Tommy - The Trials and Tribulations of a Girl? - Chapter 164

Printer-friendly version



Tommy
The Trials and Tribulations of a Girl?

A Novel By Teddie S.

Copyright © 2019 Teddie S.
All Rights Reserved.

Chapter 164

The box and the FBI. Getting hit on!?
The Rio Grande River Trail.


This thing with the research project and knowing that I’ve seen it before was getting to me, I’ve spent a lot of time in the university’s library going through their technical publications.

Everything else was going good. Classes were going great. I was enjoying teaching my two classes and even taking my grad-level classes. Dr. Joe and I had decided to move forward with the research project, so we started designing the circuit. But, my heart wasn’t in it as I knew that we were reinventing the wheel.

Then on the second Friday of classes, I was in the library digging through some more technical publications. Everything was going good until a Mr. Smith walked up and introduced himself. I’d had an awful feeling about this guy.

Mr. Smith had told me that he knew all about me, Tom Young, my other self, and Amy. I didn’t have a problem with him until he mentioned Amy. Then I saw red.

He told me that he and his friends would keep the relationship between Kai and Tom Young quiet if I’d provide them with a copy of our research project. He warned me not to go to the police. And, that I would be receiving something early next week.

Dr. Joe and I talked, and we decided to contact the FBI. We’d met with two agents, and at first, they had problems accepting who Kai Nez is. But, after speaking to my Uncle Gaagii, they had no issues accepting what I’d told them. One of the agents had worked with my uncle when he was Chief of the Navajo Nation Police Department, so he knew him. Now, all we had to do was wait for Mr. Smith to contact me.

When I told Amy about Mr. Smith she was not happy, and I wanted to be careful about talking about it, or anything around the apartment, Dr. Joe’s office, and the lab. Amy had suggested that she and I speak Navajo around the apartment. Oh, Great Spirit I love this girl so much.

Then I’d found it, I had found the article that was our research project, and it was the first design of a Navstar (GPS) receiver. One that wouldn’t work. I knew it. I knew it. I knew it. I showed it to Dr. Joe, and he agreed that we should wait until the situation with Mr. Smith was resolved to find out what was going on, but we should tell FBI Agent Adams about it.

Monday after my classes, I stopped by the Engineering College’s office and checked my mailbox. There was nothing in it. As I went to walk out of the office, Sara, the Dean’s secretary, called out, “Hey, Kai. Hang on a minute.”

I turned and looked at her.

Then she said, “There’s a box here for you. It wouldn’t fit in your mailbox. It just came in, and I haven’t had time to put a note in your box telling you that it was here. Sorry.”

“That’s all right, Sara.”, I said as I walked over to her desk. “You are one busy lady.”

“I’m glad you understand.”

“I do.”

“You’re one of the few.”

Sara handed me the box, and there was no return address on it. The only think on it was a typewritten label that said: Miss Kai Nez, c/o The College of Engineering, The University of New Mexico

Sara, then said, “A courier delivered it.”

“Really.”

“That’s unusual. But, it happens once in a while.”

“Hmm. I wonder what it is.” As if I didn’t know.

I slipped the box into my briefcase, thanked Sara, and headed to Dr. Joe’s office. As I walked into the office, I said, “Hello, Dr. Oshie.”

“Oh, hello Miss Nez. Ready to get back to work on the project.”

As I took the package out of my briefcase, held it up, and pointed to it, I said, “I just stopped by to tell you that I needed to run an errand. And, I thought that you might like to go along.”

“Sure, I could stand to get out of here of an hour or two. Do we need to drive?”

“Yes, do you think you could drive?”

“I’d be happy to.”

Dr. Joe and I left his office, and we stopped at a payphone. I called the number on Agent Adams’s business card and spoke to him for a minute. When I got back in the car, I told Dr. Joe that we weren’t going to the FBI office but to a small restaurant to meet with Agent Adams. I gave Dr. Joe the address, and he said he knew the area, but hadn’t heard of the restaurant.

I told Dr. Joe that Agent Adams had said to drive around for a little while to be sure we weren’t being followed and give them twenty minutes to get there. And that’s what we did. Finally, we found the street then started driving down it looking for the restaurant.

When we found the restaurant, we parked the car, walked over to the restaurant, and in the front door. Agent Hernández was sitting at a table where he could see the door and the front of the building through the front window. We saw Agent Adams seated at a table at the back of the restaurant with a woman. As we walked up to him, Agent Adams stood up and said, “Dr. Oshie. Miss Nez. It’s good to see you again.”

“It’s good to see you too, Agent Adams.”

“So, you have something for me?”

Before I answered, I looked at the woman, and before I could ask, Agent Adams said, “I’m sorry. This is Agent Stephanie Greathouse. She’s in charge of our laboratory.”

Then I said, “Yes, I have a box for you.”

I opened my briefcase, removed the box, and set it on the table. Ms. Greathouse, took the box, and asked, “Who’s handled this?”

“As far as I know.”, I said. “Sara, the Dean’s secretary, the courier that delivered it, and myself.”

“Stephanie.”, Agent Adams said. “Go ahead and open it.”

Stephanie opened her purse, took out a case and a pair of rubber gloves. She put on the rubber gloves, opened the case, and removed what looked like an Exacto knife. Then we watched as Stephanie carefully cut the tape holding the brown paper around the box. She carefully folded the paper and put it in a bag. She then removed the top of the box.

There was a sheet of paper folded on top of the contents of the box. Stephanie removed the paper, unfolded it, and set it down in front of Agent Adams. Agent Adams read what was on the paper, and said, “This guy is an amateur.”

“An amateur?”, I asked.

“Yeah. Instead of setting up a drop, he wants to meet you on Wednesday evening at a park by the river.”

Agent Adams turned the paper so that I could read it. As I read it, I almost laughed as I said, “I know this area where he wants to meet very well. We hike the trail that he is talking about all the time. I even know the bench that he’s talking about. And, I know a ranger that might be of some help.”

“What’s his name?”

“Lieutenant Zimmerman.”

“Yes, I know him. Will he know your name if I mention it.”

“Oh, yes. He’ll remember me.”

“What’s near this bench?”

“There are some groups of trees within twenty or so yards of the bench which is close to the river. And, there are a few groups of trees across the trail away from the river.”

“How close is this bench to the river?”

“Maybe ten or fifteen yards.”

“Could someone hide in those trees and not be seen?”

“Yes. Mr. Smith might know that too.”

“I’ll go there early tomorrow and have a good look around.”

“So, you’ll be there Wednesday evening?”

“We’ll be there.”

“Agent Adams.”, Ms. Greathouse said.

“Yes.”, Agent Adams said.

“There’s also a camera and a couple of rolls of film in the box, and it’s a rather cheap Kodak Instamatic camera.”

“I really think this guy is an amateur. Miss Nez, are you sure you’ve never seen him before?”

“Positive.”, I said. “I’m good at remembering names and faces.”

“Miss Nez, we’re going to take the box, and its contents back to the office with us. And, see what kind of evidence the lab can get off of it.”

“Fine. And, I will have it back by Wednesday afternoon?”

“Yes. And, when you get to the bench where Mr. Smith wants you to meet him, we’ll already be close by. Just go along with what he says.”

“I will.”

“The sunset is around five-thirty, so at seven it’ll be dark. You don’t have any problems being out in the dark do you?”

“No, I have a flashlight.”

“Besides.”, Dr. Joe said, “She knows Karate.”

“That so? I just earned my red belt.”

“Congratulations. My cousin and I are ready to test for our blue.”

“Well, good luck. And, I hope that you never have to use it.”

“All ready have.”

“Sorry to hear that.”

“Thanks.”

“One last question, Agent Adams.”, I said. “How did they find out about the relationship between Tom Young and me?”

“That’s a good question, Miss Nez.”

“I know, that what worries me.”

On the way back to the university, Dr. Joe said, “I sure wish I could do this for you.”

“Dr. Joe.”, I said. “I don’t think you’d look good in a long skirt and blouse.”

“Kai!”

“Sorry. But, I need to kid around right now.”

“I understand. The nerves are getting to you. Aren’t they?”

“Starting to. They’re starting to have young. I hope the FBI comes through.”

“They will.”

“But, how did they find out about Tom?”

“We may just have to ask them.”

After this I’d had it for the day, I walked with Dr. Joe from the parking lot to his office, grabbed my briefcase, and headed to the apartment. Amy was there, and as I walked in the door, she looked at me, smiled, and said, “Ayóó aníínísh’ní, Kai Nez.” - (I love you, Kai Nez.)

I smiled back at her and said, “Ayóó aníínísh’ní aldó’, Ajie Nez.” - (I love you too, Ajie Nez.)

Yes, we were back to speaking Navajo.

And, I told her about the package and the meeting with the FBI.

“Kai.”, Amy said. “I’m so worried that something is going to happen to you.”

“Honey.”, I said. “The spirits won’t let anything happen to me. They know that if they did that they would suffer the wrath of Ajie.”

“Kai, how can you joke at a time like this?”

“I need to. I even did it with Dr. Joe on the way back to the university. I told him that he wouldn’t look good in a long skirt and blouse.”

“Why did you tell him that?”

“He’d said that when he wished that he could take my place.”

Amy just shook her head, then kissed me.

Later as we were eating dinner, I said, “What am I going to do tonight?”

“I don’t know. Why?”, Amy asked.

“I don’t have to search anymore for that article.”

“If it wasn’t dark and cold out, I’d say we could go for a walk.”

“Better yet, let's start a fire in the fireplace and just cuddle in front of it.”

“Kai! We don’t have a fireplace.”

“Yeah. I guess that’s a bad idea. The university wouldn’t like us starting a fire in here.”

“I don’t think that Charlie and Jackie would like it either.”

“Tell you what.”, I said. “I’ll buy you an ice cream cone.”

“Where?”

“In the student union.”

“You’re kidding?”, Amy said.

“No.”

“Let’s go.”

As we walked out the door, I said, “Let’s see if Charlie and Jackie want to go?”

“They are going to know for sure that you’re crazy.”, Amy said.

We walked over to Charlie and Jackie’s apartment and knocked on the door. It took a minute, but Charlie answered the door. And, before he could say anything, I said, “Hi. We’re going for ice cream. Grab your coats and come with us.”

“Are you crazy. It’s cold.”, Charlie replied.

“Yes, she’s crazy.”, Amy said. “Just try to humor her.”

Charlie turned, and said, “Honey, crazy Kai wants to go for ice cream.”

We heard Jackie say, “Sounds like fun. I’ll get our coats.”

“Where are we going?”, Charlie asked.

“Just to the student union.”, I replied.

A short time later we were walking into the student union and to the student lounge. We went to where they serve ice cream, Amy got a vanilla cone, and I got a strawberry milkshake. No, they don’t make ginger ale milkshakes here. And, Charlie and Jackie got their ice cream.

The lounge was crowded, so we had to look around for a table. We finally found one, sat, talked, and ate our ice cream.

We’d been sitting there a few minutes when two boys walked up. I figured, here we go.

One of the boys, looking at Amy and me, said, “Hi. I’m Jerry, and this is my friend Dave. And, you two look lonely.”

“We do?”, I replied.

“Sure. You should be with a guy.”

“Jerry, I said. Amy here is engaged. And I have a boyfriend that I’ve been with since high school.”

Looking around, Jerry asked, “Where are they?”

“In the military. They were drafted?”

“Well, then you still need a guy.”

“Jerry, how old are you and Dave?”

“I’m eighteen and Dave is nineteen.”

“Well, Amy and I are both twenty-three. So, I think that you’re a little young for us.”

“I like older girls.”

“What are you studying?”

“Dave is working on a business degree. And, I’m in engineering.”

“Which engineering?”

“Electrical.”

I smiled as I said, “Jerry, we’re both grad students, and I’m also an instructor. And, I teach electrical engineering. And, I don’t think it would be good for a student to date someone who could be his instructor one day.”

His eyes got big, and he stammered, “You … You … Your that girl professor that I’ve heard about.”

“Jerry, I’m not a professor. I’m an instructor.”

“I’m … I’m sorry.”

“It’s okay, Jerry.”

The two boys quickly backpedaled away from the table. And, the four of us had a good laughed over it. And, Jackie said, “I think you popped his bubble.”

“Maybe. If I did, he’s young. He’ll get over it.”

Charlie was sitting there, just looking at me. I looked at him, and said, “What?”

“It’s just the way you talk to people.”, Charlie said. “Some girls would have just told him to get lost. But, you at least talked to him.”

“Thanks. I don’t like to hurt people.”

“Do we look younger than we are?”, Amy asked.

“I would say that you both look to be twenty, not twenty-three. And, sometimes you act younger.”

“We won’t be twenty-three until July. And, our birthdays are only seven days apart.”

“Yeah.”, I said. “And, she’s the old one.”

That got me a punch in the arm. As we finished our ice cream, I said, “Let’s get out of here before we get hit on again.”

