Tommy - The Trials and Tribulations of a Girl? - Chapter 151

Printer-friendly version



Tommy
The Trials and Tribulations of a Girl?

A Novel By Teddie S.

Copyright © 2019 Teddie S.
All Rights Reserved.

Chapter 151
The visitors. Who would do that? Bowling again.

Dean Rutherford, Dr. Joe, and I had a nice lunch meeting. I learned that the Dean had been talking with the people at the Los Alamos National Laboratory. And they were concerned with what had happened between me and their Mr. Bellamy, who had begun a background check on me before I approved such a thing. I also found out that the people from the Laboratory wanted to have a meeting with the three of us.

Amy suggested that I go to the meeting in fancy dress, not a Biil dress, but a long skirt, fancy blouse, wrap moccasins, a little jewelry. And, that’s what I did. The three men from Los Alamos were, Dr. Millman, an assistant director of the Laboratory, Dr. Höllmann, the head of research, and Dr. Fontheim, who is the liaison between the university and the Laboratory and is also a researcher.

During lunch, Dr. Millman offered me an apology from the Laboratory, which I accepted. And we had a nice talk about me and why Mr. Bellamy couldn’t find out anything at Ohio State on a Kai Nez. I came up with a good, believable, story on why they couldn’t find me in the records of Ohio State. And, it wasn’t exactly true.

They again came up with the offer of a job. And, again I turned it down.

Then Dr. Fontheim gave us a write up on a new project that they wanted us to work on. After reading the write-up, both Dr. Joe and I thought it would be an interesting project and that we were willing to tackle it.

Then Dr. Fontheim personally apologized to me.

There was only a little over a week left in the fall quarter, and then it would be finals week. And, winter quarter wouldn’t start until after the first of the year. I’d looked over the final exams that my old nemesis Dr. Kilmer had used when he’d taught the courses that I was now teaching, and it was a good exam. But not great. I changed a couple of the questions a bit, added a couple of new questions, and had the Dean’s secretary, Sara, type up the new finals. Then after I’d proofread them, she was going to make the copies that I needed.

Friday, on the way to class I stopped by the Dean’s office before my nine o’clock class to pick up the copies of my finals and put them in my briefcase. As I was talking to Sara, the Dean walked in. He looked at me, and said, “Good morning, Miss Nez.”

“Good morning, Dean Rutherford.”, I replied.

“Miss Nez. I’m glad I caught you.”

“Oh.”

“Yes, there’s a young man here with his father. He’s a senior in high school, and they’re visiting college campuses. They’re here today giving us a look, and I’ d like to have them sit in on your ten o’clock class. If you don’t mind?”

How could I say no, so I said, “That would be fine, sir. Is the boy interested in electronics?”

“Yes, his father is one of our graduates, and the boy is interested in pursuing electronics. I had dinner with them last night, and you came up in the conversation, and they were interested in your teaching methods.”

“My teaching methods. How did that come up?”

The father is a high school science and physics teacher, and you happened to come up in the conversation.”

“Oh, I see. How did that happen?”

“I may have mentioned we had a woman teaching in the electric engineering program.”

I gave the Dean a raised eyebrow look, and said, “Well then I guess I’ll see you at ten.”

“Yes, we’ll try and be there just as your nine o’clock class ends. So that I can introduce you.”

“That sounds good, sir. I’ve got to run, or I’m going to be late for that nine o’clock class.”

“I’ll see you at ten.”

As I walked out of the office, I said, “See you at ten.” But, I was thinking, ‘Why me.’

I all but ran to my classroom, and I just beat the bell.

As I was putting my briefcase on the desk, the bell rang, I looked up at my class, and it looked like everyone was here. So, I said, “Good morning gentlemen. As you know, the week after next is finals week.”

And, as I expected there were moans from the class.

I continued with, “And, yes there will be a final. So, plan on being here on the scheduled day at the scheduled time. And, plan on being here the whole time.”

And, that brought another moan.

Then I taught my lesson and dismissed them a couple of minutes before the bell. Right after the last student left, Dean Rutherford, a man, and a young man walked into my classroom. The three of them walked down to where I was sitting at my desk. Dean Rutherford said, “Miss Nez, this is Mr. Waltermire and his son David. Gentlemen, this is Miss Kai Nez.”

“It’s a pleasure to met you, Miss Nez.”, Mr. Waltermire said. “We’ve heard a lot about you.”

“Thank you, sir.” Then I looked at the young man, David Waltermire, and said, “Mr. Waltermire, I hear that you’re interested in electrical engineering?”

“Yes, I am.”, he replied. “My dad want’s me to go here because he did. And we’d heard that a girl was teaching here and we wanted to meet her.”

“Well, you’ve done that.”

“Miss Nez.”, Mr. Waltermire said. “We’ve also heard that you have an interesting teaching method.”

“I do?”

“That’s what we were told.”, Mr. Waltermire said as he looked at Dean Rutherford.

I looked at the Dean, and said, “Sir, are you telling tales out of school?”

“No, Miss Nez.”, the Dean said. “The times that I’ve witnessed you teach, you’ve kept my attention, and I’m a mechanical engineer by training. The electrical end of engineering never interested me until I met you.”

“I find it very strange that a woman is teaching such a technical subject.”, Mr. Waltermire said.

“Why is that sir?”, I asked.

“It’s just something that I’ve never seen done before.”

“There’s a first time for everything sir.”

“Yes, I know. You’re also a native. Aren’t you?”

“Yes, sir. I’m a member of the Navajo Nation. Is that a problem?”

“No, Miss Nez. I knew some Navajo people while I was going to school here.”

“Gentlemen.”, Dean Rutherford said. “Also realize that Miss Nez’s research has impressed people at the Los Alamos National Laboratory. And, we’ve given her a research fellowship.”

“Miss Nez, if you don’t mind me asking, where did you graduate from?”, Mr. Waltermire asked.

I was beginning to get the feeling that I was getting the second degree, but I answered him with, “Ohio State. Cum Laude in Electrical Engineering with a minor in computers.”

“That’s an excellent school.”

“Yes, sir it is.”

“Do you think that computers are here to stay?”

“Yes, sir. And, I’d suggest that your son consider computers as part of his studies.”

“See dad.”, the younger Waltermire said. “I told you that computers would be a good thing to study.”

The students for my next class started coming in and taking their seats. So, I said, “Gentlemen, if you’d care to take seats in the back of the room, and then if you like we can talk more after class.”

“Thank you, Miss Nez.”, Dean Rutherford said.

As the Dean and the other two started to walk away, I heard Mr. Waltermire almost whisper to the Dean, “I can’t believe how pretty she is.”

The three of them walked to the back of the room and took seats. I started teaching my class by reminding them of the finals week. And, that brought moans. Then I taught my lesson, and that went smoothly. As I dismissed the class, I started picking up my things, and I noticed Mr. Waltermire and his son talking to a couple of my students. Hmm.

I picked up my briefcase and purse and started walking up the steps towards the door. As I reached the three men, the Dean said, “Miss Nez, you still hold my attention when you teach.”

I just smiled.

Then, Mr. Waltermire said, “Yes, Miss Nez, you held everyone's attention. I teach physics, so I know something about electronics, but you held my attention like I was learning it for the first time and I wanted to learn it. How do you do this?”

“Sir.”, I said. “I don’t know. It’s just something that I’m able to do.”

“I was able to ask a couple of your students what they thought of you as an instructor.”

“Yes, sir. I noticed.”

“And, they surprised me.”, Mr. Waltermire said.

“Oh?”

“One of them said that they wished that all of their instructors were like you. That there was something about you that made him want to learn. Another one said that you knew your material better than what was in the book. And, they both said that after the first day they had no problems with you being a woman and teaching a technical course like this.”

“I could see why they liked you.”, David, the younger Waltermire, said. “Even though you were teaching over my head, you held my attention. And, the way you presented everything just made it interesting.

“Are you going to be here next year?”

“Right now.”, I said. “I only know that I’ll be here through the end of this academic year.”

“I sure hope you are.”

I smiled.

And, the Dean said, “We also hope that she’ll be here next year.”

Then I was invited to go to lunch with them, and Mr. Waltermire said, “There was one place where we used to hang out. I wonder if it’s still here?”

“What was that?”, I asked.

“Nunzio's Pizza.”

I grinned, as I said, “It’s a landmark, and it’s one of my favorite places too.”

Before going to Nunzio's, we walked past Dr. Joe’s office so that I could drop off my briefcase and see if he wanted to go. I knocked, and there was no answer. I figured that Dr. Joe wasn’t there, so I used my key to open the door and put my briefcase inside. And, I made sure that I locked the door when we left, and then we headed to Nunzio's.

As usual, there was a line at Nunzio’s. A short line. But, a line. The four of us talked while we waited, and we only waited for about ten minutes before being shown to a booth. We ordered and chatted while we waited.

I noticed Mr. Waltermire looking at me in a puzzled way, so I asked, “Mr. Waltermire, is something wrong?”

“No.”, Mr. Waltermire replied. “But, I just noticed that your eyes are blue.”

I smiled, as I said, “Yes, they are. It’s a recessive gene thing. My dad is white, my mother is Navajo, and some of my mother’s ancestors are white.”

“They’re very striking.”

“Miss Nez, can I ask you something?”, David Waltermire asked.

“Of course.”, I replied.

“Why did you come out here from Ohio?”

“My cousin was offered a full ride scholarship to come here to do her masters work in nursing. And, she talked me into coming with her. And, I’m glad that I did. I feel closer to my ancestors and people, the Navajo people, when I’m here. And, I’ve learned so much about them and myself. I also love this university, the people who are here, and I now want to do my research here and teach here. And, the area is great. Good hiking and good skiing.”

We had a nice lunch, the Dean paid, and then we headed back to the university. The others went one way, and I headed to Dr. Joe’s office to pick up my briefcase. I knocked, and heard, “Come.”

As I opened the door, Dr. Joe was sitting at his desk, he looked at me, and asked, “Kai, were you in my office earlier?”

“Yes.”, I replied. “I dropped off my briefcase before I went to lunch.”

“Did you lock the door?”

“Of course.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes. What’s wrong?”

“When I got back the door was unlocked. And, I knew that I’d locked it.”

“I know. You always lock it. Is anything missing?”

“Not that I can see.”

I glanced over to where I’d left my briefcase, and it had been moved. I looked back at Dr. Joe, and asked, “Dr. Joe, did you move my briefcase?”

“No. Why?”

I pointed, and said, “It’s been moved. It’s not where I left it.”

“Is there anything important in it?”

“No. Nothing but my class books, class notes, grade book, and my final exams.”

As Dr. Joe said, “Final exams?” He gave me a questioning look.

“Yes. … No. … You don’t think?”

“It’s happened before. Students stealing exams. I’m calling the University Police.”

Two police officers showed up, and we went through the whole story, what there was of it, for them. Then a third officer, in plain clothes, showed up and we had to go through the whole story again for him. Plus he looked around the office.

Then the plainclothes officer asked, “How many keys are there to this office?”

“Three. Maybe four that I know of.”, Dr. Joe replied.

“Who has them?”

“Myself, Miss Nez, the Dean, and possibly maintenance.”

“And, you need a key to lock and unlock the door?”

“Yes, it’s a deadbolt lock.”

“It looks like someone may have picked the lock. Found what they were looking for and left. And, weren’t able to re-lock the door. But, what were they looking for?”

“Maybe the final exams that I have in my briefcase.”, I said.

“Are any of then missing?”

“I haven’t looked.”

“Let’s have a look.”

I walked over picked up my briefcase, set it on Dr. Joe’s desk, and opened it. It looked like everything was there, my books, my notes, my grade book, and the exams. So, I said, “It looks like everything is here.”

“How many copies of the exams did you have?”, the officer asked.

“I have sixty-seven students in two sections of one class, and fifty-six in the two sections of the other class. So, I had seventy-five made of the one and sixty-five of the other. Do you think we should count them?”

“Yes.”

So I counted one set of exams, and Dr. Joe counted the other. When I finished, I said, “It looks like one is missing. I counted seventy-four of the exam for Electronic Circuits and Systems.”

“I counted sixty-five in the other one.”, Dr. Joe said.

“So, it looks like they were after the test for the Electronic Circuits and Systems class.”, the officer said.

“Yes, it does. I guess I’ll be working all weekend coming up with another exam.”, I said.

“I don’t want either of you saying anything to anyone about this. They may make copies and try to sell them.”

“Sell them?”

“Yes, trying to make some money.”

“Don’t they realize that if they get caught that they’ll be kicked out of school and worse?”

“They’re not thinking. Just thinking of a quick way to make a buck.”

I just shook my head.

Then he asked, “Is there anyone close to flunking the class?”

“No.”, I replied. “Everyone is pulling a C or better.”

“Well, that’s not the answer.” Then as he turned to leave, he said, “Remember, I don’t want either of you talking to anyone about this. And, I’ll be in touch, Dr. Oshie.”

After he left, I looked at Dr. Joe and said, “I don’t believe this.”

“I don’t either.”, Dr. Joe said. “I’m going to talk to the Dean about putting a high-security lock on the door.”

“Why?”

