Tommy - The Trials and Tribulations of a Girl? - Chapter 187

Printer-friendly version



Tommy
The Trials and Tribulations of a Girl?

A Novel By Teddie S.

Copyright © 2019 Teddie S.
All Rights Reserved.

Chapter 187


Me in a suit and tie!?
The christening.
A trip to the bank and lawyer.
Too nervous to work.


Spring quarter started this past week. I was teaching the final quarter of Electronic Circuits and Systems and the first class ever in Computer Design. The class in Electronic Circuits and Systems went well. The first class in Computer Design was a little troublesome. After I’d introduced myself, one of my students challenged me because I was a female and he thought that I couldn’t teach this course. Then one of the students that I’d previously had in class stood up for me. So, then I challenged my antagonist to give me until the third class meeting to show him that I could teach the subject. And, he took my challenge.

Then on Friday Ajie and I flew back to Ohio for the christening of Larry and Kelly’s little boy. The worst thing about this trip was that I was looking like Tom. Well, after all I am going to be the baby’s godfather, so I guess I’d better look like a guy. But, boy did it feel strange.

On Saturday we’d gotten together at Larry and Kelly’s apartment with Mark and Maria to have lunch and meet little Larry. Who, thank the Great Spirit they were going to call by his middle name, Randall or Randy. We’d given him a Navajo Churro wool christening blanket. Plus, we’d set up a trust fund for his college education.

Saturday evening, we’d had dinner at Amy’s parent’s house, with my parents, and Amy’s brother Bill, and his girlfriend (soon to be fiancee, we think) Bridget. Among other things, we talked about and looked at the pictures of the adobe house.

Then when we were back at my parent’s house, we tried to figure out what I could wear for the christening. We found an old dress shirt and suit that still fit me, but no tie. And my old dress shoes were too small.

Sunday morning, we were up early, the smell of breakfast cooking was the best alarm clock ever. We walked into the kitchen in our robes, and mom was fixing bacon and French toast with maple syrup. Yum!

As we finished eating, I brought up what I was going to wear to the christening. We told my parents that one of my old suits still fit, as did one of my dress shirts. But, I didn’t have a tie or shoes. So, I asked, “Dad, could I borrow the bolo tie that we gave you?”

“The one with the silver dollar?”

“You have more than one?”

“No, and sure you can borrow it.”, my dad said. “What about shoes?”

“That was my next question. Do you have any shoes that might fit me?”

“Maybe. We can look. I think I have a pair of dress loafers that are a little loose on me.”

“As long as they're not too tight on me.”

“They shouldn’t be.”, my mother said. “Your father’s always worn a larger shoe size than you have.”

“Remember that I’ve been wearing moccasins most of the time since last June.”

“Oh. That’s right. We’ll have to see. Come with me.”

Amy and I followed my mom to their room. The first thing that mom retrieved was the bolo tie. Then she got a pair of my dad’s socks out of a drawer, and as she handed them to me, she said, “Here. Put these on.”

I sat on the bed and put on the socks. Then my mom went to their closet and found the dress loafers that my dad had. She handed them to me, and I slipped them on, stood up, and said, “They’re a bit big.”

“Better than being too small.”, Amy said.

“Can you walk in them?”, mom asked.

I stood and walked around their bedroom, and I said, “The only thing is the heel rubs. But they should be okay for a short time.”

“We’d better get dressed, so we’re not late.”

“Okay, mom.”

Amy and I headed for our room. I was jealous of Amy. She was going to be in a fancy long skirt, a pretty blouse, and a pair of dressy shoes. And, she had her hair in a cute single braid. Me? I was stuck in a dress shirt with a tie, at least it was a bolo tie, a suit, and dress shoes. And, my hair was in a man's braid.

Amy could wear all kinds of jewelry and did. I was left with my meteorite necklace, a couple of rings, and my stud earrings. I guess I could have worn the bone choker, but I didn’t.

We rode with my mom and dad to the church where little Larry was being christened. The mass started at ten, and the christening was right afterward. We found Larry, Kelly, with their parents and the parish priest. Kelly was holding little Larry.

Larry saw me and said, “Well, Tom, you cleaned up nicely.”

I glared at him. Then I saw little Larry in Kelly’s arms all wrapped in the Churro wool christening blanket. He was sleeping. And I smiled at him.

Then the parish priest asked, “Are these the godparents?”

“Yes, Father.”, Kelly said. “Father Richards this is Tom and Amy Young, and their parents.”

“Tom and Amy.”, the priest said. “I understand that neither of you are Catholic.”

“No, sir, we’re not.”, I said. “We’re both Navajo.”

“I see. Normally having non-Catholics as the godparents is not accepted. But, after a long, serious talk with Larry and Kelly about you, and finding out how strongly they feel about you being the child's godparents, I spoke with the Bishop, and he granted a dispensation. You will need to sign a paper agreeing to see that the baby will be raised within the Catholic religion if something should happen to the parents. Is this a problem?”

“No, sir.”, both Amy and I said.

“Larry and Kelly tell me that there are many Catholic parishes where you live. Is this true?”

“Father.”, I said. “With the strong Spanish influence in the area where we live, there are several old Catholic parishes. I know that some of the native people follow your church’s teaching.

But, like you believe in God, the Navajo people believe in a Great Spirit, life itself, the land, and well-being. All living things - people, plants, animals, mountains, and the Earth itself - are relatives. Each being is infused with its own spirit, or 'inner form', which gives it life and purpose within an orderly and interconnected universe. And there’s more to our religion than that. But, it would take too much time to go into it right now. Also, some of our people are Catholics, some are Mormons, and some follow the Native American Church.”

“Mr. Young.”, the priest said. “I would like to sit and talk with you. Other religions are an interest of mine.”

“I wish I had the time to do that, Father. But, Amy and I have to be back in Albuquerque to teach on Monday. So, we’re catching a flight right after the christening.”

“Larry and Kelly did tell me that both of you were academics. What are your fields?”

“Amy is a nurse and teaches in the school of nursing while working in the university’s hospital's emergency room, and is also taking graduate classes. I teach in the electrical engineering department and have a research fellowship, plus take graduate classes.”

“Busy people.

“Now, I would like the families, the godparents, and the witnesses to sit towards the front of the church. Then when the mass is over, I’ll announce the two christenings that we have today. Then I’ll walk with my alter boy back to where we are now, and I would like all of you to follow me. Then we’ll go into the baptistery which is right behind me.

“The mass will start shortly, so you’ll have to excuse me. Go ahead and take a seat.”

The priest left us, and before we could walk into the church proper, Kelly’s parents walked up to Amy and me. And, Mr. O’Brian said, “Tom and Amy, I’m pleased that Kelly and Larry chose you to be the baby’s godparents. They and you have shown me that you are special people, and your parents should be very proud of both of you.”

“Thank you, Mr. O’Brian.”, I said. “And, Amy and I are happy that you’ve recovered from your problem.”

“That was thanks to you.”

Amy and I just smiled at him, and we all walked into the church. As we walked down the aisle, we saw Mark and Maria. Larry stopped, and I heard him say to them, “When we go back to the baptistery, please join us.”

I didn’t hear what Mark or Maria said, but I hope that they do join us.

All of our little group was able to sit close together. Amy and I sat next to Kelly and Larry, and about halfway through the service little Larry got fussy. And, nothing Kelly could do would settle him down. Finally, Amy took little Larry from Kelly, and he quieted right down. I looked at Amy and smiled.

After the mass was over, we followed the priest to the back of the church and the baptismal. Mark and Maria did join us. We stood and watched as the first baby, a girl, was christened.

When it was little Larry’s turn, Kelly handed little Larry, wrapped in the Churro wool christening blanket, to Amy. And Amy and I brought little Larry to the baptismal font for the priest to perform the ritual. The priest went through the christening service for Lawrence Randall Thomas. Afterward, Amy and I signed the papers that we needed to.

As the priest was shaking everyone's hands, when he came to me, he said, “Mr. Young, when you’re back in town and have the time, I would like to sit down and learn more about the beliefs of the Navajo people.”

“Father.”, I said. “I’d be happy to.”

Then I looked at my dad and said, “Dad, we should go if we’re going to make our flight.”

It was hard saying so long to everyone, but we promised that we’d see them soon. And, I told them all that when and if we get the house there will be room for them to stay with us.

Everyone went with us to my dad’s car in the church parking lot, and when we got there I had him open the trunk, I took off the suit coat and tossed it into the trunk, then I removed the bolo necktie and handed it to my dad with a thanks. And then I unbuttoned the top two buttons on the shirt. But, I was stuck in the pants, shirt, and shoes until we were back in Albuquerque.

There were all kinds of hugs, kisses, and handshakes as we said so long. As we were finally able to get into the car, we waived to everyone and Amy and I both yelled, “Hágoónee' t'áá ájíltso.” - (See you later all people [everyone].)

Amy’s parents, Bill, and Bridget were following us to the airport. And, as my dad drove, Amy asked me, “Honey, where did you come up with everything that you said to the priest? I don’t think I’ve heard any of that before.”

“I don’t know.”, I said. “It was just there.”

“That was interesting, honey.”, my mother said. “I’d expect to hear something like that out of one of the Tribal elders.”

“Maybe it’s the, I see things, I feel things, I know things that I have no way of knowing, yet I know. Naainish keeps using that saying, so I guess I can too.”

The eight of us walked through the airport, and after Amy and I checked in at the airline’s counter, we all walked down the concourse to the gate. When they called us to board the plane, we said so long to everyone.

