Working Girl Part 4

Printer-friendly version

 

WorkingGirl Part 4 of 6
by Melanie Brown
Copyright  © 2021 Melanie Brown

Garner thought it would be fun to sign up for a costume contest

 


 

I over filled one of the cups and spilled on the counter top while listening. Letter? I didn’t write a letter. Now I’m not eligible for re-hire. I didn’t sign up to be an assistant. I guess I could always quit and go somewhere else. But, in this town, the job market for analysts is pretty tight. So right now I need this job even if it means wearing high heels. I quickly wiped up the spill and returned with the two cups of coffee.

As I handed him the cup, Mr. Jones said, “Could you bring me some cream and sugar as well? Thanks.”

Ms. Lane looked at me. “Sugar please,” she whispered with a grin. I think she’s enjoying this.

I retrieved the items and sat down quickly before they decided to have me make a sandwich or something. As I sat there, trying to listen to what they said about my report, a random thought passed through my head. Do I feel resentful to be asked to do such things? As a male, is it beneath me? I remember a few weeks ago, asking the assistant to bring me a soda after the meeting had already started. But I couldn’t shake another thought of why the hell couldn’t they get their own damned drink before the meeting started?

I listened to the managers discuss the ramifications outlined in my report. I leaned over so I could whisper to Ms. Lane. “Do you hear that? They’re talking about my report.”

Ms. Lane nodded. She whispered back, “You were doing excellent work. Oh. And thanks for the coffee, miss.”

I sat there flabbergasted. Whispering in her ear, I said, “When can I have my old job back?”

Ms. Lane frowned. “I’m sorry Ms. Carter, but the old you has been terminated and is ineligible for re-hire. I might be able to help you move from being an assistant to analyst.”

I just stared at her. “And remain a woman?”

Ms. Lane smiled nervously. “It seems to suit you.”

I leaned back in my chair in silence. It suits me? How many times in my life have I wished I could dress as a girl full time? And now I have it, but it’s not on my terms.

When the meeting ended and Mr. Jones didn’t immediately have something for me to do, I took the elevator down to the first floor and walked out of the building into the building’s plaza as well as the cool, fresh air. It was starting to turn cool, but not cold yet.

The bench I was heading for was fortunately unoccupied. In the spring and summer, the plaza here gets a lot of foot traffic. The gardens in the plaza are quite nice.

I plopped down on the wooden bench almost ready to cry. My tight skirt helped remind me to keep my knees together. Today was definitely being a trial by fire. Do I want to be a woman? Here’s my chance. Ever since I was little, I knew I was a crossdresser. Maybe not in that word, but I was always getting into my mom’s things. But I also did a lot of masculine things. Was I hiding?

I didn’t hear anyone approach. I jumped when someone sat down next to me.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to frighten you.” The guy from the elevator this morning sat down next to me.

I looked over at him, pissed at having my inner discussion interrupted. “Are you following me?”

“I saw you through my office window coming out here alone. Thought you might want someone to talk to.” He smiled at me.

I frowned at him. “Did it even occur to you that I might want to be alone? Today has been a day, if you know what I mean.”

He chuckled. “I can fully understand. Like you, I’m also an assistant. But for the C-staff. I come out here sometimes too when the day becomes too much.”

I looked at him curiously. “You’re an assistant? You get sent to fetch coffee during meetings?”

He laughed. “Actually yes. My main job is to manage the executive offices. My name is Jeff, by the way.” He held out his hand.

I took his hand in a rather wimpy shake. “My name is Garner. Nice to meet you.” It wasn’t really, but I felt I should be polite, even though he seems like a stalker.

Jeff smiled at me. “That’s an unusual name. Well, I’ll let you get back to your soul searching. Oh. Would you be interested in doing lunch?”

And there it is. I didn’t want to say this, because IT ISN’T TRUE. But I smiled weakly at Jeff. “Well, actually I have a boyfriend.”

Jeff nodded. “Pretty tight?” I couldn’t believe he’d ask that.

My smile faded. “We live together.” Separate bedrooms, mind you. But he doesn’t need to know that.

