Tommy - The Trials and Tribulations of a Girl? - Chapter 139

Printer-friendly version


Tommy
The Trials and Tribulations of a Girl?

A Novel By Teddie S.

Copyright © 2018 Teddie S.
All Rights Reserved.

Chapter 139
A trip to Taos and the Taos Pueblo

Sunday Amy and I had flown back from Columbus to Albuquerque after a surprise send-off from our parents and friends. After we were back, Amy talked with Vickie about the exams that she had proctored for her, and I spoke with Dr. Joe about the exams that he’d proctored for me. Then we met up with Chief Tom and Vickie, and Dr. Joe and Mary for dinner.

At dinner, we talked more about the exams that Amy and I had prepared, and then about my student, Mr. Uintillie, who had written the letter to the Board of Regents about me. And, we discussed how to handle a meeting with him without involving the university. And I told Chief Tom that I’d like him to be there.

The talk on Tuesday with Mr. Uintillie had gone better than I thought it would. Mr. Uintillie right off admitted that he’d written the letter. Then he told us how his grandmother had reacted to what he’d done when she heard my name. And, when the meeting with Mr. Uintillie had broken up that it was on a very friendly note.

When I’d picked up Amy at the ER, she was exhausted, and she didn’t realize that I’d told her about the meeting with Mr. Uintillie as we walked home from the ER. Now we were going out to dinner at Nunzio's.

We wandered over to Nunzio's, and since it was a Tuesday evening, we only had to stand in line for twenty minutes. When we were inside the restaurant, I looked around to see if there was anyone that we knew, but I didn’t spot anyone. They seated us at a booth, and we ordered a bottle of wine and our favorite pizza.

They brought our wine right away, so as we waited for our food, we sipped wine, and Amy told me about her day, and she was right it was a hectic day. Then I filled her in on our meeting with Mr. Uintillie. She was amazed that right off he had admitted that he’d written the letter. Then she smiled the whole time that I was telling her about how his grandmother had gotten after him.

Then I told her that Dr. Joe and I would probably be going to Los Alamos next Monday to deliver the circuit that we’d been working on for them.

We’d finished that first bottle of wine before they brought the pizza, so I had them bring another bottle of wine, which we finished with our pizza.

As we walked back to the apartment, with me carrying half a pizza, Amy asked, “Do you think I could get a foot massage tonight?”

I just looked at her, grinned, and I said, “Your wish is my command.”

The rest of the week was surprisingly normal. Along with teaching our classes and Amy working in the ER, I finished mounting everything on the circuit board, I double checked all the solder points, and then Dr. Joe and I set up the circuit board for final testing. And everything looked good. So, it was looking like a trip to Los Alamos on Monday.

Friday, at dinner, I asked Amy, “So, what do you want to do this weekend?”

“Well, I’ve been thinking about Christmas presents.”, Amy replied.

“A little early. Isn’t it?”

“Not really.”

“So, what are you thinking?”, I asked.

“Well, I ran across those two dollar gold pieces that were in your Grandfather Nez's box.”, Amy replied. “And I thought we could do something with those for our mothers.”

“That would be nice. What are you thinking of doing with them?”

“Maybe have someone make them into necklaces.”

“Like, Mr. Yazzie?”

“I was thinking about him.”

“Want to go to Taos tomorrow, and see what he can do?”

“I’d like that.”

“Then maybe go to the Taos Pueblo.”

“To see Quah Ah?”

“Yeah.”, I replied. “And maybe take Charlie and Jackie along?”

“We could do that.”, Amy replied. “But, we’d have to call and see if Quah Ah and Governor Cochiti are available.”

“But, first we need to see if Charlie and Jackie want to go.”

We walked next door, and I knocked on the door. Charlie answered, and said, “Hi guys. Come on in.”

We walked into their apartment, Jackie saw us, and asked, “How was your trip?”

“Not fun.”, I replied. “It was a trip that I’d hoped never to make.”

“It had to be hard.”

“It was.”

“So, what’s up?”, Charlie asked.

“We’re thinking of going up to Taos tomorrow, and then to the Taos Pueblo.”, I replied. “And we were wondering if you’d like to go along?”

“We aren’t doing anything. So, I guess we could.”

“It’ll be an all-day thing. It’s a little over a two-hour drive up there, and we want to stop in Taos at our friend’s shop. He’s a silversmith, and we want him to make something for our mothers for Christmas.

“Then we can go up to the Taos Pueblo for the afternoon. There’s a nice little cafe at the Pueblo for lunch.”

“That sounds like fun.”, Jackie said. “We’ve never been up that way, except to the resort with you guys.”

“Want to see if Governor Cochiti is available.”, I asked.

“Sure.”, Charlie said.

Charlie found the card that the Governor had given him, made a call, and talked with the Governor. When Charlie finished speaking with him, he said, “I was surprised, the Governor remembered me. He said that he would be happy to see us and that he’d meet us for lunch at some place called Mary Esther Winter’s Adobe Cafe. And that he’d also let Quah Ah know that we were coming. He also said that he’d leave our names at the Registration Booth for the Pueblo, and we’d be his guests.”

“Great.”, I said. “The Adobe Cafe has a nice lunch menu. And it’ll be nice to see the Governor and Quah Ah again.”

“What time do we need to leave?”

“Around eight. Mr. Yazzie doesn’t open until ten. It won’t take long there, and then it’s only a ten-minute drive from Taos to the Pueblo.”

On Saturday morning Ajie and I were dressed as we usually are when we go to Taos, long skirts, fancy blouses, and wrap moccasins. Ajie had put her hair into a straight look with a plain braided leather headband. I’d done my hair in two braids and used one of the headbands with the Eagle feather. Both of us wore Concho belts, bracelets, and rings. Ajie wore one of the beaded chokers, and I wore the hair-pipe bone choker with silver.

At a little after eight on Saturday morning, Amy, Jackie, Charlie, and I were headed north out of Albuquerque towards Taos. It was a beautiful, cool, sunny day for a scenic drive. A little over two hours later we were pulling into Taos. I drove around the town pointing out some things to Jackie and Charlie. They loved the adobe buildings and the old church. I told them that this a real artist community and that there were hippy communes up in the mountains.

I also told Jackie and Charlie the story of the little boy who thought we were hippies, and they got a chuckle out of it.

I drove over to where Mr. Yazzie’s shop is, found a parking spot not too far from it, and parked the car. As we got out of the car, Jackie said, “I know that you’ve told us that when you’re dressed this way that you aren’t dressed in fancy clothes, but when you’re dressed this way I feel that I need to dress up.”

“Honey.”, Ajie said. “We need to take you to the reservation, and you’ll see that all the women wear clothes like this. What we’re wearing is a little fancier than every day, but that’s because of what we’re doing today.”

“I guess I’ll have to try a skirt and blouse like those sometime.”

“Just let me know.”

As we walked into Mr. Yazzie’s shop he looked up, smiled, and as he usually does, he said, “There’s my two favorite customers.”

“Yá'át'ééh, Mr. Yazzie.”, I said. “We’re going up to the Pueblo and thought we’d stop and see you.”

“You make my day when you do.”, Mr. Yazzie said. Then looking at Jackie and Charlie, he asked, “And, who do we have here?”

“These are our friends from the university, Jackie and Charlie Hamilton.”

“Welcome to my shop, Jackie and Charlie. Feel free to look around.”

“Thank you, Mr. Yazzie.”, Jackie said.

“Kai and I do have something that we’d like you to do.”, Ajie said.

“And what’s that?”, Mr. Yazzie asked.

Ajie opened her purse, took out a folded piece of cloth, set it on the counter, unfolded it, and said, “Do you remember these?”

Mr. Yazzie looked at was laying on the cloth, and said, “Yes, those are the two 1850 Gold Dollars that were in Kilchii Nez’s box. Aren’t they.”

“Yes. We were wondering if you could do something nice with them for our mothers for Christmas.”

“Of course I can. Did you have anything in mind?”

“Maybe a silver necklace to show off the gold piece.”

“That would look nice. Give me a week or two to come up with something.”

“I know whatever you do will be very nice.”

Jackie and Charlie had been looking around, and they walked back over to us, and Jackie said, “Mr. Yazzie, you have some very nice things.”

“Thank you.”, Mr. Yazzie replied.

Then as we were leaving, I said, “We’ll see you in a week or two, Mr. Yazzie. Hágoónee'.”

“Hágoónee', you four. Jackie and Charlie come back any time.”

“Thank you, Mr. Yazzie.”, Jackie said.

As we were getting into the car, Charlie asked, “Were those coins really gold?”

“Yes.”, Ajie said. “You remember us telling you about finding that wooden box with all the silver smith’s tools that belonged to Kai’s grandfather?”

“Yes. The one that’s at the resort in the display case.”

“Yes. They were in there. In a secret compartment with some other things.”

