Alex & Chris Chapter 19

Printer-friendly version


Alex & Chris
By Sharphawlad

Chapter 19 Jade & Girls dance at Leeds Grand Theatre.

Jade, “Astrid the dance they want you to do is the one where I spin then you spin and I catch you in the air.”

Astrid, “Like we did for the old lady in the shop.”

Jenny, “Could you do it for me now?”

Jade spun & so did the other three followed by Astrid's leap into Jades arms.”

“Yes you will do fine. If you other ladies will take your seats we will sort out these three with outfits. I would also like to talk to you Lady Alexis after the show. Well we have arranged to meet family, but you are welcome to join us, and if I know the girls they will be hungry again.” Rose, Allison & Alexis took their seats for the second half.

Helen & Lesley joined them and asked “Where are the girls?”

Allison, “They are preparing to come on stage now.” They all skipped on and danced around and then Astrid performed her leap. Then older females came on and did the same thing. Astrid and the two little ones did not know what to do so they copied the main dancers and did all they did. Then they all took their final bow.

The Old lady came on and said, “Ladies and gentlemen if it was not for four young ladies agreeing to act as a last minute stand in we would not have been able to perform the last scene. I wish to thank Lady Alexis & their mother for allowing us to borrow them.”

“I had the privilege of seeing them dance earlier today and realised they were the answers to my prayers. Thank you again Grand Duchess for allowing us to borrow them.”

The four girls came running back with a carrier bag each and said, “These are our costumes we are all proper ballerinas and they want to speak to you about us.”

Madame accompanied with Jenny appeared. “I was wondering if we could borrow these four for the remaining shows as they are all very good in fact we would like Jade to appear in the chorus in both parts.”

Alexis looked at Helen and said, “Getting them here is no problem & neither is taking them home. Rose could you Tilly or Alice act as Chaperones for them?”

Astrid looked at Rose with pleading eyes. “What do I have to do?”

Madam “Nothing.” “Just see they are safe. The wardrobe mistress & makeup will do all the rest.”

Jenny, “Astrid tells me you want a teacher for her is that correct?”

Helen, “We were wondering if the great hall would do.”

Jenny, “You actually may be able to help me. Madame had been persuading me to open a school in Leyburn but I could not find suitable premises.”

“If the great hall is OK would it be possible for me to advertise lessons at your home? I would be willing to pay you rent for the hire of the Hall.”

Helen, “Well you will have at least there pupils & possibly more.”

Jenny, “Lady Alexis, “I would like to take you up on an offer of a meal but I want to go across the road to get a bargain.”

“Ah yes that reminds me Robert & the others will be waiting for us. If you want your Bargain Jenny you better get across there before us because we are going on a major spending spree. See you in the dress department then. “

Robert looked at the shoe department and said, “They are all top quality.”

The manager saw Alexis has returned. “Madame how can I help you.”

Robert, “You are closing down how many pairs of shoes & boots have you left.”

Men's ladies and children we have 10,000 pairs,

Robert, “I see you have reduced them greatly but I am willing to take all of them off you for £15.000 now.”

“The lot.” The manager told the staff to clear and box all the shoes and load them on a van.

Betty did a quick estimate of the children & baby section. “Girls could we have another special with all this stuff?”

Robert looked at it all “There is far more here than what we have just sold. In fact some would do for the new store. Actually we could go round all their stores and purchase all we need. Selling them as specials would give us something to do while the new store opens.”

Doris & Dora, “We cannot wait to get to the dress section & we know Jeff wants to put an offer for the men’s wear. Again the manager accepted the offer Robert made & had everything boxed up & sent to the warehouse for dispatch.

Robert, “I suppose you think we are picking up all your bones.”

The manager said, “Actually the group over reached themselves and, I have been told to get what I can including the fixture and fittings. They will not fetch much as nobody wants them these days.”

Robert, “£1,500 for the lot. All to be stripped down & cleaned and loaded into containers until we are ready for them.”

Astrid, “Linda & Linze will you come to the jewellery section. There is a lady there who tried to tell me that some Glass & paste were real diamonds.”

Linze said, “I have to see this.”

“Hello” said the Lady “Can I sell you something?”

“Remember the cheap necklaces you tried to sell me.”

“Oh I have just remembered you from this morning; I suppose these are your sisters who taught you.”

“Linze said, “Yes actually you are correct. I am Linze & this is Linda.”

The woman brought out the good stuff first. “This is all we have left in the good stuff and it is a bargain at what we are asking. If I did not have to worry about getting another job I would have bought this myself.

Alexis, “When does your job finish?”

“When I have sold the last of this range of costume jewellery.”

Astrid, “I will give you £100 for all in the box of costume Jewellery.”

“Is she kidding?” the lady said to the manager who was laughing at Astrid.

“I doubt it very much and I will accept your offer young lady. Could I also interest you in the toy section?”

The twins said, “We might be.”

Astrid, “Rose pay the lady for me please.”

Linze, “Well it is the first time I have used this, “Linda “What should I pay “

Astrid & Linda said, “For what is left no more than “£100,000.

Alexis,” I told you she was good.” Astrid wanted to take all her purchases with her.

Helen, “What do you want with all of that?”

“It is easy most will go as presents to my friends, but I noticed certain other items had dropped into the box I bought.”

Linze looked through and then Linda burst out laughing. “I thought I had a bargain but you have a better bargain.” She pulled out a single solitaire diamond on an 18 carat gold necklace followed by earrings.

