It's Just Clothes

Printer-friendly version

It's Just Clothes

“Well, my love, we’ve been dating a while, and I’ve introduced you to my mom.”

“Who is a sweetie, by the way”

“I’m glad you like her. She really liked you.”

“Well, I like to think I make you happy, that counts with mothers.”

“Indeed. But speaking of mothers, when am I going to meet your parents?”

“Well . . . it's a bit complicated.”

“What do you mean?”

“Well, you see, my dad . . . heck with it I’m just going to come out and say it. He dresses like a woman.”

“Okay. Is he . . I think the word is . . . transitioning?”

“No. He just prefers women’s clothes. And since he was able to retire early, he says he can dress how he want.”

“I happen to agree with him.”

“Really?”

“Well, they’re just clothes. I don’t see it as that big a deal”

“I’m so glad to hear you say that. Because I have an idea that will make meeting him for the first time. I’m hoping you’d be willing to dress as a woman.”

“Hon, are you sure that’s a good idea? I’ll look like a clown, like I’m mocking his choices. Not the kind of message I’d want to send.”

“The fact that your first thought was of his welfare is one of the reasons I love you. Don’t worry, I’ll make sure mom and dad understand before we go. And I don’t think you’ll look like a clown. Women come in all shapes and sizes, you know, so with the right look you’ll turn heads.”

“The only head I ever want to turn is yours.”

“You say the sweetest things. So, will you try? For me?”

“Put those puppy-dog eyes away, woman. I’ll try. After all, as I said, it's just clothes.”

****

“My love, why do you want me to practice wearing heels?”

“So you don’t hurt yourself when you wear them for my folks.”

“Don’t you take your shoes off as soon as you get inside?”

“Normally yes, but this is going to be a more formal occasion. Besides, they do make your legs look ravishing. In fact, if you’re a good boy and practice hard today, I’ll ravish your legs - and the rest of you - tonight.”

“My momma didn’t raise no dummies. You got a deal.”

******

“You can stop fidgeting.”

“I’m not fidgeting. This dress, and especially these stockings, are sending some very confusing messages to my brain.”

“The fact that they feel nice is why women wear them, darling. The fact that men like to look at us wear them is just a side benefit.”

“I’ll take your word for that. So do I pass muster?”

“You look lovely dear. And I promise you I will properly thank you after the dinner.”

“I’m gonna hold you to that”

****

*Doorbell rings*

“Lucy!”

“Mom!”

“And this must be . . .”

“Robert. Although I do look like a Bobbi at the moment.”

“Well, come in, both of you.”

“Where’s dad?”

“In the kitchen dear.”

“Hi Dad! I want you to meet the most wonderful person, the love of my life.”

“It's . . . good to meet you sir. Your daughter has been telling stories about you.”

“Based on your outfit, I can only imagine what kind of stories.”

****

“Lucy, my love. I could not help but notice your father is not dressed in women’s clothes.”

“I . . . may have exaggerated how often he wears dresses.”

“And how often does he actually wear dresses?”

“Never.”

“I see. So what was the point of getting me into one, then?”

“I’m sorry, dear. It was a bit of a test. See, I used to be a boy. And I needed to be sure I’d be safe telling you.”

“Why?”

“Because I had a relationship with what I thought was a wonderful man once, but when he found out my history . . . it didn’t end well.”

“So you thought me getting a chance to walk in your heels would help soften any difficulties.”

“Exactly. I hope you don’t hate me.”

“My love, I don’t hate you. I am totally in love with you. And I think I can understand your fears. But I want you to be sure that finding out this part of your history only makes me love you more.”

“I’m so very, very glad!”

“Whew! I need to say stuff like that more often if they make you kiss me like that!”

“As I promised, after we get home, there will be plenty of kisses. And other things.”

“Wonderful, but let's return to the table for dessert.”

End.

up
138 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Nice Basis for Relationship...

Daphne Xu's picture

Lying to your lover, Fibbing to your FwB, Prevaricating to your Precious, ...

“The fact that they feel nice is why women wear them, darling. The fact that men like to look at us wear them is just a side benefit.” Is it side? Or does something connect them?

-- Daphne Xu

well they do feel nice

and look nice, at least in my opinion. I guess there is a connection

hugs, Daphne

DogSig.png

Ask a Lipstick

Lesbian. We love fine clothes, and fine women. Men need not apply. If you don't count what happened to me before I was eight, then I'm a Gold Star Lesbian. Since I had no say in what happened, I don't count it.

Fine clothes and artfully-applied makeup are a decadent pleasure all their own. I don't need a man of any type to see me, it doesn't increase my pleasure one bit.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Agreed

RobertaME's picture

I have ZERO attraction to men, and no desire to attract one. I still dress very femininely... for me. (and for my co-wives... but that's just a side-benefit!) I am lucky enough that I was never sexually assaulted... but even if I had been it wouldn't have made me 'not count' as a lesbian. Same applies to you.

As to the story, I have... issues... with it.

Sorry Dorothy, but your protagonist is not very likable. I thought it was a great story... until the end. Not telling someone that you're dating who you really are is kinda scummy... regardless of why.

Back in the mid 90s, I was engaged to a woman. I told her that I used to think I was a girl, but that it was only a part of my past. That wasn't true... no matter how much I wanted it to be. Inevitably, it came to a head and she broke our engagement and dumped me. I swore on that day that before I ever got involved with anyone again, they would know just who it was that they supposedly loved from day one. (after all, how can you love someone if you don't even know them?)

