Alex & Chris Chapter 8

Printer-friendly version

Alex & Chris
Chapter 8 Tilly & Aunt Christobell go to a show.
By Sharp

Back in Scarborough Aunt & Niece had quickly got all the shopping required. Rose had also mentioned.

Christobell, “I could do with going for some special outfits. I need a complete wardrobe & rather fast most of my other stuff can be dumped.”

Tilly, “Shopping with you is almost like shopping with Aunt but more fun.”

“Ah lass I could tell you were Arthur's child as soon as I saw you as you are a feminine version of him. I was never happier when he was with me. It took my daughter's a while to tell me what they had done & I realised then that this day would come. That is why the house is almost empty. What I did not realise was the girl’s father was my own nephew. Helen gave me a good description of him & she said, "He is like a big version of the girls." It was some time before I realised who the father might be and which of my sister was the mother.”

“That would be Claire Madame she was the only one not to have a child by Arthur Day.”

“So how may more daughters do I have?”

“Well there is Angela who is Clara’s daughter; it gets confusing with those two with similar names. And there is Chris who is married to Alex but is Arthur's daughter by his secretary.”

“So are you all living together.”

“I think we will now and the girls will be calling me big sister as well rather than cousin or aunt.”

“Well I know my title already I am Nana so there will be no confusion there.”

“Aunt, Alex had to go into hospital & whilst there something vital was removed accidentally. We all were rather shocked so we now Call Mr. Alex miss Alexis so we would be grateful if you did the same. That is why I looked for the clinic to see if any samples were still available.”

“So some of my nieces also want my nephew’s children also.”
“That is it in a nut shell & so does Miss Chris. I only wanted to surprise them after Miss Alexis told me how she had paid her way through college. She is actually quite a grafter & now will stand no nonsense from Miss Angela.”

“It appears young lady that you all need a senior matron to keep you all in hand. Did my daughter have a stockpile of the required item?”

“Actually yes.”

“Now on to serious things Tilly I need some presents for my nieces & sisters. What would you get the girls Tilly? I have a lot of missed birthdays and Christmas to make up for.”

“Well I presume you also include the little girls I would get for them a complete makeup set you know one of those large silver boxes. For the adults I would get them a nice evening dress and some Dior perfume.”

“Tilly that is what we get plus some chocolate for everyone.”

“Miss Chris will love that she has a sweet tooth and sometimes I think she prefers it to sex.”

“Tilly you are awful.”

Tilly looked at her watch. “Aunt it is time for plan A whatever that meant.”

Aunt Christobell, “We go in here. It’s a salon and boutique. Yes we will get all we need from here plus a complete makeover.”

Tilly looked at the dresses. “May I choose them all? Angela would go crackers in here and probably buy most of the stock.

Christobell “Is there anybody else at home you have not told me about.”

“Only Terri, Alice & Rose. They were sort of Miss Angela servants but now Miss Alex is in charge they are more like friends.”

“Then they shall have the same as the others I want nobody omitted. I noticed you have already put my cases in the car. Well as you have done so we can dispose of them all at the sailor’s welfare.”

“I see you are worried how much all this is costing me. It is costing me less than I make interest in a day. Two years ago I won 27 million on the national lottery so I can afford it in fact until today it had been sat they’re doing nothing. I did not even tell the girls as I had no intention of disrupting their lives, but now you know I am not a pauper. Also my husband he is still with us even if it is a small wooden box. I always knew he was playing away but not with whom. When I had both my babies he vanished both times.”

“Well then he illegally married Miss Clara during, 78 but he was carrying on with mum at the same time & I was born in 79. Then miss Angela was born 80 & so was Miss Alex & I am not sure on miss Chris all I know her mother was his private secretary. Wendy Woodshed was her name, But she is dead now madam.”

“Oh that is who the father of Christine was. I never suspected Arthur there. I am also her god mother as Wendy was my best friend.”

Tilly, “As she is already accepted as a daughter it would be better if we forgot who her mother is. It is perhaps better if we don't rake over the coals but make the best of what already have.”

“Wendy moved away and I lost contact with her & I guess the reason now. I still owe my god daughter some extra presents just as I owe all my daughters or nieces.”

The assistant came in and said, “Madame we are ready for you now.”

Christobell, “Will you take all the items I have purchased and place them in the boot and at the same time dispose of the two cases to the sailors welfare.”

Tilly, “You cannot miss the car, as it will be the only Rolls in front of the market hall.”

Here are the keys Tilly looked at the boxes. “I could come and help you. Also as I put some photos in the cases, and they need to come out as only the clothing has to go to the sailor’s welfare.”

A voice said, “Madam Will you strip down to bra and pants please.” Tilly found the two of them were getting the full works.

“This is nice it is a while since I had a full make over.” All too soon they were both ready.

Christobell, “We need to put on our new dresses now.”

The shopkeeper, “Sorry I took them all to the car but you can have another couple on me. I have these two dresses in the back of the shop. They are quite suitable for going to a show at Futurist.”

Christobell, “Dora by any chance have you a couple of stoles or coats.”

“I thought you might ask that so I have two mink cloaks if they will do.”

“Well are you bringing the dresses then? It is getting cold here in our almost nothing.”

“They are lovely & so are the cloaks.”

“If Madame desires there is just one thing you need now & that is some adornment with trinkets.” She brought out two boxes, “Will these do? They are rather expensive though.”

Tilly head nearly popped out of her head. “They must be worth £100.000 at least.”

“Correct miss that is the exact price. I also wondered if these miniature sets would interest you?”

“You old fox you know very well that you already have three sets for me well I am going to confound you . We will take the sets but I want some extra sets”. “Let’s see two sisters, two daughters and four nieces, one of whom is here.”

“Is that all Christobell?”

Christobell said, “No there are another three nieces.”

“It is a good job I ordered extra on sale or return.”

Christobell, “Now that creates me a problem I cannot leave all that valuable Jewellery in the car.”

“I have thought of that I booked you and your niece in the Royal and they will hold it in there safe until 08.00 which should be about when you get to depart after breakfast.”

Tilly burst out laughing, “After all I am ending up at the Royal. Well if we are going there we have to look regal.”

“I booked us all tea and breakfast so there is no excuse now. Also I am driving you two to the theatre and will return for you when the show finishes at 9.30. Now for you to arrive in style. I will go and collect your car and then take you to the hotel. We will all have tea and then after you have a liqueur I will take you to the show.”

Christobell, “I ought to have bought you a set but I think you will have made enough today out of me.”

They went to the reception at the Royal Hotel and the receptionist said, “Your secretary has already booked and paid Madam.”

Christobell, “Can you show my driver were to park the car. I will need it again later tonight.”

“Yes certainly madam.” She snapped her fingers and said, “Boy will you show the ladies to their room.” They were laughing away when the driver appeared.

The secretary said, “Is your boss as wealthy as she looks.”

“Well I do not know how much she has but I know she has spent over a million in a boutique today. Oh that reminds me can you put these in the safe until 8.00 in the morning.”

“Yes certainly we put you in a single next to madam is that OK.”

“Yes that will be fine.”

Once again the boy was summoned to take the driver to her room. The secretary put a time lock on the safe. “I did not believe that sort still existed still. They would have been perfect here in our heyday. Who did the call come from?”

“She called herself Lady Middleham's secretary. Well that must be Lady Middleham & Daughter.”

up
46 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos