gold feathers. I also noticed that she was wearing her Sigma Theta Tau pin.

I wore my usual long skirt, fancy blouse, and wrap moccasins. I did my hair in two braids, but nothing fancy. This skirt and blouse outfit called for a Concho belt. I wore a pair of the beaded earrings. I also added a little silver jewelry.

At eight-thirty we were walking into the lecture hall. Most of the other teaching faculty were already here. We walked up to where the faculty was standing and talking. When Dean Milford saw Amy, she walked over to her, hugged her, and said, “Amy, I was so sorry to hear about your grandmother. And you shouldn’t be here.”

I heard Amy say, “Dean Milford, I didn’t want to sit around the apartment, I needed to do something. So I decided that I’d come to the first part of orientation.”

“I appreciate that, Amy. Thank you.”

Then Vickie walked over to Amy, and said, “Honey, you really shouldn’t be here.”

“Vickie.”, Amy, with a little smile, said. “I needed to be here to protect myself from what you’ll probably say about me.”

“Would I do that?”

“Yes.”

Vickie and Amy hugged.

It wasn’t much later that the incoming nursing class started to fill the lecture hall. I walked over to Amy, and said, “I’m going to sit in the back, and then I’ll see you at home.”

“Okay, love.”, Amy replied.

As I walked towards the back of the room, I saw Jackie walk in, she smiled, and said, “Hi, Kai.”

“Hi Jackie.”, I said.

I found a seat at the back of the room and watched as the seats filled. At just a little after nine, Dean Milford walked to the podium, and said, “Ladies, I’m Dean Milford, Dean of the School of Nursing. And I’d like to welcome you as the University of New Mexico’s class of 1971 nurses.”

Then she went on to give them a welcoming speech, and then she turned the meeting over to Vickie or Assistant Dean Victoria Etsitty. And Vickie gave them a little speech. Luckily it was shorter, much shorter, than the speech that Dean Milford gave. Then she started introducing each member of the faculty and telling a little about each of them. Then she got to the graduate assistants. She started with the other grad assistant, Cheryl McKane, and told about her background. Then she got to Amy.

Vickie looked at Amy, and said, “Amy, would you please stand.”

After Amy had stood, Vickie said, “I’m going to embarrass this young lady a little bit and hopefully motivate all of you.”

I saw Amy shake her head.

Then Vickie continues with, “This young lady is a very modest person when it comes to herself. If you’d talk to her, you’d have to drag this information out of her.

“This young lady is Amy Young. During her Sophomore year at Ohio State, this lady was tapped as a member of the Sigma Theta Tau International, which is the Honor Society of Nursing. This usually doesn’t happen until at least your junior year. And when she graduated, it was at the top of her class, and it was with the honor of Summa Cum Laude.

“She did most of her clinicals in the Emergency Room. And this summer while she was here taking classes so that she could be one of your instructors, she also worked in the Emergency Room of our hospital. It appears that she has a love of the ER. And from what my spies in the ER have told me, she’s a take charge type of person, a non-stop whirlwind, and full of ideas on how to improve things.”

As Vickie was talking, I watched Amy, and I think Amy would have crawled under a rock if there was a rock available. I did see her reach up and touch her meteorite necklace a couple of times.

When they were finished with the initial meeting, they broke the students up into small groups to take them on a tour of the hospital. As Amy and the other grad assistant, Cheryl, were taking their group out of the room, Amy gave me a little wave.

After all the groups had left the lecture hall, only Dean Milford, Vickie, and I were left. I walked down to the front of the lecture hall and up to Vickie, and said, “Amy wasn’t happy with what you said.”

“I know.”, Vickie said. “I wish she wouldn’t be so embarrassed about what she’s accomplished. I see her doing wonderful things. And she needs to realize that she’s special.

“I needed to brag about her in hopes of giving these girls something to shoot for.”

“I know she’s special and she has been special to me for a long time. She’ll get over what you said.”

“I know. Amy came up to me before she left with her group, and with a smile, she said, ‘I’ll get you for that.’”

With a little grin, I said, “You’d better watch out, Vickie.”

“Kai, get out of here. And we’ll see you this evening.”

“Amy and I will appreciate you being there.”

On the way back to the apartment, I stopped by the drug store and picked up copies of the Navajo Times and the local Albuquerque newspaper. When I was back at the apartment, I checked the answering machine and no messages. Then I sat down to skim the newspapers, and when I got to the obituaries in the Navajo Times, I was a little shocked. There was a full column for grandma with her picture at the top, and it made for some interesting reading. And I learned a few things that I didn’t know, like the names of Aunt Ginny’s two sons. And they listed me as Kai Nez and Amy as Ajie Nez.

Then I skimmed the Albuquerque paper and in the obituaries was the same full column for grandma that the Navajo Times had.

I then started gathering the things that we’d need for the weekend. Then it hit me. I didn’t have anything to wear for the funeral. All my long skirts and blouse were, as far as I was concerned, too fancy for a funeral. My white Biil dress wouldn’t be proper to wear to a funeral, and Ajie would want to wear her red one.

Amy was back at the apartment just before Noon, and we had a light lunch. And while we ate, I told her that I didn’t have anything to wear to the funeral. Amy asked, “Is it going to be Tommy of Kai?”

“I’m … I’m not sure.”, I replied.

“Who do you feel it should be?”

“Grandma loved both Tommy and Kai.”

“Who do you think she’d want to be there?”

“Kai.”

“I think that you just answered the question.”

“Okay. But what do I wear? The white Biil dress isn’t good for a funeral, and the long skirts and blouses are too fancy. Everything that I have is too fancy.”

And the tears started.

“Honey, don’t cry.”, Amy said. “We’ll work this out. Your mom and dad won’t be here until about two. That gives us some time to go shopping.”

“Where?”, I asked.

“Kai. Your blond roots are showing. Mrs. Cyl, the weaver, is right here in Albuquerque, and her shop isn’t that far from us. And I think a Biil dress would work.”

“You’re right. If she has one.”

Amy ran upstairs and was quickly back down in a long skirt, blouse, and moccasins. She had me take out her ponytail and braid her hair. Then she went to the safe and took out a few pieces of jewelry. She put on a Concho belt, beaded earrings, two rings, and a bracelet.

I was still dressed as I was this morning. I called the airport and checked on mom and dad’s flight. And it was right on time and would land at one-fifty-five. That would give us a little over an hour to run to Mrs. Cyl’s shop and hopefully find something for me to wear to the funeral.

It wasn’t much later that we were pulling up in front of Mrs. Cyl’s shop. We walked in, and she looked up from the weaving she was doing, and said, “Welcome.”

I said, “Hello, Mrs. Cyl.”

She looked up again. Smiled, and said, “Hello. It’s good to see you again, Miss Nez.”

“It’s good to see you too. And please make it Kai.”

“Is there anything that I can do for you?”

“Yes, unfortunately, we’re going to a funeral, and I need something to wear.”

“I’m sorry. Who passed?”

“Our grandmother, Haseya Devereux.”

“I saw that in the paper. And, she was your grandmother?”

“Yes.”

“She was a wonderful person. I only met her once, but I liked her.”

“Yes, she was. And we’re going to miss her.”

“I know. Now, if I remember correctly, I sold your friend here a red Biil dress, that would be nice for the funeral. And, didn’t I sell you a white Biil dress for that photo shoot?”

“Yes to both. And Ajie is going to wear the red Biil dress to the funeral.”

“That white Biil dress probably wouldn't be appropriate for a funeral.”

“I know. That’s why we’re here. Do you have any Biil dresses?”

“I happen to have two. I’m teaching my daughter to weave, and we each made one. I have a black one with a fancy red design around the bottom that my daughter made. And I made a white one, with both a black and red pattern on it. And I think that either one should fit you nicely. And they’re right over here.”

We followed her to where the dresses were, and they were both beautiful. Ajie and I stood there and looked at them. Finally, Ajie said, “Kai, honey. Try the black one on and let's see how you look in it.”

Mrs. Cyl took the black dress down. And I went and put it on. When I came back out of the changing room, I looked at myself in the full-length mirror, and I liked the look. And so did Ajie and Mrs. Cyl.

Mrs. Cyl said, “Miss Nez you look fantastic in that dress.”

“Thank you.”, I said. “And please make it Kai.”

“Kai.”, Ajie said. “That looks great. I think you should get it.”

I looked at Mrs. Cyl, and said, “You heard the lady. We’ll take this one.”

“My daughter will be surprised when I tell her who bought the dress she made.”, Mrs. Cyl said.

I went back into the changing room and changed out of the black Biil dress. Then I paid for the dress, we said hágoónee' - (see you later) to Mrs. Cyl, and we headed back to the apartment. We quickly packed the new Bill dress in with Ajie’s red Biil dress. Then we headed to the airport.

We arrived at the airport with fifteen minutes to spare. We walked down the concourse to the gate where the plane would be, found a couple of seats, sat, and waited.

It wasn’t much later that we watched as a plane taxied up to the gate and they wheeled out the boarding stairs. Then we watched as the people walked down the stairs. I spotted mom and dad first and pointed them out. Then Ajie said, “My mother and father are with them.”

“Oh.”, I said. “Didn’t I tell you that they were coming?”

“You knew!”

“Surprise.”

“You brat!”

We met our parents as they walked through the door into the concourse. My mother, Ajie, and I hugged for a long time. Then I looked at my mother, and she was crying, and I said, “Mom. It’s all right. She’s with grandpa now.”

“I know, honey.”, my mother said. “But I’m just sad.”

“I am too.”

“You two look wonderful. I sure miss having you around.”

“I know, mom. We miss you guys too.”

Then we hugged my dad, and I said, “Hi daddy.”

“Hi, sweety.”, my dad replied. “I sure wish we were here under better circumstances.”

“Me too. Is mom okay?”

“Yes, honey. It was hard on her when I told her, but she’s tough.”

“Yeah, she’s tough all right. I can tell she’s not okay. I can feel it. I need to be alone with her before you go back home.”

Then we greeted Ajie’s parents with hugs. And Ajie said, “Kai never told me that you were coming.”

“We told her not to.”, Ajie’s dad said. “We wanted to surprise you.”

Then Ajie’s mother said, “We couldn’t let Jean and Chuck go through this without as much support as they could get. Besides we feel like we’re part of this family too.”

“Kai.”, my mother said. “Could we stop by your place to freshen up before we go to Santa Fe?”

“Sure, mom.”, I said.

We went to the baggage check and helped our parents pick up their luggage. Then they picked up their rental car. And they followed us to the apartment. I pulled our car into the garage, and we all went into the apartment through the garage.

When our mothers saw what we’d done to the apartment they were amazed. And they asked all kinds of questions.

After everyone had freshened up, we decided to drive to Santa Fe, have an early dinner, and then go to the funeral home. Ajie and I put the things that we needed for the weekend in our car, and we led our parents to Santa Fe. We’d heard of a restaurant in Santa Fe called the Pink Adobe, it’s supposed to be the oldest restaurant in Santa Fe, and the food is supposed to be incredible.

It didn’t take long for us to find the Pink Adobe. We asked for a table in a quiet area of the restaurant. And as we ate some excellent Mexican food, we talked. Amy and I filled our parents in on everything that was going on with us. Their biggest surprise was that Kai was going to be teaching Electrical Engineering courses. And I had to explain how that came happened. And my mother commented about Tom’s problem of speaking to a group, and we told her that Kai didn’t have that problem.

Just about five o’clock we were pulling into the funeral home. I was not looking forward to this at all! I saw our parents get out of their car, but I just sat there looking at the building, and so did Ajie. Our parents stood there and looked at us. Finally, Ajie and I looked at each other, and I said, “I guess we’d better do this.”

Ajie just said, “Yeah.”

We got out of the car and walked over to our parents. Then the six of us walked into the funeral home. Both sets of my aunts and uncles were there, as was Naainish, Chief Kinlicheeny, and a few others who I didn’t recognize.

I took Ajie’s hand, and we walked over to the casket. Grandma looked like she was sleeping. And she looked good in the Biil dress and jewelry. We just stood there for a minute, then I sensed someone walk up behind us, I looked, and it was Naainish. He stood directly behind us and put one hand on my shoulder and one hand on Ajie’s shoulder. Then he quietly said, “She was a wonderful person. And she will be missed. I know you two were close to her and I know that it’s hard not to grieve, but I know that you two can do that. It’s important to her.”

“I understand, Naainish.”, I said. “But my heart is breaking. And I know that Ajie’s heart is also breaking. And it’s hard not to grieve for someone that you’ve loved so much. But, I … we will try to follow tradition for her sake.”

Naainish gently squeezed our shoulders and walked away. Then our parents walked up. My mother took my hand, and we stood there quietly looking at grandma. Finally, I had to walk away, and Ajie came with me.

We stood off to the side and watched people come in. It amazed me how many people came. Then we saw the Etsitty's, Chief Tom and Vickie, the Oshie’s, Dr. Joe and Mary, and Dean Milford, the Dean of the School of Nursing, walk in together. It surprised me. Ajie took my hand and pulled me towards them.

As we walked up to them, they saw us, and the hugs started. We walked with them up to the casket and introduced everyone to my parents, Ajie’s parents, and my aunts and uncles. We talked together for a short time. Then we stood with our friends at the casket for a minute or so, then as we walked away, Mary Oshie said, “Kai, now I know where you get your looks from.”

I just gave her a questing look.

“You mother is beautiful, and your grandmother is also very pretty.”

I just said, “Thank you.”

We stood and talked for a minute, and then I saw Chief Kinlicheeny and Naainish walking our way with some other Navajo men and a couple of women. I introduced everyone that I knew, and Chief Kinlicheeny introduced the men and women that were with him. Of course, I’ll never remember all the names, but I will remember that they were the officers of the Navajo Nation Council.

We talked for a few minutes then Chief Kinlicheeny said, “Kai, do you think that your friends, except for Chief Etsitty, could excuse us for a few minutes?”

“I guess.”, I said. “But why?”

“We would like to talk to you.”

Our friends except for Chief Etsitty excused themselves. Chief Kinlicheeny looked at Ajie like he expects her to leave, so I said, “Ajie stays.”

“Fair enough.”, Chief Kinlicheeny

“What’s this about?”

“Kai, as you know your grandmother was a member of the Tribal Council.”

“Yes.” Where is this going? And why here?

“We need to fill her position for the remaining part of her term. And we’d like to ask you too do that.”

“Chief, I’ve only been a member of the Nation for a short time and have only lived out here for a shorter time. I don’t know the Navajo people well enough, nor do I know the Nation that well. I wouldn’t feel comfortable accepting such a position. Besides, I am going to be busy at the University. So, I have to say no.”

I saw Naainish smile. I think he knew that I would say no.

“Kai.”, Chief Kinlicheeny said. “I understand. We do feel that you could be a very valuable member of the Council.”

“Chief.”, I said. “After Ajie and I complete our graduate studies I might reconsider if we decide to stay out here.”

“Thank you, Kai. I appreciate your frankness.”

“Can I make a suggestion?”

“Of course.”

“My Aunt Shimasani (Ginny) Haskie.”

“She works for the Council.”

“So?”

“I … I don’t know. We’ll have to discuss it then bring it up to the clan.”

“Don’t forget. That I’m also a member of that clan.”

Then as Ajie and I started to walk away, I said, “I do appreciate you asking me, Chief. But, I don’t think it was appropriate to do it here.”

I looked at Naainish again, and this time he was grinning. Something I’ve never seen him do before.