As Bridget hugged me, she whispered, “Ye are an amazing person, Tom. Ye make a beautiful native girl and then turn around and make a very handsome man.”

And, I whispered to Bridget, “And, you know I don’t know how I do it.”

“It’s the spirits.”

“I think that you may be right.”

As Amy and I walked up the boarding stairs, we waved to everyone.

Then we settled in for the flight to Dallas and then Albuquerque. As we were landing in Albuquerque, I asked Amy, “What do you want to do for dinner?”

“Go to the apartment.”, Amy replied.

“Go to the apartment. Why?”

“So, you can change and be comfortable, and then maybe go to Old Town.”

I smiled at her and said, “Ayóó'áníínísh'ní. - (I love you.)”

She smiled back at me, and said, “Ayóó aníínísh’ní aldó’. - (I love you too.)”

After we landed, we retrieved our suitcase, went to the car, and headed to the apartment. Once we were there, it felt so good to change back into panties, a bra with forms, long skirt, pretty blouse, and some nice jewelry. I brushed the man’s braid out of my hair and put it into a straight look, and added a simple braided headband. And, a simple pair of earrings.

While I was changing, I heard someone knock on the front door. Amy had answered it, and I'd heard her talking with someone. When I came downstairs, I saw Charlie and Jackie sitting with Amy. Amy looked at me and said, “Kai, we have company.”

“They’re not company.”, I said. “They’re friends. Hi Charlie and Jackie.”

“Hi, Kai.”, Jackie said. “Amy was just telling us about your trip.”

“Why don’t you go to dinner with us and I’ll tell you the true story?”

That got me a nasty look from Amy.

Jackie said, “We’ve already eaten.”

“Well come along anyway and just get something to drink.”

“We could do that.”, Charlie said.

“Good. Let’s go. I’m hungry.”

We went to our favorite place in Old Town, the La Placita Dining Rooms. Amy and I had a nice dinner and good conversation with Charlie and Jackie. And, we talked them into some Mexican fried ice cream for dessert.

Later, when we were back at the apartment, the phone rang. I answered it and said, “Hello.” … “Oh, hi Uncle Paul.” … “Yes, we had a good trip.” … “This Saturday at Noon. Yes, we should be able to make it.” … “Are you and Aunt Ruth going to be there?” … “Oh! You think they will?” … “A little scary. But, it will be interesting to finally know.” … “Okay, we’ll see you there on Saturday. Say, hi to Aunt Ruth for us. Hágoónee', Abízhí Yiska. - (So long, Uncle Paul.)”

As I hung up the phone, Amy asked, “So, what’s going on Saturday?”

“The Tl'izilani family are going to have the feast in honor of their mother from Noon to three.”, I replied.

“Where?”, Amy asked.

“There’s a VFW Post just west of I-25 on Bridge Boulevard here in town.”

“I assume that we’re going”

“We’ve been invited.”

“Oh.”

“And, Uncle Paul said that Sam Tl'izilani will have some information on the house for us.”, I added.

“Oh! A little scary.”, Amy said.

“Yes. I think we should go to the bank tomorrow.”

“Good idea.”

“Dr. Joe won’t be happy that I won’t be there to work on the project.”

“He’ll understand. And, it would probably be a good idea to keep our lawyer in the loop too.

“You’re right. I’ll give Mary Harman a call tomorrow and tell her what’s going on.”

I picked up the phone and called Dr. Joe.

I heard Dr. Joe say, “Hello.”

“Hi, Dr. Joe. It’s Kai.”, I said.

“You’re back from Ohio already.”

“Sure. We’ve both have classes to teach tomorrow.”

“So, how was it?”

“Like old home week. And, it was also fun seeing the baby.”

“So, what’s up?”

“I hope you won’t be mad, but we’re meeting with the people who are selling the house on Saturday, and we want to talk with the people at the bank in advance of that meeting. Like on Monday afternoon. So, I won’t be in on Monday. Is that a problem?”

“I tell you. You just can’t get good hired help any more.”

“Dr. Joe!”

“Kai, I know that the house is important, and we’re well ahead of schedule on the project. So, it’s not a problem.”

“Thank you. I should have the printed circuit board built by Friday.”

“That would be great.”

“So, I’ll see you on Tuesday.”

“See you then. Bye, Kai.”

“Hágoónee', Dr. Joe.”

I was shaking my head as I hung up the phone. So, Amy asked, “What’s wrong?”

“Oh, Dr. Joe. He is a bigger kidder than my dad.”

“Makes you feel at home. Doesn’t it?”

“Sort of.”

Monday was back to the grind, at least the morning was, as Amy and I both taught our classes. Then it was back to the apartment, and I had to become Tom again. At least it was the Navajo version of Tom. Why, you ask? Because that’s who the bank knows.

We drove downtown to the bank’s main office, went in and said that we’d like to talk to a loan officer. We’d brought along the last report from our financial advisor.

The loan officer we talked with was a woman, a Mrs. Tillman, and she was very nice as we explained what we were in the process of doing — buying a house. She said that it would take a couple of days to check our credit rating. I smiled as I told her that we probably didn’t have one, as we always paid cash.

She asked if we had a car, and I said, yes. A ‘57 Chevy Bel Air convertible, and a ‘67 Chevy Bel Air four-door. She asked if we’d paid cash for those? I told her that the ‘67 was a college graduation gift and that I’d bought the ‘57 while I was in high school.

She then asked what kind of assets we had. I wasn’t going to mention the silver jewelry. But, I took out the report from our financial advisor and handed it to her. She read over the cover letter which gave our total investments. Then she glanced over the other pages that showed everything in detail.

She looked at us, then asked if we had accounts with the bank. We told her that we had both a checking account and a savings account.

Then she said that she needed to talk to the manager of the loan department. She excused herself. She was gone about fifteen minutes, and when she came back, she was accompanied by a man, who she introduced as the loan manager, Mr. Edwards.

After the introductions, Mr. Edwards asked, “The two of you are the ones that have funds transferred by wire into your savings account and then transfer it to your checking account as needed?”

“Yes.”, I said.

“And, what Mrs. Tillman showed me is the last report on your investments?”

“Yes.”

“And, you’re now looking at buying a house?”

“Yes.”

“Do you know how much you’d like to borrow?”

“Not exactly. But we should know on Saturday.”

“Was the house listed locally.”

“No. The owners of the house have recently passed away, and the family is looking at selling it to us. If the price is right.”

“Can you tell me about the house.”

“We can do you one better. We can show you pictures.”

Amy pulled the pictures out of her purse and showed them to Mrs. Tillman and Mr. Edwards. Amy had only brought some of the exterior photographs and a few interior photos. Mr. Edwards asked if we knew the address, and I said, “Yes.” And I wrote it down for him.

Mr. Edwards then asked, “Do you know the name of the current owner?”

“It’s probably the estate of the couple. I do know the name of the company that they started.”

“And, that was?”

“Does, the name Tl'izilani Adobe Construction mean anything to you?”

“It sure does. Two of their boys now run the company.”

“Yes, Hosteen and Jáan.”

“Yes, and Mr. Tl'izilani passed away a little while ago, but his wife is still alive. Isn’t she?”

“No, she passed a week or two ago.”

“Sorry to hear that. Any idea what they’re going to be asking for the house?”

“Not yet, but I’m guessing that it’ll be in the sixty to seventy thousand range.”

“Their houses bring a lot because of the way they’re built so that you may be a little light.”

“We’re flexible.”

“So, how much of a loan are you looking for?”

“We’re planning on putting down half of the price we settle on as a down payment.”

Mr. Edwards sat back in his chair and just looked at me. Then he said, “Half?”

“Yes, and finance the rest to help build our credit rating.”

“I can almost guarantee that you will have no problem with that. And looking at your investment report I feel that I can easily get a pre-approval on a loan for you.”

We talked with Mr. Edwards and Mrs. Tillman a little longer, and we told them what we did at the university. Then I told him that most of the Navajo Nation know me as Kai Nez and Amy as Ajie Nez. So, not to be surprised. Then Amy and I filled out some loan paperwork. I used my legal name, Thomas Bly Young. And, Amy used her legal name, Amylin Elizabeth Young.

Mr. Edwards made a copy of the report from our financial advisor. And, as we were saying so long, he said, that he’d bring our application in front of the loan committee on Wednesday and we should have an answer for us later that day.

There’s Wednesday again. I hope it’s not a bad omen.

As we walked to the car, Amy said, “Do you know where Mary Harman’s office is?”

“Not really. But I have her business card in my wallet, and the good map of Albuquerque is in the glove box. Why?”

“Why don’t we stop in and see her, and talk to her about buying the house.”

“We could do that.”

As we walked, I took my wallet out of my pocket, found Mary Harman’s business
card, and handed it to Amy. Amy took the business card, looked at it, and said, “We don’t have to go far. It’s right across the street on the sixth floor.”

A short time later, we were walking into a law office with several names on the door. The receptionist looked up and asked, “Can I help you?”

“Yes.”, I said. “Is Mary Harman in?”

“Do you have an appointment?”

“No. Could you tell her that Kai Nez and Amy Young are here?”

As she picked up the phone, the receptionist said, “Please have a seat.” Then she dialed a number, and when the phone was answered, we heard her say, “Miss Harman, there is a Kai Nez and Amy Young here to see you.” … “Yes, Miss Harman, I’ll tell them.”

As the receptionist hung up the phone, she said, “Miss Harman, will be right out.”

As I said, “Thank you.” A door, marked ‘Private’, opened, and Mary Harman walked out. She looked at us, got a puzzled look that changed to a smile, then she said, “Amy. Kai. Come on back to my office.”