Jeff nodded again. “Lucky guy. I took a chance. I figured a woman like you would already be in a relationship. Anyway, I’ll chat with you later.” He stood up and headed back into the building.

A woman like me? I really didn’t think anyone would seriously find me attractive. I’m not counting Jack since he’s a goof-ball. A woman like me? The words echoed in my head. He must be desperate.

After a few minutes of sitting alone, I finally stood up and walked slowly back to the lobby of the building and punched the button to call an elevator.

I selected the floor for my old office. There were some personal things I’d left in the desk that I wanted to get back.

As I walked across the office area’s floor, Annette and Katrina looked up. Grinning, they waved and started to walk over to me.

“Hey girl!” called Annette. “How are you doing? Are you holding up?”

Katrina shook her head. “Well shit. It looks like what Ms. Lane said was true. You’re working as a woman now.”

I nodded. “Yeah. For now anyway. I hope we can get something straightened out, but it’s not looking hopeful. Basically the old me has been terminated.”

Annette stepped back for a moment and looked me up and down. “Damn woman. You look great. Did you do your own make-up?”

I nodded. “Yep.”

Katrina laughed. “I taught her everything she knows.” I couldn’t help but notice their referring to me as female.

Lowering my voice, I said, “Hey guys. Don’t forget. This is our secret. Never mention who I actually am.”

Annette nodded. “Mums the word. In all honesty, I like you better this way.” She grinned.

I sighed. “This was fun for a few hours, but I don’t think I can do this for an extended amount of time.”

Katrina suddenly looked indignant. “I don’t see why not? We have to. For life.”

I laughed nervously. “That’s not what I meant. I… “

Annette folded her arms. “What did you mean? You want to be able to stop being a woman when it’s no longer fun?”

I shook my head. “That’s not what I meant. Look. I apologize if I said anything offensive. But I gotta go.”

I heard them both laugh as I walked away.

I walked into my old office area. It all looked pretty much the same. They had taken my computer away already. Crap. I had some music files I wanted to get. Well, it’s not like I don’t have them on a thumb drive. I walked up to my desk and started opening drawers.

My old supervisor, Tom walked up almost next to me, “May I help you, miss?” Ms. Lane was his boss.

“I was just looking for some personal items in these drawers,” I said. I probably shouldn’t have used the word ‘personal’.

Tom scratched his unkempt hair. “I don’t think you’re supposed to be here, miss.” He chuckled. “Besides. Anything of value in that desk has already been ‘midnight requisitioned.’ The rest was tossed.”

I looked up and saw my toy Godzilla sitting on Bill’s desk. I pointed at Bill. “That Godzilla isn’t his.”

Tom took a step back and motioned for me to leave. “You need to leave this area, miss. Otherwise I’ll have to call Security.”

I remained seated in my old chair. “Call Ms. Lane. She’ll say it’s ok.”

Tom took a few steps away as he pulled out his cell phone. He talked for less than a minute on it. I couldn’t clearly hear anything he said. He walked back to me.

He folded his arms. “Miss, you really do need to leave. Ms. Lane said you’re Mr. Jones’ assistant and that you need to get back to your own desk. And like right now.”

I sighed heavily. How could they take my stuff so quickly? I pointed at Bill. “Can I have that Godzilla?”

Tom held up his phone with a finger hovering over the keypad. “I got Security on speed-dial. You should go, miss.”

I frowned at Tom. “Yes, sir.” I walked back to the elevator and returned to my desk.

When I got back I plopped down at my desk and tried to hide behind the large bouquet of flowers. Mr. Jones walked by and looked over at me.

“Oh good, you’re back. I left a hand written note on your desk,” he said leaning across my desk and pointing at the note. “Before you leave for lunch, would you mind creating the meeting invitation on the note to the managers I’ve listed. And clean up the wording a bit too.” He walked away. I smirked as he went. I thought, what am I, your secretary? Oh. I guess I am.

I logged back into my PC and started to create the meeting invite. I read over the text describing the meeting. Oh my God. He’s a high level manager, making gazillions of dollars and he writes like a third grader.

It didn’t take long to finish that task and send it out. I looked at the clock on the display. It was close to lunch, so I got up, picked up my purse and headed for the door. I didn’t know where I was going to go; I just wanted to get away. I kept telling myself that once I got used to things, it’d just be routine.

I almost turned around to go back up the elevator when the door opened onto the large lobby. There was Jack, sitting in a chair, reading his phone. Then I saw Jeff, standing in the lobby having a chat with what I assumed was a colleague. His eyes turned on me. A sudden idea struck me. The thought made me ill, but maybe it’d make Jeff finally go away. I started walking directly to Jack.

He saw me and stood up and smiled. As I approached, I said under my breath, “Kiss me. I’ll explain later.”

Jack grinned. “You don’t have to tell me twice.” When I got close, he put his hand behind my head, intertwining his fingers into my hair. He bent his face towards me and pressed his lips against mine. Oh my God! I wasn’t expecting such a kiss. I closed my eyes for a moment. A tingle shot down my spine. After a moment, I pulled away from his lips.

I frowned at Jack. “I meant on the cheek, you goof.” Oh my God! I just got kissed by a guy! On the lips! I couldn’t believe he’d do that. And why did I get a little tingle from it?

Jack smiled broadly. “Sorry. My bad.”

I looked over Jack’s shoulders. Jeff was nowhere to be seen. I hoped that was the last I would see of him.

Jack held my hands and smiled at me. “Not that I minded, but what was that about?”

I sighed. “I had a guy practically stalking me. I thought maybe if he saw you kiss me, he’d go away. And he did.”

Jack started to pull me towards him. “Maybe we should make sure.”

I stepped back. “I think we’re good. So. What brings you here?”

Jack shrugged. “I was hoping I could talk you into going out for lunch?”

I sighed. I was tired. “Sure. But I’ll pay for my own.”

Jack laughed. “Did I say anything about paying for yours?” He took my hand and led me to his car.

As he opened his car door for me, he asked, “Did you get my flowers?”

I smiled at him. “Oh yes! They were beautiful. Thank you. They brightened my day.”

We both got into his car. “I’m glad. I thought your first day as a woman would be a bit intimidating.”

I leaned my head against the head rest. “You can say that again. You know what they did? They terminated the real me. So for now I’m stuck!”

Jack frowned. “You mean I’m stuck with a gorgeous woman living in my apartment?” He put his car in motion to drive out of the parking lot.

“Knock it off, will you?” I rolled my eyes at him. “I’m definitely not gorgeous and I’m not a woman. I’m just stuck dressing as one.”

Jack shrugged. “I could think of worse things. But I also don’t think you realize how pretty you really are.”

I looked down at my feet. “Nobody’s ever called me pretty before. I’m not sure what to say.”

Jack grinned. “How about ‘thank you’?”

I laughed. “Thank you, Jack. I think you’re crazy, but thanks.”

Jack took us to a burger place for something fairly quick. I told him everything that happened in the morning. I was surprised that he seemed to listen intently to me. I was glad to release all my frustrations. He had insisted on paying for my lunch.

When he brought me back, he didn’t park. He drove close to the entrance to let me out.

As I opened the car door, Jack said, “I don’t know how often I can pick you up for lunch. I’ll try to call first next time, but I thought you might need some moral support today.”

Smiling, I replied, “Thanks, Jack. I really appreciate it.”

Jack leaned over and kissed me on the cheek. “Okay, honey. See you this evening.”

“Honey?”

Jack looked at me and asked in all seriousness, “Well, we’re dating, right?”

I shook my head. “No.”

Looking earnest, Jack said, “Wasn’t this a date?”

I rolled my eyes. “See ya later. Thanks for taking me to lunch.”

After I got out of the car and started walking to the entrance, I ran into Annette and Katrina returning from lunch as well.

Annette asked, “If you don’t mind me asking, who was that guy you were with?”

I shrugged. “Just a friend.”

Annette narrowed her eyes at me. “He kissed you.”

I shook my head. “He’s a goof ball. What can I say?”

Katrina said, “He’s a damned cute goof ball.”

Annette opened the glass door to the lobby. “Was he the one that sent you those flowers?”

I nodded.

Katrina giggled. “Garner has a boyfriend!”

I frowned and shook my head. “No. Garner does not.”

Annette giggled. “Yeah, right.”

I shrugged. “Well, you can believe whatever you want. I need to get back.”

Katrina giggled. “Okay, girlfriend. You know we’re just teasing you.”

I waved as I got on the elevator.

*          *          *

End Part 4

up
278 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Fantasy vs. Reality Check

Iolanthe Portmanteaux's picture

This story is having an interesting effect on me. Garner keeps bumping up against the reality of her situation. The lightest bump occurred when Jack pointed out that she ought to wear a robe, and not parade around in panties. Here was Garner thinking, "I'm me; I haven't changed; it's just a change of clothes."

Of course, the other changes follow.

I've had for years a version of this story as a recurring fantasy at one particular job from a few years back. It was a very testosterone-dominated office, where every man (except me) played in a high-impact, muscular sport. Most of them played football. The others played hockey or basketball. The women in the office were all assistants. All the women were exceptionally smart, but there was no way for them to move up in the company.

We had an afterwork softball team where we played against other companies, and -- in order to prevent bloodthirsty competition -- there were requirements that each team had a certain percentage of women playing and also a very low number of people who weren't employees. This was to prevent a bunch of bullies from ruining games against people who were playing for fun.

My co-workers chafed against the rules. They wanted to win at all costs, but their ruthless competitive drive drove women off our team.

The obvious solution (at least in my fantasy) would be for me to dress as a woman. Then of course circumstances at work would follow Garner's trajectory more or less: I'd have to dress at work, since the games started immediately after the workday. The rest you can work out yourself.

It was a fantasy, so in my mind everything would work out for the best -- for MY best.

And so, as I follow Garner living out my fantasy, it's fun, it's funny, it's satisfying, but at the same time it's sad, but not in a bad way. I mean, Garner gets to do what I wanted, but, like Garner, I never dwelt on the price.

So, it's like they say in Italy: "You wanted a bike -- now you have to pedal!"

(I hope it's clear that I'm loving the story!)

- io

Garner really needs to get to the bottom......

D. Eden's picture

Of who is screwing with his life. Personally, I think it is Ms. Lane. She seems to be enjoying this way too much, and every opportunity she gets she screws with Garner. She is also avoiding every opportunity to be supportive - like refusing to back up Garner when she came to get her personal things.

Perhaps she felt threatened by Garner’s talent as an analyst, or perhaps she saw this as an opportunity to get back at Garner or men in general for some perceived slight in the past. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see what happens, but Garner needs to have a chat with HR if you ask me. Both about the obvious deceit involved in the resignation letter, the change in gender status, and regarding the obvious harassment. There are several violations of the law in there.

As to a member of senior management writing like a three year old, yeah, I see that all the time. As a member of senior management, I am always amazed at poorly many of my peers write - not to mention just how terrible their hand writing is! Even the owner of the company commented shortly after I was hired how he needed to have me take notes at all meetings as not only was my hand writing neat, but I took four or five times as many noted as everyone else.

Guess it’s the engineer in me, lol.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Pigs and children

Jamie Lee's picture

Was Ms. Lane responsible for the male Garner being dropped from the company's employment list? If she was, Garner has a good case of fraud against her and the company.

The women Garner worked with act like they're still in middle school, because of the immature way they're acting. They think nothing of prying into the life of others, then pawn it off as teasing.

Garner needs to decide whether or not he's going to continue being treated as he's being treated, or blow the whistle about the whole thing. Because if he blows the whistle Ms. Lane will have a lot of explaining to do, especially about the letter Garner never wrote. And she could be the one without a job.

Others have feelings too.

Story so far

Melanie Brown's picture

Well, this is a deliberately non-serious story. It was intended to be amusing.

Melanie