We walked over to where our parents were with my two aunts and uncles. As we walked up, my Aunt Ruth asked, “Kai, what was all that about?”

“They asked me to fill grandma’s position on the Council.”, I replied.

“What!?”

“I said, no.”

“Why did you say no?”

“In reality, I don’t feel qualified.”

“They must have thought you were.”

“Also, I’m going to be too busy at school.”

“That’s true. So what did you tell them to do?”

“I suggested someone.”

“Who?”

“Aunt Ginny.”

“Me!?”, Aunt Ginny said. “I work for the Council.”

“Yes, you. And as far as you working for the council and being a member of the Tribal Council, I’ll tell you the same thing I told them. So what.”

“Kai!”

“Sorry. But I think that you’re qualified. And they said that they’d talk about it.”

I saw Chief Tom walk back over to our friends, and I said, “Excuse us for a minute, I think our friends are getting ready to leave.”

Ajie and I walked over to our friends, and Chief Tom said, “Kai, I knew that they were going to ask you, but I told them that I thought you’d turn it down. And I was right.”

“You know me.”, I said. “Don’t you, Chief Tom.”

“I have an idea as to how busy you’re going to be. Can I tell everyone what that was about?”

“Yes."

"They asked Kai to fill her grandmother's place on the Tribal Council. And she told them, no.”

I saw a shocked look on Dean Milford’s face, as she said, “Kai, you said no to that?”

“Dean, when I do something I want to do the best job that I can. And with going to school, teaching, and working on the research project, I feel that I couldn’t give that job the time that it deserves.”

“Kai, I was told that you had a good work ethic. And you do.”

We said so long to our five friends. And then went back and stood with our parents and my aunts and uncles. I’ll never get over the number of people that I met that night. It was well after eight before we could leave the funeral home. And we all followed my Aunt Ruth and Uncle Paul to the resort.

Before we could get into the car, Naainish walked up to Ajie and me, and said, “Kai Nez, you impress me. It takes someone special to stand up to a Chief the way you do.

“And I knew that you’d turn it down. And you did.”

“Naainish Yazzie.”, I said. “You also impress me. You understand me better than I understand myself.”

Naainish just smiled. Then walked away.

When we were back at my aunt and uncle’s house at the resort, my Aunt Ruth and Ajie got drinks for everyone, and we sat around and talked for a little while. My mom and dad, as well as my Aunt Ginny and Uncle Gaagii, were staying at the house. Ajie and I, and Ajie’s parents were staying at the hotel.

Around eleven Ajie and I, headed to the hotel. When we walked into the lobby carrying our luggage, Shilah was on duty. The first thing that Shila said was, “Miss Kai. Miss Ajie. The whole staff was so sorry to hear about your grandmother. Everyone here really loved her.”

I smiled at Shila, and said, “Thank you Shila. We will all miss her.”

As he handed us our keys, he said, “I have two rooms for you and Miss Ajie’s parents, and everything has been taken care of.”

“Thank you, Shila. Ajie’s parents are at the Biakeddy house and should be here shortly.”

As we walked into our room and I closed the door, I said, “Tomorrow can’t be over soon enough.”

Ajie wrapped her arms around me, and we hugged for a long time. Then she whispered, “Honey, remember all the fun times we’ve had with grandma, and it will help.”

We undressed, crawled into bed, and went to sleep. Well, Ajie went to sleep. I couldn’t. I lay there remembering all the things that we’d done with grandma.

At about midnight, I gave up. I got out of bed, slipped on some clothes, woke Ajie up, and said, “Honey, I can’t sleep. I’m going for a walk.”

Ajie mumble, “Okay, honey. Be careful.”

I put the room key in my pocket, walked out of the room, and to the lobby. Shila saw me, and asked, “Miss Kai, is something wrong?”

“I just can’t sleep, Shila.”, I answered. “And I thought that I’d go for a walk.”

“You know your way around the resort. Just be careful, Miss Kai.”

“I will Shila.”

I walked out of the lobby and started walking around the grounds.