“It sounds like Kai’s grandfather was clever.”

“He was.”, I said. “It took three of us to figure out how to open the secret compartment, and Ajie was the one that finally did.”

As we drove away from Mr. Yazzie’s shop, I heard Charlie say, “Kit Carson!”

“Kit Carson.”, I said. “What about him?”

“That was his house back there! Was he real?”

“Sure. Did you think he wasn’t.”

“No … Well maybe. The TV shows. I thought that was all made up.”

“Oh no. Kit Carson was real.”

“So, that was his house back there?”

“Yes, I guess he bought it for his wife as a wedding present, and they’ve now turned it into a museum.”

“So, a lot of what we’ve heard about the old west is true?”

“In a way. You have to realize that the TV people rewrite the truth to make it more entertaining.”

“You’ve heard about the Santa Fe Trail.”, Ajie asked. “Haven’t you?”

“Sure.”, Charlie said. “Is that another tall tale?”

“No, the next time that we’re in Santa Fe we’ll show you the trail.”

It only took us ten minutes to make the drive to the Taos Pueblo, and when we pulled up, Jackie asked, “When did people live here?”

“People have lived here continuously for over a thousand years.”, Ajie replied.

“That would make it before Columbus. And, they still live here?”

“Yes. And, it would have been a long time before Columbus.”

We parked the car and had a little time to kill until we met the Governor and Quah Ah for lunch, so we decided to wander around. We went to the Registration Booth, where they collect a visitors fee. As we walked up, Charlie said, “We’re meeting Governor Cochiti and Quah Ah for lunch at Mary Esther Winter’s Adobe Cafe. And he said to stop here and tell you.”

The woman looked at the four of us, then said to Charlie, “What’s your name?”

“I’m Charlie Hamilton.”, Charlie replied.

“And the other three?”

“My wife, Jackie. And, Kai Nez, and Ajie Nez.”

“Kai Nez!?”

“Yes.”

“Oh, I see. Yes, there’s a note here from the Governor with your names on it. Do you know where the Adobe Cafe is?”

“Yes.”, I replied. “I do.”

As the woman handed us each a printed folder about the Pueblo, she said, “Okay. Go on in.”

Charlie said, “Thank you.”

As we walked away from the booth, Jackie said, “Kai, it seems that your name precedes you.”

“Yeah.”, I replied. “Sometimes that’s good, and sometimes that’s bad.”

“Bad?”

“People expect things. They think I bring good luck and other things.”

“Don’t you bring good luck?”

“I don’t think so.”

“I think you did to us.”

The four of us walked around the Pueblo looking at things. Ajie and I had been here before, but it still amazed me that something like this could have been built over a thousand years ago and still exist. As we walked around, we talked about the construction of the Pueblo. It was all adobe and in places three stories high. And, they used ladders to go from one level to another.

At about Noon we walked up to the blue door of the Adobe Cafe and walked in. The woman standing there, asked us, “Four for lunch?”

“Yes, we’re meeting Governor Cochiti here for lunch.”

“Oh yes! Please, come with me.”

We followed the woman to a table and the Governor and Quah Ah, the medicine-woman, were already there, They saw us as we walked up, stood, and greeted us. Then the Governor introduced us to the woman who had brought us to the table. Her name was Ester Winter, the daughter of Mary Ester Winter who started the cafe. And when he introduced me to Ester, she just looked at me, and I said, “Yes, I’m that Kai Nez.”

She smiled, and said, “I’m so happy to meet you. I’ve heard so much about you. Welcome to our humble cafe.”

I simply said, “Thank you.”

As we sat, Jackie looked at me, and said, “Kai, who doesn’t know of you?”

“I’m surprised every time someone says something like that especially when we’re away from the Nation.”, I replied.

“Kai.”, Quah Ah said. “Many of the people have heard of you. You are special to them, both Navajo and other native people.”

“I’m finding this out. I might have to disguise myself.”

“That would be impossible, Kai.”, Ajie said with a little smile. “No matter what you did, there is something about you that says; I’m Kai.”

After the woman had walked away, Governor Cochiti said, “I’m so happy that the four of you could visit with us.”

“Governor.”, I said. “I love exploring this area, as well as the Navajo Nation. And the more Ajie and I see of it, the more we love it.”

“Governor.”, Charlie then said. “I have to agree with Kai. Kai and Ajie have shown us a small part of this area, and it’s not hard to fall in love with. And, the Pueblo is amazing.”

