Tommy - The Trials and Tribulations of a Girl? - Chapter 159

Printer-friendly version



Tommy
The Trials and Tribulations of a Girl?

A Novel By Teddie S.

Copyright © 2019 Teddie S.
All Rights Reserved.

Chapter 159
Tommy wants to come back. We say so long.
Put on a seminar? A dream, a wolf, and an Eagle.

Christmas Eve, we went to church with my parents and met up with Amy’s family and Bridget. After the service, a teenager made fun of, not only the way Amy and I were dressed but also the way Bridget was dressed. He received a Kai style tongue lashing. And, his mother even joined in.

On the way home after church, we talked with my parents about a gift for Bridget. It was too late to buy her something, besides we wanted it to be special. Then my mother offered us something that she had purchased the last time she’d been in New Mexico. A pair of earrings. When she showed them to us and told us that she’d bought them in Old Town Albuquerque, we knew she purchased them from Cousin Ahiga. And, we had a laugh over it.

As is tradition, we opened our presents on Christmas Eve. Mom and dad were thrilled with what we’d gotten them. Mom loved her necklace. Amy and I also loved what we were given, and we were shocked about the one together gift that we received, a block of one-hundred shares of IBM stock.

On Christmas day we had dinner with the Grants and Bridget. Then we opened gifts there. Bridget was very surprised that Amy and I had gotten her a gift. The earrings.

We then talked with Billy and Bridget about our meteorite necklaces. And, they were surprised when the latches on the necklaces wouldn’t open for them.

Then we talked with Billy and Bridget about there plans.

Amy and I both feel there is something special between them.

After we were home from the Grants, I asked my dad, “Dad, I want to take the ‘57 Chevy out to New Mexico, but I don’t think I want to drive it that far. Any idea how I could do that?”

“Going to take my toy away from me.”, My dad said.

“You’ve still got the Vette.”

“I know, but the ‘57 is fun to drive.”

With a grin, I said, “Why do you think I want it. So, any ideas on how to get it out there?”

“Sure.”, my dad said. “Remember when I got the ‘53 Corvette?”

“Sure.”

“Remember that I bought it out of state and had it shipped in.”

“That’s right. I remember going with you and mom to pick it up. So, I could ship the ‘57 from here to Albuquerque.”

“Shouldn’t be a problem.”

“But I don’t want it shipped on an open car hauler.”

“No problem. The Vette was shipped in a closed container. It costs a little more, but it’s worth it.”

“How much do you think it would cost?”

“For a closed container, it should be around two-hundred. I know that you only have a one car garage at the apartment and already have a car. Where are you going to keep it?”

“Uncle Paul said I could keep it at the resort. Plus the couple, Charlie and Jackie, that lives next door to us don’t have a car, and they’ve said I could keep it there.”

“Either place would be good.”

“Yes. Let me think about this some more, and I’ll let you know how and when I want to do it. And, I may wait until we get a house.”

“Okay. We’ll see you tomorrow. We’re going to bed. I’ve got an early up in the morning.”

Amy and I stayed up for another hour, and then we went to bed. Not to sleep, but to bed.

Afterward, I didn’t sleep well. Something was bothering me.

When we got up on Tuesday morning, I looked outside, and it looked like we had another six or eight inches of snow. There goes the idea of taking a hike.

We threw our robes on and wandered out to the kitchen, and mom was sitting there. She said, “I’m surprised that dad clearing the driveway this morning didn’t wake you up.”

“Didn’t hear a thing, mom.”, I said.

“Me either.”, Amy added.

So, after breakfast, Amy and I went out and finished clearing the driveway and sidewalks of snow. I’m happy that dad had gotten a snowblower.

I’m not going to bore you with the details of the rest of the day. Except to say, Amy and I just helped mom with some housework, then moved some firewood into the house off the porch. Then we shoveled a path out to the big pile of wood in the backyard and moved firewood from the big pile to the patio. Amy helped me lay a fire, then we cuddled up in front of a nice fire and read, or just watched the fire, or took a nap after all that cold, fresh air.

Amy and I helped mom with dinner, no Southwestern food, but a nice dinner. Dad was happy when he came home and found that the driveway had been thoroughly cleaned, and a nice fire burning in the fireplace. After dinner, the four of us were back in the den in front of the fireplace and watching a little television.

As Amy and I were getting ready for bed, Amy said, “Honey, you were too quiet today. Is something bothering you?”

“Kind of.”, I replied.