“With some of the paperwork that we’ll have with the new project from Los Alamos we need to keep it secure.”

“Why not get a safe?”

“I may get that too.”

I packed everything back into my briefcase, and as I was leaving, I turned, looked at Dr. Joe, and said, “I may have an idea.”

“Uh oh.”, Dr. Joe said. “That worries me.”

“Dr. Joe, it shouldn’t, all my ideas have been good ones.”

And, I left before he could come up with a reply. I was hoping to find a place to sit outside to think, but there was a strong north wind blowing, and it was cold north wind. I decided to go to the apartment and talk with Amy.

It was quiet as I walked into the apartment, so I called out, “Amy.”

No answer. So, again I called, “Amy.”

Still no answer. Then I saw a piece of paper on the table. I walked over, picked it up, and read it. It was a note from Amy, and they’d called and asked her to come in as they were short-handed. And, Amy being Nurse Amy answered the call.

I poured a glass of wine and sat on the couch with my grade book. I started looking at each name in both sections of my Electronic Circuits and Systems class trying to think of who, if anyone, could or would do this. And, I couldn’t come up with anyone. Everyone was pulling at least a C in this class. Sure if they flunked the final, they’d fail the course, as it was fifty percent of their final grade. But, I didn’t see anyone flunking the exam. I felt that the test was hard but fair. There might be some C’s, but no D’s or F’s.

I fixed myself a light dinner, then sat and read. But, my mind kept going back to the theft of the exam. Who did this and why did they do it?

Just before ten-thirty the phone rang, I answered it, and it was Amy. She told me that the ER was swamped, and she was going to work over. I told her to call me when she was ready to come home, and I’d come and get her. She said she would.

I put on some music, curled up on the couch, pulled the blanket over me, and waited for the phone to ring. And, of course, I fell asleep.

The next thing I knew, someone was kissing my cheek. It startled me awake. I looked, and it was Amy. And, she said, “Sorry love. I didn’t mean to startle you.”

“Wha … Wha … What time is it?”, I asked.

“A little before three.”

“In the morning?”

“Uh huh.”

“I thought you were going to call me?”

“I was. But, one of the campus policemen volunteered to take those of us who walk to work home.”

“That was nice.”

“It was. I need a shower, then some sleep.”

“Were you busy?”

“Busy? It was downright crazy. We had people on gurneys in the hallways.”

“That is crazy.”

As we walked upstairs, Amy asked, “How was your day?”

“Almost as crazy as yours.”, I replied.

“So tell.”

“In the morning. Get your shower and let’s get some sleep.”

Saturday morning, well maybe Saturday Noon, while we were up and eating brunch I filled Amy in on what had happened yesterday. When I got to the part about someone breaking into Dr. Joe’s office and stealing a copy of one of my exams, she stopped eating and just stared at me. When I finished, Amy said, “You have got to be kidding me!”

“I wish I was.”, I said. “One thing I’m going to do on Monday morning is checking with the Dean’s secretary to be sure she gave me the number of copies that I asked for.”

“Then what.”

“I’m going to talk with Dr. Joe before I do this. But, I’m going to confront the class and tell them what happened, and see if I can feel anyone react to it.”

“Think you can do that?”

“Maybe. If they feel strongly enough about doing it.”

“Then what?”

“I’m not one-hundred percent sure. But, maybe confront them, and see what happens.”

“What if there’s more than one student involved in this.”

“I don’t know. That may make it harder to figure out who did it.”

“What can I do.”

“Just what you’re doing. Be there for me.”

“Lover, you know I will.”

“One thing. Don’t say anything to anyone about this.”

“No problem. My lips are sealed.”

With a grin, I said, “I hope not too sealed.”

“Only as far as the theft is concerned.”

“Good, those lips are too sweet to keep locked up.”

Just then there was a knock on the door. Amy smiled, and said, “Later lover. Go answer the door.”

I walked to the door, opened it, and there stood Charlie and Jackie. And, I invited them in, with a, “Hi guys. Come on in.”

Charlie and Jackie walked in, and Jackie said, “Hi Kai. Is Amy here?”

“Yes, we just finished brunch.”

“Brunch?”, Charlie asked.

“Yeah. Amy worked until three this morning, and we haven’t been up long. So, we just combined breakfast and lunch.”

“Three!?”, Jackie said.

“Yeah.”, Amy said, “It was Friday night, they were short-handed, and it was crazy. And, I was only supposed to work until eleven.”

“We were wondering if you two wanted to do something this weekend?”, Charlie asked.

