Tommy - The Trials and Tribulations of a Girl? - Chapter 175

Printer-friendly version



Tommy
The Trials and Tribulations of a Girl?

A Novel By Teddie S.

Copyright © 2019 Teddie S.
All Rights Reserved.

Chapter 175

More talk of a house.
We miss doing this.
The loan of Biil dresses. One of them special.


I’d talked with Kathy Benallie, who is Amy’s friend and a nursing supervisor in hospital’s Intensive Care Unit, about what I’d done or really not done with the girl, Shideezhi “Dee” Hatayhli, who had had the horseback riding accident. It wasn’t me but the Yei spirits that had used me as a conduit to her.

Then as I sat in the hospital cafeteria having something to drink and waiting for Amy’s shift to end, I was approached by one of the hospital’s doctors, a Dr. Mason. He wanted to know what I’d done with his patient. And, I told him. I told him that I prayed with her, which he didn’t believe because she was in a drug-induced coma. I disagreed with him. And, we got started talking about Amy’s seminar.

Amy was interested in what happened with Kathy and this doctor.

Then I had Amy read the letter from our financial advisor in Ohio, and that turned into talk about a house and starting a family.

Most of the rest of the week was just a typical week. But, on Friday we went to the resort with a detour to see Mr. Yazzie in Taos. He was amazed by the papers for my two grandfathers, and that we’d finally found out who the unknown silversmith was. It was my Great-Great-Great-Grandfather Tse Nez. Mr. Yazzie also loved the bracelet that Grandfather Tse had made.

At the resort, my aunt and uncle had gone to Santa Fe. So, Amy and I took a walk. Later when we talked with my aunt and uncle, we found that the resort was hosting a management team training of some kind for a company from Albuquerque.

As Ajie and I like to do when we’re here, we decided to get dressed up for Friday nights dinner. We both dressed in fancy long skirts, fancy blouses, and wrap moccasins. Ajie did her hair in a single braid and used one of the beaded hair bands. I did my hair in two braids and put fancy wraps at the ends. And, I used the fancy headband that had the feathers hanging down from it. Ajie wore a Concho belt, the choker with the two maker’s marks, a bracelet, and a couple of rings. I also wore a Concho belt, the bone choker with the Concho, a bracelet, and three rings. And, we wore the matching silver feather earrings.

As we walked back into the main part of the house, Aunt Ruth saw us first. She shook her head, and said, “Girls, I don’t know about you. But, you two make me feel under dressed.”

“Aunt Ruth.”, Ajie said. “You shouldn’t. You look very nice.”

“But, compared to the two of you. I just don’t know.”

“You know that we like to dress up when we’re here. It’s about the only place that we can.”

“I know, honey. Don’t worry about it. You two look wonderful.”

“And, I’m happy to be seen with three such pretty ladies.”, Uncle Paul said.

“Thank you, Uncle Paul.”, I said.

Just before seven we walked to the hotel, and as we walked through the lobby, I saw that Shilah was working, he’s the room clerk that had protected me that one time that I was attacked, and I said, “Yá’át’ééh alní'íní, Shilah. - (Good evening, Shilah.)”

He looked at us, and said, “Yá’át’ééh alní'íní, Kai, Ajie, Hahastiin dóó Hwe'esdzáán Biakeddy. - (Good evening, Kai, Ajie, Mr. and Mrs. Biakeddy.)”

Uncle Paul said, “Yá’át’ééh, Shila.”

I then said, “How are you, Shila?”

“I’m fine, Miss Kai. How are you?”

“I’m doing good. We’ll see you later.”

“Yes, Miss Kai.”

We continued walking to the restaurant, and when we got there, it was busy. But, the greeter took us directly to a table. And, it looked like they had an excellent buffet set up for everyone, so after we gave our waitress our drink orders, we went and got in line for the buffet.

They had both a steamship round of beef and a bone-in smoked ham shank that someone was cutting to order on the buffet as well a nice looking lasagna for the main course, and all kinds of things for sides. And there was also a beautiful dessert table.

“Uncle Paul.”, I said. “This is fancier then any buffet that I’ve ever seen here.”

“The company that’s taken over the resort for the weekend is paying for it.”, Uncle Paul said.

“We shouldn’t be here.”

“Yes, you should. You’re with us, and they always invite us to eat with them when they’re here.”

As we were standing in line, a man walked up to Uncle Paul, offered him his hand, and said, “Mr. Biakeddy, it’s nice to see you and your wife again.”

I didn’t like this guy. I didn’t know what it was, but there was just something.

As Uncle Paul shook the man’s hand, he said, “Mr. Armbruster, it’s good to see you too. Is your wife here?”

“Yes, she’s at our table.”

“Good, I’ll say hello to her later. And, thank you for having us for dinner.”

“You’re more than welcome.”

Then looking at Ajie and me, this Mr. Armbruster said, “And, who are these two lovely ladies. I’ve never seen them here before.”

“These are my nieces, Kai Nez and Ajie Nez, and they’re visiting for the weekend from Albuquerque.”

Looking at me, Mr. Armbruster asked, “We’re also from Albuquerque. What do you do there?”

“We’re both graduate students at the university.”, I replied.

“That’s wonderful. What are you studying?”

“Ajie is in nursing, and I’m in engineering.”

“Engineering? An interesting subject for a girl.”

“Yes, I’ve been told that.”

“You’re not in electrical engineering. Are you?”

“Yes, sir. I am.”

“Then you must be the girl that I’ve heard so much about.”

“Sir?”

“The one that’s developed the new course on computer design?”

“Yes, sir. I guess I did.”

“Our company is an engineering company and we specialize in electrical engineering, and I always keep my finger on what’s going on. I was surprised when I heard about you. At first, I figured that what I was hearing was wrong. But, the more I heard about you, the more I’ve wanted to meet you. And, now I have.”

I thought, ‘Just where is this going?’

“We need to talk later.”, Mr. Armbruster added.

“Maybe we can.”, I replied. And, trying to show my disinterest I started picking up my food.

Ajie was right behind me, and whispered, “Didn’t like that did you?”

“Not at all.”, I whispered back. “I feel that he has an agenda. But, what?”

When the four of us were back at our table, I looked at my Uncle Paul, and asked, “Uncle Paul, I don’t want to talk with this guy. How do I stay away from him this weekend?”

“Kai.”, Uncle Paul said. “He surprised me that he was so forward with you. I wasn’t happy with it myself.

“They’re in meetings all day tomorrow, and then relax around the resort in the evening. You will see the spouses of the employees around the resort during the day. So, use the pools during the day and stay away from the hotel and pools in the evening. Sunday is about the same except they leave right after lunch.”

“We should leave right after lunch on Sunday too. We have things to do for our classes next week.”

We understand that.”, Aunt Ruth said.

We started eating, and the food was good, as were the sangrias that Ajie and I had. Then I said, “Aunt Ruth. Uncle Paul. We may need your help with something.”

“You’re not in trouble again are you, Kai?”, Uncle Paul said.

I gave Uncle Paul a look, and said, “Uncle Paul, I’m trying to be serious.”

“Sorry. Go on.”

“Okay. If things work out with Los Alamos, Ajie and I are planning on buying a house in the Albuquerque area.”

“A house!”, my Aunt Ruth said. “Are you thinking of staying out here after you’ve finished your graduate work?”

“We both love it out here.”, Ajie said. “We both love the university atmosphere and the teaching. Kai loves the research. And, I love the hospital. So, yes we’re thinking of staying out here.”

“That’s wonderful.”

“So, what kind of house are you thinking about?”, Uncle Paul asked.

“We both love the adobe style.”, I said. “And, we’d want to be no more than a half an hour from the university. Plus, we want to be away from the city lights. Maybe with a forest or desert in the back yard, so we wouldn’t have to worry about neighbors behind us. And, a good view of the sky is a must. Maybe an enclosed courtyard out back with a fire pit.”

“That’s very doable around the northeast or northwest part of Albuquerque.”, Uncle Paul said. “How big?”

“Well, we're thinking big enough so that we could have guests stay over. Like when our parents come out. Also, with enough room for kids. Maybe four bedrooms.”

“Like your kids?”, Aunt Ruth asked.

“Yes.”

“Ajie, your not are you?”

“No, Aunt Ruth.”, Ajie replied. “Not yet. But, we don’t want to wait too much longer.”

“Do you have a price range in mind?”, Uncle Paul asked.

“Well.”, I said. “We don’t have any idea what house prices are like.”

“So, you’ll look at anything?”

“As long as it fits into what we’re looking for. Yes.”

“A price range would be helpful. Take a look at the houses listed for sale in the Albuquerque paper, and you might get an idea. Then maybe give me a price range.”

“We’ll look at the paper. But, do you remember the trust fund that my dad’s parents set up for me?”

“Sure. You used part of it to start up the scholarship.”

“Yes. Well, it’s no longer a trust fund. It’s ours, and it’s still invested. So, we can use it any way we want to.”

“What are you telling me?”

Very quietly, I said, “Let me just say this. The investments are into the six figures, and they continue to grow. Plus, my parents gave us a block of stock to use in any way we want to.”

Uncle Paul looked at me, and said, “You are kidding me?”

I just shook my head no.

“So, if these things work out with Los Alamos, how soon are you looking to do this?”, Uncle Paul asked.

“I think we’d like to be settled into a house before our parents, or Ajie’s brother and girlfriend, come out this summer. And, I’d like to get a hogan built out back like Uncle Gaagii has.”

“You have this all thought out.”, Uncle Paul said. “Don’t you?”

“Pretty much.”, I replied. “We’ve been talking about it for a little while.”

“So, what do you want from us?”

“Obviously we’ve never bought a house before. So, when we find something that we want to look at. We’d like you to go with us.”

“We can do that. Would you mind if I put some feelers out? I know some people in
the real estate business.”

“No, I don’t mind at all. Just remember that this all hinges on what happens with Los Alamos. If I can’t do that type of research, I don’t know what I’ll do.”

“I understand, Kai.”

“Now, Uncle Paul have you started with evening bonfires yet?”

“No, but they asked for one on Saturday night.”

“Want to meditate.”, Aunt Ruth asked. “Don’t you?”

“I think both Ajie and I would like to.”, I replied. “But, I don’t want to be around that Armbruster guy.”

“Well.”, Uncle Paul said. “We already have the fire laid for tomorrow night. And, we could always lay another one for tomorrow night.”

“We don’t want you to have to do that, Uncle Paul.”, Ajie said.

“Don’t worry about that. After we’re done here, I’ll grab some kerosene and matches, you and Ajie go and get ready, and then meet me at the bonfire.”

“I guess we’re almost ready.”. I said. “We’d probably only have to grab a rug. But, what do we do if this Mr. Armbruster shows up?”

“Let me worry about him.”

“But, you know that we like to visit with the guests afterward.”

“I know.”, Uncle Paul said. “Don’t worry. I’ll keep him out of your hair if he shows up.”

About a half an hour later Ajie and I were walking back towards the hotel from the house, and I had a rug over my arm. We walked up to where the bonfire was set up, and we saw my aunt and uncle, and a few guests standing around. We walked to where we usually put the rug and spread it out on the ground. Then we walked over to where my aunt and uncle were.

My uncle handed me two long matches and something to strike them on. I gave one of the matches to Ajie. We walked over to the wood pile and where the little channel with kerosene in it is. We both knelt, I struck my match, then Ajie struck her match. And, together we touched the matches to the kerosene. The kerosene fire quickly got the kindling burning. Ajie and I stood up and backed away from the fire as the larger pieces of wood started to burn. We stood there for a minute then tossed the matches into the fire.

Then we walked over to where we’d placed the rug. We sat down next to each other. I saw my aunt and uncle talking to some of the guests. I looked over at Ajie, and said, “It feels good to be doing this again.”

“It does.”, Ajie said.

We watched as the fire grew bigger. I began to feel the spirits of the fire. I closed my eyes and heard a chant in my mind. I started chanting what I was hearing. And, I heard Ajie join me in the chant. Then I listened as a third voice join us. Naainish?

We sat there and chanted until the chant faded from my mind. Then I looked at Ajie, and she looked at me and said, “This does feel good.”

“I know.”, I said. “I’ve missed doing this.”

“Did I hear Naainish?”

“I think so.”

Ajie and I got up, I picked up the rug, folded it, and hung it over my arm. Then we walked back over to where my aunt and uncle were standing. When we got there, Naainish was standing with them. And, I said, “Yá'át'ééh, Naainish. Nizhonigó íiná aadóó hozhónahasdlíí. - (Hello, Naainish. It is good, and all is harmony around us.)”

Naainish smiled and replied, “Yá'át'ééh, Kai dóó Ajie. Nizhonigó íiná aadóó hozhónahasdlíí. - (Hello, Kai and Ajie. It is good, and all is harmony around us.)”

“What brings you here tonight?”, I asked Naainish.

“You and Ajie.”, Naainish replied.

“Why?”

“Just because you’re here. And, meditating at the fire. It always makes the spirits happy that the two of you are here.”

“I feel that.”, Ajie said.”

“Yes, I do too.”, I said.

Then I looked around, and asked my uncle, “Uncle Paul, what did you do with Mr. Armbruster.”

“Nothing, Kai.”, my uncle replied. “He’s just not here.”

“Excuse me, Miss.”, I heard a woman say.

I turned and looked at her, and said, “Yes.”

“Some of us found what you and your friend did to be very interesting. What were you singing?”

“It’s an old Navajo chant called the Mountain Song, and we were meditating as we chanted.” How did I know the name of that chant?

“It was beautiful. Were you singing in Navajo?”

“Yes. Chanting.”

“Thank you very much for sharing that with us. And, we love the way you two are dressed.”

“Thank you.”

Then she said to my uncle, “Harold will be sorry that he missed this.”

“Where is Mr. Armbruster tonight?”, Uncle Paul asked her.

“Oh. He’s setting up for tomorrow. Are the girls still going to be here tomorrow night?”

“I don’t know if they will be or not.”

“I hope they are. They added so much to the bonfire tonight, and their singing is so pretty.”

After the woman that I assumed was Mrs. Armbruster walked away, I said to Uncle Paul, “We’ll be here, but not at the bonfire.”

“Not even if I ask nicely and promise to keep Mr. Armbruster away?”, Uncle Paul asked. “You know the guests love it when you meditate at the bonfire.”

I looked at Ajie, and she shrugged her shoulders. I looked back at my uncle, and said, “We’ll see?”

Then I looked at Naainish, and asked, “Naainish, why did we sing the chant that we did?”

“It was what the spirits wanted.”

“And, how did I know the name of the chant?”

“Again the spirits. They wanted you to know.”

We stayed and talked with the guests for a while, and then we walked back to the house with my aunt, uncle, and Naainish. As we walked into the house, Aunt Ruth asked, “So, what are you two kids up to tomorrow?”

“I know what I’d like to do.”, I said. “But, I’ll bet it isn’t doable right now.”

“What’s that, honey?”

“Go up to the cabin in the mountains by the fire tower and hike a trail or two.”

“You’re right, Kai.”, Uncle Paul said. “It would be tough. There’s still a lot of snow up there, and you’d need snowshoes to get anywhere. And, getting to the cabin itself wouldn’t be easy.”

“Well, then I guess we’ll take option two.”

“Option two?”

“Relax. Use the pools. Maybe go up on the cliff, sit, and look at the desert to the west.”

“Sounds good to me.”

“Me too.”, Ajie said.

Later as Ajie and I were cuddling in bed, she said, “You know, I love it when we sit at a fire like we did tonight.”

“I know.”, I replied. “I wish we could do it every night.”

“That would be nice. But, you’d be splitting a lot of wood.”

“What do you mean me? It would be, WE would be splitting a lot of wood.”

“In your dreams, lover.”, Ajie said. “In your dreams.”

“That so. I guess we won’t be having bonfires at the house.”

She smiled at me, then said, “Knowing you. … Not having a bonfire would last no more than a week.”

I shook my head, and said, “You’re right.” And, I kissed her. And, I’ll bet that you know what that led to.

For some reason, we slept in on Saturday morning. And, when we did get up, we found that both my aunt and uncle were working at the hotel. So we fixed our breakfast. And, we spent the morning just relaxing. I did find a recent issue of the Albuquerque newspaper, and we spent some time looking at the real estate ads. And, we found a few things of interest. And, I said, “You know, when we’re back to the apartment we need to dig out the street guide that we have of Albuquerque. Then find out where these houses are, layout a route, and go look at some of them.”

“That sounds like fun.”, Ajie said.

My aunt and uncle were back for lunch, and as we ate, my uncle said, “Kai, I talked with Mr. Armbruster this morning. First, he was excited by what his wife told him about what you and Ajie did last night.”

“Great.”, I said sarcastically.

“Kai. He was excited in a good way. He’s very supportive of the native people. And, I found out that he’s even heard about the Chief Todachine Scholarship and has donated to it.”

“Oh!”

“He doesn’t know anything about you and Ajie, and your relationship to the scholarship. The only thing he does know is what he learned yesterday.”

“Okay.”, I said. “So, what about the bonfire tonight?

“I told him that both of you are very private people. And, that you like to meditate at the bonfire because the guests enjoy it and it exposes them to something of the Navajo culture.

“I also told him that you don’t like people who are too forward. And, he agreed that he was a little forward with you yesterday.”

“A little.”, I said.

“I know.”, Uncle Paul said. “He promised to calm it down. But, he is very taken with you, a girl, being an electrical engineering major.”

“If he only knew the truth.”

“He doesn’t and won’t. Plus he’s excited about the university heading towards teaching computers.”

“Now, that is interesting.”

“So, if he talks to you tonight be nice to him.”

“I will. I don’t know what I ws feeling from him, but I knew that I didn’t like it. He just pushed too hard.”

“He’s that way.”

“I’ll be good as long as he doesn’t push.”

“He promised me that he wouldn’t.”

“Okay.”, I said.

“Good.”, My uncle said. “He wants us to join them for dinner again tonight.”