We walked back to the apartments and went our separate ways after exchanging hugs. As we walked into our apartment and closed the door, I said, “I needed that tonight.”

“What getting an ice cream cone?”

“No, getting hit on by those two guys.”

“Why?”

“It was funny. Seeing the reaction of that one kid when he figured out who I was.”

Amy turned, threw her arms around my neck, and kissed me. A long, deep, kiss.

As we broke the kiss, I asked, “Not that I’m complaining, but what was that for?”

“That was because you are you.”, Amy replied. “And, because I love you so much.”

“My lady. You are so special. You are my whole life.”

I’ll let you guess what happened tonight. And, I’ll bet that you’ll have no problems figuring it out.

All I can tell you about Tuesday is that it was normal if you can call waiting for Wednesday evening to come normal. I wanted it over with, but it felt like it was getting here too fast. Time was flying.

Wednesday was here, and as we got up, Amy said, “You were restless last night.”

“Sorry, honey.”, I said. “You should have woken me up.”

“It’s okay. I know that tonight is worrying you.”

“You could say that.”

“Everything is going to be fine.”

“It’s just happening so fast.”

“That’s a lot better than it dragging on.”

“You’re right.”

We both have classes to teach, so I walked with Amy to her eight o’clock, then just walked around campus and was almost late for my nine o’clock. My two classes flew by, and I hope that what I talked about was what I was supposed to talk about.

After I went to my grad-level class, which I don’t remember anything about, I went over to Dr. Joe’s office. He wasn’t there, so I let myself in. There was a note on his desk that said, ‘Kai. There’s a package in the Dean’s office for you. Dr. Joe.’

I walked down to the Dean’s office, and I saw Sara, and she saw me. Sara said, “Hi Kai, did you get the message about the package?”

“Yes, Sara.”, I said. “I did.”

Sara got up, went to a cabinet and took a package out of it. As she handed it to me, she asked, “Kai, are you okay?”

“Yeah. There’s just too much going on right now. But, hopefully, things will slow down after today.”

“For your sake, I hope so.”

“Thanks, Sara. I’ll see you later. Have a good day.”

“Bye, Kai.”

I walked back up to Dr. Joe’s office, and I noticed that the light was on. The door was unlocked, so I just walked in. Dr. Joe looked up from his desk, and said, “Hello, Miss Nez.”

“Hi, Dr. Oshie.”, I replied.

Then I pointed to the box that I was carrying. Dr. Joe nodded. Then he said, “Are you ready to get back on the project?”

“I don’t think so, Dr. Oshie. I’m not feeling well, and I think that I just want to go to the apartment and lie down for a while.”

“I understand, Miss Nez. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Yes, sir. I hope so. So long.”

“So long, Miss Nez. Take care.”

I walked slowly to the apartment. As I walked up to the apartment, I noticed a truck from the electric company outside, and it appeared that they were working on the electrical lines.

Amy was home, and as I walked in the door, she asked, in Navajo, “Why are you home.”

“I didn’t want to work on that lousy project and have what’s going to go on tonight in the back of my mind. My heart just wasn’t in it.”, I replied in Navajo.

“I wish we had some of that sangria that you made for New Years.”

“We don’t. But, I would think that you’d want to be on the top of your game for tonight.”

“You’re right. I’d better keep my mind clear. I think I’m going to try to take a nap.”

“Okay. I’ll be quiet.”

Before I went upstairs, I opened the box that I’d picked up from the Dean’s office. In it was the note from Mr. Smith, the camera, and the rolls of film. And, a note from Agent Adams.

The note from Agent Adams said:

’First the electrical truck that’s by your apartment is our people.

‘We’ve gone over the box and the contents, and found some interesting things.

‘We also photographed a technical manual with the camera, so the rolls of film are exposed.

‘I’ve spoken to the people at the parks department, and they speak highly of you.

‘And, try to stay out of the way when we show ourselves. We don’t want you getting hurt.

‘You won’t see us, but we’ll be there.’

And, it wasn’t signed.

I looked at Amy, and said, “That electrical truck outside is the FBI.”

“Why are they here?”, she asked.

“I guess to look after us.”

I went upstairs, stripped, crawled onto the bed and under the covers, and I was able to sleep for a little while.

When I got up, it was almost five. So, I guess it was longer than a little while. I got dressed, panties, my bra and forms, I wore a blouse and a pair of pants. I didn’t want to take a chance on ruining a skirt. Instead of moccasins, I wore a pair of sneakers. I put my long hair into a single braid. Added a little light makeup, and there was no jewelry except for the meteorite necklace.