“I know what I’d like to do, but I also know what I need to do.”, I replied.

“What’s that?”

“I would like to have some fun today. But, I need to redo the final exam for my Electronic Circuits and Systems class.”

“Redo the exam. What’s wrong with the one you have?”

I couldn’t tell them the truth, so I said, “I took part of it from the instructor who taught the class before I did. At first, it looked good, then I went over it yesterday, and it just wasn’t right. So, I need to redo it this weekend, so it can be typed up and copies made before exam week. But, what did you have in mind?”

“We talked about going to a movie, then out to dinner. But, there’s nothing good at the shows right now. Then Jackie came up with the idea of going bowling. We haven’t done that since we came out here.”

“That’s funny. We haven’t gone bowling since we’ve been out here either.”

“Were you in a league?”

“No, we just bowled with friends for the fun of it.”

“So did we.

“What the heck.”, I said. “I need to relax. I can work on the exam tomorrow. Let’s go bowling. But, I'll warn you, we aren’t the best bowlers.”

“Neither are we.”, Jackie said.

The four of us drove over to a bowling alley that we’d seen, and spend a couple of hours bowling three games. I won one game, and Charlie won two. Our scores weren’t high. But, the important thing was we had fun and relaxed.

For dinner, after bowling, it had to be pizza, so it was off to Nunzio's Pizza. As we sat eating and talking, I eventually asked, “Charlie, you don’t have anything in your garage. Do you?”

“No.”, Charlie replied. “Why?”

“I’m thinking of bringing our other car out here. And I’m looking for a place to keep it.”

“He misses his baby.”, Amy said.

“His baby?”, Charlie asked.

“When I was a senior in high school I bought a ‘57 Chevy.”, I said. “And, if we’re staying out here, I’d like to have it so that I can drive it.”

“I don’t blame you. What Chevy is it?”

“It a red and white Bel Air ragtop with a 283-cubic-inch fuel-injected V8 engine. And runs it 270 horsepower thru a four-speed manual transmission.”

“Oh, cool!”, Charlie said. “This I’ve got to see. When are you going to bring it out?”

“I was thinking of doing it over break, but it’s never been on the road in the winter.”, I replied. “So, I may do it between winter and spring quarters. But, I’m not sure.”

“I wouldn’t take a car like that out in the winter either. Why not wait until after spring quarter?”

“That’s a thought. But, you’ll be moving up to the resort for the summer.”

“That’s true. But, as long as we’re in the apartment, the garage is yours to use.”

“Thank you. By the way, when are you two heading home for Christmas?”

“Right after finals. Maybe on Saturday or Sunday. How about you?”

“I think we’ll go up and see my aunt and uncle for a few days, then head home. Do you guys need a lift to the airport?”, I replied.

“That would be great.”, Charlie said.

Sunday turned out to be a work day. I rewrote the final exam for my Electronic Circuits and Systems class. So, that I could have it typed up and copies made before finals week. Plus I had to draw up a couple of circuit diagrams for the exam after it was typed and before it was copied.

I had the exam redone by early afternoon, then Amy and I went grocery shopping. And, we spent the evening relaxing.

That night the King was also gone from the castle. So, the Queen and the Prince had another tryst. What a way to get your mind off of things.

~o~O~o~

Dear readers, Remember authors like comments. And even constructive criticism. Please leave a comment. Want to comment but don't want to open an account? Anyone can log in as Guest Reader -- with a password of topshelf to leave a comment. Thanks.

up
308 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Many elements, red herrings and forks in the road...

Donna T's picture

And now a stolen exam! You must have a foot locker full of cliff hangers. No rest for the thinky part of my brain. (Pace yourself and stay well... ) XOXO

Dee

Donna

Why are they doing every thing by hand?

They had copying machines back then along with mimeograph machines, I remember loving the smell of the blue ink they used. As always, still loving the story. Feeling Better?

They're doing copying. Kai,

They're doing copying. Kai, since she doesn't have a typewriter (yes I have one) writes things by hand, takes them to the Dean's secretary who types them up, and makes the necessary copies for Kai.

And, yes I remember those smells. Actually had a mimeo machine at the house doing newsletters for a club.

Good thing I'm not wearing acrylics...

these cliffhangers are murder on my nails. Thanks for another great chapter Teddie

EllieJo Jayne

This is only a little one,

This is only a little one, EllieJo Jayne. You're only 4' off the ground hanging on a branch. Thanks for the comment.