“Thank you, Charlie. We take pride in it. And I’m going to be happy to show you around.”

“We’re looking forward to that.”

“May I suggest that you try the Indian Taco that they make here. It’ll be different and better than any other taco that you’ve had.”

“Hmm.”, I said. “I don’t know about that. My Aunt Ruth makes a wonderful Southwestern Taco.”

“I can believe that she does. But, this will be different.”

“I’m willing to give it a try.”

The six of us ordered the Indian Tacos and talked while we waited. And, when they were delivered, I said, “Governor, you didn’t tell us that they were frybread tacos.”

“I wanted to surprise you.”, the Governor said with a smile.

“And, a nice surprise it was.”

The Governor was right this Indian Taco was different than what my aunt makes, and it was good. We all enjoyed it.

After we’d finished lunch, which the Governor paid for after an argument from Charlie and me, the Governor took us on a guided tour of the Pueblo.

First, we went to his home which is outside the old wall, as electricity isn't allowed inside the old wall. It was a large and comfortable house, built of adobe, with a nice living room, a large eat-in kitchen, and his office, on the first floor, and bedrooms on the second level. He then took us to a room off the back, and that was set up as a wood shop, and Charlie was impressed. The Governor showed Charlie several things that he was working on, and they talked about how to do various things.

I think the Governor and Charlie would have spent all afternoon in the wood shop if we’d let him. But Quah Ah got them moving as the rest of us were getting a little bored. The workshop was interesting, but we wanted to see more of the Pueblo.

The Governor took us places that most outsiders couldn’t go. Our first stop from his house was to an underground chamber call a Kiva, which is used as a ceremonial chamber. While we were there, I looked at Quah Ah, and whispered, “I feel spirits here.”

She whispered back, “The same as I do.”

“Interesting.”

“Yes, it is for you to feel them. But, you are a Nádleeh.”

Quah Ah then told us a little about the Taos religion and the Catholic church. Most of the Pueblo Indians are Catholic, but still practice the ancient Indian rites which are essential to their way of life. That’s why along with the Kivas there’s a Catholic church, San Geronimo Chapel, right in the Pueblo. The Chapel serves the one hundred and fifty people who live inside the old walls, as well as those that live in the rest of the Pueblo.

The Governor then took us to the Hlauuma or North House, it and the Hlaukwima or South House are the two oldest structures in the Taos Pueblo and were built between 1000AD and 1450AD. And, I was amazed that these three story adobe structures were in such good condition for being that old.

As we were walking from the Hlaukwima or South House to the Old San Geronimo Church, we stopped by the chapel, walked in, and looked at the interior.

Then the Governor took us to the ruins of the Old San Geronimo Church and graveyard. As we walked towards it, he told us that the original church was built in 1619, and was first destroyed in 1680, rebuilt, and then destroyed again in 1847 during the War with Mexico. The area is considered sacred and is off limits to all but members of the Pueblo.

As we walked up to the gate in the wall, I saw the sign that said, ‘Restricted Area. No Admittance.’ The Governor opened the gate, and he and Quah Ah walked through it. Amy, Jackie, Charlie, and I stopped at the gate.

The Governor turned to say something and saw us still standing at the gate, and said, “What’s wrong?”

“We’re not permitted in there. We’re not members of the Pueblo.”, I replied.

“You’re my guests.”

“But you told us that it was off limits to all but members of the Pueblo.”

“Kai, would you come on. You’re my guest. I’ll make you an honorary member if it would make you feel better.”

“You can you do that?”

“No. Just come on. It’s fine.”

I grinned, as I said, “Coming, Governor.”

The four of us caught up with the Governor and Quah Ah. And, we walked up to the ruins of the old church. Then the Governor gave us the full history of it.

“Feeling any spirits here, Kai?”, Quah Ah asked.

“No.”, I replied.

“I don’t either.”

Quah Ah then just stared at me. So, I asked, “Is something wrong?”

“No.”, Quah Ah said. “Nothing at all. I just realized what it is about you that shows that your special.”

“What’s that.”

“Your blue eyes. Kai, your blue eyes are striking, and so are Ajie's. I think it’s what draws people to you. There’s just something about seeing them on a native.”

I just looked at Quah Ah.

She continued with, “And, I can see why people listen to you. They see in your eyes that you are speaking the truth. You always look directly at people when you talk to them. It tells them you are truthful and you want to help them.”

“I know of other Indians that have blue eyes.”, I said.

“Yes, so do I. But, there’s something special about yours.”

