Tommy - The Trials and Tribulations of a Girl? - Chapter 203

Printer-friendly version



Tommy
The Trials and Tribulations of a Girl?

A Novel By Teddie S.

Copyright © 2019 Teddie S.
All Rights Reserved.

Chapter 203


I’m a boy dressed as a girl?
Spirits from the courtyard fire pit.
I want to talk to him first.
In charge of the barbecue?


Last Saturday, Charlie and Jackie came up, and we went to pick out some rugs for the hogan. Then Naainish showed up with Quah Ah to do the House Blessing Ceremony for the hogan, and they spent the night in it.

Sunday, Amy and I spent working on school stuff. The books for the new course on computer design were worthless. And I think that I knew what we needed to do with the new course.

When I was with Dr. Joe on Monday, I put my cards on the table. I told him how I felt that we were going in the wrong direction and that the university should concentrate on computer programming. And after a meeting with the Dean and a Mrs. Cooper, who is working on putting together the university's programming courses. We put the idea of the course in computer design in the round file.
They also wanted Amy to put together a course for the College of Medicine and the College of Nursing. A course in working with the native people. Plus after graduation, Vickie Etsitty would be the acting Dean of the College of Nursing. 

I also realized that I had to go to graduation, and it was too late to order regalia from the book store. So, mom came to the rescue and is shipping both of our caps and gowns to us.

Amy was unhappy when she found out that the hospital wanted her to stay part-time this summer to cover vacations and call-offs.

And on Wednesday they’d made a mess of the office as they installed the alarm system. So, Dr. Joe and I didn’t get anything done as we had to be there while they were working.

Thursday started as a typical day. I taught my classes, attended my grad level class, and went to the office to work on the project for Los Alamos or whoever.

Dr. Joe wasn’t there, so I was sitting at the desk reading the papers in the binder and eating lunch. The phone rang. I answered it, and said, “Hello, Dr. Oshie’s office. This is Miss Nez.”

“Miss Nez, I’m Jennifer King. I’m a student reporter for the Daily Lobo. The university’s newspaper.”

“Yes, how can I help you?”

“You are Miss Kai Nez?”

“Yes, I am. How can I help you?”

“I would like to meet with you.”

“Can I ask about what?”, I asked.

“We’ve received some information that you may not be who you say you are.”, Miss King replied. Uh-oh!

“Excuse me.”

“Miss Nez, we’ve been told that you may be … ”

“A homosexual?”

“Ah. No, Miss Nez, we’ve been told that you are a boy that dresses like a girl.”

“May I ask who told you that?”, I asked.

“For now, we need to keep that as privileged information.”, Miss King replied. “Will you meet with me?”

“Of course. Would you like to come to my office at three?”

“That would be good.”

“Okay, Miss King, I’ll see you at three.”

“See you at three. Goodbye.”

“Goodbye.”

And I hung up.

I sat at the desk and thought, ‘I’m a guy dressed as a girl? I guess I am.’

Then I heard a key in the door, and Dr. Joe walked in. He looked at me and said, “Kai, what’s wrong?”

“Sit down.”, I said.

Dr. Joe sat at the work table, looked at me, and said, “Now what happened?”

“I just got a phone call.”

“From who?”

“A reporter from the Daily Lobo.”

“The school paper. About what?”

“Something that was bound to happen. Someone has told them that I’m a boy.”

“Who the hell did that?”

“She wouldn’t tell me. Something about privileged information.”

“What are you going to do?”

“Meet with her, here, at three.”

“You’re gutsy.”, Dr. Joe said.

“You know I am.”, I said.

“What are you going to tell them?”

“I’m not sure.”

“Would you like me to be here?”

“It would be nice.

“I’m going to run home and get some things.”

“What?”

“All of the information that others have written about the Nádleeh.”

“Why?”

“Just in case I need to explain what a two spirit person is.”

“Good idea. Are you going to be okay to drive.”

“Yep. It’ll help me clear my head.”

“Okay. I’ll be here.”

I locked my binder on the project in the file cabinet and headed home. On the way home, I was trying to figure out who was trying to out me as being a boy. And I came up with nothing unless it was Peshlakai or someone related to him. Or maybe someone from Los Alamos’s security department. Hmm.

When I was home, I grabbed the paper that Larry had done on the Nádleeh when we were undergraduates. The research paper that Dr. Whitmeyer had done on the two spirit people after he and I talked after he tried to discredit Larry’s paper. And the article the Fairbrothers had written on the two spirit people for the American Indian’s newsletter.

I then headed back to the university. I stopped in the Dean’s office and had Sara make me copies of all the articles. And as she was handing me the copies, Sara asked, “Kai, what’s going on?”

“Why?”

“There were all kinds of people here today. Dr. Oshie was here to see the Dean. Then President Lingham came in. And they had their heads together.”

“Dr. Lingham came here.”

“Yes, he just walked in and went right to the Dean’s office.”

“A meeting of the minds.

“Sara, please, this goes no further. Okay?”

“Okay.”

“Someone has told the school’s paper that I’m a boy that dresses like a girl.”

“You!? No way.”

“Thank you. I’ve got to run. See you later.”

“See you, Kai. Good luck.”

“Thanks, Sara.”

I headed to the office, and the lights were on. I tried the door, it was unlocked, and I walked in. Dr. Joe was there, as was Dean Rutherford. They looked at me, and the Dean said, “Miss Nez. Is what Dr. Oshie told me true?”

“What? That I’m a boy dressed as a girl? You know I am.”

“Yes, Miss Nez, I know that you are. But someone has told the Daily Lobo that?”

“Yes, apparently someone did.”

“What are you going to do?”

“Talk with the reporter. At least they contacted me before they published it.”

“At least. Do you want me to stay?”

“I don’t think it’ll be necessary. But if you’d like to, you’re welcome.”

“What are you going to tell them?”

“The truth.”, I said.

“The truth!?”, Dean Rutherford said.

“Yes, that I’m a two spirit person.”

“Are you going to tell them that you’re a boy!?”

“No, not unless I have to.”

“Good. Let me know what happens.”

“I will, sir.”

The Dean left, and Dr. Oshie asked, “Are you ready for this?”

“Yes.”, I replied. “And you didn’t have to call in the troops.”

“The troops?”

“Dr. Lingham and Dean Rutherford.”

“Sorry. But, I figured that they should know.”

“I guess they should.”

Dr. Joe and I sat there waiting for three o’clock to roll around, and just before three, there was a knock on the door. I said, “Come in.”

The door opened, and a girl walked in. She looked around, then at me, and I asked, “Can I help you?”

“Ah. … Yes.”, the girl said. “I’m looking for a Miss Kai Nez.”

“And you are?”

“I’m Miss Jennifer King, and I’m a reporter for the Daily Lobo.”

“Well, Miss Jennifer King, I’m Kai Nez.”

“No … No, you can’t be.”

“Why can’t I be.”

“You just can’t.”

“What were you expecting a boy dressed as a girl?”

“Well … Yeah, I guess I was.”

“Miss King, I’ll assure you that I’m Kai Nez.”

“But, you look nothing like a boy.”

“Thank you.”

“Miss King, this is Dr. Oshie. He’s my proctor for my graduate work. And I think he can confirm who I am.”

She looked at Dr. Joe and said, “Dr. Oshie?”

“Yes, Miss King.”, Dr. Joe said.

“Is she really Kai Nez?”

“Yes.”

I opened my purse and took out my driver’s license and my university ID and offered them to Miss King. She took them, looked at them, and as she handed them back, she said, “I guess you are.”

“Now, Miss King, what can I do for you?”, I asked.

“Do you want Dr. Oshie here while we talk about this?”

“It’s not a problem. I don’t have anything to hide.”

“Why are you so at ease with this? When I told you what I wanted to talk to you about, I was expecting a completely different reaction than I got.”

“There was no reason for me to react in any other way than I did. As I said, I have nothing to hide.”

“Hopefully we can clear this up.”, Miss King said.

“I hope so.”

“First, before I left the paper, my editor came to me and told me to handle you with kid gloves. Something about you being special to the Navajo people.”

“So I’m told. And, you don’t have to handle me with kid gloves. I have broad shoulders. So, what would you like to know.”

“A student approached us, and he told us that you’re a boy that dresses like a girl. Are you?”, Miss King asked.

“You tell me, Miss King. Am I?”, I replied.

“After seeing and talking with you, I don't think so. You’re too pretty.”

“Thank you. I’ve gotten this before because of my field of study. There aren’t many girls that are electrical engineers.”

“I can imagine. When I first saw you, I was confused. You didn’t look like what I expected.”

“A boy dressed as a girl?”

“Yes.”

“Where did you get this information?”

“Another student reporter who had only been with us for a month or so took the initial information.”, Miss King said.

“I’m glad that you contacted me before someone wrote the article.”

“I am too, Miss Nez. But I’m still surprised as to how you reacted when I contacted you.”, Miss King said.

“Miss King, I’ve always had problems with being in the man’s world of electrical engineering. And I’ve been challenged before. But I’ve always shown that I know my subject and how to teach it. I stand up for myself.

“The only thing that I’d like to know is why the student came to you with that information.”

“I don’t know Miss Nez, and because it’s privileged information, I can’t tell you who he is. But, I feel that this story is dead.”

“I’m glad to hear that, Miss King. Is there anything else?”

“No, Miss Nez. I’ll tell my editor that the boy had some incorrect information.”

After Miss King left, Dr. Joe said, “You handled that very well. And you didn’t bring up the two spirit thing with Miss King, and she seemed at ease with you.”

“I felt good about her, but not that good.”, I said. “And I felt that she might have problems with the two spirit thing.

“And some people feel at ease with me, especially those that don’t mean harm. Also, my female spirit is with me, and I feel that she is very strong right now.”

“You can feel those things about people. Can’t you?”

“In some cases, yes.

“Do you think that your female spirit is trying to protect you?”

“As always, yes. And I guess I should stop and see the Dean on the way home.”

“Yes, you should. And I’ll go with you.”, Dr. Joe said. “But first, just listening to you talk with her was interesting. You never told her that you were a girl, so you didn’t lie to her.”

I just smiled.

“And, you came across like you always do. Strong and powerful.”

“I was just trying to get my point across.”, I said.

“That you did.”

Dr. Joe and I locked up the office and went to the Dean’s office. As we walked in, Sara looked at me and asked, “Is everything all right, Kai.”

I smiled, gave her a thumbs-up, and asked, “Can he see us?”

“Yes, have a seat, and I’ll tell him that you’re here.”

Dr. Joe and I sat and waited. Ten minutes later, the Dean came out of his office, and said, “Miss Nez, Dr. Oshie, come on back. And, Sara, will you, please call Mr. Parker.”

Sara said, “Yes, sir.”

Dr. Joe and I followed the Dean to his office, and we sat in two of the three chairs that were in front of his desk, then the Dean asked, “So, Miss Nez, how did it go?”

“No problem, sir. The reporter had no problem with what I told her.”

“And she didn’t lie to the reporter.”, Dr. Joe said.

“Do you know why the student did what he did?”, the Dean asked.

“No, I don’t. And it bothers me that I don’t.”

“We may find out.”

“Oh?”, I said.

“I called Los Alamos, spoke with Dr. Fontheim, and told him what was going on. And he was concerned.”, the Dean said.

“Concerned?”

“They’re worried about this affecting you and the project. And what this young man’s agenda might be.”

“And.”

“You will hear from the FBI.”

“The FBI? But we don’t know who the student is.”

“We could know soon.”

“Oh, how?”

There was a knock on the door, and the Dean said, “This may be our answer now.” Then he said, “Come in.”

The door opened, and a man walked in. The Dean then said, “Miss Nez, Dr. Oshie, this is Mr. Parker. He is the faculty advisor to the Daily Lobo.

“Mr. Parker, this is Miss Kai Nez and Dr. Joe Oshie.”

We exchanged greetings. Then the Dean said, “Mr. Parker, have a seat.”

As Mr. Parker sat, the Dean said, “First, Mr. Parker, everything that we discuss is off the record.”

“Yes, sir.”, Mr. Parker said. “It’s off the record.”

“I think you know what’s going on with Miss Nez?”

“Yes, Dean Rutherford, I do. And I’m sorry that we accepted that student’s information as quickly as we did. And I was able to talk to the reporter before I came over, and she told me everything, including that as far as she’s concerned, the story is dead.

“And now meeting Miss Nez, I agree with Miss King, the story is dead.”

“Mr. Parker.”, I said. “I was happy that you contacted me before you published any article.”

“Mrs. Nez.”, Mr. Parker said. “We always try to contact everyone that is part of a story before we publish anything.”

“Now, Mr. Parker.”, Dean Rutherford said. “We do have another problem. Because of the research that Miss Nez is involved in, I had to contact the people who we are doing the research for. And they’re concerned.

“They’re concerned for Miss Nez and the project, and what this student’s agenda might be. We feel that he doesn't know the project exists. But by bringing something as he did to you about her, it may affect her research.

“So, you will be hearing from the FBI on this. And Dr. Lingham has requested your full cooperation on this.”

“The FBI!”, Mr. Parker said. “I did hear from Dr. Lingham. But he never mentioned the FBI. Does this have to go there?”

“It’s not the universities call on this, but the call of the organization that we’re doing research for that requires it. It’s a government agency, and when something like this happens, we are required to inform them.”

“I see. You know that the paper tries to protect our sources.”

“Yes, I know that New Mexico has a law on the books protecting your confidential sources. But you’re dealing with something on the Federal level.”

“I know, sir. And that’s a different can of worms.”

“Dean Rutherford.”, I said. “I know that the FBI will want to talk with this student. But I’d like to talk to him first if I could. I want to know where all this has come from.”

“I don’t know, Miss Nez.”, Dean Rutherford said.

Dr. Joe then said, “Sir, both you and I’ve heard her confront other students that have done things. And I think that she can do him more good than anyone else can. She's not a vindictive person. Plus, she may be able to get more out of him than the FBI can.”

“Do you feel that way, Miss Nez?”

“Yes, sir.”, I said.

“Where would you want to do this?”

“I’d like to do it on a one on one basis. But, it might be better with the FBI there, and maybe you and Dr. Oshie. Maybe here in your office.”

“The FBI for the shock factor?”

“Yes, sir. If necessary.”

“Well, Mr. Parker.”, the Dean said. “The ball is in your court.”

“What do you need from me?”, Mr. Parker asked.

“The boy's name.”

Mr. Parker took a piece of paper out of his packet, and as he handed it to the Dean, he said, “I’d rather give this to you than to the FBI.”

The Dean took the paper, looked at it, and said, “I don’t know him.”

“Can I see that, Dean.”, I said.

The Dean handed it to me, I looked at it, and said, “He’s very quiet, and I don’t think he has many friends.”

“Which of your classes is he in?”, Dr. Joe asked.

“He’s in my nine o’clock Introduction to Computer Design class and is an above-average student.”

“When do you want to do this?”, Dean Rutherford asked.

“As soon as possible.”, I said.

“We’ll have to see who the FBI sends and what they have to say.”, Dean Rutherford said.

The meeting broke up at that point, and both Dr. Joe and I headed home. I knew that Amy wouldn’t be home when I got there, she was working a split shift and wouldn’t be home until after eight.

I pulled into the garage, went into the house, straight to our bedroom, and changed clothes. Then I went to the kitchen and found the pitcher of sangria in the refrigerator, and poured myself a glass. Then I looked at the answering machine, and the light was flashing.

I walked over to the answering machine, rewound the tape, and pressed play. And I heard, “Miss Nez, this is Special Agent Adams of the FBI. Would you please give me a call. I’ll be in the office until late. The number is … ” and he gave me his number and said goodbye.

I took the sangria into the big room, sat, and called the number that Agent Adams had given me. Then after I’d made it through the operator at the FBI, I heard, “Special Agent Adams. How can I help you?”

“Agent Adams.”, I said. “This is Kai Nez. You called.”

“Miss Nez, how are you.”

“I’m fine. And you?”

“I’m good. I never thought that I hear from you again.”

“I was hoping the same thing. And it didn’t take you long to call me.”

“When we hear from who we heard from and what it’s about, we move quickly.”

“I guess that you do. What would you like to know?”

I spent the next fifteen minutes explaining to Agent Adams what had gone on — talking to the reporter from the Daily Lobo. Meeting with the Dean. Talking with Mr. Parker, the faculty advisor for the of the Daily Lobo.

When I finished, we talked about how to handle the situation. And Agent Adams was surprised that I wanted to meet with the student the way I do. But, I reminded him of how I handled the problem with the security people from Los Alamos. It took me a while to convince Agent Adams to let me try to talk to the boy, but he finally agreed to try it first. And then we decided to meet tomorrow at the university and set up a plan.

While I was talking to Agent Adams, I finished my sangria and then went back to the kitchen and decided on what I was going to make for dinner. When Amy walked in the door, I said, “Welcome home, sweetheart.”

“Hi, love. How was your day?”, Amy asked.

“You don’t want to know.”

“Come talk to me while I change.”

“I’ll ruin dinner if I do. Go change, and dinner will be ready in ten.”

“I’ll be right back.”

“I’ll be here.”

Later as we sat at the table eating dinner, I filled her in on what had happened. From the phone call from the reporter. To our meeting with her. To the meeting with the faculty advisor from the Daily Lobo. Then the phone call with Agent Adams.

When I finished, Amy said, “I can’t believe this. When’s it going to stop?”

“I don’t know.”, I said. “I’m so glad we’re going to the barbecue tomorrow. I need to meditate at the bonfire.”

“I can feel that need. So, are you going to talk to this boy?” Amy asked.

“I have to. I want to know why he did this.”, I replied.

“It would be good to know.”

“It would.

“Anything more on the ER front?”

“No, nothing yet. Is there any sangria left?”

“Yes, go on out in the courtyard, and as soon as I get the kitchen cleaned up, I’ll bring you one.”

A little while later, I carried two glasses of sangria out to the courtyard. And I was surprised to see a nice fire burning in the fire pit. As I handed Amy her sangria, I said, “You did a good job of building that fire.”

“I had a good teacher.”, she replied with a cute smile.

I sat down next to her, and we enjoyed the fire and the sangrias. After a few minutes, I said, “I’m sure glad tomorrow's Friday.”

“Why?”, Amy asked.

“Did you forget. It’s the first barbecue of the year.”

“No, I didn’t forget.”

“Did you remind Jackie to bring a change of clothes because we’ll probably be there overnight?”

“No!”

Amy jumped up and ran to the kitchen. And I yelled, “Tell them to be here by three and also to bring bathing suits.”

She waved, so I figured that she heard me. I saw her pick up the phone and dial. She talked for a couple of minutes, then hung up. As Amy walked back out into the courtyard and sat next to me, she said, “They’ll be here at three and have a change of clothes with them.”

“Good.”, I said. “I want to be at the resort by five.”

A few minutes later, Amy said, “You know, we now have a hogan. And a hogan is supposed to be used for ceremonies and to keep ourselves in balance. I wonder if meditating in the hogan would be the same as meditating at the bonfire?” 

“Hmm. Interesting idea.”, I said. “And I wonder if meditating here with this fire would also be the same. It has ashes from the fire pit at the resort?”

I got up, walked into the bedroom, picked up a couple of rugs, and brought them out to the fire pit in the courtyard. I placed one rug on the east side of the fire and the other on the west side. Then I said, “Ajie, join me.”

Ajie stood, walked over to the fire, and sat on one of the rugs. I walked over and sat on the other rug. I sat there for a few minutes, and then I began to feel the spirit of the fire. Interesting! Then a chant came to me, and I started to chant it. I heard Ajie join me in the chant. When we finished the chant, we sat there in silence for a little while. Then I looked at Ajie and asked, “Did you feel the spirit of the fire?”

“Yes.”, Ajie replied.

“That is good.”

“Yes, that is good. How do you feel?”

“A little better.”

“Then, it is good.”

I got up, went over to Ajie, offered her my hand, she took it, and I helped her stand. We hugged. And, Ajie whispered, “Ayóó'áníínísh'ní, Kai Nez. - (I love you, Kai Nez.)”

“Ayóó aníínísh’ní aldó’, Ajie Nez. - (I love you too, Ajie Nez.)”, I whispered back.