Amy was sitting on the couch, and she watched me walk down the steps. When I reached the bottom, she asked, “Get any rest?”

“Surprising, yes.”, I replied.

“Do you want any supper?”

“No, thanks. I’m not hungry right now.”

“I can understand that. Do you want me to go with you?”

“I’d love you too, but he may be watching.”

“You’re right.”

I went and got the box with the camera and film in it. I looked over the box and contents carefully, and both rolls of film were exposed. Then I put everything back in the box.

I walked into the small room, opened the safe, and took out one of the .45 semi-automatics pistols, two clips, and a box of ammunition. Amy saw me, and asked, “You’re not taking that. Are you?”

“Yes.”, I said. “I’m going to be in a park, at night, and with someone that I don’t know. I want all the protection that I can get.”

“The FBI will be there.”

“I know.”

“Okay honey.”

I filled the clips with cartridges, checked the gun to be sure that the safety was on, put one of the clips in the gun, and loaded a round into the chamber. I dropped the clip out of the gun, added one additional cartridge, and put the clip back into the gun. This gave me nine rounds. And, I had another full clip to put in my pocket.

Just before I was ready to leave, I strapped on one of the holsters, slipped the gun into it, and snapped the cover down. I put on my heavy winter coat, and you couldn’t tell that the gun was there. I slipped a flashlight and the extra clip into a coat pocket.

As I went to pick up my purse and the box, Amy walked up to me, and in Navajo said, “You’re not getting out of here without a kiss and a hug.”

I looked at her, and said, “That was the next thing that I was going to do.”

And, we shared a long kiss and hug. When we broke the kiss, Amy said, “Kai, I love you. Please be careful.”

“Sweetheart.”, I said, “I love you too, and I’ll be back as quickly as I can.”

I walked out through the kitchen door, got in the car, fastened my seat belt, opened the garage door, started the car, and drove out of the garage. As I drove onto the street, instead of the electrical truck, there was a van parked on the street.

I thought, ‘Well I bet that Agent Adams knows I’m on the way.’

It was a quick drive to the parking lot for the trail along the Rio Grande River. The lot and the trails are open from Sunrise until ten in the evening. So, usually there are people here until about ten in the evening, but being the middle of January, it was cold. So, there were only two other cars here. I parked at the right at the trailhead, sat there for a minute, and then got out of the car.

I slipped the strap of my purse, that contained the box, over my shoulder, took a deep breath, and started down the trail. The Moon was just past full, so except for a thin high cloud cover there was a lot of Moonlight, so the trail was easy to see. I walked to where the first bench was, followed the path off the trail to the bench, sat, and waited.

It wasn’t long until I heard footsteps on the trail. If this was the guy, he sure didn’t know how to walk quietly. Soon a sensed someone behind me. Then he walked around to the front of the bench, and he said, “Miss Nez, I see that you were smart enough to follow my instructions. And, I assume that you have something for me.”

I opened my purse, removed the box from it, and handed it to him. He took the box, opened it, looked at the rolls of film, and said, “I see that you did as you were told. That’s good.

“Now, I want you to sit here for ten minutes after I leave and then you can leave. Do you understand.”

“Yes.”, I replied.

“Good. We’ll be in touch when we need anything else.”

“What!”

“Did you think we’d allow such a valuable resource like you to get away after only one time.”

“But, you said, … “

“What I said, and what we do are two different things.

“Now, just sit there for ten minutes, then you can leave.”

I felt the gun through my coat, and thought, ‘If the FBI wasn’t here … ’

He walked away, and I heard his footsteps on the trail heading back towards the parking area.

A short time later, I heard someone yell, “This is the FBI. Stop and don’t move. … I said, stop and get down on the ground. … I said down on the ground. … Stop.”

Then I heard people running back towards me. I got up from the bench and made it to the trail just as someone, running, approached from the direction of the parking area.

I could see some others running behind him with flashlights.

I waited in the shadows of the trees, that were just off the trail until the first figure was almost to me, then I stepped out onto the trail in front of him. He hesitated for a second, then went to shove me out of the way. The next thing I knew, I was standing over him, kicking him.

Very quickly there were five men with me all dressed in dark clothes, carrying guns, and flashlights. And, I heard Agent Adams say, “Miss Nez. Miss Nez. Stop. He’s down. Stop kicking him.”

I looked up into Agent Adams eyes, and I said, “Why should I?”

“Let us take over.”

“I guess.”

Quickly three of the men were down with Mr. Smith, had him handcuffed, and were searching him. One of them said, “Agent Adams, he doesn’t appear to be armed. And, he’s unconscious.”

“Okay, get us an ambulance.”

“Yes, sir.”

“Does he have any identification?”

“I’ll check.”

Then looking at me, Agent Adams said, “You did say you had a black belt in Karate. Didn’t you?”

“No, sir.”, I replied. “My cousin and I are testing for our blue belts in a couple of weeks.”

“You moved so quickly. I don’t think he knew what hit him. Are you all right?”

“My elbow is a little sore.”

One of the other FBI agents walked up, handed Agent Adams a wallet, and said, “Here’s his wallet.”

Agent Adams took the wallet and started looking through it. At one point, he stopped looking at the wallet, looked at me, and asked, …

~o~O~o~

Dear readers, Remember authors like comments. And even constructive criticism. Please leave a comment. Want to comment but don't want to open an account? Anyone can log in as Guest Reader -- with a password of topshelf to leave a comment. Thanks.

up
291 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Arg...

Now I have to wait until the next chapter to see who this joker is. As I was reading the story I kept looking at the progress of the browser scrollbar. I kind of figured that there might be another cliffhanger. Bad Teddie!... Bad! ;-)

You never disappoint

You spin a good yarn... for those that don't speak backwoods redneck that means she tells a good story. So Smith has been apprehended and Kai put him in the hospital I wouldn't be surprised if that bastard that ran the initial background check on her is involved and pursuing a personal vendetta against Kai while trying to profit off of her. I can't wait a whole week for the next chapter

EllieJo Jayne

Now. Now, EllieJo Jayne. It

Now. Now, EllieJo Jayne. It won't be a week. The longest that it's ever been between chapters was 9 days back in November when I had my surgery. And, like with grapes, that you never pick before their time, a chapter is never published before its time. ;-)

Now, who is spearheading this attack against Kai? We can go back to Chief Peshlakai. Could it even be Dr. Whitmeyer, who attempted to discredit Larry's paper? Maybe it's Mr. Uintillie the student that wrote the letter to the Board of Regents? Is it someone from the Board of Regents? Is it Mr. Bellamy who originally tried to do the background check for Los Alamos? Is it the boy, Kenneth Kowalski, who stole the exam? And, there are others. So, many twists and turns. My muse is even confused. ;-)

Teddie, your muse will only

Teddie, your muse will only be confused if she has been sniffing the fumes of the high octane fuel she is running on currently :-)

Of course he...

My5InchFMHeels's picture

Of course he asked..... Is there a ledge for my feet near this cliff edge.

Maybe.

Maybe.

"This guy's an amateur". In

"This guy's an amateur". In-house security departments are neither geared nor trained for recruiting and running agents/spies, but they are trained and equipped to carry out personnel security background checks. So I stand by my comments in Chapter 163 that the Department oOf Dirty Tricks is the Low Alamos Security Department, or a very upset member looking for payback.

Oh my. I'd say that Brit was

Oh my. I'd say that Brit was set in her belief on what's going on. Is she right or wrong? Time will tell.

Hi Teddie, I'm only following

Hi Teddie, I'm only following the trail that you left. I just hope it's not up a blind canyon.

Wonderful Teddie,

' but very naughty of you keeping us in suspenders like this :) Can't wait for next week ,I'm in suspended animation ---or something !!

Hopefully not in suspended

Hopefully not in suspended animation. If you are, you'll never get anything done. Maybe you're waiting with bated breath?

Being in suspenders can be

Being in suspenders can be very nice with nylons :-) but to break off in mid sentence is downright cruel :-(

No, not that kind of

No, not that kind of suspenders, i.e. garter belt. But, frozen in time. ;-)

Trials and tribulations

Kai got to release some of her tensions at least. I hope she doesn't feel bad about it afterwards. It does seem likely it's someone associated with Los Alamos but we'll all just hang around on this cliff waiting to find out. I am glad that new chapters appear regularly I've had my patience tested by authors on occasion but not here, thank you for that. I am eagerly waiting for the next chapter.

Time is the longest distance to your destination.

Thanks, Siteseer. I hope I

Thanks, Siteseer. I hope I never have to test your patience.

Patience

I've had authors make me wait for years for that next book. One made fans wait after having his character shot and disappearing into lake Michigan. You cause me no stress at all just happiness when I see a new chapter.

Time is the longest distance to your destination.

Big grin!

Big grin!

The guy is a professional .... moron!

Monique S's picture

I could not stop laughing at the amateurish setup. A courier ... could rememeber where and from whom the packet came and in any case he/they should at least have investigated their subject a little. Nobody knowing Kai would have expcted her to simply comply. I think that moron will remember Kai for quite a while to come.

Now to the question? Of course the agent is asking whether she knows a Mr. so and so but she already said she doesn't by the looks of him. Maybe he has something in his wallet that indentifies where he came from or works? If yes, even more moron he! And then the super-moron would be his employer.

As to the sat nav ... maybe someone is hoping for Kai to ingeniously find a cheap solution?

And, Teddie, love, this one doesn't even challenge my acrylics I am sorry to say.

Cuddles nevertheless,
Monique.

Monique S

It's All About Time...

It wouldn't be until 1973 that it would work.

Right. But, it was being

Right. But, it was being worked on in the late '60s

>> I could not stop laughing

>> I could not stop laughing at the amateurish setup. A courier ... could rememeber where and from whom the packet
>> came and in any case he/they should at least have investigated their subject a little. Nobody knowing Kai would
>> have expcted her to simply comply. I think that moron will remember Kai for quite a while to come.

True, a regular courier would remember that. But, if the courier worked for them. And, these people don't, or didn't, know Kai that well.

>> Now to the question? Of course the agent is asking whether she knows a Mr. so and so but she already said
>> she doesn't by the looks of him. Maybe he has something in his wallet that indentifies where he came from or
>> works? If yes, even more moron he! And then the super-moron would be his employer.

People are stupid. And, I don't think or Mr. Smith was expecting a little girl to be this smart.

>> As to the sat nav ... maybe someone is hoping for Kai to ingeniously find a cheap solution?

And, she probably could. But, at this point, the problem in the first design was already fixed, and Kai knows this.

>> And, Teddie, love, this one doesn't even challenge my acrylics I am sorry to say.

I guess I can't win them all. I'll have to try harder.

Party Time.

I never carried my weapon chambered unless the situation was emergent.

:)

Gwen

Well, I think Kai wasn't sure of

Well, I think Kai wasn't sure of the situation and wasn't comfortable with meeting this guy.

Also, when you're dealing with the Mountain People (bears) you need to be prepared. A bear can cover 50 feet in 1 second. Uphill, downhill, and on the flat. So, drawing a gun and chambering a round in the face of a charging bear probably isn't a good thing.

There's always one in the chamber

in anything I'm relying on for my safety. I know it's generally not 'protocol', but condition 4 is the fastest to deploy.

Mr Browning is my hero...

Yeah, I get the intent; I'm just difficult by nature :-)

Steve

Always a pissing match with Gun Folk.

I was Military Police, and saw that 1911 discharged accidentally much more often than you'd ever guess, mostly on Guard Mount. The uncertain thing is deciding what is normal and what is emergent. Perhaps it would have been better to chamber that weapon as Kai got out of the car?

It's not my story, I was not there, but I doubt that anyone would have gotten me into that park at dark. Though, one time I did draw and chamber it in the dark, and the assailant almost pissed himself.

I like this story a lot. I just didn't expect to get tried on. Sorry Teddy.

Gwen

I do carry a 9mm S&W and we

I do carry a 9mm S&W and we were taught to carry it chambered. So, that's where that came from in this story. And, you're right she should have waited unit she was ready to get out of the car.

Why Should I?

smdani4mm's picture

I liked that line the best.
Dani

SmDani4

""and asked, …""

Hypatia Littlewings's picture

Eeeeekk!
*pops her wings open and goes into an emergency glide*
Dam, good thing I can fly!
Stupid Cliff!

I only see two possibilities for the ID to mean anything on first site, a relative of someone Kai does know, or official ID as an agent of a govt security organization.

>i< ..:::

Or, maybe ...

Or, maybe ...

I'm glad to see all of your

I'm glad to see all of your responses Teddie as I thought that with the Chapter breaking off in mid-sentence that you had fallen over your own unsignposted cliff edge :-)

Oh, no. No, cliff for me. I

Oh, no. No, cliff for me. I was just saying that there were more possibilities.

Speculation

Teek's picture

With all this speculation going on, I am starting to do some myself. The cliffhanger leads us to do this . No one seems to be mentioning that there might be a link between the silly assignment from Los Alamos, to this bribe to get her to reveal information.

Was the assignment a test?

Was the assignment linked to the blackmail?

Will Teddie ever end a chapter just after the big reveal, instead of just before?

As much as cliff hangers have a love/hate relationship with us readers, I bet Teddie is loving how much it drives us crazy. I'd say that makes her mean or sadistic, but I have done cliff hangers before with posting story chapters. I better be careful of what I say about authors who put in cliff hangers.

Keep Smiling, Keep Writing
Teek

Hmm. I just may have to put

Hmm. I just may have to put a cliff hanger in that hangs over an endless abyss just for Teek. Am I mean? No. Am I sadistic? Ah, maybe a little. Do I have fun? Of course.

Teek, your Speculation.

This has already been raised in the comments to Chapter 163 so you are not the first to think along these lines Teek :-)

So Mr. Smith

if indeed that was his real name has bee whooped.

Yep

Yep

Oh no! Not again!

I just got my nails and teeth fixed after the last one...
PS: Nice chapter... just need to book my manicurist and dentists again ;-)
PPS: It is very typical of the agencies to be not exactly there when they are actually needed... Hopefully they will not try to prosecute Kai for being there with a gun...

Send me the bill.

Send me the bill.
Luckily for someone, the FBI was there when needed.
Even today New Mexico is one of the least restrictive gun law states. I'm not sure about concealed laws in the 1960s.

Concealed weapon

Kai didn't need to draw the pistol; she used karate to subdue "Mr. Smith." The law enforcement agents might not even realize she was carrying. And laws about concealed carry, if there were any in New Mexico then, would have been state laws, not the concern of the FBI.

Booooooo!

Cliffhangers are a cheap trick. Like a make-you-jump moment in a thriller.

You're too good a writer and this is too good a story to need to resort to such tactics.

*grump, grump, murffle, grouch, mumble, sigh*

Sorry, Mischief, but I don't

Sorry, Mischief, but I don't consider cliffhangers a cheap trick.

The trials of a girl and Tommy...

Seemingly the person is someone Kai could possibly know.
I am amused that someone had not anticipated Mr. Smith running back in the other direction. I am glad Kai didn't need the gun. I know a person such as Kai are always sure they can handle the situations. But if the FBI heard her shoot or saw a flash from the gun, things could get ugly fast.

I like knowing there is something coming that I'll want to know. 164 and going strong.

Hugs, Jessie C,

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

Thanks, Jessie C.

Thanks, Jessie C.

Mr. Smith didn't make it far enough back up the trail for us to find out if there was someone waiting for him. He ran into Kai first.

And, you are right, gunshots in the dark wouldn't have been good.

Overdue Comment

I seldom comment - sorry, but enjoy good reading. I binge read Tommy - TTG for the first 75 or so chapters when I found it, and loved the story. It got even better when Tommy/Kai got to NM, the Native American theme is interesting and unusual (only Nuuan has offered anything similar). The two chapters a week you put out are a highlight of my week that I look forward to; your output regularity is greatly appreciated. In addition your writing is excellent and your editing is especially flawless.
I was reading a thread about writers that had disappeared and realized that I owed you some positive feedback beyond the Kudo I always leave. Your mostly silent but appreciative fan.
BigJohn1066

Hi BigJohn1066,

Hi BigJohn1066,

Thank you for the nice comments. They help me keep my focus on the story, and they are appreciated, as are the Kudos.

Now over 100 comments for

Now over 100 comments for Chapters 163 and 164 combined. That is real involvement by your readers and a great tribute to your authorship Teddie. This is a superb story that could run for ages yet, which would be a delight to so many.

That is a great number of

That is a great number of comments.

I'll keep writing as long as it feels good and I can.

You know,

You are way too good at those cliffhangers,lots of practice no doubt.

Hang on Sloopy. Sloopy hang

Hang on Sloopy. Sloopy hang on.

Honestly, I've tried to calm them down a little.

Butt with a map

Jamie Lee's picture

Whoever this moron is, he couldn't be a pro at this blackmail game or he and his buddies(?) would have been following Kai around and known she contacted the FBI.

Also, he wouldn't be carrying any type of ID just in case something went wrong, like what he just experienced. Kai should have kicked him south of his belly button.

Others have feelings too.