Tommy - The Trials and Tribulations of a Girl? - Chapter 111

Printer-friendly version



Tommy
The Trials and Tribulations of a Girl?

A Novel By Teddie S.

Copyright © 2018 Teddie S.
All Rights Reserved.

Chapter 111
The resort. Albuquerque.
What’s wrong? What’s Happened?

We had found that Dr. Kilmer, who had taught the two courses that I was going to teach, had used out of date textbooks. And we were now scrambling to get new textbooks. And through all of this, I think that the Dean of the Engineering College has figured out some things about me. Not that I’m a Nádleeh, but that I’m a very confident person. At least Kai is.

When we made it to the resort, we had dinner in the restaurant with my aunt and uncle. Then we set up the display case with Grandfather Nez’s silversmith tools and some pieces of his work.

Saturday morning, Ajie and I had hiked to the pond by the remote hogan and spent time reading. Ajie was reading a book she brought, and I was reading textbooks.

During lunch on Saturday, we found out, from Naainish, who the old sheep rancher was. He was Naainish’s shizhé’é. (father)

After lunch, we talked a little more with Naainish about his father or shizhé’é. He told us a lot of interesting things. Even about growing up on the sheep ranch as a Nádleeh or a two spirit person. If it was possible, I gained more respect for Naainish.

When Naainish was leaving, I hugged him, and said, “I appreciate you sharing your family with me.”

“Kai.”, Naainish said, “I look at you and Ajie as family.”

After Naainish left, Ajie and I headed for one of the thermal pools. As we soaked in the pool, Ajie asked, “How far did you get with the second class?”

“Not very.”, I replied. “It’s a more technical class. And I figure it’s going to take another two hours or so.”

“Do you want to work on it this afternoon?”

“No. Right now I’m doing what I want to do. Being with you and relaxing.”

“I love you. Do you want to work on it Sunday before we go back to Albuquerque?”

“That may be good. Maybe go back to the pond. That was a nice quiet place, and it was easy to work on it there.”

“It was nice and peaceful there. I still have a little of the book that I’m reading to finish, and I can take that.”

“So right after breakfast tomorrow?”

“Sure.”

We soaked for about half an hour, then went back to the house, and took a shower. Yes, a together shower. Then we decided to take a short hike. We went up the cliff trail and stopped to see the little tree. The tree was looking good. Then we hiked the trail that went past the pueblo ruins. That trail is only about a mile and a half long. But there are ways to add to it and make it longer, and we did that. We made the hike a slow one, and we’d stop and look at things. The rattlesnake that we found startled us a little, but we were far enough away from it that we didn’t have to worry.

When we finished our hike, we stopped in the restaurant for something to drink. Then we walked through the hotel’s lobby on the way back to my aunt and uncle’s house. We saw someone talking to the desk clerk and pointing to the display case with the silver in it.

Then we heard the desk clerk say, “I’m sorry ma’am, but there is nothing in that case that's for sale. It’s on display as a representation of the Navajo silversmith’s work.”

The woman became more insistent, and the clerk picked up the phone, dialed, and I heard her speak to my uncle. Ajie and I then walked over, and I asked, “Is there a problem here.”

“Miss Nez.”, the clerk said. “This lady is insisting that we sell her the silver that’s in the display case. And I explained to her that it’s only on display.”

“Yes, I heard you tell her that.”

“Are you the manager?”, the woman asked.

“No. We just happen to own what’s in the case.”

“I’d be willing to offer you top … ”

“Stop. Don’t you remember the last time that we met that I told you that I would never sell any of my grandfather’s work.”

“I’ve never met you before.”

“Yes, Mrs. Caroline Thomas, you have. In Sike Yazzie’s shop in Taos.”

“Oh! Yes, now I remember. You … you were related to someone.”

“Yes, to Kilchii Nez.”

“Oh yes! Is that his work in the case?”

“Yes.”

“I’d love to buy … “

“I’m sorry! But, for the last time, nothing is for sale.”

Just then my uncle walked up, and asked, “Is there a problem?”

“Yes.”, the woman said. “I would like to buy a piece of the sliver that’s in the display case. And they won’t sell it to me.”

“For a good reason. It’s not for sale.”

“But I’ll pay top dollar for it.”

To keep the family connection out of it, I said, “Mr. Biakeddy, I’ve explained to this lady that nothing, in that case, is for sale.”

My uncle picked up on it, and said, “I know Miss Nez.” Then my uncle looked at the lady, “Ma’am, Miss Nez won’t sell any of her silver. So, please take no for an answer and leave.”

The woman just turned on her heels and walked out of the lobby.

Then I said, “We’ve run into her before at Mr. Yazzie’s shop in Taos. And she wouldn’t take no for an answer then. I just stood up to her as we did here, and she just left.”

“She shouldn’t bother you again.”, my uncle said.

I grinned, and said, “Oh, Mr. Biakeddy, thank you, kind sir, for riding up on your white horse and saving the day.”

My uncle just shook his head and just said, “Kai!” Then he walked back towards the house.

Then I said to the room clerk, “If she gives you any more trouble, call Mr. Biakeddy and the sheriff. And thank you for standing up to her the way you did.”

“I’ll do that, Miss Nez.”, the room clerk said. “And thank you for helping me.”

Ajie and I walked back to the house and found my aunt and uncle in the living room. My uncle looked at us, and said, “Girls, do you think we need to put a not for sale sign in that case?”

“Might be a good idea.”, I said.

“I was thinking of some small signs or something to tell people what they’re looking at.”, my aunt said.

“I like that idea too, Aunt Ruth. Maybe something that describes what a Navajo silversmith is.”

“I’ll see what I can do.”

Ajie and I had missed lunch, so we threw together a light lunch. Then we sat out on the patio and just cuddled together for a while watching the clouds.

As we were cleaning up after dinner, I asked, “Uncle Paul, are you still doing bonfires?”

“Yes.”, Uncle Paul replied. “On weekends.”

“Good.”

“Want to meditate.”, Ajie said. “Don’t you?”

“Yeah.”

“Can I join you?”

“Honey, you never have to ask.”

Ajie and I changed into fancy long skirts, fancy blouses, and wrap moccasins. Then she braided my hair into two braids and added fancy wraps to the ends. They hung over my shoulders. I braided her hair into a single braid down her back with a fancy wrap.

We both went with the braided leather headbands with the eagle feathers. Ajie wore the silver bone choker that my grandfather had made. I went with the bone choker with the Concho. We both wore Concho belts and squash blossom necklaces. A few rings and bracelets. I wore the round silver earrings with gold feather earrings, and Ajie wore one of the sets of beaded earrings.

Yeah. We both felt like dressing up.

As we walked into the living room, my aunt saw us and said, “Girls you always look so nice.”

“Thanks, Aunt Ruth.”, I said. “There are times that we both feel like dressing up.”

“It does feel good to do that. Doesn’t it?”

“Oh yes.”

Just as it was getting dark, we walked to the area of the bonfire with my aunt and uncle. As we got closer, we noticed that the fire wasn't burning. And Ajie said, “There’s no fire.”

“I know.”, Uncle Paul said. “I thought that you two might like to light it tonight.”

“Really.”, I said. “Thank you. That would be nice.”

When we got to the stack of wood, that was laid in a tepee style, I handed the rug that I was carrying to my aunt, and Ajie and I walked close to the stack of wood with my uncle. He told us that they cheated a little and there was a little kerosene at the base of the fire to help it get a good start. He showed us where to light it, and handed us two long wood matches and something to strike it on.

Ajie and I both struck our matches and together touched them to the spot that my uncle had shown us. The kerosene lit and the wood near it ignited, and with the help of the kerosene, the kindling soon had the larger logs burning.

Ajie and I slowly backed away from the fire as it grew.

We stood there with my aunt, uncle, grandmother, who had joined us, and some guests. Then my aunt handed me the rug, and said, “Go and meditate.”

I took the rug from her, and Ajie and I walked to the other side of the fire. I spread the rug on the ground, and Ajie and I sat.

I cleared my mind and concentrated on the fire. And I started a quiet chant. Then I heard another voice join in the chant. Ajie?

We finished the chant and continued to meditate. Finally, Ajie and I looked at each other, we got up, I picked up the rug, and we walked back to the other side of the fire.

A woman, one of the guests, walked up to us, and said, “Girls that was beautiful. I’m glad we were here to witness it.”

“Thank you.”, I said. “This area is sacred to the native people, and the medicine is strong.”

“The man explained that to us. Your chanting was also very nice. Thank you.”

“It was our pleasure.”

We stood around until the fire started to burn down, talking to other quests, and having our pictures taken. Then we headed back to the house. We sat on the patio with my aunt and uncle enjoying the stars and looking for shooting stars, and we told them our plans for tomorrow. That after breakfast, we were going back out by the remote hogan, and I was going to work on my book for class, and Ajie was going to read. And then after lunch, we were going to head back to Albuquerque.

My aunt and uncle finally said goodnight and went to bed. Ajie and I stayed out on the patio until she started getting cold, then we went to bed.

Sunday morning, Ajie and I were up before my aunt and uncle, so we made breakfast. And I guess our cooking was a wake-up call for them.

After breakfast Ajie and I drove over to the pond by the remote hogan, there was a chance of rain today, and we didn’t want to have to walk back to the house in the rain.

It took me about two hours to finish what I wanted to do in the book for the electronic circuits and systems course. Ajie had finished her book and was taking a walk around the pond. When I finished, I picked up everything and put it in the car, and then started walking around the pond in the opposite direction that Ajie had gone. We met after I’d only gone about one-third of the way around the pond. And Ajie said, “It’s pretty here.”

“Yes, it is.”, I replied. “And peaceful.”

We walked back to the car and headed back towards the house. When we walked in grandma was there, and we shared the usual hellos. My uncle said that we were going to the restaurant for lunch. He and I argued a little over who was going to pay. I won the argument for once, and he finally agreed that I could pay for lunch.

We had a nice chat as we ate, grandma was very interested in what we were doing at the university. Soon after we’d finished eating, Ajie and I were heading towards Albuquerque. We had shopping to do, shopping for clothes for school.

We parked downtown and started walking down the street towards the department store. Our first stop was a shoe store. We came out of there with each of us having a pair of shoes with a short heel, a garter belt, and some nylons.

Further down the street, we happened across a lingerie store. And it was an upscale store, and Ajie and I were dressed in hiking shorts, blouses, and sneakers. We received a real look from the staff. Then one of them walked over to us, and said in a haughty way, “Can I help you, girls? You’ll find our less expensive things are over this way.”

I looked at Ajie. Then I said, “I don’t know. Can you help us?”

“Excuse me?”

“No. Excuse me. We’re not girls. We’re young women. You come to me with an attitude like you did, and I’ll just take my business where it’s appreciated.”

“I … I … ”

“Yes, we have money to spend. But we’re going to take it someplace else. And we’ll be sure to tell our friends.”

Ajie and I turned and walked out of the store. We walked further down the street and found another lingerie shop. As we walked in, we were greeted by an older lady, who was very pleasant and said, “Welcome ladies. What can I help you with?”

I looked at Ajie, and said, “That was a nicer greeting than we received down the street.”

“Yes. It was.”, Ajie replied.

“Oh my.”, the lady said. “What happened?”

“We stopped in the shop down the street and weren’t greeted very nicely.”

“What was said?”

“It wasn’t what was said, but how it was said. It was like we were second-class citizens.”

“Oh. I welcome everyone the same way. I appreciate everyone's business.”

“Well, I know where we’re shopping from now on.”, I said.

“Now, what can I do for you?”

“Well.”, Ajie said. “My friend here has a little problem. She isn’t very well endowed. If you know what I mean?”

I felt my face get warm.

The lady looked at me, and said, “Honey, don’t be embarrassed. There are a lot of ladies that have that little problem. Come with me.”

We followed her to the back of the store and a showcase. In that case were both breast forms and padded panties. The lady pulled out a set of breast forms out of the case and showed them to us. And asked, “Is this size correct for you or would something a little bigger be better?”

I looked at Ajie, and she said, “I think that those are the size you use. And I also think something a little bigger might be better.”

The lady put that set back and took out another set, and asked, “Would you like to try them?”

I quietly said, “Yes.”

The lady showed us to a changing room, and I tried the breast forms in the bra that I was wearing. And they were a little bit bigger. Ajie’s comment was, “I think that you will look better with a little more on top. But you’ll need a new bra or two. I’ll be right back.”

Ajie left the changing room and was back in a few minutes with three bras. I tried the three bras with the new forms, and two of them worked well. So along with a new set of forms, two new bras, and two more pairs of padded panties we left the shop. The lady was happy that she had two new customers, and we were pleased that we’d found a good lingerie shop. And that we had a recommendation of a good shop that sold suit dresses like we needed.

We went back to the car, and put our purchases in the trunk. Then we drove off to the shop that the lady at the lingerie shop had recommended. When we left there, we each had three blouses, two skirts, and a skirt suit. The skirt suits are a matching skirt and jacket.

I figured that we’d be back for more clothes since I was teaching five days a week, and Ajie was teaching three days a week. At least I’d be able to run back to the apartment to change before going to work on the research project. I hope.

We took all the new clothes back to the apartment and put them away. Then we figured out what to do for dinner. We’d eaten out the past few days, so we decided to eat in. Then it was a relaxing evening before bed.

Monday after I walked Amy to the hospital, I went back to the apartment and gathered together all my books and note on the two classes. A little after eight I called the Engineering College’s Dean’s office and asked for Sara. I told her that I’d gotten everything together that I’d need for the first week of class, and wondered when we could get together to get started on it. She told me that nine this morning would be good.

At nine I was walking into the Dean’s office. Sara saw me and said, “So you got everything put together for the first class.”

“No.”, I replied. “I was able to do it for both classes.”

“You must be a workaholic.”

“No. I just found a tranquil place where I could work undisturbed. I did the first class and part of the second on Saturday morning and finished the second class on Sunday morning.”

“Sounds like you know the ideal place.”

“I think it is.”

“Care to share?”

“It’s the thermal springs resort northwest of Santa Fe.”

“I’ve heard of that place. How did you find it?”

“My aunt and uncle run it.”

“Nice.”

The other secretary had been listening, and said, “Hi Miss Nez. I’m Jerry, and if I can be of help. Let me know.”

Sara then said, “Jerry and I talked, and she’s willing to help.”

“Good.”, I replied.

“In fact why don’t we do this. I’ll do the one class, and Jerry can do the other. That way we’ll be sure to have them done by the time classes start a week from Tuesday.”

“That sounds good. I hope the books are in by the end of the first week because the second class gets more technical after the first few chapters.”

“That would be good. But we’ll do what we need to do.”

“I really appreciate this. Can I ask one more favor?”

“Sure.”

“I want to give a short quiz the first day in both classes, and I have that written up. It’s only one page of ten questions. Could you type that up for me and make copies?”

“No problem.”

“We’re going to get a typewriter, so we can type up our stuff. Especially when we work on our master’s theses.”

“We do typing on the side on a per page basis. And we’ve both done a number of masters and doctoral papers.”

“Oh. I’ll keep that in mind.”

I spent a couple of hours with Sara dictating what I wanted to be able to hand out the first week of class. Then after lunch, I spent a couple of hours with Jerry. None of what I dictated was copied from the books. I paraphrased it all.

When I finished dictating to Jerry, Sara handed my my quizzes with the copies that I’d need. I smiled at her, and said, “That was quick. Thank you.”

“We aim to please.”

I wasn’t able to pick up Amy at three, and I’d told her that I might not be able to, as I was hoping to dictate the parts of the two books that I needed to. And she understood.

I was back at the apartment a little after four, and Amy was working on dinner. She asked, “Well, how did it go?”

“Good.”, I replied. “I got it all dictated, and they should have it typed up so that I should be able to proofread it on Thursday, and if it’s good, then the copies could be made. Plus they got those two quizzes done while I was there.”

“That’s wonderful.”

“It will be a load off of my mind when those books get here. Plus I think we need to get a typewriter.”

“That might be good.”

That night Amy took those books entirely off my mind.

Tuesday after I'd walked Amy to the hospital, I came back to the apartment and started doing some housework. At about nine the phone rang. I answered it, and it was Dr. Joe, and he asked me to come over to his office. I told him that I could be there in about fifteen minutes.

I checked my makeup, what little of it that I wear. Then grabbed my purse, locked up the apartment, and headed for the university. I walked up to Dr. Joe's office door and knocked on it. I heard a, “Come in.”

I walked in, and said, “Hi, Dr. Joe.”

“Hi, Kai.”, Dr. Joe said. “Have a seat.”

As I sat, I said, “So, what’s up.”

“Dean Miller and I talked. And he said that you and he talked about you being known to the University as Kai. At least while you’re teaching.”

“Oh.”

As he handed me an envelope, he said, “Here’s your new student ID card and a copy of your transcript as the University now knows you.”

I opened the envelope, looked at my new ID card, it had my name as Kai Nez and my sex as female. The transcript also had me as Kai Nez. I looked at Dr. Joe, and asked, “How?”

He smiled, and said, “It’s called administrative magic.”

“Can … Can … Can it be changed back?”

“I suppose so if you want it changed back. Do you?”

I sat back in the chair, and said, “I don’t know. It’s … It’s kind of permanent.”

“You're not sure that your Kai?”

“I know that I’m Kai. At least out here, I want to be Kai. But what if I go back home?”

“Kai. Why not worry about that if it happens?”

“I guess your right. We did talk about changing things to Kai, and I’m going to be out here for at least two years.”

“At least.”

We talked some more about my two classes and what I’ve done. And about the research project. Dr. Joe said that he’d looked at some of the papers for the project and wanted me to look at them too. So he handed me a manila envelope, and said, “Look this over when you get some free time in the next week or two.”

“Okay.”, I said.

When I picked Amy up at three from the emergency room, she quickly picked up that I was too quiet. So, she asked, “Honey, what’s bothering you.”

I reached into my purse, took out my wallet, and handed Amy my new university ID card. She looked at it, and said, “Oh.”

“Yeah, oh.”, I replied. “I never asked them to do this. We talked about it, but I never said to do it.”

“I know. But, think about it. Isn’t it better this way since you’ll be teaching as Kai out here, that they know you as Kai?”

“Maybe. I hope that it can be changed back. If I want it changed back.”

“If they can go from Tom to Kai, they should be able to go from Kai to Tom.”

“I hope that you’re right.”

We went to the drive-in for dinner, and our friendly carhop was there, so I had to fend him off. Luckily he got busy.

Wednesday morning, after walking Amy to the hospital, I was sitting at the kitchen table looking over what Dr. Joe had given me on the research project. My name change at the university was also tumbling around in the back of my mind. At a little after nine the phone rang, I answered it, “Hello.”

I heard Amy’s voice say, “Tommy. It’s Amy.”

“Hi, what’s up.”

“Tommy, you’d better get over to the ER right away.”

“What’s wrong?”

“Just get over here and tell the receptionist that you’re looking for me.”

“Please tell me what’s going on?”

“Honey. Just get over here.”

After I locked the door, I literately ran over to the emergency room. I knew something was wrong. I told the receptionist that I was looking for Amy Young. She told me to have a seat and that she would get her. I couldn’t sit. I paced.

A minute later Amy and her friend Kathy walked out from the ER, I walked over to them, and said, “What’s wrong? What’s Happened?”

“Let’s go into one of the side rooms.”, Amy said.

“No, tell me here.”

“Kai, no. Come with us. Please.”

Amy and Kathy led me to one of the rooms that they use to talk to families.

I thought, ‘This can’t be good.’

As Kathy closed the door, I said, “Will someone, please tell me what the hell is going on?”

Amy said, “Honey …

~o~O~o~

Dear readers, Remember authors like comments. And even constructive criticism. Please leave a comment. Want to comment but don't want to open an account? Anyone can log in as Guest Reader -- with a password of topshelf to leave a comment. Thanks.

AttachmentSize
Image icon snake.jpg314.94 KB
Image icon bonfire2.jpg662.24 KB
up
281 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Cliff hangers

That was just mean, Fortunately I know you won't leave us hanging for long.

Only just one of the 1539 possibilities...

But for some reason I think I know what it is about... Everything else could have been told over the phone. I just don't see an urgency... Apart from teasing readers... But we read your story anyways!

ManicRacer, Depending on what

ManicRacer, Depending on what it is, some things are better told in person. And it also depends on who it is.

Welllll...You surprised me.

It was sad to read, but I discarded the option you used as "too soon after the first time and chief's death"...
So... Do you have some ashes you can send my way? I will pour them over my head in shame...

Grandma's heart attack was in

Grandma's heart attack was in June of 1965. Chief Todachine died in early 1966 and it's now September 1967.

And sorry no ashes.

Back to your practising?

Monique S's picture

You naughty Teddie!
Interesting chapter of a lovely story.

Hugs,
Monique

Monique S

Thanks, Monique. You know I

Thanks, Monique. You know I can't resist a cliffhanger. ;-)

Hijinx

My5InchFMHeels's picture

Up to your old tricks again I see.... Welcome Back! :-P

Yup

My5InchFMHeels's picture

The Devious You took a break, and let us have some sentiment.... Just welcoming back the Cliffhangerer!

A gurney hanger...!?

Donna T's picture

Just when things seem to be going so well... you changed up your 'cliff hanger' and now gave us a gurney hanger! Sheesh! Could the medical ER condition be... ?? a miscarriage?

Maybe you could release the next installment a day or two early? Thanx for a great story.

Donna

Hi Donna,

Hi Donna,

I like that, a gurney hanger. Me publish a story early ... Nah.

Hanging

A cliff hanger! I do hope to see another chapter soon, kinda addicting. Love the twist and turns in the story, leaves you wondering what could happen next... and its so nice to be wrong... when you think you know :)

Hi Bree,

Hi Bree,

Sometimes I'm even wrong when Kai decides to go in a different direction then I was taking it.

Thanks for the nice comments.

Stumped

Truly and cornfusidly. Kai sounds like she is about to bust a gasket, so I hope you don't leave her hanging too long. At least she's in the ER if they have to administer first aid.

What are we going to do with you

Joslyn D's picture

What are we supposed to think of this bit Teddy, I mean they just put the stuff from Kai’s Grandfather on display and that woman has a hissy fit because she can’t buy it so maybe she clobbered her uncle to steal it, then there’s the fact that they had some fun at night during the weekend so the possibility of Amy being pregnant, but there might be another outcome of maybe something happened to Naainish or someone else that they know maybe the brother of Kai’s uncle.
At any rate Teddy just so you know having to wait for the next chapter is enough of a cliff hanger as it is, you don’t have to ad a cliff hanger to keep at least my interest.
But thanks the chapters are great.

Thanks, Joslyn.

Thanks, Joslyn.

There are just all kinds of possibilities. Aren't there?

Teddie

Proof is in the pudding

Jamie Lee's picture

Tom/Kai has now proven she wants to teach those two courses based on what she has done to get updated text books and the hand outs she had copied until the books arrived. And even volunteering to pay the freight charges to get the books sent air freight. Had she not wanted to teach the classes none of all this would have been done.

Now she's in a quandary because Kai will always be around because of teaching the classes. Is this quandary because of needing transcripts in the future as Tom Young? Or maybe because she fears losing Tom's identity? Or maybe Amy even though she says she deeply loves both people?

Others have feelings too.