Friday, Amy was coming home right after she finished teaching her classes. I had to wait until I spoke with the FBI. I Taught my two classes and was back in the office at eleven, and as I walked in, Dr. Joe said, “Good, you’re here. The guy from the FBI got here about ten-thirty, and I told Dean Rutherford that we’d be down as soon as you got here.”

“This better not take long.”, I said. “We’re going to the resort this weekend.”

“I wish we were going with you.”

“With the baby due any day, it probably wouldn’t be a good idea.”

“Good thought.”

“Let’s get this over with.”

As we walked into the Engineering College’s office, Sara saw us, and said, “Go on back. He’s expecting you.”

“Thanks, Sara.”, I said.

Dr. Joe and I walked back to the Dean’s office. Dr. Joe knocked, and we heard, “Come.”

Dr. Joe opened the door for me and followed me into the office. Dean Rutherford, Special Agent Adams of the FBI, and Dr. Fontheim of the Los Alamos National Laboratory were sitting around the small meeting table. When I saw Dr. Fontheim, I hesitated, and Dr. Joe almost ran into me.

“Dr. Fontheim.”, I said. “I didn’t expect to see you here.”

“Hello, Miss Nez. Dr. Oshie.”, Dr. Fontheim said. “When something like this happens, and we know about it, we like to be involved.”

Dr. Joe and I sat, and the Dean said, “Miss Nez, would you please fill us in on what happened yesterday.”

“Yes, sir.”, I said. And I filled them in on the details of yesterday, even to the conversation that I had with Agent Adams after I’d gotten home.

Dr. Fontheim then asked, “Miss Nez, do you feel that this student has any knowledge of the current project?”

“I seriously doubt it. I don’t think that he knows that I even do research. But, I’d like to find out what was on his mind that made him do this kind of thing.”

“Dean Rutherford was telling us that you’d like to question him.”

“Yes, I would. And Agent Adams, nothing against you, but I think I might be able to get more out of him then you might be able to.”

“You really think so, Miss Nez?”, Agent Adams said.

“I think that if he knows that the FBI is involved that it may frighten him too much. And he’ll clam up.”

“That’s a possibility, Miss Nez. But I’d like to be there.”

“I’d have no problems with that. Like we talked about last night, I’d like to have Dr. Oshie, Dean Rutherford, and you there, with you in the background just in case.”

“When do you want to do this?”, Dean Rutherford asked.

“With finals week the week after next, I feel that the sooner, the better. Probably Monday and here in your office, Dean.”

“What do you think, Agent Adams?”, the Dean asked.

“After what I’ve seen Miss Nez do, I feel okay with it.”, Agent Adams said. “It’s a little out of the norm for the way that we handle this sort of thing, but if this young man is a pawn, she may be able to find out more.”

I looked at Dr. Fontheim, and asked, “Dr. Fontheim, you’ve been quiet through all of this. What are your thoughts.”

“Miss Nez.”, Dr. Fontheim said. “I feel that this is under control. And with the FBI involved the way they are, I feel even better.”

“Good. What time do we want to do this?”

“How’s one o’clock.”, Dean Rutherford said. “And I’ll be sure that the boy is here.”

Everyone agreed to one o’clock on Monday afternoon, and that we’d meet in the Dean’s office at twelve-thirty. Then I handed the Dean the piece of paper that Mr. Parker, the faculty advisor for the Lobo Daily paper, had given us yesterday. And, the Dean said, “I’ll have Mr. Schoonover here at one.”

As the meeting broke up, Agent Adams walked over to Dr. Joe and me, and with a smile said, “Miss Nez, just promise me that you’ll leave the 45 at home on Monday.”

“Oh, if I must.”, I said with a smile.

“You must.”

“Okay. I will.”

Dr. Joe and I headed to the office, and as we walked in, he asked me, “What’s with you, Agent Adams, and the 45?”

“Don’t you remember when I had the problem with the guy from Los Alamos poising as a spy.”, I said. “And when the FBI went after him with me as bait, and I carried a .45 pistol.”

“Oh yeah. I remember. Agent Adams doesn’t want you showing up with it on Monday.”

“No worry.”

I grabbed my briefcase, said hágoónee' - (see you later) to Dr. Joe, and headed home.

