Tommy - The Trials and Tribulations of a Girl? - Chapter 74

Printer-friendly version



Tommy
The Trials and Tribulations of a Girl?

A Novel By Teddie S.

Copyright © 2018 Teddie S.
All Rights Reserved.

Chapter 74
Dr. Whitmeyer again. How can we do this?

We had made a decision on Amy’s scholarships. It was New Mexico. Some people we told were happy for us, some were sad, and some were surprised.

How did I feel about this?

We’d be leaving all of our friends and family, that made me sad. We’d be going to someplace that we loved, that made me happy. We’d probably make new friends our age out there. That was a good thing. I’d be with Amy, and that made me extremely happy. So yes I was happy about this, but at the same time nervous. It was a big move, but we have friends and family out there.

Tonight we were having ice cream with the crew, Maria, Mark, Kelly, and Larry. And we were talking with them about having to go out to New Mexico early because they wanted Amy to take a couple of classes.

We also learned that Kelly and Larry were planning on going out to the resort in early July. And we’d told them about the barbecue.

During that part of the discussion, we hadn't been paying attention to Maria and Mark. That was until, I heard Maria almost whisper, “I wish we could be there.”

I looked at Maria, and she looked sad. She and Mark had been out there and had loved it. And now we were talking about four-sixths of the crew being out there without them. I attracted Amy’s attention, nodded towards Maria, and Amy saw Maria’s sadness.

Amy looked at me, and mouthed, ‘What can we do?’

I mouthed back, ‘I’m not sure.’

I quickly changed the subject to include Maria and Mark.

On the way home, Amy said, “Maria was sad when we talked about the resort. Wasn’t she?”

“Yes.”, I replied. “I even heard her say, ‘I wish we could be there.’”

“Hmm. Not good.”

“No, it’s not.”

“What can we do?”, Amy asked.

“I don’t know. I’d like Maria and Mark to come out at the same time that Kelly and Larry are there. But I know that they don’t have the money. They could stay with us. But how do they get there?”

“How are Kelly and Larry coming out?”

“I figure that they'll be flying.”

“I’ve got to talk to Maria. I don’t want her getting depressed over this.”

“And maybe you could also see if there is any possibility of them getting out there if they stay with us.”

“Good idea, lover.”

As we walked into the house, my mother was in the kitchen and said. “Hi kids.”

“Hi, mom.”, we both said.

“Amy is something wrong.”

“Kind of. Maria is having problems with us leaving. And we were talking about Kelly and Larry’s trip to the resort, and we could see her sadness.”

“Poor dear. I hope that she gets over it.”

“I don’t know if she will or not. We’re trying to figure a way for Maria and Mark to be out there when Kelly and Larry are so that the crew could attend a barbecue together. It might help her accept us going out there.”

“Your friends mean a lot to you. Don’t they?”

“Yes, mom. They do mean a lot to us.”

“That’s good. I hope you work it out.”

“We will.”

The next day, Tuesday, I didn’t have an exam. So, Amy and I went window shopping. We checked on prices of what we’d need for the apartment. I know it was still three months until we’d be in New Mexico, but Amy likes to plan ahead. We priced furniture, linen, TV’s, radios, and kitchen stuff.

When we got home after a stop for lunch, I went and got the mail. Along with everything else, there was a large envelope for me from the Psychology Department of the university. What the heck?

I took the mail in and set it on the kitchen table. Amy saw the large envelope, and asked, “What’s in the large envelope.”

“I don’t know.”, I replied. “But it’s to me from the Psychology Department.”

“Oh.”

I opened the envelope and pulled out a bound booklet that had a cover letter attached. I read the cover letter and said, “I don’t believe this.”

“What?”, Amy asked.

“Do you remember Dr. Grunewald?”

“Of course.”

“Do you remember Dr. Whitmeyer from the seminar?”

“How could I forget him. What he said about Larry’s paper, the Nádleeh (two spirit people), and indirectly you. And how you handled it. What’s he gone and done now.”

“This binder is a copy his paper. The paper he said that he would research and write to apologize to the Navajo people for his incorrect statements. He wants me to read it and comment on it before it's published. He sent it to Dr. Grunewald because he didn’t know how to contact me, and she forwarded to me.”

