Alex & Chris Chapter 14

Printer-friendly version


Alex & Chris
By Sharphawlad


Chapter 14 Linda & Linze in Scarborough.

The Manageress, “We never got to introduce ourselves properly. I am Doris & my sister is Dora she and Christobell have been friends for a in time. Come let’s get to the shop as I need to deal with the mail & find some staff.”

As they were speaking young woman came in and said, “Excuse me do you happen to know if the owner is hiring as I am looking for a job and so is my twin sister?”

“Doris, “Yes she is in urgent need of staff, but we will have to test you. This lady need several very expensive dresses which would you recommend and why?”

“Madam what function do you need the dresses for is it for a formal a Party or everyday wear?”

Clara, “Actually I need dresses to cover all eventualities. There even may be an occasion when I have to attend the palace.”

“If that was the case then I will start with that and work through all the others.”

Dora had just finished the correspondence when the other girl came in and said, “I am looking for my sister she came in here looking for a job for us.”

Dora looked at the pile of dresses at the side of Clara. “Madam Will that be all?”

Yes I will take all of these.”

“Ah your twin is here now you both can act as mannequins for me and model exactly the same range of things. If there is not two of something I am not interested. Dora can you can ring these items up and put them in my car. While I am here I found these on the desk I will take them as they will do for the show.”

Dora's face paled and said, “Oh my god I left them out.” “Lady Shortfall ordered them and then changed her mind. I had intended to return them.”

The second girl looked at them and said, “Madame these are an excellent cut of Diamonds and Sapphires set in white gold. I do not know how much madam has them marked up at, but I would if I was selling them have them at £1,000,000 sterling. “

Clara, “Doris if the amount is anywhere near that then you have a sale.”

Doris, “Actually it is slightly more than that because Lady Shortfall had two daughters who she wanted similar items for I was wanting £2,000,000 for all three sets.”

“Madam if I could advise you I would buy all the sets as they are worth far more than that. I was trained at Garrard's the Royal Jewellers and I know what I could get in London for them.”

Doris, “You have your sale now girls. Do let’s see just how much commission you can earn on your first day as our employees.”

“Madam you have twin daughters our age & therefore similar in our dress size.”
“My daughters are both size 12.” In that case we can model the correct sizes for you. This time Doris & Dora took all the dresses and rang up the till finally the girls came in slightly different outfits.

“They were in the same patens but different styles of clothing. Madame we know you wanted identical but sometimes twins also like a break. This is the last unless you wish us to model Underwear or swim wear. “

Clara, “Let’s see how much more a dent you can put in my bank balance.”

“Yes Madame This time may we model the alternatives at the same time and it will be quicker for us.”

Clara, “Yes no yes, yes” until Clara said “Is that all or is there anything slightly naughty.”

Doris cracked out laughing when the girls appeared with something in their hands. They said, Madame sometimes these are a girls best friends.”

Doris said, “Do I take that as a sale madam.”

Christobell was also laughing and said, “Yes Doris you can give us all one each for what we have spent with you.”

Doris. Girls what did you get in London & you young lady where did you work?”

Well Madame I was sales Manager of the clothing section of Harrods Miss Department. I was on standard London rates plus 20% commission & my sister got 18% commission plus London rate Madame. “Sorry I forgot to state our names I am Linda and this is Linze My Twin She was area manager for the stores. We only moved here to be back with mum and decided on cold calling on stores we liked the look of for jobs.”

Doris said, “Well girls I am offering Basic Yorkshire Rates & commission of 25%. Except when there is a sale & that is at a lower rate. I am not even bothering to ask to see your credentials. My sister and I will engage you the both of you. But first I have to work your commission out for today's sales & perhaps you could spend some of it with me and earn yourself further commission.”

Christobell said, “I need help girls we have to close a house down and dispose of what is not put into the van. Will £20 an hour do?

Linze said, “We have already earned enough off you today & I doubt that our bosses are charging you so we will not either but after we have done the job perhaps we could have a meal.”

Christobell handed the girls a box and said, “Tell me how much this is worth.”

“Madam at Yorkshire prices or London?”

Doris laughed and said, “Yorkshire prices of course.”

“In that case Madame you would not have been robbed if you paid around £100,000 for them like the other gems though I would have them insured at London rates at least.

Doris passed another box over and said, “Christobell we believe you miscounted last time. Our stock is seriously depleted so there is no point opening, our new department heads could decide what to sell and tidy up the place up a little.”

Linda said, “We both realise this place is for the Poshest of the posh. But even a shop girl occasionally likes to be able to say she owns a Dior or Westward outfit. May I propose we put some of the slower selling items on a sale rail aimed at younger less cash oriented females?”

Doris said, “First choose a couple of dresses each those are your uniforms & I expect you to remain smart. Now other than the remaining jewellery you can clear the remaining stock today for whatever you can get for it. We have to go now but we will be back at lunch time to see how you are coping it will be very quiet though.”

As soon as they were out of the door the girls found some card and wrote Originals all clearance items one day sale only. Make us an offer day. All dresses marked with original price. One girl passing and saw one of the dresses was marked at £1,000 she tried the dress on and it fit perfectly. Rather apprehensively she said, “Will you take £200 for this?”

“Certainly madam we will not be running this offer again for some time so if there is anything else you want.”

“Well I have spent all I was going to on a dress. I do need some other items. “I doubt that you have all I need though.” Footwear, lingerie, earrings & all accessories for a formal.”

Linze, “Honestly what can you pay for what else you need?”

“I have to go to the bank for another £300 & then I am broke.”

“So really you need to spend £275 so you have something left for the dance. If you go for the money we will work out what we can do for you and get you a complete set.”

“Linze when we were looking for jobs I noticed a stall selling Shoes in the market. Take this money and buy some shoes to go with the dresses we have left. Try and get a discount.”

On the way to the bank the girl saw some of her friends and said, “I am getting my outfit from Poshest of posh. They are doing a special offer a complete set of all we need for the dance for £500. I am going to the bank now for my remaining money and then I collect the outfit.”

up
83 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos