Tommy - The Trials and Tribulations of a Girl? - Chapter 75

Printer-friendly version



Tommy
The Trials and Tribulations of a Girl?

A Novel By Teddie S.

Copyright © 2018 Teddie S.
All Rights Reserved.

Chapter 75
It’s a go. The tree. Please Maria.

Maria appeared to be a little depressed over our pending move to New Mexico. And Amy being Amy was worried about her.

Dr. Whitmeyer had come back into our lives again. Dr. Grunewald had sent me a copy of Dr. Whitmeyer paper titled, ‘The Nádleeh. The two spirit people of the Navajo.’ He has promised to write this as part of his apology for what he had tried to do to Dr. Grunewald and Larry at the seminar. Everyone that has read it was happy with what Dr. Whitmeyer had written.

Then Kelly, Larry, Amy, and I had talked about how to get Maria and Mark out to the resort with us for one of the Friday barbecues.

Our package from the University of New Mexico had arrived. And Amy had told my mother, that “It’s kind of scary.”

“Scary?”, my mother asked Amy.

“Yeah. It’s a big step, moving halfway across the country to a strange area and a new university.”

“But it’s not a strange area to you. You’ve spent a lot of time in the area. So it’s friendly territory, plus you have friends and relatives out there. And there’s Tom. You’ll have each other.”

“That the biggest thing. We’ll be together. But it’s still a big step.”

“Yes, it is. One of many that make up life.”

“Mom, are we eating dinner here or in the dining room?”

“Probably out here.”, My mother replied. “Why?”

“I wanted to get started on this paperwork.”

“You can use the dining room table.”

“Thanks, mom.” Then as she grabbed the envelope, she said, “Come on lover, let's get this done.”

I followed her to the dining room.

We sat down next to each other, and she opened the envelope. She pulled everything out, and we looked at it. On top was a letter from Mrs. Etsitty. It said, welcome to the University of New Mexico and that they were pleased that she’d chosen them. Etcetera. Etcetera.
Etcetera.

Then we looked at the forms. First, there was the application for Amy’s scholarship, and most of that was filled in. There were also two applications to graduate school and a form for married student housing. A catalog of graduate level courses. And a list of classes offered for summer with two of those courses highlighted in yellow. There was also a folder that had a bunch of general stuff on the university, such as a campus map. And finally, a Special Delivery return envelope that already had stamps on it, and it was pre-addressed to Mrs. Etsitty at the College of Nursing.

After looking everything over, Amy said, “This shouldn’t take long. But you realize that this whole thing all hinges on my taking and passing the national registration test for registered nurses?”

“Why?”

“If I don’t pass the test, I can’t work as a nurse.”

“Knowing you. You’ll ace it.”

“I don’t know about that. But there are study guides that I’m going to get. And since I only have three classes spring quarter, I’m going to be doing a lot of studying in those books.”

“I’ll help you in any way that I can.”

“I know you will, sweetheart,”

As I filled out my application to graduate school and the housing application, Amy filled out her application to graduate school and finished filling out the application for the scholarship.

When I finished the housing application, I asked Amy, “I think I know the answer to this, But what did you put down for the option for your masters?”

She smiled, and said, “Clinical Nursing with an emphasis on the native people.”

I smiled back, and said, “I knew that.”

Then I sat back, and said, “Now to figure out the fees.”

“Mine is marked, scholarship. And the application fee was already filled in with a zero.”

“Oh. Then I guess it’s only my fees and the housing fees.”

“Didn’t I see the housing form also marked, scholarship?”

Looking at the housing application, I saw that it was also marked, scholarship. And the fee area was marked with a zero. So I said, “I guess it’s only my fees.”

So I made out a check to the University of New Mexico to cover my registration fees.

Earlier this week Amy had stopped at our school’s register's office and picked up the official transcripts of our grades. They wouldn’t have our winter or spring quarter grades on them yet. I attached my transcript to my application.

Then I watched as Amy, attached, along with her transcript, another four additional pages to her application. And, I asked, “What are those?”

“Some letters of recommendation.”

“From who?”

“Oh. The dean, the doctor supervising the E.R., my advisor, and Patty.”

“Can I read them?”

As she handed me her registration packet, she said, “I guess.”

First I looked at her transcript and noticed that every time that she’d been on the President’s Honor List that it was a permanent note on her transcript. Then I read the four letters of recommendation.

When I finished reading them, I looked at Amy, and said, “Really!”

“I guess.”, Amy said quietly.

“You must have impressed a few people.”

“Yeah.”

I handed everything back to Amy, she double checked everything, put it in the envelope, sealed it, and said, “Well, we need to go to the post office tomorrow.”

That night we were in bed early, and quickly asleep. And I had a weird dream.

Saturday morning when I awoke, the sunlight was coming through the window. I rolled over, and Amy wasn’t there. I jumped out of bed threw on my robe, and went looking for her.

I found her sitting with my mother in the kitchen, she looked at me and said, “Hi sleepyhead.”

“Uh. Hi. Are you okay?”, I asked.

“Why wouldn’t I be?”

“The way you were talking last night.”

“About what?”

“About not being sure about going to New Mexico.”

“Honey, you must have been dreaming. We did talk about me being a little nervous about this move. But, I have you, and that makes everything good.”

“The way you were talking, I guess in my dream, you were frightened about this move. And you said something about wanting to run away from home after your family moved to Minnesota.”

“Honey, I never tried to run away from home. And I am nervous about this move, but who wouldn’t be.”

“That dream was so vivid.”

“That’s okay. My dreams are always vivid.”

“Why don’t you get us some breakfast. Then we need to go to the post office.”

An hour later we were at the post office. As she handed the envelope to the clerk, Amy asked for proof of delivery. The clerk had Amy fill out a postcard form, once she finished, the clerk attached the postcard to the envelope and collected an additional fee. And we headed back home.

On the way home, Amy said, “Your mom said that she has a six place dish set and glasses that we can have. And some pots and pans.”

“That’s good.”, I said. “Remember we have to get all of this in the ‘61 Chevy with all of our clothes and other things. And I don’t want to overload the car.”

“Yeah. Maybe we’ll plan on buying most things out there. What are you going to do with the ‘57 Chevy.”

“I think we’ll leave it here until we see what we’re going to do in New Mexico.”

“Going to do?”

“After you finish your masters. Are we going to stay out there or come back here or what.”

“We have about two years to figure that out.”

“That’s what I figured.”

Then I said, “Should I dye my hair black now or after we get to New Mexico?”

“That’s your call, lover.”, Amy replied. “I can do it for you or Helen can.”

We were close to our drug store, so I pulled in, parked, and said, “Go get what you need.”

With a smile, Amy asked, “Permanent or temporary?”

“Permanent.”

“We’re going to have to watch your roots. Black hair with blond roots would look funny.”

“How often will we have to re-dye it?”

“Probably every four to six weeks. And you’ll have to remember to use a good conditioner on it.”

“I always do.”

Twenty minutes later we were back home. And as we walked into the house, Amy said, “I’m going to call Patty.”

“About what?”, I asked.

“Dr. Whitmeyer. I want to see if she found out when he’ll be at a meeting.”

“I almost forgot about him.”

Amy went into the den to call Patty, and I tagged along.

Amy dialed Patty’s number and waited. Then she said, “Hi Patty. It’s Amy." … “We’re doing great.” … “Yes, we’re still going to New Mexico. In fact, we just mailed the forms to the university.” … “I know. We’ll miss all of you guys too. Our apartment has two bedrooms, so you’ll have a free place to stay if you want to come back out.” … “It would be no problem.” … “What did you find out about Dr. Whitmeyer.” … “Oh, I see. This Friday. Hold on, let me ask Tom.”

“Honey.”, Amy said. “Patty says that Dr. Whitmeyer is going to be taking a leave of absence from his university this spring quarter and all summer. So he will be gone. And he’s planning on being at the meeting this coming Friday.”

“I guess we’ll be going to the meeting on Friday.”

Speaking into the phone, Amy said, “Patty, did you hear him?” … “So we’ll see you Friday.” … “Let me ask.”

Looking at me, Amy asked, “Is it going to be Tom or Tammy?”

“Neither. It’s going to be Kai.”

“Kai!?”

“I thought that Dr. Whitmeyer might like to meet her.”

“Patty, you heard that. Didn't you?” … “It surprises me a little bit too.” … “See you Friday.” … “Love you too. Bye.”

Amy hung up the phone, looked at me, and said, “Kai. I thought that she didn’t like to be around here?”

“She’ll be fine with it.”, I replied. “Besides she’s going to be around quite a bit for the next two years.”

Amy smiled, shook her head, and said, “I love you.”

“Why?”

“Because you’re you and so unpredictable at times.”

“Who me?”

“Yes, you. So are you going with a blond or black haired Kai?”

“What do you think?”

“Black.”

That evening we met up with the crew for an evening of bowling and a stop at our favorite ice cream shop. After getting beaten by Kelly again, we headed to the ice cream place. And as we were enjoying the ice cream, Larry said, “Tom, that fruit salad with cinnamon crisps that your mom made was sure better than this.”

“It’s not hard to make.”, Amy said.

“You’re going to have to teach us before you go to New Mexico.”, Maria said.

“It’s supposed to rain tomorrow afternoon. If you’re not doing anything you can come over and we’ll show you how.”

“We’ll be there.”, Mark quickly said.

“Count us in too.”, Kelly added. “What can we bring?”

“Well.”, Amy said. “We have everything for the cinnamon crisps. So if you’d like to pick up the fruit that would be great. The farmers market would probably be the best place.”

I noticed, and I don’t know if Amy did, but when we talked about New Mexico, Maria appeared to be more at ease with it. I wonder if Kelly had talked with her?

That night in bed, I said, “I noticed that Maria was more at ease talking about New Mexico.”

“I know.”, Amy said. “When Kelly and I went to the restroom at the bowling alley, she told me that she had a long talk with Maria about us going and helped Maria see that it was something good for us and that they should be happy for us. And she had also planted a seed about coming out with them.”

“Good.”, I said. “I was worried about Maria.”

“Me too. Now, all we have to do is help that seed mature.”

“And knowing you, it will mature quickly.”

Sunday morning the weather was beautiful, and something called me to the backyard. As I walked out the door from the den into the backyard, I looked to the west, and you could see the rain clouds in the distance. The sun was shining here.

Then I walked directly to where Amy and I had planted the twig from the tree on the cliff. I looked at it, and it looked healthy.

I heard someone else walk out the back door, I looked, and it was Amy. She walked up to me, and said, “I wondered where you’d gotten to.”

“Something called me to come out here.”

We both just stood there for a minute looking at the little tree. Then I said, “I think we should take this back to New Mexico with us.”

“And plant it where the original tree was.”, Amy added.

“You felt that too?”

“Yes.”

I took Amy’s hand in mine, and we walked back to the house. As we walked up to the house, my mom was watching us through the window, and as we walked in, she asked, “Kids, is everything okay?”

“Everything’s fine, mom.”, I said. “We were looking at the little tree.”

“We think we should take it with us to New Mexico.”, Amy added.

Mom smiled and said, “Back to its native land?”

“I guess you could say that.”

The crew showed up after lunch as did the rain. Amy, mom, and I showed them how to make the cinnamon crisps, and the fruit salad. Dad he just hovered waiting for us to put it on the table. All I can say is the this was a great batch of fruit salad.

Since it was still raining the crew went out on the porch to talk, and mom and dad went into the den. We chatted about the upcoming quarter and how it was our last as undergraduates. Amy, Larry, Maria, Mark, and I would be graduating. Kelly graduated last year. I knew that Amy, Larry, and I would go on to graduate school. Maria and Mark weren’t sure about graduate school and said that they might work for a while first.

At one point Kelly said, “Maria. Mark. What would it take to get you out to New Mexico so that we could share the fun that Amy and Tom tell us the barbecue is?”

“I don’t know.”, Maria said. “We don’t have the money now. Maybe next year.”

I sat there and looked at Maria. And I think she knew what I was thinking, because she finally said, “Tom, don’t go there. We won’t accept it.”

“But Maria, … ”, I started to say.

“Tom, no. Please don’t go there.”

I sighed, and said, “Okay. I give up.”

Amy gave me a strange look.

We hung out for another hour or so, and then the crew headed home. After they’d left, Amy looked at me and said, “Are you sick?”

“No.”, I replied. “Why?”

“I’ve never heard you give up so easily on something.”

“What have I given up on?”

“Maria and Mark come out to New Mexico.”

“Who’s given up?”

“You said you did.”

“I had my fingers crossed.”

Amy smiled, and said, “I should have known that you wouldn’t give up that easily.”

“I don’t know what to do yet. But I’ll think of something.”

One of the first crazy ideas that I came up with was to tell Mark and Maria that we wanted to take both cars to New Mexico. And ask them if they'd drive one, the ‘61 Chevy, out for us, and we’d pay for everything including their flight home.

At first Amy liked the idea, but eventually, we both agreed that it wasn’t a good idea. Besides I wanted to leave the ‘57 Chevy here. For now.

Sunday evening, when my mother talked to my Aunt Ruth, I also spoke to Aunt Ruth for a little while and told her about us coming out so that Amy could do her master's work. Aunt Ruth was excited.

I explained to Aunt Ruth that we’d like to spend a couple of days with them until we furnished the apartment in Albuquerque. She said that she would love that.

Then she told me that they had just replaced all the furniture in a couple of the units at the resort. Something that they did on a regular basis, and that they would shortly be auctioning off the old furniture, but hadn’t yet. And that they would be happy to save somethings for us. I told her that we couldn’t accept it, then she told me that they would have to sell it to us, but for pennies on the dollar. I described the apartment to my aunt, and she said that she’d set aside two beds, two dressers, two chest of drawers, a couch, and two overstuffed chairs for us. We would have to buy the mattresses and inner springs.

I then said, “Aunt Ruth, that’s too much. We can’t accept all of that.”

“Honey.”, my aunt said. “It’s just furniture. And it’s going to someone who can use it. And this furniture will be from the Cliffside Suites where you stayed that one time.”

“How would we get it to the apartment from the resort?”

“Your uncle would be happy to help, even though he doesn’t know it yet. We have a big truck that will easily handle all of that.”

I heard Uncle Paul in the background say, “What don’t I know?”

Then I said, “Aunt Ruth, you’ve just solved a number of our problems. Thank you very much.”

“Tommy, you and Amy are like our own children. We’ll help you in any way that we can.”

“Aunt Ruth, you are going to make me cry. I’ll let you know when we have everything set. But we should be out there on June 25. Try and keep it as quiet as you can, there are people that we want to surprise. Here’s mom. And thank you so much.”

I handed the phone to my mother. Then I looked at Amy, and she said, “Did I hear you right?”

“I don’t know. What did you hear?”

“That they’re giving us furniture for the apartment?”

“Yes. We’ll have to pay a little, but as Aunt Ruth put it, it will be pennies on the dollar.”

Amy just shook her head.

The rest of this week, the week between winter and spring quarters, was rainy. The only dry day was Friday. And Friday was the day of the support group meeting. So on Friday morning, Amy dyed my hair black.

When I looked in the mirror, I smiled. I liked seeing Kai again. Amy was watching, and said, “You look so good with black hair. You should have been born with it.”

“Would you have still found me attractive if I had?”, I asked.

“Honey, I would have loved you even if you were bald.”

I grabbed her, and said, “Mrs. Young, I love you.” Then I kissed her.

My mom saw me later, and said, “Going Southwestern on us already.”

“Kind of.”, I replied. “We’re going to the support group meeting tonight. And Dr. Whitmeyer is supposed to be there. And I thought that he’d like to meet Kai. Besides, I miss her.”

“Just be careful.”

“We will, mom.”

~o~O~o~

Dear readers, Remember authors like comments. And even constructive criticism. Please leave a comment. Want to comment but don't want to open an account? Anyone can log in as Guest Reader -- with a password of topshelf to leave a comment. Thanks.

up
308 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Spelling

kalkin55's picture

I do want to say I really like the story, but I
think you meant "etcetera, etcetera, etcetera ". I believe excreta would mean "crap, crap, crap"!! Please keep up the good work, and thanks.

Bad proofreader. Bad

Bad proofreader. Bad proofreader. Bad proofreader.

Fixed

Thanks

Tommy

I wondered if thr excreta was just a comment on paperwork, if so I would probably second it.