“You do know that I’m only one-fourth Navajo.”

“No!”, Qua Ah said.

“And, Ajie in only one-sixty-fourth Wampanoag Indian.”

“No.”

“And we’re both blue-eyed blonds.”

Quah Ah and the Governor just stared.

And I continued with the explanation that we used about the recessive gene and then I added, “When I’m out here my female spirit is very strong, so I feel better looking and acting like a girl. But, I’m not a girl.

“Ajie has been accepted by the Navajo people and feels better passing as a native girl. Her skin is so light that she quickly tanned after we moved out here, and my skin darkened.”

“So … So, you’re a boy?”, Quah Ah asked.

“She’s a boy in body, but a girl in spirit.”, Ajie said.

“Too much information?”, I asked.

“No.”, Quah Ah said. “And, it answers a puzzle that I’ve had when I’ve been around you. And Naainish has hinted at this. I’ve felt your two spirits, a male one and a female one. And the female one was always the stronger one. But there was something that said that the male one was older.”

“Older?”

“Yes. Older.”

“Oh? I’ve never been told that before.”

“That’s what I’m feeling.”

“I need to talk to Naainish about this.”

“So.”, the Governor said. “Who knows about this.”

“In the Navajo Nation those in the leadership, like Chief Kinlicheeny, Chief Etsitty, and a few others. And of course Naainish. At the university, again those in the leadership, the president, a few deans, and some others.”

“And, they all accept this?”

“Yes, and I don’t know why. Maybe they feel good things with me.”

“Kai, when we had the small Powwow at the resort where I first met you, I felt good things about you. You just put me at ease when I was around you. I couldn’t help but like you.”

“Governor.”, Quah Ah said. “I felt the same way when I heard Kai stand up for herself in front of the Board of Regents. I could feel the good in her spirits.”

“We’ve only known these two for a short time.”, Jackie said. “And we feel that we have made two wonderful friends. I’ve seen them do special things. I’ve seen Kai put herself in danger to protect a pair of Eagles. I don’t think Charlie and I could ask for better friends.”

I looked at Jackie and Charlie, and I felt bad. Why should I feel bad, they just said something very nice about us. Could it be because of lying to them about Jackie’s scholarship. … Do friends lie to friends.

Quah Ah looked at me, and said, “There’s something else with you and Ajie. Isn’t there Kai?”

I took a deep breath, and said, “I guess since we’re laying all the cards on the table.” I looked at Ajie, then said, “Ajie and I are also husband and wife.”

Quah Ah smiled, and said, “I’m not surprised. Knowing that Ajie means ‘my heart’ in Navajo, and what Naainish has told me about the two of you, I figured that you were partners of some kind. And, now knowing that you are, in body, a boy, it only makes sense.”

Looking at the Governor, I asked, “Still friends?”

The Governor smiled, and said, “Yes. Good friends.”

Quah Ah hugged me and then Ajie. Then she said, “Yes, terrific friends.”

I looked at Jackie and Charlie, and asked, “Well?”

“We’ve known most of this for a while, and accept it.”, Jackie said. “They have a crazy and wonderful relationship, and complement each other. They’re meant to be together.”

I looked at the Governor, he was still smiling, and he said, “Kai, you and Ajie are welcome to come back anytime. But, there is a condition. You have to bring Charlie and Jackie with you.”

“That’s a deal, Governor.”, I said.

~o~O~o~

Dear readers, Remember authors like comments. And even constructive criticism. Please leave a comment. Want to comment but don't want to open an account? Anyone can log in as Guest Reader -- with a password of topshelf to leave a comment. Thanks.

AttachmentSize
Image icon Chapel.jpg69.41 KB
Image icon Pueblo.jpg397.73 KB
up
287 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I know it's fiction,

but if I were part of Kai and Ajie or one of their friends, I would never leave that place. I'm looking forward to reading about the interaction between Mr. Yazzie and Kai when they pick up the jewelry.

It is a very pretty area,

It is a very pretty area, what with the mountains, forests, and deserts.

Charlie and Jackie are moving up in the

world, Who knows where something like this could lead?

Merry Christmas Teddie, I hope it is an excellent one.

Yes, Wendy Jean, Charlie and

Yes, Wendy Jean, Charlie and Jackie have become very good friends of our pair.

And, a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you.

I get a feeling...

My5InchFMHeels's picture

Kai is going to have to come clean with Jackie and Charlie soon about the help they have been a part of. I get the feeling of they don't it may eat at Kai, maybe even eating at Ajie.