“It’s the wondering why you enjoy presenting like a girl thing isn’t it?”

I just looked at Amy for a second, and then said, “Yeah. I guess.”

“It always happens when we’re back here. Doesn’t it?”

“It seems to. It’s happened out west too. But, here it really bothers me. It’s a strong feeling. And, I don’t like it.”

“It’s that your male spirit is strong. Isn’t it?”

I just nodded yes.

“And, your female spirit isn’t as strong here. Is she?”

I shook my head no.

“I love you.”, Amy said. “And, I wish there was something that I could do.”

“Honey, I love you too. This is just something that I have to learn to accept when I’m here. I’m afraid that if we ever moved back here, that Kai would all but disappear. And, that scares me. I don’t want to lose her.”

I sat on the bed, and the tears started.

Amy walked over, sat beside me, and held me.

I don’t know how long I cried, but it was a while. Finally, Amy calmed me down. Then she said, “Honey, everything will be fine once we get back to New Mexico.”

Between sniffs, I said, “I know. But, at times I want to see Tom again. And if I do, I know that I’ll want to stay him.”

“Honey, when we lived here you easily switched between Tom and Tammy. I think it’s just your male spirit wanting to visit. Maybe we need to let him visit.”

“You … you think?”

“Maybe.”, Amy said. “But, I don’t know if I’d do it here. I’d try it out west. And not long after we’re back.”

“Like when?”, I asked.

“Only you’ll know that. Maybe when you feel that both of your spirits are close to the same strength.”

“Do you think she’ll gain her strength back?”

“Honey, if the past six months are any indication, there isn’t any doubt. Your female spirit is very strong.”

We just sat there for a few minutes holding each other.

I was finally able to sit back and take a deep breath. Then I said, “I feel better.”

“You worry me.”, Amy said.

“I’m sorry.”

“Honey, everything will be fine.”

“I know it will. I have you.”

I must have been exhausted. My head hit the pillow, and I was asleep. And I dreamed.

Wednesday was our last full day here, and we were flying out early tomorrow morning. So, I was up early, leaving Amy to sleep in, and I drove dad to work. We wanted the car today. When I came back, Amy was up and dressed, and we ate a quick breakfast, as my mother dressed for work.

We dropped my mom off at the store and went over to Mark and Mari’s apartment to visit, then the four of us met up with Larry and Kelly at one of our favorite places for lunch. As we ate, Maria said, “It was sure interesting the other day listening to you and Bridget talk. It opened my eyes a little more as to who Kai is.”

“And, what is that?”, I asked.

“That there is something special about her, and I think that it’s rubbing off on Amy or is it Ajie.”

“You think?”

“Uh huh.”

“Like.”

“Like the Eagles. Like knowing about our pregnancies. And other things between you two.”

“I have to agree with Maria.”, Kelly said. “The two of you have changed in the past few months, and it’s not a bad change. And, it seems like you are also closer to each other than you’ve ever been. If that's possible.”

“They’re right.”, Larry said. “I guess we can see it because we aren’t around you much.”

Mark just nodded yes.

Amy started to say, “When we get the house … “

“House!?”, Maria interrupting her said. “You’re going to get a house!?”

“We’re seriously talking about it. We want out of the city.”, Amy said. “And, like I was saying, when we get the house, we’ll be sure that there will be plenty of room for company, including babies. And hopefully, there will be room for all you to come out together.

“And, we plan on coming back here two or three times a year. After all, our families are here and also our best friends.”

I saw Mark nodding yes. And I asked, “Mark, you seem like you knew this was going to happen.”

“Kai.”, Mark said. “When we were out there with you, I saw how much both of you loved it out there. I knew then that you’d probably make it your home. And, I don’t blame you.”

Maria then said, “What Mark said.”

Kelly then said, “Kai and Amy, I feel that our friendship is extraordinary. And, that even if you moved to the other side of the World that we’d still be friends.”

I looked at Larry, and asked, “Nothing to say, Larry?”

“No.”, Larry said. “It’s all been said, and I agree with it one-million percent.”

“You guys are just the best.”, Amy said.

I looked at Larry, grinned, and said, “And, I agree with Amy one-million percent.”

Amy looked at Maria, and said, “So, you think I’m becoming more Ajie?”

“Huh?”, Maria said.

“You said that Kai was rubbing off on me.”

“I did. Didn’t I?”

“Uh huh. I know that I feel close to the native people out there. And, maybe part of it is because of Kai. But, I also feel my spirit more. It’s me. It’s who I am. And, I enjoy it.

“When we go to a gathering, and there’s dancing, I want to dance with them. I even felt that way this summer at the barbecues.

“The more I see and learn, the more I like it.”

“I didn’t know that.”, I said.

“Believe it, honey.”, Amy said. “Maybe it’s that little bit of Wampanoag Indian that’s in me. I don’t know.”

“Interesting.”

We spent an additional hour or more at the restaurant just talking. Well, Kelly and Maria did make a trip or two to the restroom.

The hugs as we said so long we long ones. And, by the time we dropped off Mark and Mari, we were almost late picking up my mom and then my dad. As we pick up my mother and she got in the car, I said, “Sorry we’re late mom.”

“Only five minutes, honey.”, mom said. “I know it was hard saying goodbye to everyone again.”

“It was hard.”, Amy said. “But, did you forget that we say so long and not goodbye.”

“I did forget.”

We were going out to dinner with our families, and Bridget. And, I guess we can include her in the family. Wink. Wink.

We met up with the Grants at the restaurant. And the eight of us had a very nice dinner. The talk was about everyone's plans for the summer. We found out that Bill and Bridget were going to be in Scotland for only six weeks. But, we knew that.

I looked at Amy, she looked at me, and I knew that we were thinking the same thing. So, I said, “Billy, why don’t you and Bridget take a week and come out and see us. We have an extra bedroom in the apartment so that you could stay with us. Then, we can show you and Bridget another part of the country.”

Billy looked at Bridget, then said, “Let us talk about it and see if we can find the money for the flight.”

“That’s all it would take because you would be our guests. And, we’d really like you to come out.”, Amy said.

“We’ll see.”, Billy said.

“It would be fun.”, Bridget said. “But, we wouldn’t want to put you out.”

“Honey.”, Amy said. “You wouldn’t be putting us out. Besides, my parents have been out there, and Bill hasn’t.”

“It’s just an idea and an invitation.”, I added. “Think about it. There’s no rush to make a decision.”

“Okay.”, Bill said. “We’ll see what we can do.”

Then we found out that both sets of our parents were planning on coming out this summer, renting a motor home, and seeing part of the west. And do it together, and starting and ending with us in Albuquerque. And of course, they’d be with us on a Friday night, so that they could see my aunt and uncle, and take in the barbecue at the resort. And, end up back in Albuquerque on a Friday a couple of weeks later.

Then we had to explain what a barbecue was to Bridget. And, her response to our explanation was, “That sounds like a lot of fun?”

I grinned, and said, “They are, and we wouldn’t miss one. The barbecues at the resort usually have native musicians and dancers. The food is always a Southwestern fare and really good. And, you never know who’ll be there. The Chief of the Navajo Nation is a regular.”

“You go to these?”

“Every Friday during the summer.”

“Are they that much fun.”

“We think so.”, Amy said. “Plus we get to dress up for them. And, Kai’s uncle has made her the MC.”

“Really!?”

“Yes.”, I said. “It started as a joke and escalated from there. And, it’s fun to do.”

“I hope we can do this.”, Bridget said. “It sounds like fun, and I’d like to see more of this country.”

Then Bridget said, “You know. This has been a wonderful Christmas. I’ve met Kai and her family, and I’ve finally met Bill’s sister Amy. Meeting Kai and Amy, I met two wonderful people, and I hope that we can see a lot more of each other.”

I thought, ‘I think we will, Bridget.’ As I said, “Amy and I hope so too, Bridget.”

As we were saying goodnight to the Grants and Bridget, Amy and I were able to get Amy’s parents alone, and Amy said, “Mom and dad if it comes down to the cost of Billy and Bridget flying to New Mexico. Tell them that you’ll pay for it. And, we’ll repay you.”

“Honey, you can do that?”, Amy's mother asked.

“Yes. With the university picking up a lot of our fees and housing we’ve put a lot of money aside. Plus, we’re being paid for our teaching and Kai’s research.”

“Okay, honey. I know that you’d love to have Billy and Bridget come out, so we’ll see what we can do.”

“Thanks, mom.”

We said goodnight, and we knew that we’d see them in the morning at the airport. So, there were no so longs tonight.

On the way home, I said, “Mom, we told Amy’s mom that if the cost of the flight to New Mexico is a problem for Bill and Bridget, to tell them that they’d pick it up. But, in reality, Amy and I would pay for it.”

“That’s sweet of you two. I hope that they can come out.”

“So, do we.”, Amy said. “We’ve taken a liking to Bridget.”