~o~O~o~

Dear readers, Remember authors like comments. And even constructive criticism. Please leave a comment. Want to comment but don't want to open an account? Anyone can log in as Guest Reader -- with a password of topshelf to leave a comment. Thanks.

up
286 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Jerk around the corner?

no cliffhanger? Even when you don't leave one I feel like there is one there, lurking. Is this a result of some kind of training or what? Maybe I'm just paranoid.

You're paranoid. ;-) Didn't

You're paranoid. ;-) Didn't think that was a good place for a cliffhanger.

you're right, Teddie,

Monique S's picture

That would have been a terrible place for a cliff hanger!
Losing grandma is bad enough as is.

The jerk can safely be taken care of later. He might cause some serious problems for Kai and Amy, though, if he complains to the housing people about the two "lesbians" in a married couple space. Tom would have to come out then and that might well turn into a problem

Well, s/he will cross that bridge if s/he ever comes to that.

Hugs,
Monique.

Monique S

Tom/Kai seems to be very good

Tom/Kai seems to be very good at crossing bridges when it's necessary. And jerks stand no chance with the team of Kai and Ajie.

Too much demand for Kai?

My5InchFMHeels's picture

There seems to be a lot of demand for Kai, people forget that she has things going on it seems. Maybe the refusal will open peoples eyes.

Kai is very busy at the

Kai is very busy at the university. And asking her to take on something else wasn't fair.

Appears to be a good time to

Appears to be a good time to meet Kai's spirit guide in the flesh.

If it the jerk, why would he

If it is the jerk, why would he be at the resort?
I also believe that if he did raise an issue or issues at the University, he would find himself in deep doo doo; as the main staff and a few administrators already know what is going on regarding Kai and Ajie.
It could cost him his student housing and possibly even his student position there because he is showing his very rabid hate and intolerance regarding both women and Native Americans.
Just because there are two women or even two men living together does not make them lesbian or gay.
Besides, what gives him the right to question who lives in married student housing anyway? The University sets the rules don't they? At least back in the time frame this story is set in.

Ah, Janice Lynn. The jerk

Ah, Janice Lynn. The jerk isn't at the resort, he and his wife, live in one of the four apartments in the quad where Kai and Amy live at the university.

The powers to be at the university may not want it known that they know that Kai is a two spirit person.

The jerks upbringing may be the driving force behind his reaction to the two girls.

Cliffhanger

No not really, but it leaves lots of room for thought. Such as they pitched the council position during her grandmothers funeral; are they scared of her influence with the people, or is it the respect and her ability to sway people that has their attention. She did take down a chief so far (evil grin). There the scholarship and her spiritualism that she has continued to display to her people.

Just thinking she carries a bigger stick than she knows. I'm guessing not everyone can just walk up to a chief and say hi, not to mention be known to them.

Doesn't have to be.

My5InchFMHeels's picture

Doesn't have to be a cliffhanger. Its possible that Kai will find a spiritual place that gives her answers to questions, such as the jerk from the apts, or what to expect from students that she'll be teaching, etc. Shila is a officer, so it's likely a stanard warning, not a precursor to an unfortunate incident.

Pre-goodbyes

Jamie Lee's picture

Viewing can be just as hard as the person actually dieing. Just seeing the person after death can bring back memories, like Kai had, and remind the person that this is the last time the deceased will be seen.

The viewing was NOT the time to ask Kai to sit the rest of grandma's time on the council. It may have been felt because she was morning grandma's death she'd be susceptible to accepting the position. Boy, what a shock she gave them by saying no.

What's playing on Kai's mind that makes it impossible for her to sleep? Grandma's death? School? Adam's attitude? Or that the school gave her a student ID for Kai? She's walked around the resort before, but that late at night? Could something, or someone, be lying in wait to try and harm her? Or maybe the spirits are waiting to help her make a decision that's really the cause for not sleeping?

Others have feelings too.

I have to wonder

will Adam be in Kai's class? And I don't think we have heard the end of that woman that wanted to buy the silver, might she be thinking of taking it?