When I got home, Charlie and Jackie were already there. I ran into the house and said a quick hello to everyone, then ran to the bedroom to change. Thanks to Amy, laying out my clothes for me, fifteen minutes later, we were on the way to the resort.

Two hours later, we were pulling into the resort and up to my aunt and uncle's house. Just as I parked the car, my Uncle Paul came running out of the house, he saw us and stopped, then said, “Ajie come with me.”

“What’s wrong Uncle Paul?”, Ajie asked.

“Someone at the spa is having a heart attack, and the fire department is on the way.”

“Jackie, you're with me.”, Ajie said.

Uncle Paul, Ajie, and Jackie ran towards the spa building, and the last thing Uncle Paul said was, “Kai, you’re in charge of the barbecue.”

And without thinking, I said, “Okay, Uncle Paul.”

As Uncle Paul, Ajie, and Jackie disappeared, what Uncle Paul had said hit me. I was in charge of the barbecue! I can’t …

~o~O~o~

Dear readers, I know that I've been saying that you can log in as 'Guest Reader' to leave comments and you can. But, if you want to leave Kudos, once 'Guest Reader' has left a Kudo you can't use it again. The best way is to have your own Log In and its free. But, donations do help keep this site up. And, don't forget:

Authors like comments. And even constructive criticism. Please leave a comment. Want to comment but don't want to open an account? Anyone can log in as Guest Reader -- with a password of topshelf to leave a comment. Thanks.

up
290 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thank you, Teddie,

Your story does me more good than all my meds together ! I wonder if the boy has hang ups about Vietnam .
America lost darn near a generation in that stupidity ,no wonder the youngsters were worried but I have no
doubt that Kai will sort it out .

Thanks, Guest Reader. I don

Thanks, Guest Reader. I don't know if it's Vietnam or not. We'll have to see.

You just keep it coming.

What a legend. You're able to lead your readers on. Gasping for the next chapter. I'll just have to wait I guess. Thanks for sharing your great saga.

Robyn Adaire

Thanks, Robyn. I don't know

Thanks, Robyn. I don't know how much longer it'll keep coming. My muse took a walkabout and has just come back, I think,

"Thursday started as a typical day..."

Donna T's picture

As soon as I read this opening line, early in the story, I thought...Oh, oh... the @#%*! is gonna hit the fan! And you didn't disappoint.

I love your writing and the mini recap at the beginning of each installment is perfect for me.

Regardz,

Dee

Donna

I am pretty sure

Monique S's picture

I said this before, even muses need holidays. Mine usually resurfaces for NaNoWriMo.

So an unpopular boy has ratted on Kai? Interesting. I wonder what hole he crawled from?

I hope we don't have to keep hanging for long!
Cuddles for you and your muse, she is welcome for a swim in "my" cove, La Plage des Curés.
Monique.

Monique S

Hi, Monique.

Hi, Monique.

Yeah, these muses have a mind of their own. Mine decided to go walkabout right in the middle of the next chapter. Usually, I'm deep into the next chapter when I publish a chapter.

It shouldn't be too long before the next chapter appears, and maybe with a cliff hanger.

My muse might like La Plage des Curés. It's probably warmer there than here.

Cuddles back at you.

Teddie

It is probably time

she paid the resort back for all the freebies. I feel she will do a good job. Could the young man also be trans?

Hi, Wendy Jean.

Hi, Wendy Jean.

The young man may be trans. We shall see.

Another good chapter

Always something happening. I look forward to solving the mystery of who is pulling the strings.

----------
Jenna

Thanks, Jenna. Who is the

Thanks, Jenna. Who is the puppet master? If there is one.

Lots of action today.

I had one known interaction with FBI folk and their representative was inappropriately egocentric with me. I hope that Kai is better with them.

It really is no business of anyone not of the Dine'. I'm not sure that anyone should know. My own efforts at making contact with Native Americans have been dismal, though I do now have the opinion that I am likely not Cherokee, but Apache perhaps? It's not important. I will interact with the Great White Father at his will.

It seems that Kai is firmly supported by the Community, the University, Los Alamos, and that the FBI folk thereabouts at least have enough respect for her.

Very Good

Gwen

Thanks, Gwen.

Thanks, Gwen.

Muses are fickle things

Mine left me in 1997 and never returned. Such a shame I have great ideas but they die before my pen touches the page. I hope your muse never meets mine or they may run away together never to return. Sometimes I wonder if my muse was killed by a high school bully.

EllieJo Jayne

Kai, you're in charge of the

Kai, you're in charge of the barbecue. So much for her stress levels going down.

Trials and tribulations

Thank you for another chapter of Kai and Ajie. Someone wants to expose Kai. You have to wonder why and if he has any evidence. The FBI should throw a scare into him if necessary, but maybe Kai can work her "magic" on him. I put it in quotes because She would deny it was magic, but however she does it she can be persuasive.

Time is the longest distance to your destination.

Thanks, Siteseer. Magic it

Thanks, Siteseer. Magic it may be. But persuasive she can be.

Like Kai her writer needs the spirits' help...

I love the story and feel you continue to be inspired. Yes, how long? Can one sense an end approaching?
I feel Ajie is more help to Kai. Kai has shared about her be a Nadleeh with others. It would seem that it would be a matter of time someone would pursue it further or share the information with someone with ill intent. If it would happen in 2019 it would come out for sure.
I look forward to hearing how Kai and others deal with this.
Miss King might be the kind of reporter I would consider sharing the larger story. But even there, Kai wonders more than she is saying, that could be good, bad, indifferent.

Jessie C

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

Thanks, Jessie.

Thanks, Jessie.

I was originally was planning on ending it when they moved into the house. But the story keeps coming.

Maybe sometime soon Kai will allow a reporter to interview her about being a two spirit person. But she'll have to feel good about that reporter.

Allowing an interview...

... What comes about is totally in your prerogative. You are doing an excellent job in writing this story. And it is to you to do that to the end, however far or close that might me. It could go on and on as far as my enjoyment goes.

With great appreciation, Jessie

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

Thanks again, Jessie. I

Thanks again, Jessie. I enjoy your comments!

Muse in Hiding

Teek's picture

Sure, your muse does something that calls in the FBI and then they go into hiding. Sounds like a hippy Muse of the 60's on a college campus. Oh wait a minute, your muse is stuck in the 60's, on a college campus, and goes around with long hair like a hippy. Insists on anti-military projects. Yup, sounds like a typical Hippy Muse of the 60's. So, if your muse doesn't show up soon, go look in Canada. It may be hiding out on the other side of the boarder.

Keep Smiling, Keep Writing
Teek

I may have to send the Royal

I may have to send the Royal Canadian Mounted Police on a hunt.

Hippy? No. Maybe, like Kai, a native Muse that can look like one. But, go to Canada? No.

Mrs Cooper

smdani4mm's picture

Why do you call her Mrs Cooper and Not Dr Cooper?

SmDani4

Because that's how she was

Because that's how she was introduced to Kai and Dr. Joe. She may not have a doctoral degree. Why?

Another very well written chapter

The way that the story describes her adventures in the daily life of Kai is just delightful. I think of it favorably as a modern day Adventures of Huckleberry Finn or Little House on the Prairie. Thanks again.

That's an interesting

That's an interesting observation, Wendy K. Thanks!

Wow, udlamjo. Thank you for

Wow, udlamjo. Thank you for your wonderful comment. I wish I could write faster.

Déjà vu

Jamie Lee's picture

As with people who don't read FAQs and ask questions contained within the FAQ, someone needs to set up a site so those who want to go after Kai can read what's been tried. And avoid repeating what has failed.

Come Monday, at one o'clock, the Dean best have the janitor on standby. Because when that young man walks into the Dean's office, he just might wet his pants.

Kai still has the problem of agreeing before she knows what she agreed with. And she still doesn't think she can handle something she hasn't done before. But given the number she's attended the BBQ, she shouldn't have any trouble. Shouldn't, unless something crops up.

Others have feelings too.

Hi Jamie Lee,

Hi Jamie Lee,

I was thinking that the boy might s__t himself.

I think I could put together an FAQ on what not to try with Kai and why.

Kai does need to but her brain in gear before agreeing to things.