Five months later I met my first co-wife. I told her that night who I really was. She not only stayed, but asked me to marry her 3 days later. I didn't say yes, but I did two weeks later when she kept asking. That was 22 years ago and we're still hopelessly in love.

Relationships that last, like a house, are built on good foundations. Yes, it's scary telling someone who we used to be. (or who we really are if we're closeted) To not do so is only inviting doubt into everything you've built together. "If you didn't tell me something that important to you, what else are you keeping from me?" What if having kids... his own kids... was important to him? That's not just clothes... that's a life goal. Now he's emotionally invested in a woman who's effectively sterile and has to decide what's more important to him... his desires for a family or his desire to stay with her. After she lied to him... not just by omission but actual lies like "my dad dresses like a woman", that gets to be an easy choice... just not a nice one for her.

It's not bad or wrong to have a preference for genetic females. Like it or not, we who aren't have to face the reality that there is one aspect of being a woman that we will never have... the ability to bear children. That doesn't make us any less a woman... my great aunt was sterile and never could have kids of her own, but that didn't make her any less a woman... but it is a reality we must face and accept that it means that some people will never want us for that reason... just the same as what my great aunt had to face. To hide that from the people we're involved with is selfish and cowardly... and we're better than that.

Kudos for pulling me in and it was a good story, but I don't like the bait-and-switch ending. To each their own... I'm glad that others like it!

::huggles::
Roberta

I lied to my wife

by omission, letting her believe I was a guy. At the time, I thought being married would make the girl stuff go away, which of course it didn't. She had her own honesty issues, so our relationship was doomed, but neither of us was in physical danger from the other. But enough trans women have lost their lives at the hands of boyfriends that I wouldn't begrudge someone for taking precautions.

I'm sorry you didn't like the ending, hon.

Huggles!

DogSig.png

Dangers

RobertaME's picture

I get it. Telling someone you're wanting to date that you're trans would be terrifying, but you don't not tell them until after their emotionally invested. If anything, that makes the danger worse.

Taking precautions is one thing. Tell them when you're in a public place. Yes, that makes it even more terrifying... what if they make a scene and out you in front of a bunch of strangers... but the alternative is much worse... much more dangerous. Once emotionally involved, learning you've been lied to can make people angry and far more likely to lash out physically. At least doing so right from the start minimizes the investment, minimizing the sense of loss and the resulting anger... plus the presence of others can act to prevent doing something stupid like becoming violent... allowing time for emotions to cool off before it gets to that point.

I was involved with a woman once who I found out had been lying to me about herself from day one. She wasn't trans... it was a different issue... but even I, someone who was in an abusive relationship myself, felt the anger and desire to hurt her as badly as she'd just hurt me by lying to me... making me get emotionally invested in someone who was then taken away from me because she never existed. That's just a human reaction... regardless of gender. The only reason I didn't was because I'd been abused myself... and I just couldn't do that... but it didn't stop me from getting angry, yelling, and throwing her out. (and keeping the car I helped her buy that was also in my name... leaving her to have to call a cab to haul her crap away at great expense... which I'm ashamed to say felt really good at the time)

It's all good though. It's just a story, but I felt it needed to be addressed. A lot of TGs feel they need to protect themselves though secrecy. I get that. In public, I'm full stealth... but that's because to the average person I'm nobody to them and it's frankly none of their business. Once you begin a relationship though, the other person has a right to know just who it is that they're getting involved with. That's the point where your rights end and theirs begin.

My right to stealth ends the moment I get involved in someone else's life beyond mere acquaintance.

::huggles::
Roberta

Passed the Test

Lucy Perkins's picture

At least Bobbi/ Robert passed the test, and I am overjoyed that he did. The world needs more guys prepared to walk in our shoes for a mile...but they are not getting my best Jimmy Choos..
Lucy x

"Lately it occurs to me..
what a long strange trip its been."

passing the test

sounds like he's a keeper, that's for sure.

DogSig.png

*snortgiggling*

“And how often does he actually wear dresses?”

“Never.”

Those two lines really hit me in the funny bone! Thanks so much for sharing another wonderful story. :)

hitting you in the funny bone

I'm really glad I could give you a case of the "snortgiggles"

hugs!

DogSig.png

A Serious Bone

Daphne Xu's picture

For me, it hit a more serious bone, after this exchange:

“Well, you see, my dad . . . heck with it I’m just going to come out and say it. He dresses like a woman.”

“Okay. Is he . . I think the word is . . . transitioning?”

“No. He just prefers women’s clothes. And since he was able to retire early, he says he can dress how he want.”

-- Daphne Xu

well I wrote it

so of course I like it.

DogSig.png

A fun little dialog.

crash's picture

A fun little dialog. I love the approach and the events of the story. And the allusion to events happening off set.

Just another adoring fan
Crescenda

AKA

Your friend
Crash

events happening off set

yeah, I liked the way this worked out with stuff being just hinted at.

thanks for the comment, huggles!

DogSig.png

Your recent blog

crash's picture

Your recent blog entry got me to thinking, I should re-read it. It does seem like an opportunity. I'd love to see what you would do with this on a second pass.

I love the conversation driven style. Still I get where the "scheming wife" comments might come from. Still, not every character has to be a perfectly adjusted reflection of enlightenment. Some of the best stories are carried on conflicts, miscommunications and confusions among flawed and vulnerable characters.

I always love your work, I'm always on the look out for more.

Crescenda

Your friend
Crash

when I was writing this

I kept picturing a TV sit-com, complete with laugh track. but in the cold light of day, it did make the wife look awful

DogSig.png