“Ajie and I wanted to cook southwestern for you tonight,”

“It’ll be southwestern. Mr. Armbruster spends a lot on these weekends, so he's bringing in a well know chef to cook a southwestern meal for everyone.”

I just looked at my uncle for a minute, and then said, “It must be nice.”

“Treating his people well has helped him build his business and keep good people.”

“I guess it pays.”

“It does. He has the whole resort for this weekend every year, and while the employees are attending some training, the spouses have full use of the resort’s facilities.”

I looked at Ajie, and said, “We didn’t bring any truly fancy clothes with us.”

Ajie said, “We could run over to Mrs. Benallie’s shop in Santa Fe and see what she has.”

“Girls.”, Aunt Ruth said. “I have two Biil dresses that should fit you. One is white with black and red fancy work, and the other is red with black and white fancy work.”

“We did bring all the silver with us.”

“Okay, Aunt Ruth.”, I said. “You talked us into it.”

Ajie and I spent the afternoon relaxing. Even though it was a little on the cool side, after lunch, we took a blanket with us and hiked up the cliff trail. We used the blanket to sit on the rocks and spent a little time looking out over the desert that’s west of the resort.

Then on the way back to the house we stopped and spent time soaking in one of the pools, there were several women, I guess spouses of the employees of Mr. Armbruster’s firm, also spending time in the pools. Ajie and I were even able to work in a massage .

On the way through the hotel, a few women were sitting at the tables in the lobby playing cards. As near as I could tell, they were playing bridge. And, you could smell food cooking. If it tasted as good as it smelled, dinner would be delicious.

We wandered back to the house, and my aunt and uncle were, where else, in the kitchen. Ajie said, “I’ll be right back.”

Ajie headed back to where the bedrooms are and was quickly back carrying a bag. She set it on the table, and said, “Uncle Paul, did you get those first aid kits put together?”

“Sure did, Ajie.”, Uncle Paul said.

“Where are they?”

“One is in the hotel office, one is at the bathhouse, and one’s at the maintenance building.”

“Good. Let’s go for a walk.”

“Why?”

“I want to check them, and I have some things to put in them.”

Ajie, Uncle Paul, and I made the rounds, checking on the first aid kits. Ajie was happy at what Uncle Paul had put together. Our first stop was at the hotel office, and as Ajie added what we’d brought, she told Uncle Paul that some of the things she brought were for someone that knew how to use them. Ajie had brought, stethoscopes, blood pressure cuffs, rubber gloves, and masks. She told Uncle Paul that anyone could use the masks and gloves if they thought it was necessary. And, Uncle Paul told her that he’d doubled the number of bandages that she’d suggested in the first aid kit in the maintenance building because the guys tended to get cut more than anyone else.

When we were back at the house, Aunt Ruth told us that she’d put the two Biil dressed in our bedroom. So, Ajie and I headed back to our room to get ready for dinner.

When we were in our room, we looked at the two Biil dresses, and Ajie said, “You know Kai, with your coloring you should wear the white one.”

“You’re right.”, I said. “If it fits.”

“It will.”

We both took showers, no not together or we’d never make it to dinner. I took mine first, and when I finished, I started getting ready. First I slipped into a pair of my special panties with the built in padding, then a bra with the forms. I put my hair into two braids with fancy braid holders at the top, and fancy wraps at the ends. Then I put on a pair of wrap moccasins, and then the white Biil dress. I walked over and looked in the mirror. This dress was beautiful.

Then I took the jewelry out of the floor safe. I put on a Concho belt, my Concho choker, a pair of the silver feather earrings, and one of the squash blossom necklaces.

Ajie came out of the shower, looked at me, and said, “Very nice. That Biil dress fits you like a glove.”

After Ajie had put on panties and a bra, I braided her hair into a single braid weaving the four colored leather strips into it. Then I added a fancy braid holder at the top of the braid. She then put on the wrap moccasins and the red Biil dress. I looked at her, smiled, and said, “Very nice.”

Ajie then put on the other Concho belt and the squash blossom necklace that grandma had given her after our wedding. And then she chose a pair of earrings made with beads.

We both added silver and turquoise bracelets and a couple of rings. Then we looked at headbands. Ajie picked one of the beaded ones. And, I went with the braided leather one with the feathers that hung down by my ear.

We walked down the hall and into the kitchen, Aunt Ruth and Uncle Paul were ready and waiting for us. Uncle Paul was in moccasins, white linen pants, a bright red shirt, a red head scarf, and various jewelry. And, Aunt Ruth was dressed in a fancy long skirt and a fancy blouse, wrap moccasins, a beaded choker, a Concho belt, and some other silver jewelry. She had her hair in a single braid and was wearing a fancy braided headband. They both looked good.

They looked at us, and Aunt Ruth said, “You two.”

“What, Aunt Ruth?”, I asked.

“You both look so good, and Kai you look better in that dress than I did on my wedding day.”

“What! This is your wedding dress?”

“Yes, honey.”

“I can’t wear this!”

“Honey, you can. I want you to.”

“No, Aunt Ruth.”, I said. “It’s your special dress.”

“Honey, you’re the closest to a daughter that I’ll ever have. And, I want you to wear it.”

“But, Aunt Ruth, I’m a … “

“Honey, I know. You don’t need to say it. It just looks so special on you.”

“All right, Aunt Ruth. For you, I’ll wear it. But, just this once.”

“Thank you, honey.”

“Are we ready.”, Uncle Paul asked.

The four of us left the house and walked to the hotel. As we walked in some of the guests were standing in the lobby looking at the silver display. We walked past them and into the restaurant, and again they had a buffet set up. And, we saw all kinds of southwestern food on it. There was a lot of food, but not a lot of any one thing. It was like they wanted you to try different things.

The tables had bowls of tortilla chips made with blue corn, guacamole dip, a cheesy dip, and salsa. There were chicken quesadillas, burritos smothered in cheese, poblano peppers stuffed with chili, chicken fajitas, sauteed corn made with blue corn, cheesy corn spoon bread, and much more.

Ajie and I both started to notice that we were being looked at. I guess it was the way we were dressed. But, that happens every time we dress up, so we’re somewhat used to it.

Then Mrs. Armbruster walked over to us. As she walked up, she said, “Girls, those dresses are so pretty, and the jewelry is amazing.”

“Thank you, Mrs. Armbruster.”, I said.

“Are these dresses special?”

“They’re called Biil dresses, and they’re made from hand spun wool that is then woven into the dress. And, they are what we call fancy dress.”

“Where could I get one?”

“You can’t. The weavers that make them will only sell them to someone who is a Navajo.”

“They’re that special?”

“Yes. There’s a lot of work that goes into one. And, this one is a wedding dress.”

“Yours, my dear?”

“No, it’s my Aunt Ruth’s dress. She loaned it to me for tonight.”

“The jewelry. Is that special too?”

“Yes, especially when it’s your grandfathers that made most of it.”

“That’s wonderful. Is the display in the lobby also your grandfather’s work.”

“Yes, it’s some of his tools and a few pieces of his work.”

Just then Mr. Armbruster got up in front of everyone, and said, “Everyone. Everyone. Could I have your attention? The food is ready. Please help yourself.”

We let most of the guests go first, then we got in line, and I was surprised that there was plenty of food left when we got to the table. I decided to try a little bit of a number of the dishes, and I saw Ajie do the same thing.

After we’d been sitting and enjoying the meal for a while, Mr. Armbruster walked over. I wasn’t sure if I was happy to see him or not. But, he was pleasant asking us if we enjoyed the meal.

Then he said, “I understand that I missed something interesting at the bonfire last night. I hear that you and your cousin meditated and chanted, and then visited with my employees that were there.”

“Yes.”, I said. “It’s something we like to do when we’re here. Meditate at the bonfire. The spirits are strong in the area of the fire pit and the pools. And if the guests of the resort are interested we’re happy to talk with them.”

“Could I introduce the two of you to my employees. They would be interested in you.”

“Mr. Armbruster.”, Ajie said. “Everyone here has been very nice to us. And, we appreciate being invited to have dinner with you.

“But, Kai and I are private people. And, we are a little reluctant to do something like that.”

“Are you going to be meditating at the bonfire tonight? That is something that I’d like to witness.”

“Yes, we are Mr. Armbruster.”

“Would you mind if I told everyone that you’re doing that?”

“No, sir.”, I said. “That would be fine.”

“Mr. Armbruster.”, Uncle Paul said. “I’d like you to tell your people that what the girls go is a spiritual thing to the Navajo people. And, we ask that they treat the area of the bonfire as a quiet area while they’re meditating. Also, we ask that they give the girls space. And, I assume that the girls will be happy to talk with everyone when they’re finished.”

Mr. Armbruster excused himself and walked to the front of the room. He then got everyone's attention, then said, “I know some of you witnessed something interesting and special last night. And, those of you that did are one up on me. But, I'll make up for that tonight as I want to see this.

“And, those of you who didn’t witness our two guests, Miss Kai Nez and Miss Ajie Nez, meditate last night will have a chance to see it tonight at the bonfire. My wife has told me that it was a wonderful experience, and she felt very calm afterward.

“Our host, Mr. Biakeddy, has asked me to tell you that if you do attend the bonfire that when the girls are meditating, that it's a spiritual thing for the Navajo people. And, they ask that you treat the area as a quiet area during that time.” And, he went on telling everyone the rest of what Uncle Paul had said.

The last thing that Mr. Armbruster said was, “I've been told that the bonfire will begin at nine o’clock. Is that correct Mr. Biakeddy?”

My uncle replied, “Yes, sir, at nine o’clock.

“Good. I hope that I’ll see all of you there.”

I looked at Ajie, and said, “Mrs. Armbruster felt calm after last night?”

“Maybe we have a relaxing effect on some people.”, Ajie replied.

Aunt Ruth said, “You do. It doesn’t matter if you chant or talk with people you have a way about you that makes people feel relaxed. At ease.”

“Even Ajie?”, I asked.

“Yes, even Ajie does that.”

“What if I’m upset with them?”

“Well, that’s different, Kai. If you’re upset with them, they know it. I always remember back to the meeting with the university’s Board of Regents, and how strong you were and how you made the Board feel.”

I just sat there and nodded yes.

About eight-thirty Ajie and I left the restaurant and headed to the house. We needed a rug for the bonfire. As we walked into our room, the Eagle feather headdresses caught my eye. Ajie saw me looking at them, and said, “Think we should wear them?”

I thought for a couple of seconds, then said, “Yes.”

We both removed our headbands and replaced them with the Eagle feather headdresses.

I picked up a rug, and we headed towards to area of the bonfire.

~o~O~o~

Dear readers, I know that I've been saying that you can log in as 'Guest Reader' to leave comments and you can. But, if you want to leave Kudos, once 'Guest Reader' has left a Kudo you can't use it again. The best way is to have your own Log In and its free. But, donations do help keep this site up. And, don't forget:

Authors like comments. And even constructive criticism. Please leave a comment. Want to comment but don't want to open an account? Anyone can log in as Guest Reader -- with a password of topshelf to leave a comment. Thanks.

up
311 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Trials and tribulations

I hope nothing serious happens with Mr Armbruster. It sounds like he could be a good contact in the area for the future. If they buy a house and start a family they could attract a lot of the wrong comments so the closer to their people the better. A baby appearing in the house of two apparently single young women would require a really good explanation at that time. I'm sure everything will be handled in a splendid manner. I can't wait to see what happens next.

Time is the longest distance to your destination.

Thanks, Siteseer. Yes, two

Thanks, Siteseer. Yes, two single girls with a baby could be a problem. Mr. Armbruster, we'll just have to keep an eye on him.

Mr. Armvrester,

I suspect he is some kind of scam artist, nut only the writer knows for sure, at the moment.

Wendy Jean, do you really

Wendy Jean, do you really think that I'd put a scam artist in my story?

Yes

Yes, I do. ;)

I just love it,

Monique S's picture

when the two dress up!

I guess Mr.Armbruster would like to hire Kai once she's finished her graduate classes, but I am sure that he'll have to be content with being able to send some of his employees to Kai's courses perhaps?

Anyway, Mrs. Armbruster seems hooked on the Navajo culture as represented by our two girls.
Special cuddles for the nice chapter,
Monique.

Monique S

Thanks, Monique. We'll see

Thanks, Monique. We'll see what happens with the Armbrusters.

Cuddles back at ya.

Since my wife is Navajo/Apache...

I find it easy to lose myself in these stories. Though my wife is only half Navajo and is half Apache, though what specific tribe I do not know, she looks pure Navajo. She is so beautiful even at 64 y.o.a. She said after I got her to read a particular chapter that you write like she would expect a wise person from the tribe to write. She is a great admirer of your story, as am I. You write beautifully and obviously know a great deal about Native American customs. Whether that is by blood, marriage, or research I do not know, but you write amazingly well. Thank you for the story of a special two spirit person of the Nation. Though my younger daughter refuses to call herself Navajo and insists on only answering to Dine, she is just that way. God bless you. Long may the story of Kai and Ajie go on. It is a wonderful way to loose myself from the stresses and cares of modern life. God bless. ^_^ T.

I am a Proud mostly Native American woman. I am bi-polar. I am married, and mother to three boys. I hope we can be friends.

Thank you very much for your

Thank you very much for your kind comments, captwbstr. It must be interesting being married to a woman like that. Your daughter is reverting to the old ways in calling herself Diné or The People. The name Navajo came into use in the mid-1600s when the Spanish started using the term Navajo.

All of my knowledge of the Navajo people comes through research and some information for some of my readers.

Mr Armbruster

My5InchFMHeels's picture

Now that he knows how his actions can affect someone, he might be a good person for Kai to know, since hes in the same field. Networking can help a lot in many occupations

Living near the Dine' ?