“Wow. I never thought he’d do it.”

“I knew that he’d done the research, but I’m surprised that he’s going to publish it.”

Amy picked up the binder, looked at the cover, and read out loud, “The Nádleeh. The two spirit people of the Navajo. By Dr. C.E. Whitmeyer, Ph.D.”

“What’s the letter say?”, Amy asked.

“Dr. Grunewald wants me to read and critique the paper in writing. And return everything to her.”

“Okay. Dr. Whitmeyer must be happy with it to be willing to send it to you for a critique.”

“He must. I wonder if he sent one to Naainish?”

Amy opened the binder, looked at the title page, then looked at the introduction, and smiled.

She handed me the binder, and said, “Read the introduction.”

After I finished, I said, “He mentioned the seminar and meeting me without mentioning my name. And at the end, he added, ‘A special thanks to a special person, Miss Kai Nez a member of the Azee'tsoh dine'é Clan of the Navajo Nation and a Nádleeh.’

“He also mentions Naainish.”

“I saw that.”

“Wait. How did he know my name?”

“Naainish?”

“Probably. I’m going to have to wait until after my last final to read this.”

“Can I read it first?”, Amy asked.

As I handed the binder to Amy, I said, “Sure. You believe in the Nádleeh as much as I do.”

After I’d picked up what I needed to read over before my last final, we walked into the den. Amy sat at one end of the couch with Dr. Whitmeyer's paper, and I sat at the other end with my class notes.

It was quiet for about half-an-hour, then Amy said, “Tommy, I think you’ll like this.”

“Really?”, I asked.

“Yes, it’s very good.”

“I’ll read it tomorrow.”, I said and went back to my reading.

When my dad came home from work, Amy handed him Dr. Whitmeyer's paper, and said, “Daddy, you might find this interesting.”

“What is it?”, he asked.

“It’s Dr. Whitmeyer's paper on two spirit people.”

“Dr. Whitmeyer? That rings a bell.”

“It was the guy that Tammy put in his place at that seminar.”

“Oh, that guy. That was over a year ago. Wasn’t it?”

“Yes. But Dr. Whitmeyer's done a nice job on the paper.”

“Let me change and I’ll read it.”

Wednesday morning was my final exam for the winter quarter, and Amy didn’t go to the university with me. When I arrived back home, and I opened the door, the smell was wonderful. I walked into the kitchen, Amy was standing at the oven, she turned, looked at me, smiled, and said, “I thought that you’d like to celebrate your last final with a frybread taco for lunch.”

“I’d never turn one of those down.”, I replied.

“I won’t either.”, I heard my mom say as she walked into the kitchen. “How was your exam?”

“Hard. It was on integrated circuits. But, I think I did okay.”

“Lunch is ready.”, Amy said.

And we sat down to a wonderful frybread lunch.

As we ate, my mother said, “I read Dr. Whitmeyer’s paper. And it was very good.”

“I haven’t read it yet. But I will today, and then I’ll write up a critique. And maybe I’ll hand carry it to Dr. Grunewald. I also want to call Naainish and see if he received a copy.”

After we’d cleaned up the lunch dishes, I found Dr. Whitmeyer’s paper in the den where Amy said it was, and I sat down and read it. I then found a legal pad, and re-read the paper and made notes.

When I finished reading the paper for the second time, I found the typewriter. Then I took the typewriter, Dr. Whitmeyer’s paper, and my notes to the kitchen. I placed the typewriter on the table and my notes next to it. Then I put a sheet of paper in the typewriter and typed up my critique.

When I finished, I reread my critique and liked what I’d written. Amy walked into the kitchen, and asked, “Can I read it?”

As I handed her the paper, I said, “Sure.”

As she read it, she was smiling and nodding yes. When she finished, Amy said, “Honey, that's very nice. And I agree with you. I see that you’re signing it as Kai Nez. Why?”

“I guess it was because of the introduction, and it’s what I felt I should do.”

“Can I sign it too?”

“I don’t see why not. Give it to me, and I’ll type your name on it.”

As Amy handed me the piece of paper, she said, “Use Ajie Nez.”

I looked at her, smiled, and typed, Ajie Nez.

Mom walked into the kitchen, and said, “I heard you typing and didn’t want to disturb you.”

“That’s okay mom.”, I said. “I’m finished.” And as I handed her my critique, I added, “You read Dr. Whitmeyer’s paper. Here’s my critique.”

Mom read my critique, and said, “I agree. It was very good. And I see that you’re signing it as Kai and Ajie.”

“Yeah. We thought that it was appropriate.”

“It is.”

“I’m going to give Naainish a call.”

I picked up the phone and dialed Naainish’s number. The phone rang a few times, and someone said, “Hello.”

I said, “Yá’át’ééh, Naainish. It’s Kai Nez.”

“Kai!”, Naainish replied. “Yá’át’ééh. It’s good to hear from you.”

“And it’s good to hear your voice. How are you?”

“I’m fine. How are you and Ajie?”

“We’re great. The reason that I called was to see if you received a copy of Dr. Whitmeyer’s paper?”

“Yes. It came yesterday. Did you get one?”

“Yes. I just read it, and I think that he did a nice job.”

“He did. I think that my talks with him opened his eyes to who we are.”

“I agree. I wrote a critique of it, and both Ajie and I are going to sign it.”

“That is good. Will we see you this summer?”

“Yes. We’ll be out in late June. But please keep it a secret. There are people who we want to surprise.”

“I can’t wait to see the two of you again.”

“We can’t wait to see everyone out there again either.”

We chatted for another few minutes, then we said, “Hágoónee" (see you later)” to each other. Little did he know that we’d be out there for about two years.

As I hung up the phone, Amy said, “You didn’t tell him that we were moving out there.”

“I know.”, I replied. “I want to keep it as a surprise for as long as I can.”

“You’re something else. I saw Maria this morning.”

“Is she okay.”

“I think. We had a long talk about some things. And she realized that she was getting a little depressed over us going to New Mexico. So we talked about that. And I think that now she’s okay with it.

“I mentioned about coming out and staying with us. At first, it was that she didn’t want to impose on us. And I got a little forceful in insisting that it wouldn’t be an imposition, but a pleasure to have them. But she said that until they were out of college and working that they just couldn’t afford it.”

“I understand. But I sure would like Maria and Mark to come out when Kelly and Larry are there. So what are we going to do?”

“I don’t know yet. But I have a couple of ideas.”

“Care to share?”

“Not yet. I don’t have everything worked out.”

Thursday morning I called Dr. Grunewald’s office and made an appointment for later in the day. So after a stop for lunch at our favorite drive-in, Amy and I drove to the university and Dr. Grunewald’s office.

Dr. Grunewald’s receptionist, after we said who we were, said that the doctor was expecting us and to go on back. We walked down the hall, knocked on Dr. Grunewald’s door, and we heard a “Come in.”

Amy and I walked into the office, Dr. Grunewald looked up at us, smiled, and said, “Hello you two.”

“Hello, Dr. Grunewald.”, I said.”

“The last time that I saw you two, Tom you were a beautiful co-ed, and you were making a shambles of Dr. Whitmeyer’s lame attempt to discredit Mr. Thomas’s paper and me. And you put him in his place.”

“It’s something that I have to do when I know that something’s wrong.”

“So, what can I do for you.”

As I handed her the envelope with Dr. Whitmeyer’s paper in it, I said, “I’ve read and critiqued Dr. Whitmeyer’s paper on the Nádleeh. And I thought I’d bring it back to you in person.”

“Well, I’m glad you did. Can I read your critique?”

“Of course.” I pulled the critique out of the envelope and handed it to Dr. Grunewald.

She read it, and when she finished, she looked at me, and said, “Very nice. And it’s well written. But who is Kai Nez and Ajie Nez?”

“Those are our Navajo names.”

“Oh. I was wondering who this Kai Nez was that he mentioned.”

“Me.”

“Is she as pretty as the Tammy that I met at the seminar?”

“Yes, she is.”, Amy answered for me.

“I figured that she would be.”

Then I asked, “Could I have a copy of Dr. Whitmeyer’s paper and my critique?”

“This copy of his paper is yours. But, I’d like a copy too. I’ll have my receptionist make copies, and I’ll send your critique to Dr. Whitmeyer along with mine.”

“That would be great. Can I have a copy of your critique?”

“Of course.”

Dr. Grunewald had her receptionist make copies, and we chatted as we waited. Then Amy and I headed home. As I drove, Amy read Dr. Grunewald’s critique out load. When she finished, I said, “That was a good critique.”

“Almost as good as yours.”, Amy said.

“You know. I wonder if Dr. Whitmeyer’s still coming to the support group meetings?”

“Why?”

“I’d like to thank him in person for keeping his word.”

“It’s going to have to be in April or May.”, Amy said. “June is going to be too busy.”

“You’re right.”, I replied. “Maybe ask Patty about his attendance, and if it’s not on a regular basis invite him to a meeting.”

“Good thought. I’ll call Patty later.”

Friday, since winter quarter was over, we had Kelly and Larry over for lunch. Yes, a frybread taco lunch. Plus we had something to show them and something else to talk about.

After we’d finished eating, as I got up from the table, I said, “We have something to show you. I’ll be right back.”

I retrieved a binder from the den, and as I walked back into the kitchen, I set the binder down in front of Kelly, and said, “Have a look at this.”

Kelly opened the binder and read the title page out loud, “The Nádleeh. The two spirit people of the Navajo. By Dr. C.E. Whitmeyer, Ph.D.

“Wait! This is Dr. Whitmeyer’s paper. The one that you told him to write as part of his apology. How did you get it?”

“It was sent to me to critique.”, I replied.

“Is it any good?”

“Read it and see.”

Kelly read it and she, like Amy, must be a speed reader. It didn’t take her long to read it. Then she gave it to Larry.

As he read it, Kelly asked, “This is what he was going to write to apologize to the Navajo people. Isn’t it?”

“Yes.”, I said.

“It’s good?”

“Yes. It’s excellent. And Naainish agrees. As does Dr. Grunewald.”

We sat and waited for Larry to finish. When he did, he said, “This puts my paper to shame.”

“Larry! No, it doesn’t!”, I said. “They complement each other. His covers the Nádleeh in the Navajo culture and yours covers one Nádleeh. Me. They both do a good job covering the area that they are meant too.”

“Honey.”, Kelly said. “Tom’s right. They do complement each other very well. But Tom adds another twist. A twist that wasn’t covered in either paper. He’s an enigma.”

“Huh?”, I said.

“Tom, you are mysterious and puzzling. Think about it. Right now you are Tom, a normal guy. Five minutes from now you could be a pretty co-ed with no sign of the guy. That’s puzzling as to how well you can do it. And five minutes from then you could be a pretty Navajo maiden. It’s mysterious as to how people see you. They see the native girl.

“How you do it and do it so well. That’s an enigma.”

“Are you trying to psychoanalyze me?”

“Tom, I’ve tried to do that since I first met you and have gotten nowhere.”

I grinned.

Amy then brought up Maria and her sadness over us moving. And that concerned Kelly and Larry. Then Amy tossed out her idea of the six of us getting together for the barbecue at the resort.

Kelly looked at Amy, and said, “That’s a cool idea. And could be a lot of fun.”

“But how do we get them out there?”, Amy asked.

“I’d be willing to buy them airline tickets.”, I said. “But I’d be afraid that they’d take it wrong.”

Kelly and Larry looked at me, and Larry said, “You would do that. Wouldn’t you?”

“Yes. And I’d do it for you too. And don’t take it wrong. It’s not charity. It’s trying to share something that I love with people that I love.”

“And I bet that you don’t expect it to be paid back.”

“I don’t. I just hope that at some time in the future that the person that I help can do something for someone else. Like I do with the scholarship.”

“The scholarship. What do you do there?”

“We ask, not require, that if you are awarded the scholarship that you consider spending five years within the Navajo Nation helping your people.”

“Where did this benevolent attitude come from?”, Kelly asked.

“I don’t know. It just appeared one day.”

“Tom has always been the helpful kind of guy.”, Amy said. “Even back in junior high, he was that way. But I’ve seen more of it since he found his Navajo spirits.”