Time is the longest distance to your destination.

Bad proofreader. Bad

Bad proofreader. Bad proofreader. Bad proofreader.

Fixed

Thanks

I never heard of National Boards to be a nurse

NoraAdrienne's picture

My wife graduated from Beth Israel School of Nursing here in NYC back in '72. She took the state boards and passed them, making her eligible for her licence. To work in other states as part of her job as a mid-level manager for a national Women's Health and Home Care service she has to file for individual licences in each state they have nurses operating. I don't think that's changed.

So I'm guessing that our author is taking license with her story line.

Nope. I'm not taking license

Nope. I'm not taking license with my story. I researched this.

"The NCLEX-RN® Exam. The National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-RN® exam) has one purpose: To determine if it's safe for you to begin practice as an entry-level nurse."

Here's the link to the current web page (since they didn't have the internet in '67):https://www.kaptest.com/nclex/what-is-the-nclex-rn

Teddie

Interesting

NoraAdrienne's picture

Most states have their own boards that you take after finishing up nursing school. Then there are also the Compact States where if you hold a valid license in the state you live in you can practice in any member state.

Well if you do a Google

Well if you do a Google search on "registered nurse testing" You will find the NCLEX-RN information.

Here in Ohio:

To obtain licensure in Ohio, Registered Nurses are required to take a nursing exam known as the National Council for Licensure Exam-RN (NCLEX-RN) which ensures the candidate is prepared for entry level nursing practice.

Need for a Registered Nurse License: A Registered Nurse is required to be licensed to practice nursing in the state of Ohio.

Nuff said

Teddie

Now I’m curious

gillian1968's picture

My mother was a nurse before the NCLEX started in 1994, but I’m sure she had to pass some sort of exam. She graduated from Baylor in Dallas in 1945 and worked at a military hospital in Texas for a few months before moving back home to Oklahoma. She worked as a nurse there for many years and later moved to Kansas and worked as a nurse.

I don’t remember any specifics of what she had to do to work in Kansas but it wasn’t a big problem. I’ll have to take another look at her license when I visit my brother next.

Anyway, I love the story!!!

Gillian Cairns

I never heard of National Boards to be a nurse

NoraAdrienne's picture

My wife graduated from Beth Israel School of Nursing here in NYC back in '72. She took the state boards and passed them, making her eligible for her licence. To work in other states as part of her job as a mid-level manager for a national Women's Health and Home Care service she has to file for individual licences in each state they have nurses operating. I don't think that's changed.

So I'm guessing that our author is taking license with her story line.

federal RN license

mountaindrake's picture

My cousin got her federal RN license in 76 it allows the practice of nursing in all states. Have a good day and enjoy life.

Have a good day and enjoy life.

I think that is what the

I think that is what the NCLEX-RN is. A national registry and license.

Federal RN license

RN licensing is controlled by the states. If your license is issued by a compact state, it will be recognized by another compact state unless you move there permanently, in which case you must obtain a license from the new state of residence. California, unlike New Mexico, is not a compact state. To be employed as an RN in California, one must obtain a license from the California Board of Registered Nursing. If one is already licensed in another state or Canada, one can apply for licensure by endorsement (reciprocity), as long as the educational requirements are met. California does use the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-RN®). Note that the NCLEX-RN® is an examination, not a license. The state in question must still issue a license, and may have education requirements which differ from other states, even if they use the same examination.

Federal RN license

mountaindrake's picture

A Federal RN license is good in all states and needed by all military nurses and it exceeds all state requirements. Have a good day and enjoy life.

Have a good day and enjoy life.

Federal RN license

I'm sorry, but you are wrong. If you are working solely in a federal facility, such as a military or naval hospital, you do not need state licensing. I don't know about the requirements for a US Public Health Service hospital or clinic. Otherwise, if you work in a non-federal environment, you need a license from the state. There is no such thing as a federal license which authorizes one to work as an RN in general practice. Any Internet search (Google, Yahoo, etc.) would show you this.