“I hope everything works out with Billy and her.”

“Mom.”, I said. “I have a good feeling that it will.”

We had most of our things packed on Wednesday. So, that when we got up on Thursday morning, all we had to do was, get dressed, pack a few of our remaining things, eat a good breakfast that mom had for us, and head for the airport. We checked in at the airline counter an hour before our flight was scheduled, dropped off our checked luggage, and headed down the concourse with our carry on luggage.

When we arrived at the gate, the Grants and Bridget were already there, and we exchanged hugs. We were able to sit together and talk while we waited for the boarding call.

When they called for boarding, we stood up and started hugging everyone. We got the usual, safe flight, call when you get home, etc. Then we heard Bridget say, “Goodbye, Kai and Amy. I hope that we’ll see you soon.”

Amy and I turned around, and Amy said, “Bridget. Honey, we never say goodbye, it’s too permanent. We say what the Navajo say, hágoónee'. And that means, see you later.”

Bridget smiled, and said, “I like that. Hágoónee'.”

I walked back over to Bridget, hugged her, and whispered, “Hágoónee', Bridget. And, we will see you soon.”

Amy grabbed my arm, and said, “Come on Kai, or they’ll leave without us.”

Bridget smiled, and said, “Hágoónee', Amy.”

Amy returned the smile, and said, “Hágoónee', Bridget.”

We ran across the tarmac and up the boarding stairs, just before they were ready to close the door. Over six hours later after a layover in Dallas and a lousy meal on the plane, we were walking down the boarding stairs and across the tarmac in Albuquerque.

We grabbed our checked baggage and headed for where we parked the car. When we got to the car, and I saw it, and said, “This thing is going to need a bath after sitting out here for a week.”

After tossing the baggage in the trunk, we got in the car and headed for the apartment.

As I drove, Amy said, “You know what?”

“What?”, I asked.

“I’d like to go to Old Town for dinner.”

“No argument here. I assume La Placita Dining Rooms?”

“You assume correctly, love.”, Amy said.

“Speaking of Old Town and silversmiths.”, I said.

“Who’s speaking of silversmiths?”

“I am, and in particular Cousin Ahiga.”

“What about him?”, Amy asked.

“We haven’t seen him in quite a while.”, I replied.

“We haven’t have we.”

“No, why don’t we have dinner and stop in the shop.”

“Since it’s not tourist season they might not be open late.”

“True. We could go before dinner.”, I suggested.

“Sounds good to me.”, Amy said.

Once we were back at the apartment, and everything was in the apartment, I checked the answering machine. There were only two calls. I rewound the tape and played it. The first was from Charlie saying that they would be back a day early on the same flight. And, if it was a problem to call them at a number that he gave. So, they’d be back on Friday instead of Saturday. The second one was from Vickie, and she wanted Amy to call her.

We decided to get everything put away or in the wash before Amy called Vickie. Later when I went downstairs to start the laundry, Amy called Vickie. When I came back upstairs, Amy asked, “Can we buy a typewriter?”

“Sure.”, I replied. “Why?”

“I talked to Vickie.”

“Oh?”

“You remember Dr. Black?”

“Of course.”

“Well, he talked to some people about what we talked about, and now they want me to do a seminar.”

“What did we talk about?”, I asked.

“Remember when he was checking your arm, and we talked about treating the native people?”, Amy replied.

“Yeah.”

“Well, the people he talked to, which was the faculty of the medical school, liked the idea. And want someone to do a seminar. Me.

“And Dean Milford and Vickie also love the idea,”

“Dean Milford?”

“The dean of the Nursing School.”, Amy said.

“Oh, her.”, I replied.

“Yes, her.”

“When do they want you to do this?”, I asked.

“As soon as I can put something together.”, Amy replied.

“And, the typewriter?”

“Well, I want to put together a handout, plus I want my notes typed. And then if we do our doctoral degrees, we’ll need to type up our thesis papers.”

“Yeah. But, the secretaries at the dean’s office type thesis papers on a per page basis.”

“Maybe for the final copy that would be good.”

“Well, there is a good office supply shop downtown, we could hit them tomorrow. Any thoughts about what kind of typewriter that you want?”

“I think that it should be a good one.”, Amy said. “One that will be good for a long time.”

“Like?”

“I notice that all the offices on campus use IBM typewriters.”

“Trying to make our stock go up.”

“No, silly. I want something good.”

“I’ve watched the girls in the dean's office type with an IBM typewriter, and it’s interesting to watch it work.”

“And, no taking it apart to see what makes it tick.”, Amy said.

“Ah, you’re no fun.”, I said.

“Promise me?”

“I promise.

“We’ll go tomorrow, take a look at them, and see what they recommend.”

“We’d better get going if we’re going to stop and see Cousin Ahiga before they close.”

A short time later we were walking from where we parked to Cousin Ahiga shop. As we walked up to the shop, the lights were still on, and both Cousin Ahiga and his partner Yas Lapahie were inside. As we walked in both Amy and I said, “Yá'át'ééh, Ahiga dóó Yas. Nizhonigó íiná aadóó hozhónahasdlíí.” - (Hello, Ahiga and Yaz! It is good, and all is harmony around us.)

Ahiga and Yaz looked at us and, Cousin Ahiga said, “Yá’át’ééh alní'íní, Kai dóó Ajie.” - (Good evening, Kai and Ajie.)

Cousin Ahiga then added, “What brings you in?”

“It’s been too long since we’ve seen you.”, I said. “So, we stopped in on our way to dinner.”

“So, where have you two been?”

“Busy, with school and work. And, we just came back from Ohio.

“We saw a piece of your work this Christmas, and it made me remember that we hadn’t seen you for a while.”

“What did you see?”

“My mother showed us a pair of earrings that she’d bought when she was out here. I saw the maker’s mark, and it was yours.”

“That’s good to hear. And, you remembered my maker’s mark?”

“Yes, it’s one of three that I recognize.”

“Your grandfather’s mark, mine, and whose.”

“Sike Yazzie.”, I said.

“Cousin Ahiga.”, Amy asked. “Have you ever had any luck finding out who that one maker’s mark belongs to?”

“No.”, Cousin Ahiga said. “But, I did hear from someone that has a silver piece with that mark on it but didn’t know who it was. It’s really an old piece. I have the picture of that mark in the front of my book in hopes that we can find out.”

We chatted for a few more minutes, and then we excused ourselves as we were hungry and it was closing time for the shop. As we left the shop, both Amy and I said, “Hágoónee'.”

Cousin Ahiga said, “Hágoónee'. And, don’t wait so long to come back.”

I said, “We won’t. I promise.”

We went to the La Placita Dining Rooms and had a nice dinner. I was driving so no sangria for me, but Amy had one.

After we’d finished our meal, and were having dessert, I quietly said, “I’ve been thinking about what happened the other night.”

“What was that?”, Amy asked.

“When I was upset.”

“Oh.”

“First, I had a dream later that night.”, I whispered.

“And, you didn’t share?”

“Sorry, but I felt that I need to think about it.”

“So, what was this dream?”

“I saw the Indian girl and she was sitting under the tree. At the start of the dream, she was alone. The wolf wasn’t there, but then the wolf walked up, lay down beside her, and put his head in her lap. Shortly they were joined by an Eagle. And, then she said: ’The child that you were, the elder that you will become, and the spirit that you will finally be will lead you.’”

“On the flight home, every once in a while, I would hear her say it again.. And, I finally realized that what I’m doing is the right path not only for me but for us.

“I realize that the child that I was had led me to the correct path. The elder that I’m becoming is showing me many things and doing many things along that path. And, the spirit that I will become is happy with the direction that I’m going with you on that path.

“Amy, you are my life partner. You help me. I help you. We are traveling through this life together, as we will through the next life.

“Do I feel that I need to have Tom come back for a short time? No. But, Tom will be back every once in a while when we, yes we, want him to. He’ll be happy doing that.”

I looked at Amy, and there were tears in her eyes. I asked, “Why the tears?”

“Honey.”, Amy whispered. “As you told me that, I felt warm inside, my heart filled with love for you, and I love being your life partner. You are so special to me.”

I reached over and wiped the tears away. Then I held Amy's hand. Yes we were in a restaurant, yes there were people around, yes we were two girls, and no I didn’t care what anyone saw or thought.

~o~O~o~

Dear readers, Remember authors like comments. And even constructive criticism. Please leave a comment. Want to comment but don't want to open an account? Anyone can log in as Guest Reader -- with a password of topshelf to leave a comment. Thanks.

up
312 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Very nice!

Monique S's picture

I think Kai is going to find out more and more about her spirits, the wolf and the eagle.

The interesting thing is, that she is now teaching the subjects, that Tom was always intersted in. Maybe that is the right way to fuse the two.
Also Ajie will be coming more to the foreground, I think, the longer they stay where they feel at home. Definitely a question of moving out from where they grew up. Every place has its time to be right. Ohio might be fading now.

