Ghost Gift

Printer-friendly version
lights06.gif
December 2016 Spirit of Giving Story Contest Entry

 

Ghost Gift

It’s Christmas eve, and it seems like everybody is rushing around, trying to get the last things done before the stores close.

Except for me.

I’m a ghost.

No, not the house-haunting kind. I actually have a job.

Given to me by The Big Guy Himself.

Hey, it beats going to the Hot Place, you know what I mean?

My name is ... was ... Andrew Conner. There isn’t a whole lot I could tell you about me as a living guy. I was a nobody, a tiny cog in the machine, and I don’t think I ever did anything that helped another person.

Boy, is that changed now.

My job is like this. I get sent to a person who is in trouble. I can see, hear, and feel what they do, and I can access their memories so I figure out what’s going on.

But I don’t control them. All I can do is offer ideas, like the little angel on your shoulder.

My first case was a nineteen year old Latino kid who was about to do a drag show.

My next case was forty year old housewife who couldn’t figure out how to tell her husband she was actually a lesbian.

A lot of my cases end up being somewhere on the LBGT spectrum. Maybe they have it a little tougher than straight people, or maybe my boss wanted to open up my eyes a little and drop some of my own prejudice.

It’s a year-round gig, but I am busiest during the Christmas season.

It might surprise you to learn that what is supposed to be the happiest time of the year is sometimes anything but happy.

So I wasn’t really surprised to get the Call, and I found myself attached to a kid who couldn’t be more than fourteen. The kid was dressed in what would have been a pretty dress for a summer picnic but not the best clothes for a cold winter evening.

One peek at the kid’s memories told me why they were out dressed like this. Their dad had come home from work early and found the kid wearing this dress, which had belonged to the kid’s mother, and kicked the kid out on the spot.

I guess the dad couldn’t see what was obvious to me. Even though the kid was born a boy, she was a girl on the inside.

She had now been on the streets for almost two whole days, and was now in deep trouble. Not only was she freezing, but she hadn’t slept or eaten since she left her house, too scared of the reactions of other people to do more but hide in the shadows and alleys.

I’d have to act fast if I was to save her.

I wracked my brain, trying to think of any agency, any charity, anybody at all that would help her and not jump down on her for something that was as much her choice as the color of her skin.

Then I remembered something I had seen in the paper recently about a trans woman who had opened up a shelter for LGBT kids with money she had won in a lottery.

Fortunately, the place wasn’t far away, and I was able to nudge the girl in the right direction.

Even still I thought I was gonna lose her. She stood on the doorstep of the place agonizing about knocking on the door. I seriously thought she would choose freezing to death because of how much she had internalized her dad’s hatred of what she was.

But, she did knock, and was let in by an older lady who introduced herself as Doctor DiMaggio. Once she was warming by the fire with a cup of hot coco in her hand, I felt it was time for me to take my leave.

This case was a bit extreme, but most of the time what saves my ... clients is a simple act of kindness, or acceptance, or even someone being willing to listen.

Maybe if more people did those things, I’d be out of a job.

But for now, there is another person waiting for help, so off I go again ...

End

up
159 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

.

Pretty cool job. I would do it.

T

Privileged

Andrea Lena's picture

and blessed to be included. Acts of kindness include encouragement to folks like me.

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Styx

As usual Doroty, a nice, sweet story. Kudos.

Styx

thanks, Styx

glad you liked it!

DogSig.png

Awwww

Your shorts are always so sweet and full of feels, they never fail to make me smile and tear up at the same time. Thank you.

- Leona

thank you, Leona

glad you liked it!

DogSig.png

Wings of Desire

laika's picture

Your ghost reminds me of the angels from that German film WINGS OF DESIRE (The Nicholas Cage remake ten years later was okay, but the original waaaaay better). They too could feel a human's pain, and sympathize and couldn't really interact but could only nudge people.

I loved this sweet little story, it was a good first Christmas Contest story to get me into the holiday spirit and wean me off of pirates and spiders. I loved how the halfway house sort of echoed Catherine Linda Michel's HOME THAT LOVE BUILT stories.

And who doesn't love Doctor DiMaggio? I used to listen to her radio program of wacky novelty songs every Sunday night- Oh wait, that was Doctor Demento...
huggles, Ronni

Wings of Desire

yeah, that was the feel I was going for.

Glad you liked it!

DogSig.png

Dr. DiMaggio, Huh?

Well, I hope that the girl will be all right physically as well as mentally. I also hope she didn't get frost bite while out in the extreme cold. This is a sweet tale of acceptance from Heaven and acceptance at the shelter she was nudged in the direction of. And, what is it with dads, anyway? Do they think this is still a male oriented world? OMG! Well, just because a son is a crossdresser, tg, gay, does not mean there is anything wrong with the son. Dads need to have a lesson learned and maybe one day they will see the person in front of them and not just the body. Thank you, Dorothy for sharing this sweet, sentimental story. I loved it.

With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward.

Barbara Lynn Terry

"If I have to be this girl ion me, Then I have the right to be."

thanks Barbara

I am glad you liked it. Huggles !

DogSig.png

I hope I get that job when

sugar_britches63's picture

I cross over. My own transformation was completed about 7 years ago and it would be nice to help others even after I go like the ghost. Thank you for the wonderful story and hope for later.

opinor ergo sum

Charlotte Van Goethem

dont wait till you cross over

you might be surprised how much you can help others even with the smallest of gestures.

glad you enjoyed the story !

DogSig.png

Dorothy how could you! Now we

Dorothy how could you! Now we will have to work twice as hard to make a great story for the contest! :D Nicely done, I hope to be able to do one that is half as nice as your story.

Very sweet and really interesting take on an angel, it's easy to understand why an angel would feel bad about their job after a while but bravo to him for helping people anyway.

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

A warm understanding heart....

And a warm cup of coco! What more does one need ?
Wonderful Dottie! Loving Hugs Talia

thanks, Talia !

What more does one need? Huggles. Lots and lots of huggles ...

DogSig.png

Great story, Dorothy. Thank

Great story, Dorothy. Thank you for it. So just in passing, what did Dr. DiMaggio say to the "new little girl" besides "Come on in"? Would make for wonderful followup story in my very humble opinion.

a follow up story?

you never know, Janice

Thanks for commenting!

DogSig.png

Oh Yes

It would be a great new story. Would love to read more. Thank you Dorothy

MICKIE