Magic Makeup?

Printer-friendly version

Magic makeup?

Dorothy looked at the makeup bag with deep suspicion.

On the face of it, such an object shouldn’t be the object of paranoia, especially since in a way it represented the progress she had made in the last couple of years - finally shaking off fear and beginning a transition to womanhood.

But the bag’s contents now represented a barrier to further progress, and in a way Dorothy couldn’t understand the reason for.

Because whenever she tried to use the makeup from the bag, even if she put on enough to look like she was headed for a room lit by a red light, within an hour it had faded to nothing, making her look like she’d never touched the stuff.

“I’ve heard of permanent makeup, this stuff is like the reverse.” She thought..

Because she was a writer, and because she read a great deal of transgender fiction, Dorothy had no trouble imagining all sorts of bizarre reasons for this. A magic shop with a mysterious Wizard, a visitor from a dimension of superheroes, the possibilities were endless.

“But the most likely answer is its dollar store makeup” She said to herself, and tossed the makeup bag back on her dresser.

Then she decided to face the world ...

End.

up
149 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

thanks, Talia

glad this one gave you a giggle.

DogSig.png

Two magic worlds?

Rhona McCloud's picture

I imagine one world in which there are no physical mirrors in which to see ourselves and a second in which although we can see our physical reflection we cannot see how we appear to others. Hang on, real life is just like that!

Rhona McCloud

Are you sure the Wizard didn't put a spell on the bag

of makeup, so that our heroine couldn't see it, but that maybe others could? Of course, the Wizard does have a wicked sense of humor. Maybe even the grandmother from Bikini Beach a hand in this, too, maybe. Nice short short, Dorothy.

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

thanks, Barbara

glad you liked this little ditty

DogSig.png

Perhaps there was no need for magic...

The story made me think that the bag is like a metaphor of life and the makeup was only a mask of her true self. The bag was only reminding her that she didn't need the makeup to be beautiful, it was always there. I liked your story, it was like the mirror we often don't see.

Anon Allsop

wow, that's deep!

thanks for the comment

DogSig.png

A small dash

Daphne Xu's picture

... of humor does more than all the makeup in the world.

"...and tossed the makeup bag back on her dresser" without putting it on this time. Probably a good idea.

"[D]ollar store makeup"? I have the gut feeling that dollar-store makeup would stay on more rather than less, even if it smeared about.

This was a nice dash of humor.

-- Daphne Xu

-- Try saying freefloating three times rapidly.