Amy and I stood, walked over to Miss Harman, shook hands, and followed her down a hall to her office. As she closed her door, she said, “This is a nice surprise. When I saw you, I had to remember that you’d told me that Kai was really a boy. So, what do I owe this visit too?”

“This is my Navajo look for Tom Young.”, I said. “And, since your our lawyer of record, we thought that we’d stop in and talk to you about us buying a house.”

“Well, Tom. You do make a good looking man. So, tell me about this house.”

We told Miss Harman all about the adobe house and even showed her some pictures. After we’d finished, she said, “I don’t do real estate law. But, you and I both know someone who does.”

“Who’s that?”

“Atsa Clah.”

“Chief Clah. I thought he only did tribal business.”

“You’d be surprised how much of that can involve real estate.”

“That’s interesting. We’ll get in touch with him.”

“I’m surprised that they can bring that house on the market so quickly. There must have been something set up between the parents and their children. Maybe the children were the real owners of record of the house. If so, they could sell it quickly as it wouldn’t be part of the probate.

“Have you checked the tax records to see what kind of value the county puts on the property?”

“No.”, I said. “I wouldn’t know how.”

“Give me the address, and I’ll have it for you on Wednesday.”

I wrote down the address of the house and gave it to Miss Harman.

“Also.”, Miss Harman said. “I want you to be sure to use your legal names on everything to do with buying the house.”

“My driver's license and university id have Kai Nez on them.”, I said.

“What’s on your birth certificate?”

“Thomas Bly Young.”

“Then, that’s what you need to use.”

We talked a little longer and finally said so long to Miss Harman. And it was with hugs.

As we walked to the car, I said, “It was interesting that she mentioned Chief Clah.”

“It was.”, Amy said. “Think we should call him?”

“Yes, as soon as we’re back at the apartment.”

And, that’s what we did. I found a copy of the Navajo Times, and it had a listing of various important phone numbers, including one for the Navajo Nation Government Offices in Window Rock, Arizona. So, I picked up the phone and dialed the number. Ajie ran upstairs to get on the extension. After a few rings, I heard a woman’s voice say, “Good afternoon. Navajo Nation Government Offices. How can I help you?”

“Yes.”, I said. “Is Chief Clah in?”

“Yes he is, can I tell him who’s calling.”

“Yes, tell him it’s Kai Nez.”

“Oh! Yes. Miss Nez. Please hold.”

I waited for a short while, and then I heard a man’s voice say, “Kai Nez what a pleasant surprise.”

“Chief Clah?”, I said.

“Yes, Miss Nez. Why do I have the pleasure of a phone call from you?”

“Ajie and I were talking to our lawyer, Mary Harman, and you’re name came up.”

“Yes, Miss Harman. We recently had a talk about you.”

“I hope that it was nothing bad?”

“Miss Nez. Nothing about you could be bad. So, what were you talking to her about?”

“Buying a house. And, she suggested that you were a better source for real estate.”

“So, tell me about this house?”

“First of all, Ajie, since she is a major part of this, is on the extension.”

“Hello, Ajie.”, Chief Clah said.”

“Hello, Chief Clah.”, Ajie said.

“So, now fill me in on this house.”

We spent about fifteen minutes talking to Chief Clah and giving him all the details on what we were planning on doing.

As we hung up with the Chief, I said, “We’ll see you on Saturday, Chief. Hágoónee' - (see you later).”

“Hágoónee', you two.”, the Chief said.

Ajie came back downstairs and said, “The Chief was surprised when he learned that we were looking at buying the Tl'izilani house.”

“And, more so on how we were going to pay for it and why.”, I said. “I was surprised that he said that he was going to the feast on Saturday to honor Mrs. Tl'izilani.”

“I’m not. I have a feeling that the family is well known in the Nation. And, don’t be surprised as to who’s there.”

“You’re probably right.”, I said. “And, I’m glad that he agreed to help us with the paperwork on the house.”

“Me too.”, Amy replied. “And, he agreed that using our legal names was the only way to go and avoid problems in the future.”

We had time before dinner to practice our karate, so we spent an hour doing that. I know I haven’t mentioned our karate training for a little while, but we’ve kept up with it. And, we have even made it to class at the university as often as we could. And, we should be testing for our Purple belts soon.

After dinner, it was getting things ready for tomorrows classes, and then just relaxing together. As we were relaxing, Amy asked, “Where are we going to practice our karate in the new house.”

“I was thinking about that.”, I said. “Not having a basement is a problem. But, that double deep garage bay has some possibilities. Even with the ‘57 Chevy and dad’s Corvette in there, there will be a lot of room. Then there is enough open space in the back courtyard to allow us to work out in the open air. All we’d need is some mats that we could roll-up when we’re not using them.”

“I like the idea of working out in the courtyard.”

“Let’s not get too far ahead of ourselves. We don’t have the house yet.”

