The Palm Reader

Printer-friendly version

The Palm Reader

“Being friends with Laura Towers was and still is an adventure.

Take the summer after our grade eleven year, for example ...”

****

Then ...

“Come on, Tom. I wanna go to the fair!”

“What about James Parker, he’s your boyfriend.”

“He’s working, and I wanna go, please?”

****

“Hey, look! That tent, it says, ‘Psychic and Palm reader - free readings’!”

“It’s a scam, Laura”

“How can it be a scam when it’s free?”

“Fine ...”

“Come in, children.”

“You can tell the future? Do my friend Tom first.”

“No, you go first, Laura.”

“Fine. Here is my hand.”

“Mmm .. very interesting. You will be faced with a difficult choice. The choice to help a friend, even though you do not understand, or to walk away from them, and live with regret the rest of your life.”

“Whoa .. Come on, Tom. your turn.”

“Your future hangs in the balance. You can find the courage to take off your mask, or you can continue to hide. If you reveal your true self, your road will be hard, but you will be rewarded at the end. If you choose to hide, your life will be unhappy ... and short.”

“Let’s get out of here, Laura.”

“That was pretty freaky, huh, Tom? ... Tom, are you okay?”

“She was right. I ... cant explain how she could possibly know, but she was right about me.”

“What do you mean, Tom?”

“If I tell you, will you promise not to tell anybody else?”

“Of course. I promise.”

“I ... well, let me start by telling you a story. When I was about four, I found my mom’s wedding pictures. I thought she looked so beautiful, and I hoped that when I grew up I’d be as pretty as her on my wedding day.”

“What?”

“Let me finish. I watched some show that had a wedding, so I started practicing my walk down the aisle. I’d sing ‘here comes the bride” as I slowly walked, pretending there was a long train behind me.”

“You imagined yourself as the bride?”

“Uh huh. I was so sure of that part. I’d be the bride in my pretty wedding dress. Somehow it never even occurred to me to think of myself as the groom.”

“But it was just pretend ..”

“Maybe that was, but things got worse. When I went into grade one, they separated us by gender for recess, and I couldn’t understand why I wasn’t with the girls.”

“You mean you wished you were a girl?”

“No, I mean I saw myself as a girl, somehow forced to pretend to be a boy.”

“I ... really dont know what to say. But I cant help but think about what she said to me, about helping a friend. I guess that’s you, and I really dont want to regret not helping you for the rest of my life. So what do you plan to do?”

“I ... I don’t know. I never planned on telling anybody. I didn’t want to be a freak. But lately I’ve been feeling like trying to hide is eating at my soul like acid. I ... don’t know what to do.”

“I don’t know either. But I’ll stay your friend, no matter what.”

“Thanks.”

We separated, I went home, and for a couple of days, nothing really changed.

Then Laura came over to my house.

“I had an idea about your ... situation.”

“Okay, I’m listening.”

“Come over to my house, I ... have some clothes you could try.”

“I .. I’d look silly.”

“Maybe, maybe not. Can’t know until you try. And nobody will see you but me, unless you decide they can.”

“Okay, let’s give this a try.”

So we went over to her house, and soon I was wearing girl’s clothes for the first time.

“Be honest. What do you think?” I asked.

“Oh ... wow .... wow ... oh ...”

“That bad?” I said, wanting to cry.

“That good. You look better than me.”

“No way.”

“Well, maybe not, but you look really good, hon. No reason why you couldn’t go out like that and be accepted as a girl.”

I looked in the mirror, and I had to agree. Nobody would think anything was off about me if I went out like this. But passing was only part of the battle I’d have ahead of me, and so I said, “Well, that’s good to know, but there is other things to worry about. Like my folks, like whether I would be able to go to school as a girl, and much more besides.”

“One step at a time. Go out as a girl somewhere you wouldn’t be well known, and get a feel for how it feels. Then if its what you want, I’ll stand by you when you talk to your folks, and do anything I can so you can come to school as a girl if you want to.”

“You sure? It probably wont be all as easy as dressing up has turned out to be.”

“You remember what that lady at the fair said. There’s no way I’m gonna wonder for the rest of my life if I should have stepped up. “

***

Now ...

And as the lady at the fair predicted, the next while was filled with struggles, with some failures as well as some success, but here I am, my true self, and being the maid of honor at Laura’s wedding.

And here is my toast to the best friend I could have asked for, and the most beautiful bride in the country ... Laura Towers-Parker!”

“To the Bride!”

End.

up
131 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Very nice

Thank you.

- Leona

you're welcome, Leona !

thanks for commenting, and huggles!

DogSig.png

very sweet

but dont worry ill be the best man at your wedding

only one tiny problem

Your not any type of man.

And I can't be a bride. Only girls, like you, can be brides.

EEEKkk

When did i get so girly?

looks at dorothy, looks at girly germs under microscope that clearly show d's

This is YOUR fault!

PAPA! Jaci's fibbing!

all those girl germs have J's!

DogSig.png

Am not!

Papa she is the one fibbing!

shows papa a picture that clearly shows a perfectly formed d on a pink germ.

ha!

I got red marks on my last paper for bad penmanship!

sits there with smug smile at dorothy's obviously lie.

i did not

I tried really hard.

Besides if that is true then your writing is so neat and clean its scary!

my writing is a mess

that's why I like typing!

DogSig.png

uh

they why did you get three gold stars for you neat penmanship?

those were yours !

my writing is awful !

DogSig.png

flips threw phone pics

there see

Shows photo of "penmanship" test. Top says Dorothy Colleen Belion with three gold stars beside...next to a paper with large red D- with a barely legible Jacilynn on it(can't make out last name scribble)

you switched our papers!

I wondered how I could have done that well ...

DogSig.png

I wish!

I tried that! Got slap from ruler on my knuckles for trying!

rubs sore hand in memory

you silly

I said, quite clearly, that i TRIED. got caught obviously.

can still feel the sting of that ruler

again

I wish!

Nope got caught trying to get your good paper.

Really you fibs are so lame i can poke holes with a truck.

but but

Your so girly? How can he even think of you as a boy?

shesh your so girly you make me look like the hulk!

not possible

to be more feminine than you.

Runs to Papa.

Dottie is being silly again.

you're the silly one, Jaci

you wear skirts more than me, you wear makeup, you have girly hips and girly feet (unlike me), and so on, and so on ...

All of which proves you're more feminine than me !

DogSig.png

you

wear nail polish and want everything pink.

Besides you would wear skirts or dresses if your work would allow it.

I work on cars and do woodworking therefore you more feminine.

Seein' ya's arguin' ...

... 'bout how the other is more girly always makes me giggle. Ya's *both* is girlier'n the other! :D

Indeed...

Andrea Lena's picture

a lovely adventure for them both! Thank you, dear!

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

thank you, Drea!

I'm glad you liked it.

DogSig.png

How Wonderful!

To choose life as you wish to be! Sometimes we all just need that little nudge in the right direction, and a little help from an understanding friend. Dorothy's turn will come as well! (With Jaci as Matron of Honor!). Loving Hugs Talia

thanks, Taarpa

huggles!

DogSig.png

Short, cute and very too the

Short, cute and very too the point. Thanks, Dorothycollen

thanks, Janice !

glad you liked it!

DogSig.png

I'll Throw a Possibility Out Here...

...though I don't think the story's written that way. (Either that or it is and like Tom, I'm too dense to see it.)

Laura seems determined to go to the fair accompanied by Tom, points out the fortune booth when they get there and all but demands that they go inside. I'm wondering if it was all a set-up, where Laura already knew that there was some identity question in Tom's mind that was causing him grief, so she got the two of them there at a predetermined time and had an acquaintance set up the "free read" to provide him with the impetus to tell her afterwards what his problem was so that she could try to help him. (And years later Tom still doesn't know that he was conned that day.)

Another "rational" alternative, though it doesn't explain why someone would be there giving free readings, is that the two of them were simply conned by a "cold read". Telling a teen boy that he's wearing a mask -- in effect, that he's concealing part of his personality, probably due to peer pressure -- isn't unlikely to be recognized by him as true on some level. And Laura's fortune, having been told first, is even more vague: that at some point she'll have a choice of helping or spurning a friend, and will be second-guessing herself for the rest of her life if she chooses the latter option. (The gender of the friend is unspecified; there's no reason for her to think that it's Tom or even someone she currently knows.) I'd say that's a plausible prediction to make to almost anyone who isn't so asocial as to be going to the fair alone: if one has friends, eventually the person will have to decide whether to go out on a limb for one of them or decline and always wonder what-if.

I guess it's just me, but I like those theories better than a non-rational alternative in which the psychic's motivation isn't clear; there's nothing in it for her the way this is described. (I suppose one can counter that a true psychic can get all the money she needs playing the stock market or the races and can spend her days giving all the readings she wants free of charge.)

Thing is, this is Laura's story as told by Tom, not the other way around, and we have no reason to think that her life would have been crucially different if all this hadn't happened: she'd presumably still have married her high school sweetheart even if someone else had been the maid of honor.

Eric

Laura helps her friend

This is a short, but sweet and sentimental tale of how a friend becomes a true friend, and helps her friend become the person to live the gender Laura's friend wanted to be. I am a sucker for happy, mushy endings. Thank you for sharing this delightful tale.

With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward.

Barbara Lynn Terry

"If I have to be this girl ion me, Then I have the right to be."

Sweet story

Jamie Lee's picture

This is a very sweet story. Not many would take a palm readers' reading to heart. Laura is a true friend.

Others have feelings too.

thanks, Jamie Lee

yeah, Laura is a great friend.

DogSig.png

So sweet!

Awesome short story.

glad you liked it!

thanks for the comment.

DogSig.png