Betty looked at the woman who was shocked and she said, “Please tell me I have not just sold the little girl a £2,000,000 necklace set for £100.”

Astrid, “Now do you understand I do know my gems.”

Alex, “I will pay the difference.”

The manager, “No the young lady said she would pay £100 for all in the costume box and that is what she got.”

Betty, “Linda & Linze I presume you will be on purchasing with Robert for the next few weeks. I am going to need help in my shop until the new store is ready. How do you fancy a job selling clearance items with me?”

Robert, “We can offer you a full-time job in six months until then we will be having a few specials. There is accommodation with the job and I presume Astrid will be in to see you.”

The manager, “You have nothing left here now but I can pay you till the end of the week.”

Beatrice, “I will be accepting the offer as there are another 999 here chasing jobs. Why me? There are others here who could do with a job.”

Betty, “May be but not all of them could move as you can.”

Astrid, “If you listen to my advice you will take up Betty on her offer. She needs a companion. Also I need a part time grandma to teach about Jewels.”

“What would my duties as part- time grandma include?”

Helen said, “My daughters need a chaperone for the next two weeks. So they can go to the Theatre. They are needed at the Grand theatre so from tomorrow there is a job for you and then we will see about moving you.”

Astrid,” You can come with us now grandma as my sisters want to buy a few toys.”

“OK I will take the job I will be Nanny Beatrice if that is OK.”

“Big sisters are you coming with us while they all go looking at Clothes.”

They found that the majority of the toys had been sold already. They spotted three baby borne dolls and sets of clothing.

Astrid, “Grandma we will have these. Do they have a train set?”

“We only have the display set which is on a board but it can be taken down.”

Beatrice, “Well I have a new job as a nanny to these three girls. Have you any electronic or remote items?”

“Only some remote boats & planes & nobody is interested in them.”

Astrid’s eyes lit up when she saw the boats & planes.

Alexis, “Did you say the train set is part of the display.”

“Yes Madam but I can have a word with the manager.”

Alexis, “In that case I have already bought it with all the other fixtures & fittings. Have it put in the van to go to our home as I do not want that going in storage.”

Beatrice looked at the prices on the baby Borne and said, “I will buy them for my granddaughters. Each girl had a package she was clutching hold of.

Alexis looked at a pile of soft toys, “I will give you 20p each for them all.”
Astrid, “We do not need them we have plenty.”

Lesley, “There are some children in hospital who would love to have a soft toy like that. Perhaps in the mornings you three and your Grandma could deliver some to Leeds general infirmary.” Leslie noticed there was a selection of computer games and put them to one side,

Madame some are educational and we have one Play station two left and one x Box. Sorry but all the good stuff has gone.”

Astrid said, “Will it play PlayStation one games.”

“Yes Madame but these are older games like Spyro & Croc.”

“Good I always wanted to play that.”

The assistant brought a trolley and said, “That is about all my stock but for the electronic Horses and I have loads of them. “Would you be interested at 10p each?” The Manager came to see how it was going. “The Lady has just bought the soft toys to give away at the hospital & she wanted a train set but all we have is the display model.”

“Then that is hers already.” The manager noticed the stuff placed in a trolley, “What is left now?”

“Only these costumes sir.”

“Well girls these are children’s clothing and as I understand that have already been purchased so they better go in with your shopping.”

Leslie, “You will be cursing us.”

“Actually you have done me a great favour as what is left can easy be transferred to our York store on Clifton moor.”

Alexis, “Where are your other stores? I have a feeling we will be visiting them also.”

The manager joked by any chance would you like to buy the van all the clothing has gone into. It is reasonable. It needs a class one driver I will have all the other items placed in containers as you wish.”

Alex. “They can be transported here until we need them.”

Alex said, “I remember this place in it’s hey day when Lewis had it. What will become of the store?”

“I do not honestly know as only this & Clifton Moor sites have not been sold. By the time you have finished there is only Crockery- Hardware, Bedding & make up counters left & they are all on the bottom floor.”

Alex said, unless the girls want a bit of makeup none of those interests us.”

Robert who had overheard this said, “How many vans have you?”

“Two sir.”

“Well I will take them and all the remaining stock unseen for £10,000.” Alexis looked at Robert, “That includes all the crockery in the cafe. I will take the first van but you can bring the second.”

“It will take some time for everything to be packed up. “I will oversee the work. May I ask why you want all our old fittings?”

“Alexis, “Simply we are building a store although it is limited to Clothing & Jewels and shoes.”

“Why the crockery and Bedding then?”

Robert, “I have a market stall and I can clear them easy on that.”

“I presume you intend going to Clifton moor to go shopping” “Allow me to ring up the manager. He says £100,000 for the lot including transport.”

Alexis said, “Tell him you have sold everything.” Now once your work is done you are finished here?”

Well my wife and I had thought of retiring to the east coast.” “We had our eye on a cottage just off Columbus ravine in Scarborough.”

Robert, “In that case how about coming and giving me a hand on my stall & see what we can get for what has just been bought. My assistant is leaving to get married and she will after her honeymoon be working elsewhere.”

“Well after tonight I have nothing keeping me here & perhaps I will take you up on your offer. I am going for a meal & then tomorrow I have to bank the last taking. After that it will be one last look round here and pay the staff off.”

Beatrice, “Will it be OK if I bring the girls to collect my wages and show my granddaughters off.”

Alexis, “Actually that might be a good idea but Alice will also be with you as she needs to come in. Then you could distribute the soft toys for us.”

up
46 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos