Six Forty-Five, Part 1

Printer-friendly version

Six Forty-Five Part 1

The day before everything went crazy, I lay in bed, watching my alarm clock as it hit six forty-five. I knew that in five minutes my alarm would be going off, so it was useless to try and fall back to sleep, and yet I was in no hurry to leave the warmth of my bed. I know that for most people, it would be pretty weird to have your alarm set for ten to the hour instead of on the hour or on the half-hour, but I have a lot of little quirks like that, and most of them dont make any sense, even to me.

Finally, I sighed, and got out of bed.

I started getting dressed, which for me involves a very specific routine I HAVE to follow, or I get super-anxious. I always get dressed socks first, then underwear, then pants, and lastly shirt. I cant seem to mix up that order if I want to stay calm.

I do my teeth, and go down to the kitchen to make myself breakfast. As usual, nobody else is around, so I just have cereal. My mom and step-dad both have jobs that start early in the morning, so I take care of myself, like I’ve been doing for the last couple of years.

“You’re a big boy, sweetie. I trust you to take care of things.” Is what my mom told me, and I dont ever want to let her down.

I do that often enough.

Once I’m done, I put back the cereal and milk where they belong and rinse out my bowl and put it in the sink. I do a quick check to make sure I haven’t left a mess, and then I grab my jacket and start heading toward school.

As always, I’m the first one there. Sometimes, I have to wait until the janitor comes to unlock the door, but I dont mind.

He never says much to me, just unlocks the door and goes in, and lets me do my thing. We’ve been doing this routine since I was in grade seven, and so by now, two years later, there aren’t a lot of surprises in it for either of us.

I’m not fond of surprises.

Once inside, I do a circuit of the whole building. I go down the hallways, and into some rooms. One of the rooms I always go into is the girl’s change room to get to the gym, even though I’m a boy.

The first day I was here, I was afraid I’d get in trouble going where no boy goes, but not going through the change room made me hyperventilate, and in any case there’s nobody here to get mad at me anyway, so I just go in.

Its honestly not anything special, not really different from the boy’s change room I use for gym, except that there are spare cheer uniforms hung up inside. I touch the skirt of one, feeling the fabric, and then put it back on the hanger.

I ache to put it on, but I cant.

Bad things happen to boys who wear skirts.

I do a circle of the gym, and go back through the girl’s change room to get back to the hallway.

I never visit the boy’s room except when its gym time.

I go back down the hall, and stop at the door of my first class for the day. I sit down with the door to my back, and pull a book out of my bag, and start to read.

I read until the teacher comes to let me into the class. I love reading, especially fantasy and science fiction books. I have a special library card that lets me use the adult section of my local library, and I’m working my way through their entire collection.

Again.

The day before everything went crazy was a pretty typical day for me. I get kicked, punched, and tripped pretty much every time a teacher isnt watching over me. I also get reminded how much of a sissy freak fag I am, in case I might have forgotten since yesterday.

At lunchtime, I sit in my little corner of the lunchroom, near the teacher responsible for watching over us. As always, no one sits on either side of me.

Whatever I’ve got, apparently they think its catching.

The day drags to an end, and I quickly walk home, and for once I make it there without getting beat up.

At suppertime, my step-dad does his usual, and yells at me for not being more manly.

Like I hadn’t tried.

Like I enjoy being a sissy fag freak.

Finally, I stared crying, and run to my room. I shout “I wish you all would just GO AWAY!” and slammed the door.

I cried myself to sleep, not realizing that the next day would be the day everything went crazy.

*****

up
119 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Six Fourty-Five, Part 1

A good start,you have set the scene in a very concise way.thank you and I look foreward to the next chapter.

devonmalc

thanks, Devonmaic

I'm glad you enjoyed it.

DogSig.png

Powerful.

Can't wait to see what it means "everything went crazy".

Sounds quite familiar... Though I managed by the end of my first year of high school to have a reputation for being the one kid who, even though everything in a bullies nature screamed to pick on me - you didn't. Never knew what the response would be...

I also did have a handful of friends, there were enough social outcasts at my high school that we managed to form our own little clique.

Anyways.... yeah... what happens to make everything go crazy?

Abigail Drew.

btw...

did you realize you have this marked as solo and completed? accident?

Abigail Drew.

yes, accident

there will be a part 2, I promise.

DogSig.png

You certainly know...

...how to grab me and leave me waiting breathlessly. Now where is this going, what is going to happen, is it personal, is it world wide, is it physical, is it mental. Head spins with possibilities. Hope the next episode comes soon.

Nicely done. Thank you..

thank you, Thera

I'm glad you like part 1

DogSig.png

Intriguing Start...

It should be interesting to see how someone this consumed by stress deals with major changes, positive or otherwise. Depends, I suppose, on whether he's "simply" overstressed by his present circumstances or it's an OCD condition.

Plenty of places this can go; the last two paragraphs brought the "be careful what you wish for" genre to my mind.

Eric

"be careful what you wish for"?

Maybe. Not gonna give it away, though.

Thanks for the comment Eric.

DogSig.png

Thank you Dorothy,

A good beginning and you know where you will take it from here,past history perhaps?

ALISON

a lot of my history is in this piece

more than I actually intended at first. Yeah, I know where I'm going, but I got to actually write it ...

Thanks for commenting, Alison

DogSig.png

I see serious trouble ahead

I'm wearing my virtual seat belt and hemet-bring it on.

Why do I get the feeling this is gonna hurt?

Wren

"Serious trouble ahead"?

maybe, Wren. We'll all have to see together, wont we?

DogSig.png

Six Forty-Five, Part 1

Poignant

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Give in... darlin'!!

Next time you're in the Girls' room, give in to the temptation! It will change your life.. Great things happen to boys who wear skirts!!! Love Ginger x

Setting alarms for ten till...

I do that all the time, lol. Gives me time to just lay there and convince myself to get moving.

I have alarms set for ten to the hour and ten to the half hour... both... '50's and '20's... Yeah... I'm odd.

Abigail Drew.

I did the same

I used to also have my clock set up to ten minutes fast so I would always be early for everything ..

DogSig.png

Reading This

>> I know that for most people, it would be pretty weird to have your alarm set for ten to the hour instead of on the hour or on the half-hour, but I have a lot of little quirks like that, and most of them don't make any sense, even to me. <<

was the first time I ever thought about how others set their alarm clocks! I always start with when I have to be somewhere, then subtract what ever time I guess that it'll take me to get ready and to travel there. I usually round off to the nearest five minutes. Why would anyone wish to round off to the nearest half hour? It makes me think that if someone would not have quite enough time (to get ready or whatever) if the alarm was set on the hour, for example, the person would have to set the alarm for the next earlier half hour. This could result in missing 20 or 25 minutes of sleep! (woops, I was rounding off to the nearest 5 mins.)

Once, as a kid of 8 or 9, in the bathroom with my dad (he was shaving, I was pooping), he said "I'm really a non-conformist!" I proudly said "I'm a non-conformist, too." He, Mr. "I'm in construction management", might not have conformed in some little ways, but I was obviously the more non-conforming. I never even thought setting my alarm clock was one of the ways that I non-conform. It's trivial compared to how else I'm different!

Hugs and Bright Blessings,
Renee

interesting story Renee

Not only did I have my alarm set to odd times, I would put the clock ahead up to 10 minutes ahead so I would never be late. Oddly enough, a lot of my little quirks are gone now, I think I unconsciously decided I dont need them anymore ...

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

DogSig.png