By the way, the same is true for physicians. They are licensed by each state, the license is good only in that state, some states have reciprocity, and some (such as California), don't. Again, if you are a physician in the military, and are working in a military clinic or hospital, the federal rules apply. State licensing also is true for attorneys, certified public accountants, hairdressers and barbers, licensed vocational (or practical) nurses, etc. Likewise, each state sets its own standards for law enforcement training, which don't apply to federal officers.

agreed

You are correct, it can be confusing if you are not familiar with the system. probably should be a national license, but that's the way it is.
Source: Have worked in health care for 20 years, my SO has worked as an RN for over 30.

I'll really like

Monique S's picture

to see Kai and Aije back!

Hugs.
Monique.

Monique S

They like being back. And

They like being back. And love being back in New Mexico.

My wife became an LPN (LVN in

My wife became an LPN (LVN in some States) in 1967. She had to take the WA State Nurses Boards, and the National Boards. So I have seen it being a mandatory item. It helped her a lot gaining positions when we transferred many times due to my Military and Federal positions; even when we were stationed in 'compact' States, where they recognized her Nursing License from WA state.

NCLEX-RN

The NECLEX-RN is a standardized test used by all states and territories of the US to assess basic Nursing readiness for safe practice. Each State Board of Nursing sets its own passing score and issues a license to practice in that state. There is no Federal license. VA and DOD accept most State licensure. Nursing license compact states allow limited practice across all compact states. I have held CA and AK and WA and ID licenses at varying times. DOD accepted my WA license. Before NECLEX each state had its own test. To be a RN then often meant sitting multiple tests. BAK BSN RN

I will admit that the timing

I will admit that the timing of using the NCLEX-RN was off. It didn't come into existence until the late '70s But I needed a way for Amy to take a test in Ohio that would be accepted in New Mexico, so the NCLEX-RN was the logical choice. So, I guess I'll write this off to my poetic license.

Not picky

People this is a story not true life. So what if certain exams don't fit the exact timeline, it's trying to the up loose ends.
Keep going Terri.
Rickster

Not picky

People this is a story not true life. So what if certain exams don't fit the exact timeline, it's trying to the up loose ends.
Keep going Terri.
Rickster

Need a solution

Jamie Lee's picture

Somehow, Tom is going to come up with a plan that gets Mark and Maria to New Mexico. But whatever he does it has to be legit or they won't accept it. Maybe they could win a drawing or be picked to critique the resort. Or win a sweepstake. Or just let Tom give them a nice few days at the resort.

Aunt Ruth is a hoot, volunteering her husband without telling him what he volunteered for. She is, however, solving the problem of furnishing the apartment.

Others have feelings too.

Registered Nurse Licensing Examinations.

Robyn B's picture

I am so glad that I live in Australia. I am a Registered Nurse. Reading through all the above comments gave me a headache regarding registration requirements.

In the time frame of this story, Nursing training was hospital based full-time work. Many classes were held during off duty hours. Students were required to live on-site in the Nurses Home. Each student had to sit three exams: a medical oriented written exam, a surgical oriented written exam and a clinical practice exam at the end of their training period. Success in these three exams gave you a license to practice in your state of learning.

I did my training in the late 70's. I undertook a 1600 hour curriculum of classes that were spread out over three years. This meant a day of study each week for the most part with full-time blocks of study of four weeks duration each seven to nine months. My study and clinical program was set out before I even started. I had to sit written exams at the end of my first year to be able to continue my training. After sitting the State exams towards the end of third year, I still had eight weeks to practice as a third year nurse before I received my registration certificate. If I wanted to move into another state, my qualifications were recognised by that state but it still was quite a rigmarole to go through to achieve it.

Currently in Australia, Nursing training is a baccalaureate degree over three years ending with a Bachelor of Applied Science (Nursing). The graduate applies for registration or enrolment with AHPRA (Australian Health Practitioners Registration Authority) and this is a national registration. All medical health practitioners regardless of training stream register through this Authority (Nursing, Medical, Physiotherapy, Chiropractic, Radiography, Sonography etc).

My position now is a Level 5 (Grade 5) Clinical Nurse Consultant with only two grades above me for Deputy Director of Nursing (6) or Director of Nursing (7) however called.

New Graduates upon being employed are at Level 1 and move through a career structure from there. To move beyond Level 2 usually means some form of grad training in an appropriate area.

Robyn B
Sydney