Amy cuddled closer and said, “Yet.”

Tuesday we were back at it. Amy was teaching and then going into the ER, from Noon till eight, for a split shift. I was teaching, going to a grad level class, then working on the project.

A little before eight, I walked into my classroom, and there were a number of my students already there. My antagonist wasn’t one of them. When the first bell, at seven-fifty rang, more students wandered in. When the bell rang at eight, I closed the door and walked up on the stage. I looked at my class, and I saw my antagonist was sitting where he was sitting last Thursday. Then I said, “Good morning, gentlemen. I trust that you all had a good weekend and were able to read your assignment. So, down to business.”

I spent the next fifty minutes lecturing on computer design. Then I dismissed my class without giving a pop quiz.

My second class was just about the same, but I had a couple of good questions out of this group. Then I attended my grad level class. And at eleven I was walking into Dr. Joe’s office. He was there and said, “Good morning, Miss Nez.”

“Good morning, Dr. Oshie. I see that you had your coffee this morning.”

He glared at me a little, then said, “Mary made me go out and buy a new coffee maker.”

“A little self-preservation on her part.”

“Kai!”

“Yes?”

I walked over to the door, locked it, then walked over to the file cabinet. I unlocked the file cabinet and removed everything that I thought that I needed for today. As I walked over to the worktable in Dr. Joe’s office, he said, “That package on the table came for you yesterday.”

“Hmm.”, I said, “Might be the missing integrated circuit socket.”

“I think it is.”

I opened the package, and it was the socket. So, I went to work building the printed circuit for the project. And, I was at the point where I could start taking readings, and everything was looking good.

After a little while, Dr. Joe asked, “Going to take a lunch break.”

“I don’t think so. I’m on a roll. Besides, I have to make up for yesterday. Bring me something back?”

“Sure. What would you like?”

“A sandwich and something cold.”

“You got it.”

Dr. Joe went to lunch, and I continued working on the printed circuit board. I’m thinking one more day, and then we can, keeping our fingers crossed, start some testing.

I did walk Amy home from the hospital at eight.

On Wednesday, things were good. I taught my classes and worked on the project. The only thing that I was waiting on was a call from Amy. She was home, waiting to hear from the bank, about the loan. And from our lawyer, Mary Harman, about the value the county puts on the house. So, as the afternoon drug on the nerves grew.

“Kai?”, Dr. Joe said.

“Yeah.”, I replied.

“Why don’t you go home.”

“Why?”

“I’ve been watching you. And, you are a bundle of nerves.”

“I guess I am.”

“No guess. Go home.”

I sat back, looked at Dr. Joe, and said, “You’re right.”

I put everything away and said, “Well, I guess we can start serious testing tomorrow.”

“That close?”, Dr. Joe asked.

“Yes, that close. But, I don’t want to push it.”

“Good idea. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“See you tomorrow.”

As I walked in the door of the apartment, Amy was hanging up the phone. She looked at me and said, “Dr. Joe just told me that he sent you home for being a bad girl.”

“Wait till I see him tomorrow.”, I said.

I put my things down, and went to go upstairs, when Amy said, “Don’t you want to know why I called Dr. Joe?”

“Oh! You called him.”

“Yes.”

“Why?”

“I heard from Mary Harman.”

“Oh!”

“Yep.”

“And.”

As she handed me a piece of paper, Amy said, “Mary Harman said that this is the value the county has on the house and property for tax reasons.”

I looked at the paper and said, “That much!?”

“Yes.”

“So, the market value is going to be higher than that?”

“That’s what she said. She also said that you couldn’t use the tax value to figure the market value.”

“So, we’ll just have to see what they want for it. But, we know what the taxes will be like.”

“She also said that the property is in the name of Sani Tl'izilani and Dezba Tso. And, that there is no outstanding loan on the property.”

“That’s interesting.”

“She told me that it was done right after Mr. Tl'izilani died and was probably done that way to avoid probate when Mrs. Tl'izilani passed.”

I went upstairs to change out of my teaching clothes and into something comfortable. When I came back downstairs, Amy handed me a glass of wine and said, “This might help your nerves a bit.”

I took the glass of wine, sipped it, and said, “Thanks. Now, all we have to do is wait on the call from the bank.”

“Just sit and relax.”

And, that’s what we did.

At about four-thirty the phone rang, and I must have jumped a foot. Amy got to the phone before I did, and answered, “Hello.” … “Yes, Mr. Edwards, this is Amy Young.” … “Yes, he’s here. Let me get him on the extension.”

I took the hint, ran upstairs, picked up the extension, and said, “Hello, Mr. Edwards. I’m here.”

I heard Mr. Edwards say, “Good. You two threw the loan committee for a loop. They went over the report from your financial advisor, and one of them saw something that I missed.”

“Oh.”, I said. “Was that a bad thing?”

