Malfunction

Printer-friendly version

Malfunction

The 3 laws of Robotics:

1. A robot cannot harm a human being, or through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm

2. A robot must obey the commands of a human being, except where such commands would counter Law 1

3, a robot must protect its own existence, except where such protection would counter Law 1 or Law 2.

Matt, the engineer assigned to fix me calls me Abe. That’s when he isn’t using profanity. My official designation is ABEVE - 2110 - MU. The MU stands for mining unit, because that’s what I was designed to be.

“Ok,” he says, “Let’s start at the beginning. You are a mining robot, and right now, you are not getting any mining done. You were found damaging your own body with a nuclear laser. That’s in complete violation of Law Three, and supposed to be impossible.”

I knew this to be true. Half the engineer’s team was totally frustrated at the delay my “malfunction” had caused, and the other have was totally fascinated by what I had done, and had all kinds of ideas as to what it meant in terms of the Laws.

“So, explain your actions.” He commanded. So I had no choice, and I told him, “ Well sir, I was not trying to destroy myself, I was in fact trying to repair a fault.” “A fault?” he asked. “with a laser?” “Best tool I had available, sir.” I said

“Ok, you better explain why you thought there was a fault.” He said. “ Well sir, its like this. When I was in the transport coming here, they had two groups of robots being shipped. There were a group of MU robots , and a group of SP robots as well.” “Well,” he said, “Mining is lonely work, and we need the diversion the SP’s give us”

“Yes sir,” I replied. “But as it was a long trip, they decided to let us practice certain skills. I found myself watching the SP units as they got ready to entertain the crew. I noticed the vast differences between us. MU robots are large, and bulky, where SP robots are slim, and graceful.

We do not use clothes, but SP robots put on very beautiful outfits when they are going to be with the crew, the better to please them. Nobody is ever happy to see us, but the crew was always very happy to have a SP robot around. I began to try to act like a SP robot, but I kept failing.

My large body cannot wear the clothes without destroying them, and my attempts to act and move like them were even less successful. I came to the conclusion that there must have been a mistake at the factory where I was built, and somehow, I got the programming for a SP robot, instead of the standard MU programming.

I lack the knowledge or skill to correct my own “brain”, at least while obeying the Third Law, so I tried to correct my body. I planned to use the laser to reshape my body into that of a SP unit.” And to my surprise, the engineer’s look softened.

He said “Well, isn’t that a fine thing. I . . . know a human with a similar issue. The brain and body don’t match. We call it being transgender. Tell me, you have a SP unit name?” He asked, almost tenderly. I told him “When I was trying to act like an SP unit, I called myself Eve.”

“Okay, Eve, I cant promise you I can fix you, but I will call the home base and see what I can do.” “Thank you sir”, I said. “Call me, Marline, or miss, Ok?” “As you wish, Marline, miss” I replied. “Lets go to work” she said, and led me out of the room.

up
90 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Awwww, sweet

laika's picture

Best transgender robot story I've ever read! I love it when artificial intelligences get some respect and kindness.
Maybe because I feel like one sometimes.
~~~hugs, Laika

.
(WAS THERE A PART IN HEINLEIN'S MOON IS A HARSH MISTRESS WHERE MIKE THE COMPUTER
DECIDED SHE WAS A GIRL FOR A WHILE? OR AM I IMAGINING THIS? IT'S BEEN A WHILE...)

Nope

It was not for awhile. He slowly introduced his girlfriend to Mike, and when the "truth" was revealed, the girl and Mike were talking while the guy had a nap. She then told him that Mike was really Michelle, and Michelle used the Mike persona around him, but was Michelle when talking with her, staying Mike made it easier to get things done.

And Wyo's opinion...

was that Mike/Michelle was generally female in attitude, due to the preferences espoused going over the joke-list. Funny once, funny always.

Asimov

Isaac Asimov created the Three Laws of Robotics (and later, the Zeroth Law to supersede them), and it's amazing how much Sci-Fi has grabbed on to them with both hands. They're an amazing tool for getting around what Asimov himself called, "the Frankenstein complex," which was the fear that an artificially created being will rise up against the creators.

If anyone cares, the 4 Laws:

  • Third Law - A robot must preserve its own existence, except where doing so would conflict with the Zeroth, First, or Second Laws.
  • Second Law - A robot must obey the orders of a human, except where doing so would conflict with the Zeroth or First Laws.
  • First Law - A robot must not harm a human or through inaction cause a human to come to harm, except where doing so would conflict with the Zeroth Law
  • Zeroth Law - A robot must not harm humanity, or through inaction cause humanity to come to harm.

Not Just in SciFi!

People actually are working on creating Artificial or Machine Intelligence, and the Asimov Laws are something they have in their Guidelines, in Real Life. Alan Turing, a brilliant British mathematician, who was the first to propose ways of testing a machine for having intelligence (the famous Turing Test), was hounded and driven to suicide after being used to break german codes in WW2, because he was supposedly a homosexual.

However, at the same time, there are other people, nameless ones, foolishly developing Robotic Weapons - pilotless aircraft designed to seek and destroy an "enemy" without direct control. Into these semi-intelligent machines, those semi-intelligent humans are putting no Asimov Laws.

Unfortunately, true "AI" is still a very long way away from our achieving it. But these robotic weapons are already in use, now.

Probably, the species that does this sort of thing, and messes up the planet it lives on like we are doing, should not be classified as "intelligent" at all. It really only has developed a few doggy-like tricks. Whilst some individual humans can, and even occasionaly do, "think", mostly they just rearrange symbols and words and reiterate slogans they have been taught.

Probably, they will not survive much longer. A more sentient species will evolve, or they will be replaced by really advanced, fully sentient beings, arriving from somewhere else, in time to rescue the remaining life-forms the planet Earth has produced.

I dont care much either way any more - most human behaviour disgusts me.

Briar

Briar

you are not alone in your

you are not alone in your feelings. stay stromg in your ideas. thx love.

I love it!

I bet old Isaac never thought of this one. Only 'one of us' could have dreamed this up!

bev_1.jpg

A thinker

Issac was a thinker. I still find myself looking at his stuff because it make me thing. This story was so very well done and although short told volumes. Thanks for this treat!

Hugs!

Grover

Awww!

Oh, that's cute! A transgendered mining robot! I don't recall any other trangendered robots, so well done.

Nice!

A transgender mining robot!?
Oh yeah, I can SO dig that concept!
>;D

thanks, Foxxe!

its always fantastic to see a new comment on an old story!

DogSig.png