Just Swimmingly

Printer-friendly version

Just Swimmingly

Mary reached the door of the change room, and hesitated. She stood there, rocking back and forth from one foot to the other for several minutes before Alice came up and took her hand.

"What's wrong, hon?" Alice asked.

"I can't. They'll all see ...." Mary said.

"They wont notice a thing. Come on. "

Finally, Alice took Mary's hand, and led her into the change room. Once inside, Alice began taking of her street clothes, while Mary watched. Alice looked at her, and said, "what, hon?"

"You're able to do that so easily." Mary whispered, "Me, I think about .... not being a real woman..." tears came to her eyes as she thought about the scars on her body.

"Sweetheart, you are a real woman, and don't forget it. And as I told you, nobody will mind at all. Just take the plunge!" Alice said with a bright smile.

"Oh... Okay. Here goes."

Mary quickly got undressed, and put on her swimsuit. Hand in hand the two women left the change room and headed for the pool.

For a while, Mary would flinch every time she saw someone looking in her direction. She felt like the scars would show right through the suit, and everyone would see them. But Alice's joy was infectious, and slowly she relaxed, and began to enjoy being in the water. They swam, and rested, and swam some more before finally calling it a day after three hours in the pool.

Alice led Mary back to the change room, and Mary had another panic attack at the prospect of a shower, but soothing words, and soft touches from Alice got her through it.

When they had dressed and left the building, Alice asked, "Did you have fun?"

"I did. The best day I've had since..."

Alice held her and said, "I know losing a breast to cancer was hard, hon. But as you could see, nobody said a word."

"Thank you for this."

"Oh I'm not done spoiling you yet. Lots more on the menu when we get home."

"Something to look forward to." Mary said, and kissed her wife, who used to be her husband.

up
162 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Simply

Beautiful.

Jorey
.
Like Sudoku?
sudokurose.com

Jorey
.

Simply, thank you

I'm very glad you enjoyed it.

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

Is there a "moral" to this story?

Extravagance's picture

Mary certainly seems (to me) to be lacking in perspective and trust.
Whatever the issues of the characters may be, it's a well written story. = )

Catfolk Pride.PNG

Perspective

laika's picture

Mary's perspective seems totally realistic for a breast cancer survivor who's had a mastectomy. I've known at least a half dozen, ranging from tough girls to miserable wimps, from essentially together and spiritual with a great attitude to one total drama-addicted basket case- and while some put up a better front than others ("Hey, I'm lucky just to be alive!") it was a big fucking earth-shattering deal to every one of these women, body-image issues shaking their sense of self, that took time and support and a lot of work to get okay with. Great story Dorothy!
~~hugs, veronica

thanks, veronica

I worked in the hospital around people who had cancer, and it really does mess you up mentally as much as physically. Thanks for commenting.

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

Moral?

The only moral is that genetic girls can struggle with body issues, just like Transgender girls do. I'm glad you liked it, Mr. Sexy girl.

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

Indeed,

Extravagance's picture

You'd be hard pressed to find even a GG who hasn't hated (or won't come to hate) some aspect of her physical appearance at some point in her life.

Say... Rather random, but what sport (or profession) does "Team <3 Dorothy" (as illustrated on the pink T-shirt in your comments) partake in? =)

Catfolk Pride.PNG

Team Dorothy's Job

Is to cheer me on and cheer me up. They also have the almost-impossible task of making me feel good about myself ....

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

You sneaky author you, I

You sneaky author you, I didn't see that one coming. Good to be reminded that there are other women who have this kind of problem.

Me, sneaky?

why whatever do you mean? Giggle. I'm glad you liked it, Lexa.

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

One of my aunts....

Andrea Lena's picture

...survived childhood abuse only to succumb to breast cancer. Aunt Trudy. This was sweet and sad and sweet all over again. Thank you.


Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Sorry about your aunt hon

Thank you for commenting, 'Drea. I decided I needed a break from the doom and gloom of "Night Entries".

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

what?

*** Just as it was geting interesting you stop it. Is your name Alfred Hitchcock. He used to do the same thing? Please tell me there is more....Rebecca

Hitchcock?

well, there are worse storytellers you could compare me to. And I'm pretty sure you can guess what the two of them do that night, can't you? Thanks for commenting anyway, Rebecca.

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

Just Swimmingly

Thank you for posting this sweet story of LOVE.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

A Familiar Ending

Daphne Xu's picture

A twist ending like Bru's. It's not the (presumably ancient) transition that concerns Mary, but the more recent cancer surgery. Of course, one has to be very sorry for Mary. Have one's bosom checked periodically.

-- Daphne Xu

breast checks

very important

DogSig.png