“No, Mr. Young, not at all. They saw the report on the Chief Nastas Todachine scholarship. Then they figured out that the two of you we the driving force behind it. Am I right?”

“Yes, sir, you are.”

“How did you come into all of this.”

“Is that important, Mr. Edwards.”

“Yes and no. No, if you want to keep it private. And, yes, because we don't want to be involved with anything illegal. Whatever you tell me will be kept private within the bank.”

I heard Amy say, “Honey, this is your call. But, I think it wouldn’t hurt to tell Mr. Edwards.”

Then I said, “Mr. Edwards when I was very young, my dad’s parents set up trust funds for my cousins and me. And, my father found an excellent financial advisor to invest my trust, and you see the results.”

“Yes, we did.”, Mr. Edwards said. “We’re impressed in how the two of you have handled your money. And, we feel that the property that you’re looking at is also a good investment.”

“Thank you. That makes me feel better.”

“Feel better, Mr. Young?”

“Yes, having never dealt in real estate before I was a little unsure about everything.”

“I can understand that. Do you have anyone advising you?”

“Yes, Atsa Clah.”

“Atsa Clah, the Attorney General of the Navajo Nation?”

“Yes, Chief Clah is a friend.”

“Oh! Chief Clah?”

“Yes, because he’s the Attorney General of the Nation he holds the title of War Chief.”

“Mr. and Mrs. Young, I don’t think that you will have any problem with this. And, the loan committee has voted unanimously to approve the loan that you applied for.”

“Thank you very much! I have a question for you.”

“And, that is?”

“We know that the property is in the names of Sani Tl'izilani and Dezba Tso. And, we want to take a certified check with us on Saturday just in case the sale goes through. Should that check be made out to them?”

“Yes. And with a notation as to what the check is for.”

“Thank you for everything, Mr. Edwards.”

“You are more than welcome, Mr. Young. Just let me or Mrs. Tillman know what you’re going to need. And we’ll also work with Mr. Clah.”

“That sounds very good, Mr. Edwards. Again, thank you for everything.”

“And, thank you for letting us help you. I hope to hear from you soon.”

“I think that we’ll know on Saturday what is going to happen.”

“So, I should hear from you on Monday?”

“Yes. I’ll call after Amy, and I are finished teaching our classes.”

“That will be fine, or stop in and see us.”

“We just may do that.”

“Good-by, Mr. Young. Mrs. Young.”

“So long, Mr. Edwards.”, Amy said.

I also said, “So long, Mr. Edwards.” and, we then hung up the phones.

Then, I ran downstairs, ran up to Amy, took her in my arms, and we kissed. When we broke the kiss, I said, “Well, now all we have to do is see what they’re going to want for the house. And hope that it’s not too much.”

“I know love.”, Amy said.

“Do we go out to celebrate?”

“I’d say, no. I don’t want to jinx it.”

“Okay, how about if we take the ‘57 Chevy out for a ride and stop for hamburgers?”

“I like that.”

“Call Charlie and Jackie and see if they want to go.”

A short time later we put the top down on the ‘57 Chevy and headed out for a ride. We finally ended up at our favorite drive-in. And Amy and I picked up the check for the four of us. Of course, the car got looked at, and we had a couple of guys walk over and talk to us about it. I also think that they were trying to chat up the three of us girls. Who wouldn’t try to chat up three pretty girls in a ‘57 Chevy convertible? Maybe Charlie was a little bit of a deterrent.

Did we tell Charlie and Jackie about what the bank had said? Yes, but only that the bank had approved our loan.

~o~O~o~

Dear readers, I know that I've been saying that you can log in as 'Guest Reader' to leave comments and you can. But, if you want to leave Kudos, once 'Guest Reader' has left a Kudo you can't use it again. The best way is to have your own Log In and its free. But, donations do help keep this site up. And, don't forget:

Authors like comments. And even constructive criticism. Please leave a comment. Want to comment but don't want to open an account? Anyone can log in as Guest Reader -- with a password of topshelf to leave a comment. Thanks.

up
308 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Great chapter

My5InchFMHeels's picture

Ahhhh, its good to hear about Kai and Ajie again. This chapter had a lot going on in it. It made for a wonderful way to wake up.

Thanks, My5Inch.

Thanks, My5Inch.

It did have a lot of things going on. Our two girls, and something our boy and girl have a very busy life.

Teddie

Thank you for yet another fascinating Chapter in the lives of our favourite couple with all of its wide ranging detail. Your muse seems to be in fine form in guiding you through another lengthy Chapter.

I appreciate the enormous effort and commitment that it is required to produce work of such quality and you can be assured that it is greatly appreciated. A big, big thank you to both you and your family for delivering your work to us despite the pressures of Real Life.

Brit

Hi Brit,

Hi Brit,

My muse has been doing well for a while. I just hope she keeps it up. It's a work of love.

I can see why Mr. Edwards would be impressed

50% down on that large a housing price would have been very rare in those times. Add in the age and tribal customs of barter and economic hardship of the average tribal members... that kind of money was mostly unheard of. I just read an article discussing that the typical income of a Navajo family for this era was reported in the $500 - $1000 yearly range. Some of that figure due to tribal members were not even reporting their income for various cultural reasons.

The other extraordinary thing about Kai is that she is teaching a course in computer design that must have had very few design texts existing at that time.

Add in the trepidation of buying a first house and it strikes a lot of familiar chords. Thanks for continuing this sweet and hartwarming story.

Yes, Wendy K., the Navajo

Yes, Wendy K., the Navajo were and still are a poor people. Some are doing better now, but it's still not good.

Buying this house has been a big step for our two. And, yes a lot of money,

The course on computer design is interesting, and Kai did come up with a few books to chose from. And hopefully, Kai and Dr. Joe picked the correct one.

Story

I don't comment often as typing is hard for me. From the start I have loved this story and the way we are depicted as people. I am ready to read as long as you continue writing it. The flow is great and your time line is spot on. You writing has even made me more observant about our eagle friends. yesterday I had to good fortune to be driving down the road near Beaverton Oregon and had a Bald Eagle fling parallel to me and just above the power lines. This one was perfect with a pure white head and a perfect white v shaped tail. What ever you do please don't end this any time soon as for me I wait for each new chapter with anticipation. Thank You for all the time You spend for our enjoyment and I know You must have studied up on the Navajo people. I am about 7% southern Sioux/Cheyenne.

Seeing an Eagle like that is

Seeing an Eagle like that is an amazing sight. And, I'm glad that you are enjoying my little story.

Thank you, Teddie,

Once again , you have made my day !!You and your story are an absolute delight to this old duck !!
It makes my post/surgical pain a lot less . Thank you .

Hi Guest Reader, I'm glad

Hi Guest Reader, I'm glad that I can help ease your pain. And I'll try not to make you laugh because that can hurt.

Trials and tribulations

Thank you for another great chapter. This was an interesting one with Tom as well as Kai. It looks like both will be making appearances in order to get the house. Will it be a problem keeping everyone straight, I wonder.

Time is the longest distance to your destination.

Thanks, Siteseer. The mixing

Thanks, Siteseer. The mixing of Tom and Kai can get interesting. I even get confused. ;-)

Sixty or Seventy thousand 1960 dollars?

That is worth nearer to 1/2 million 2019 dollars (I googled it). Seems awful high pricefor a home made out of processed mud. Assuming it lasts, which it might, I wonder how things like wiring and plumbing is handled, does it have a concrete foundation? If not Tile or carpeted floors on dirt? There is a new type of wiring to consider post 1984, cat 5 or coax, I put coax in my home for a home network and TV when I was healthy. Does this type of home have central heating and air conditioning in 1950 or 1940(when it was built)?Both Air Conditioning and TV would have been new when this home was built The desert gets very hot and cold, heating via a fireplace is not the best option, the fireplace would have to be made out of brick. Likely they would have gas heat to supplement the fireplace and for cooking.

In 1968 dollars $50,000 is

In 1968 dollars $50,000 is worth $363,362.07 in 2019 dollars. And, remember that a lot of today's high-quality homes in New Mexico are made out of adobe with flat adobe roofs.

Will adobe last? Yes. The main part of the present buildings of the Taos Pueblo were most likely constructed between 1000 and 1450 A.D. It sounds like adobe will outlast a lot of things that we use to build with today.

Because of the weight of the adobe, the foundations are very substantial. And because of the thermal properties of the thick adobe walls and roof, airconditioning is not needed. Most utilities are run under the floors and through the interior walls, which are made with stud construction.

This house was built in the early '60s, so everything is up to date. Heating when it's needed is provided by the fireplaces, one in each small bedroom, one in the master suite, and one in the big room. Hot water is provided by a large hot water heater. And yes the range and cooktop were probably gas.

Dealing with the bank

Jamie Lee's picture

It's always nerve wracking when something comes along that causes a persons' heart to be set on it, only to be turned down at the bank for one reason or another.

Kai and Amy had several factors in their favor, factors which worked in the couples' favor. Of course name dropping didn't hurt.

That Joe and Kai can joke with each other shows the kind of relationship they have. And their results shows how well they work together. And to think, whats-his-butt couldn't find a circuit with a pair of tweezers, and yet Kai and Joe reworked the circuit he was supposed to be working on and were given more.

So now Kai and Amy have to wait to find out the asking price for their dream home. And perhaps because of the help Kai freely gave, the asking price will pleasantly surprise them.

Others have feelings too.

Thanks, Jamie Lee.

Thanks, Jamie Lee.

As always I enjoy reading your comments. I don't reply to all if them, but do when I have something to add.

Teddie