Never Anger a Cat and Two Wolves Part 16

Printer-friendly version

Cheshire drove them to the house that Haylee gave her directions too. Julia was amazed that Haylee was able to ride a mountain bike the distance she did. It took them an hour by car to ride out to the house, which was in the middle of nowhere. It must have taken Haylee at least two hours or more to ride out to her.

Cheshire pulls the hummer up to an old rust color Ford pickup truck. She looks towards Julia “you stay here.”

“I’ll make sure she stays mom.” Tizzy had come along to make sure Alyona and Julia stayed in the car. Haylee was sitting next to her.

Cheshire gets out of the hummer and walks inside the house. The place needed to be burned down. She finds some camping equipment, she figures Haylee’s step-father must have been using. She finds a box with Haylee’s and her sisters Social Services files in them, along with a few other papers.

She finds Haylee’s step-father’s body lying on the floor in a pool of his own blood. She takes several snapshots of his body and the surrounding area as well. She spots his gun lying nearby with the slide extended backward. Which Cheshire knew meant it was empty. She looks around and spots a little girl’s body with long brown hair. She was wearing a tattered dress and lying in a pool of her own blood.

Cheshire makes sure she has pictures of everything. She could tell the little girl was shot from the front. She could see footprints in the dust covering the floor. She makes sure she takes pictures of them. She backtracks her steps and heads back outside to the hummer.

“Call your Captain, Julia and have him send a team out here.” Cheshire gets back in the hummer.

“Won’t he want to arrest me?” Haylee looked nervous and concern.

“No, you’re under my care and protection.” Julia dials her Captain’s number.

Boulder Police Department:
Captain Basset was enjoying his morning coffee and going over the latest reports into the investigation of the people who shot Officer Bounty, Officer Harris and Officer King when his desk phone rings.

“Hello, Captain Basset Office.”

“Good morning Captain. Can you send a patrol car to 251 Forest Grove Road?” Julia had spotted the name of the dirt road when they came down it.

“Julia, what have you done?” Captain Basset wonders what his K9 officer has done now.

He knew the Bounty family were known to take the law into their own hands at times. He knew that Jack himself was a former government agent with a lot of connections. He also knew Julia took after her father.

“I didn’t do anything Captain. Remember that girl and her sister I helped a while back? Well, they were kidnapped from their foster family by their step-father. He killed the foster family and the little girl. Haylee ended up shooting him. She came to the house to tell me. I and my aunt are down here at the house he had been holding the girls at. I’ve taken all the pictures and stuff you’re going to need. Haylee is going to be staying with my family.”

“Alright. I’ll send a detective to handle everything. Give them everything you got and keep me informed. If the detective gives you any problems, don’t sic Sphinx on them.” Captain Basset knew a detective once pissed Julia off and sics Sphinx at him.

“Sphinx isn’t with us, captain. He’s back home. He’s not fit for duty right now.” Julia wasn’t going to endanger her buddy.

“Alright, just be nice to the detective.” Captain Basset hangs up.

Julia looks towards Cheshire “he’s sending a Detective down here to handle this. He wants us to turn over everything we have to him.”

“He can have the pictures I took. I’ll save a copy for us. Also, Haylee acted in self-defense. There’s no way she could have protected her sister.” Cheshire would have skinned the man if he was still alive for what he did to his girls.

“Julia, will I be going back into foster care?” Haylee didn’t want to leave Julia.

“No, I’m going to adopt you as my daughter.” Julia wasn’t going to let Haylee go through what she did again. She’ll adopt her as hers and Christmas daughter.

Alyona has been sitting quietly and listening. She was sitting next to Tizzy. Haylee was sitting behind Julia with Tizzy in between them. They sat and waited for the detective to show up.

A black Dodge Challenger pulls up next to the Hummer and a tall, black hair man built like a football player gets out of the car. He looks at the Hummer and knew right away who it was. The windows might be blacked out, but he has seen this hummer before.

“Dam! They had to send that prick.” Julia didn’t like him at all.

He was the one that insulted her and Sphinx. In responses to his insult, she sics Sphinx on him. She rolls down her window “Hello, Detective Southwark.”

Southwark looks down at Julia “I should have known you would have something to do with this.”

“Actually, I’m glad I’m involved.” Julia gives him a sweet smile.

“I thought you were on medical leave and haven’t been cleared yet to come back to work.” Detective Southwark had heard what happened to Julia Bounty and her dam wolf.

He wanted that damn dog put down for the bite he gave him, but Julia’s captain stopped the request. He really didn’t like Julia Bounty. He had heard how she got her job and how she basically got away with a lot more than most cops.

“I am, but the person you were called out here about came to my home and is under my protection. If you want to talk with her, she's right here sitting behind me.” Julia knew he would want to talk with Haylee.

“Alright, let me talk with her.” Detective Southwark pulls his notebook out and gets ready to interview Haylee.

Haylee rolls down her window and tells Detective Southwark everything she told Julia. When she was done she had tears streaming down her cheeks. She feels Tizzy’s arms wrapped around her and hold her.

“I just sent you the pictures I took of Haylee. Also, my aunt sent you pictures of what she took inside as well.” Julia knew Detective Southwark’s email.

Detective Southwark was surprised to hear Julia had an aunt. Her file had a few people listed.

“You brought a civilian to a crime scene and let her walk around inside?” Southwark couldn’t believe what Julia did.

“No, I brought my father’s partner who knows about crime scenes.” Julia didn’t need to tell Detective Southwark that Cheshire is a retired CIA Black Op’s agent.

“What type of work did she do with your father?” Detective Southwark wanted to know.

“Stuff that’s above your paygrade, Detective.” Cheshire had opened her door and got out. She was looking at him.

Detective Southwark saw the older Oriental woman looking at him. He could tell just by looking at her eyes that she was dangerous. He felt that she wasn’t the type of woman you wanted coming after you.

Cheshire just glares at the dumbass detective. She heard how he spoke to Julia. She doesn’t know what his problem was with her, but she was going to put an end to it.

“You should have the pictures I took in an email I sent you. Like Julia said.” Cheshire had let Julia send the pictures from her cell phone.

“Where can I reach you, if I need to ask you any questions?”

“I thought you were a Detective?” Cheshire gets back into the Hummer.

Julia wanted to laugh at Cheshire’s comment.

“See you later Southwark.” Julia rolls up her window as Cheshire backs the hummer up.

“I can’t believe you said that mom.” Tizzy was looking towards her mother.

“It doesn’t take 2+2 to figure out where I will be.” Cheshire just drives them home.

“That’s my mom.” Tizzy had a smile on her face.

Alyona and Haylee just grin at Tizzy’s statement.

Liger picture: Photo Courtesy of Myrtle Beach Safari
Two Wolves: Published: MARKO

up
223 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Detective Southwark is an idiot with a grudge against Julia.

Why do I have the feeling that he is going to try to mess with the evidence from the scene, possibly to implicate Julia?

He could tell that messing with Cheshire was not a smart thing to do, but he was still antagonistic to them when they were trying to help him by providing evidence. There is prior bad blood between Southwark and Julia due to Sphinx biting the guy at some point (on a case?).

I wonder if he has any idea of just what sort of shit he would be in if he tries to set Julia up for a fall here. BIG mistake if he does.

Aw, what a shame!

Jamie Lee's picture

So little sister was killed, but that pig didn't fair any better. Thankfully! Nice thing about pigs getting what the deserve, they won't done it again.

Why has Southwark taken such a dislike to Julia to the point he got bit? Is he angry because how she got her job? Or because she's better than he is at bringing in criminals? Whatever his problem he best put it to bed before he finds himself wearing a different type of clothing.

If Southwark is smart, which is doubtful, he will investigate the crime scene professionally, including the foster parents, and put his hatred aside. Because if he tries to mess with the Bounties using both crime scenes, he'll quickly learn the error of his ways.

Others have feelings too.