Cuddles,
Monique.

Monique S

Thanks, Monique. You could

Thanks, Monique. You could be right on all account, but time will tell.

Cuddles back at ya.
Teddie

Wonderful Teddie,

A very romantic interlude ,so sweetly written . I get the feeling that the spirit of Kai is getting stronger and will be the dominant one ,
but time and Teddy will tell :) Thank you .

Aww

My5InchFMHeels's picture

A tear jerker ending on a wonderful chapter. I was hoping Bridget would get to meet Tom, but I guess that'll have to wait till a later date.

Maybe, just maybe, Tom won't

Maybe, just maybe, Tom won't exist by the time Bridget makes it to New Mexico. But, if Tom is gone will Kai be the same person that she is now? So many twists and turns.

It’s really too bad......

D. Eden's picture

That they can’t safely show their love for each other in public.

Even today many of us are not comfortable doing so. My wife is not able to do so with me when we are in public. She is extremely uncomfortable with the thought that people will see her as a lesbian, and even though she still loves me, she cannot and will not treat me as other than a friend when we are in public.

She has told me repeatedly how much she misses aspects of our relationship; things like holding hands, or my opening doors for her - which she will not allow me to do anymore, and my holding her in public.

She doesn’t think of herself as a lesbian, and truly, she is not. She loves me still, but our relationship has definitely changed. Our sex life is much less active than it was, and when we are intimate, it is always one way. She cannot bring herself to do anything that she feels constitutes her being a lesbian.

She suffers from having been brought up a very strict Catholic, by parents who were very straight - and she really drank from the koolaide.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Hi D. Eden,

Hi D. Eden,

That really has to be hard on you and her. And, if she was brought up in a strict Catholic family, I can see her problem.

Enjoying the ebb and flow

...Concious of Tom as well as Kai, the two identities remain important but as the chapter goes on, even in Ohio, Kai's spirit moves to the forefront. There is a new bonding with Bridget and continues with Maria and Kelly. Kai has grown as a conversationalist. Kai and Amy along with others see the deepening of their relationship. Great progression in the story.
The IBM typewriter brings back memories as it was the new premiere typewriter in the sixties/seventies. Don't forget to get several balls with different fonts for typing.

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

Yes, Kai knows who her real

Yes, Kai knows who her real friends are in New Mexico and Ohio, and maybe even Scotland.

They did buy additional golf balls for the typewriter.

you know

if they keep playing around, well,Abandon sleep all ye who go there. I have no idea where that came from, it just tickled my fancy.

I think that they've both

I think that they've both known that since junior high.

Nostalgia

A lot of items in that catagory for me. 50s and 60s cars, typewriters, Shipping cross-country for what seems like now a small amount, but was in reality a pretty hefty sum then. I bought a new Pinto in 73 for about $2000. Also, "early up in the morning" which I haven't heard in many years. (Could be a regional thing.)

Still has a sweet strong loving storyline too. Very heartwarming Teddie.

Wendy K., it's nostalgic for

Wendy K., it's nostalgic for me too. For the shipping of the car, I took the current cost and then figured what it would have cost back in '67. And, I've heard the "early up in the morning" for as long as I can remember. And, it could be regional.

Story really time stamped

Jamie Lee's picture

Once upon a time passengers did walk across the tarmac to climb the stairs when boarding a plane. And visitors could wait at the gate to watch bording, the plane taxi, and in some cases, take off. That may still happen at small airports but not now at major airports.

An IBM Selectric was nice to use, once a person got used to NOT resting their fingers on the keys--big jam otherwise. It was strange not to have a carriage that move, but missing that was not a big deal.

Kai and Amy's talk about Tom appearing brought up a question needing to be considered for a future event. Amy and Kai both feel Billy and Bridget will get married, as do the new couple, and Bridget will want to get married in her hometown. If/when this happens who will be going to Scotland with Amy? Which means if Kai or Tammy go, how will she be accepted?

There really needs to be a warning before the last conversation between Amy and Kai, listing the number of tissues which might be needed.

Others have feelings too.

I'll try to count the tissues

I'll try to count the tissues that I use as I write something like that again.

I still think

given that Amy has Native American blood, that the Navajo nation could make an exception and allow her to join the tribe. I also think that the Pueblo nation could make Kai an honorary member and thus allow her access to the sacred sit. Blue Lake, I think?