Party Time

Printer-friendly version

Party time

Richard glanced at the calender, and sighed. It was the day before his fortieth birthday, and it was an occasion he dreaded. But not just for the usual reasons - the idea of getting older rarely appealed after twenty five, but for a more complicated reason.

Richard had never really felt “right” as a male. Sadly, it had taken him far too long to realize there was actually something he could had done about that, and so he approached forty no further along toward being a woman than he had at twenty.

Mostly, his girl self lived online, in chat rooms and especially fiction sites. He (She, really) wrote poems and songs and stories, and even kept a blog sharing her inner self with the others who were like her.

She just posted a blog entry, trying to keep the self-pity to minimum, but several people sent encouraging messages privately to try and get her to focus on the positive steps she had taken.

“You finally told your brother, your sister, and your mom, Donna. Did they kick you out of their lives? No. Sure, they don’t totally get it, but they still want to see you, that counts for something.” one message said.

“I know, but just once, I would like a birthday as a woman. To be the birthday girl.”

She wiped her tears, turned off the computer, and went to sleep.

The day of her birthday dawned, and she struggled to get going. The day dragged, and by the end of her shift, she was ready to crawl into a bed and forget that it was her birthday.

But just after she got home, the phone rang, and it was her brother.

“You got plans for tonight?”

“A hot bath and a warm bed.”

“No good. Its your birthday, so you got forty minutes to get your best dress on, Donna.”

“I thought you weren't comfortable with me dressing up in front of you.”

“Its a special day.”

“Fine. Remember, you asked.”

Exactly forty minutes later, her brother rang the bell, and Donna had to rush out the bedroom to answer.

“Nice dress.” he said, “Come on, the family is waiting.”

They drove to a restaurant, and Donna gasped as they entered.

Inside, a table had been set up for the birthday party, and practically everything on the table was pink.

The table was covered with a pink tablecloth, on top of which were pink plates, with pink napkins beside them. Presents wrapped in pink paper with pink bows were in the center of the table, circling a pink cake. Even the knives, forks and spoons were pink.

“Happy birthday, Donna!” Her family said.

Her mother gave her a kiss, and gave her a plastic tiara that said “birthday princess” on it.

“Happy birthday, sweetheart.” her mother said.

Her sister came up and hung a sash on her that said, “Birthday girl” and hugged her.

“Happy birthday sis.” Her sister said.

“Thank you. thank you all.” Donna said, and wept tears of joy.

Once the food and cake were eaten, the gifts were opened, and everyone but Donna and her brother had left, she turned to him, and said, “Okay. Give. What made you guys decide to accept me all of a sudden?”

“You gave me a link to your stories, once. I finally took the time to read them. I … I was amazed at your talent, and I … finally saw my sister, for the first time. I called everyone else, and it didn’t take long to talk everyone else into this. I’m....sorry it took us so long.”

Donna hugged her brother, and said, “Its okay.It took me a long time to come to grips with what I am myself. It was probably unreasonable to expect you guys to get it in one day.”

“Probably.”

“Hey!”

“Hey, just cause your my sister instead of my brother, doesn’t mean I cant bug you a bit.”

“Okay, okay. “ She said, She gave him a kiss on the cheek, and said, “Thanks, bro. Lets go home.”

up
117 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Would that we all could enjoy a birthday like this!

Andrea Lena's picture

...maybe someday, but this is a good start! Thank you.


Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

thank you, so much, 'Drea

for reading and commenting. I'm glad you liked this one.

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

Lucky Girl

In my forties I was still in the closet, well until I was forty six. My first birthday as the birthday girl was when I turned fifty. No my birth family did not celebrate it, they still refuse to have anything to do with me. My chosen family are the ones who celebrated with me. It was so overwhelming for me and I had tears of happiness.
At age 59 I quit celebrating birthdays. I do however celebrate anniversaries of my birthday, my next anniversary of my 29th birthday will be the 33rd anniversary.
Well written and cheerful, I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Jill Micayla
Be kinder than necessary,Because everyone you meet
Is fighting some kind of battle.

Jill Micayla
Be kinder than necessary,Because everyone you meet
Is fighting some kind of battle.

Thanks, Jill.

I'm glad you liked it. I enjoyed writing this one.

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

Happy Birthday, Donna

The irony is that that first step seems to take balls the size of water melons.

What a brave person Donna was, But kudos should also go to her family for seeing exactly what was there and accepting it.

Jessica
I don't just look it, I'm totally impressed. So short and yet so complete

thanks Nick.

Yes, it takes a lot of courage to take that step. I'm glad you liked it.

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

The Brother is Right

RAMI

Hey the brother is right. He has to make up for all the times he would havve teased his sister. Like tangling icky bugs in front of her. Or making silly comments when she had a crush on her first sweetheart. Or making fun of her at her first ballet recital.

But more importantly, before the teasing, he did what any true big brother does for his sister, he was her champion, her knight in shining armor, and thre person who helped her when she felt down.

The hero here is not Richard/Donna, or her friend at BCTS, but her brother.

RAMI

RAMI

Yes, he was the hero.

A good man, and yes, they do exist ....

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

Party Time

A most wonderful way to celebrate a Birthday.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Hitting The Right Notes

This story made me cry a little.

There's nothing I enjoy more in a TG story than affirmation and acceptance.

___________________
If a picture is worth 1000 words, this is at least part of my story.

thanks, Pipa

"affirmation and acceptance" are good things, both in stories and in real life .... Thank you for commenting.

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

That brother was a blessing

janet_L.'s picture

Superb story!

I hope my big sister takes it as well when I finally come out to her in the next couple months. (I'm planning on transitioning full time before my birthday this year.)

I keep worrying which strain in her will win? Blood is thicker than water, or Leviticus?

Some days I'm almost sure it will be the former, other days my imagination has her going old-testament on my a**. . .

Then there is the matter of my mom, who is going on 90. . . Some days she's as sharp as a tack, other days. . . not so good. How will she deal with suddenly having two daughters instead of one of each?

I liked this, Dorothy.

This is a "Joe Pesci" kind of story... short, but it packs a punch.

Lora123falle.jpg

thanks, Lora

glad you liked it.

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

Loving family

If only............... A lucky girl. Pity it took until her 40th to find out. There IS understanding out there, if we can just but take a chance... Lovely work! ots of love, Ginger xx

forty?

I dont think I ever actually said which birthday it was, but good guess. Sometimes, yes, we get more understanding than we expect. Thanks for commenting, Ginger.

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

Yup forty

In the second paragraph you say, "Richard had never really felt “right” as a male. Sadly, it had taken him far too long to realize there was actually something he could had done about that, and so he approached forty no further along toward being a woman than he had at twenty."

You haven't actually said he was forty, but it's kind of intimated.

Jessica
I don't just look it, I'm totally eagle-eyed

It's there...

The second sentence of the story begins with, "It was the day before his fortieth birthday..."

Lora123falle.jpg