“How do I offer something to Maria and Mark without hurting their feelings?”, I asked. “If there is anyway, I’d love them to be there for the barbecue with the four of us.”

We just sat there in silence until Kelly said, “What if Larry and I talk to them?”

“What would you say?”, Amy asked.

“I don’t know yet. I have to think about it.”

“See what you can do.”

“We will.”

We talked about Maria and Mark a little more then there was a knock at the front door. I went to the door, and it was a mailman. He had me sign for the envelope, and then he handed me a large Special Delivery envelope. I thanked him and looked at the envelope, and it was to Amy from the University of New Mexico’s College of Nursing.

I walked back into the kitchen, and as I set the envelope down in front of Amy, I said, “A package for you M’Lady.”

Amy looked at it, and said, “This will make it official.”

“Official?”, Kelly asked.”

“It’s our paperwork for the University of New Mexico.”

“Oh. But, Special Delivery?”

“Yeah, the lady from the College of Nursing wanted to get things done.”

As Amy set it aside, she said, “We’ll worry about this later.”

Kelly and Larry left just after my parents arrived home, as they were meeting Larry’s parents for dinner.

After they left, my mother saw the Special Delivery envelope on the counter, and asked, “Who’s envelope?”

“Mine.”, Amy replied.

“Oh, it’s from New Mexico.”

“It’s our paperwork for the university.”

“I see.”

“It’s kind of scary.”

~o~O~o~

Dear readers, Remember authors like comments. And even constructive criticism. Please leave a comment. Want to comment but don't want to open an account? Anyone can log in as Guest Reader -- with a password of topshelf to leave a comment. Thanks.

up
310 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Now it gets real.

Monique S's picture

the decision is made and the paperwork has arrived, I don't see any turning back. How much time of being Tom will there be, when Kai is in New Mexico with her tribe? And how will it affect Aije?

Can't wait to see this beautiful story continue.

Hugs,
Monique.

Monique S

Thanks, Monique, And it will

Thanks, Monique, And it will be interesting how things affect Ajia, if at all.

Change is scary

and this is a big change.

Oh, is it.

Oh, is it.

I don't recall if Maria and

I don't recall if Maria and Mark are in college or not; however if they are, a good "cover story" for getting them out to New Mexico would be the two of them being offered summer jobs at the Resort, by Tom's Aunt and Uncle. Then they would be required to come there to be interviewed and do employment paperwork. Tickets would be provided to them. Just a thought I guess.

All six go to the same

All six go to the same university. And that would be an interesting storyline having them work at the resort

Mark and Maria

My5InchFMHeels's picture

Tom and Amy are missing the most obvious thing.... it's going to take a truck (small U-Haul) to get their stuff to New Mexico.... they have a 57 and a 61 Chevy.... Tom can drive the U-haul, with Amy driving the 61 or even the 57, but they need another driver... gas would have to be covered by the moving couple, and plane fare home... Simple! Mark drives the other car, and Maria rides along!

Let's see. The only things

Let's see. The only things the kids own are clothes and the two cars. So a U-Haul truck would be overkill. Then there's the problem of coordinating this for when Kelly and Larry would be out there. It's like herding cats. ;-)

OOOH!

Monique S's picture

I never tried that herding cats! Sounds an interesting concept (giggles).

Monique S

I have a Border Collie that

I have a Border Collie that just might, on a very good day, be able to accomplish it.

Teddie

Issue with their plot

Jamie Lee's picture

Tom and Amy are moving to New Mexico for Amy's Masters degree schooling. Larry and Kelly are going thanks to Tom and Amy's wedding gift. The only two left are Mark and Maria, and none of the four have come up with a plan that can get them to New Mexico without the two turning down the offer.

What are Mark and Maria doing for the summer? Most likely working to increase their bank account for college. But where are they working? Might there be two openings available at the resort? And might there be transportation included with the jobs?

Planning ahead is a good idea when it comes to furnishing the apartment, but they should wait and buy what they'll want until they get to New Mexico. Otherwise they will have to rent something to haul it all, and both will have to drive. Plus gas for two vehicles.

Others have feelings too.