Rarely does a tale move me to do such detailed research as this one. I was profoundly sickened to find out that the death toll of the Native Americans vastly exceeded the number who died in the Jewish Holocaust. And, even today, the people inadvertently participate in their own genocide through the smog products of coal mining and power generation, and the environmental disaster of Uranium mining in the four corners area. It has made much of the aquifer too radioactive for use. Everyone needs to help them.

As to Kai and his wife buying a house, perhaps they could be more safe living close to the Dine'? There is a sort of parallel between living as a Nadeeli, and living as someone who is different in non Native American urban culture. We must always be mindful of who is around us.

I'm interested to see how the Los Alamos connection will play out. Sandia Labs was formed in 1949 but I do not know when they came to New Mexico, nor do I know precisely what they do? It is partly owned by Honeywell. I've had contact with them when I was working and felt that they were quite taken by themselves. I get the impression that Los Alamos is about Nuclear power, and Sandia does everything else.

I wrote up a brief synopsis of the role of the Navajo Two Spirit and gave it to my 36 year old Daughter. After 15 years, she has come back into my life and says that she completely accepts me. I know that I can not be adopted into the Navajo Dine' but I believe their interpretation of the two spirit is more correct than any explanation that I have encountered.

Thank you so much for a thought provoking chapter.

Gwen

I'm glad to hear that your

I'm glad to hear that your daughter has accepted you.

With a quick look, I found:

That currently, Sandia is "The Sandia National Laboratories, managed and operated by the National Technology and Engineering Solutions of Sandia, is one of three National Nuclear Security Administration research and development laboratories." And, that the National Technology and Engineering Solutions of Sandia LLC is a "wholly owned subsidiary of Honeywell International, Inc." And, "Their primary mission is to develop, engineer, and test the non-nuclear components of nuclear weapons. "

With the LANL currently there mission is: "Los Alamos National Laboratory's mission is to solve national security challenges through scientific excellence."

Navajo Code Talker who fought in WWII dies at 97

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/13/us/navajo-code-talker-death/i...

"Fleming Begaye Sr., a member of the top-secret Navajo Code Talker program that developed an unbreakable code language during World War II, has died, according to Navajo Nation President Jonathan Nez
...
But the Navajo language is particularly tricky for non-Navajo people, and it is not written.
...
The program wasn't declassified by the military until 1968, and it would take several more decades before the story received wider recognition. In 2001, President George W. Bush presented the 29 original Navajo Code Talkers with the Congressional Gold Medal."

The code talkers kept their secrecy commitment and only told family vague stories of their role. Kai and friends would never know if any of those they meet were code talkers...

Yes, I saw that about the

Yes, I saw that about the death of Fleming Begaye Sr. May the Great Spirit guide his spirit. Navajo Death Rituals.

Yes, the Dine or Navajo language is an unwritten language that's why it's so hard to learn, but Kai and Ajie had Kai's mother to teach them. And, she was a good and strict teacher.

The Navajo Code Talkers weren't declassified Aug. 16, 1968. And, if you've noticed the storyline is currently in February of 1968, that's why the Code Talkers haven't been mentioned. Any bets on who of our characters were Code Talkers?

Something fishy or just interest?

Jamie Lee's picture

They had talked about getting a place where the sky could be sparkling at night, but not far from the University.

What they want is common for many who live in relatively low populated areas, traveling from home to work several miles apart. And at that time period, the price they want to pay is probable about the normal asking price.

Ajie is now thinking about them starting a family, but neither have thought about their privacy being upended with the birth of a child. With Amy's pregnancy, Tom would have to declare himself as the father on the birth certificate. Once Tom was revealed questions would start coming in about Kai, why Tom needed to be Kai, is Tom straight, Gay or what. His being Kai would be out and would affect how she's seen in her classes, with all who know her, even LA. Life as Kai might be over in the outside world if Amy becomes pregnant, as might the University and LA.

Kai has seldom be wrong when she relies on her feelings about a person--her past experiences have proven how right she's been. So when she got a bad feeling about Mr. Armbruster, it's a feeling that should not be easily dismissed.

Mr. Armbruster is too interested in Kai, too gunhoo towards the girls. At the Southwest dinner, his announcement about Kai and Ajie sounded like he was announcing a novelty act, or something. He didn't have to specifically tell about Kai and Ajie and the bonfire, he could have mentioned the bonfire if considered a spiritual time and to respect that.

Is he up to something or is this just who he really is? If he's trying to pull something with Kai, he's going to find out he's playing with the wrong person.

Others have feelings too.