Wonderful Teddie,

' but cliffhanger ,no! Just the glorious uncertainty of what you will write in your next chapter !! As usual and so enjoyable .

Maybe Kai can set a trap

If she writes the new test close to the old test, minor variations to make the original answers plausible but wrong. She would be able to identify the thief, or at least who purchased the stolen test.

That's a fairly standard

That's a fairly standard trick, What-not. Anticopying measures have now evolved to the point where the prof sets more than one exam for the class to write. Multiple choice questions are done on a computer with questions and answers randomised. The software records which students get which questions; the software also does the marking.

There's still a lot of cheating going on that isn't easily proveable. The profs are generally aware, they generally have no tolerance or mercy for it, but can't meet the standard of proof required for an infraction to stick.

That would be one way, What

That would be one way, What-not. But, we know Kai has her own ways. Doesn't she.

To Catch a Thief

Teek's picture

Confronting the class, I am not sure about that. I also am not sure the police officer would want her to do that. I suspect they would much prefer catching them selling copies. As for Kai's idea, it could cause other problems, and may lead to the thief never being caught. Of course, then Teddie would be hung up or tar and feathered by her readers, soooooooo, she would never do that to us. I am sure she has a great conclusion to this issue already written up, just waiting to be edited before she posts it.

Another great chapter Teddie. Thanks. I am not quite sure what the purpose of the visit from the prospective student has on the story yet, but I am sure in time we will find out. Or, it is just a day to day thing a professor has to deal with, which Teddie decided to put in to make Kai appear more and more like she is a professor at the University dealing with the same stuff any other professor has to deal with from deans.

Keep Smiling, Keep Writing
Teek

Hi, Teek. Yes, Kai does have

Hi, Teek. Yes, Kai does have to put up with the political BS that it takes to run a university. And, catching a thief can happen in many ways.

The Teddie strikes again!

Monique S's picture

Oh all these twists and turns! First an idiot from Lost All (brain cells) Or Most and now a thief at the Uni? Dear oh dear!

Lots of hugs and cuddles,
Monique.

Monique S

Monique, you know what they

Monique, you know what they say. The Great Spirit abhors a straight line. I live close to a river that the Native Americans called the Crooked River. So, twists and turns are inbred in me.

There is always the

There is always the possibility that the test thief doesn't even take that class, they just thought they could make some money selling it to the students that did.
Kai doesn't really need to confront them before the exam to find out who the thief is, just wait till they take the exam and check for who is shocked that the questions don't match the stolen test. of course this may just root out the cheaters that bought the exam (If there are any, I suspect that most if not all like and respect her as a teacher too much to cheat).
But even if the thief wasn't in the class if somebody bought the test, Kai could follow that person to who did. As I suspect whoever bought the old test would be very upset with the seller when the questions didn't match, If Kai got no reaction from anyone in the class she would know that the thief wasn't in her class and that her students weren't cheaters (as they wouldn't have seen the test to know what the questions would be if they didn't buy it) without having to confront anybody.
The problem with confronting them before the test is that you can't really use Kai's abilities to bring them up before the review board as the review board, I suspect, would not accept her abilities as proof positive or prosecutable. Not to mention the police would be a little po'd at her for telling the students about the theft.
Not that she didn't already break that rule by telling Amy, but they'll never know that as Amy won't blab.

Interesting thoughts guest

Interesting thoughts guest reader. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Not good for somebody

Jamie Lee's picture

There are some who teach at Universites that don't have the ability to teach, which makes it hard to learn when they end up putting their students to sleep. This also applies in high school and middle school.

Enthralling a high school physics teacher during her class is high praise for Kai's ability to keep the students' attention. Even though the subject matter went over David's head, Kai held his attention.

The question of the missing test is more important than just the missing test. Joe said it all, they might have had research material out and that could have been stolen.

But the real question comes down to who knew Kai had the test in her briefcase and she left it in the lab? Unless someone saw her put t by e tests into her briefcase while she was in the office, then someone in the office told someone where Kai had put her tests.

The thief should have realized breaking into the lab was going to be noticed, and the missing test would be discovered--because the lab would be inventoried for missing items. The thief should have known once the loss was discovered a new test would be made making the stolen test moot.

Kai shouldn't confront the class until she hands out the new test on the day of the final. That way if any student in the class had bought a copy of that test, their panic will stand out like a sore thumb.

Others have feelings too.

Some good comments, Jamie Lee

Some good comments, Jamie Lee. Yes, how did the thief know she'd picked up the test and that they were in her briefcase?