Kira - Chapter 15 - Kira Gives Her Mother A Surprise

Printer-friendly version

Kira - Chapter XV - Kira gives her mother a surprise.

Thirty days goes really fast when you're having fun. I guess with school and everything, these four weeks just flew by. Tomorrow we had to be in court again for mother's sentencing. We don't have to be there, but I want to be, because, well, she is my mother. Maybe she can get help where she is going, if she wants it. But mother went to the state hospital to have a psychiatric evaluation. I wonder what the doctor is going to say. Well, we will find out tomorrow.

Today however, I had just gotten back from school, when Mrs. Jenkins called to tell us to be in court tomorrow at nine in the morning, if we wanted to be at my mother's sentencing. Mrs. Jenkins said that from the reports, she is going to recommend the maximum sentence because the reports showed mother didn't take part in any of the therapy programs telling the doctors there is nothing wrong with her mind.

Katie, Danny and daddy was there listening on the speaker phone. Daddy had that look of sadness on his face when Mrs. Jenkins said that. Katie just sat back further in the chair she was sitting on, and Danny looked dazed. I did not know what to say, when Mrs. Jenkins brought us all out of our reverie.

"Yes, Mrs. Jenkins, we understand," daddy said, sounding a bit disappointed. "We will see you in court tomorrow morning."

"Daddy, why won't mom listen?"

"I don't know, punkin. I only wish there is something we can do. I have heard that at a person's sentencing, the judge will allow people to speak on the person's behalf. If the judge will allow it, maybe we can make a last effort to get her in the hospital. She doesn't belong in a prison."

"I think she needs a lot of help too. I will ask Mrs. Jenkins if I can say something about that before the judge sentences her."

Katie and Danny made the dinner for tonight, and they made roast beef, rice, peas, and for dessert we had apple crumb cake. The dinner was good, and we ate in some silence. The only thing we talked about was, what I did at school, and how everybody else's day had gone. Katie and I cleaned up, and then we all went in the living room to watch tv. But daddy had a better idea. Why didn't we just tell stories. We all agreed and he started telling us a scary ghost story.

When he got to the scary parts, he would emphasize them, and we would jump. Katie and I would scream at times, and daddy and Danny would laugh, and Katie and I would giggle. When daddy was finished with his story, he ended by going BOOOOO! Katie and I jumped. This was a story where the ghost actually won.

Then Danny told us a story of a woodsman that got lost in the woods, and he didn't know which way was what. So he started chopping down trees so he could see where he was. After he had chopped ten trees down, the woodsman heard a wolf growl, and he looked behind him. When he saw the wolf, he took out a piece of raw meat from his pack, and threw it at the wolf. The wolf grabbed it and ran. The next day the wolf returned, and the woodsman gave him another piece of meat. After a few days, the woodsman ran out of meat, so the wolf ate him. Katie and I went ewwwwwwww, and Danny and daddy just laughed.

"I don't think there is anything funny about a story like that, Daniel Michael."

"Oh oh, Danny, I think you're in big trouble now." We all laughed a little as Danny turned beet red. Of course, daddy was only joking, but Katie had that sisterly, you're deep doo doo buster look on her face. This is what it was like when mother was at home. The laughter filled the neighborhood, and everybody knew, just knew that we were a fun family, until mother hit me that day. Then the laughter stopped for a while, and now it is back again.

Then they asked me to tell a story, and I told one about a mother who slapped her youngest child, and was arrested, but later on she came to her senses, and was sorry for what she had done. I started crying as I was relating the story, and I could hardly finish. Katie held on to me, and said it was ok to cry. I told them that this mother was then returned to her family after being placed on probation, and was actually in the daddy's custody. I said that after a few days of silence, the laughter they knew as a complete family came back, and the family circle was now complete.

I don't remember how I got in bed or when I went to sleep. Katie came in my room to wake me up.

"Time to get up little sister. If you want to go to court this morning, you should get a shower. You don't have time for a bath. I will get your clothes out while you shower."

"How did I get in bed, Katie?"

"You fell asleep in my arms, and Danny carried you upstairs, and I got you in your nightgown. Do you remember anything about last night?"

"I remember daddy and Danny telling us stories, but nothing after that."

"Okay, go and get your shower, we gotta get going."

After I was dressed in my powder blue lingerie, dress, stockings and powder blue Mary Jane's, I made sure my hair was presentable in a high pony tail, and Katie and I went downstairs. Daddy said we didn't have time for breakfast because we all overslept, but we would get something after court was over.

When we got to the courtroom door, Mrs. Jenkins was there. "So you did come. That's good. It is nice to see you again Kira."

"Mrs. Jenkins, instead of mother going to prison or a state hospital, can't she come home with us on probation? Please, Mrs. Jenkins. I would mean so much to all of us, and then she could get the real help she needs. Family help, to make her understand that I am her daughter. Please, Mrs. Jenkins."

"You are someone very special Kira. All you want is what is best for everyone, and it doesn't matter what they did to you. All I can say is, I wish that the whole world could see what you see through your eyes. Let's go in the courtroom, and I will talk to defense counsel and see what he thinks."

We went in the courtroom, and sat down. Mrs. Jenkins went over by Mr. Weeks who is mother's lawyer. They talked for a while, then David said they were ready to start.

"All rise, gentlemen take off your hats, the circuit court, branch 32 is now in session, the honorable Jessica Dawson, presiding, silence is commanded." As the judge sat down, David said be seated.

"David, the first case please."

"Yes, your honor, case number F-3265, the state versus Lillian Spelling, felony battery to a minor, set for sentencing, your honor."

"Thank you, David. Yes, I remember this case well. Will the defendant please approach the bench."

"Your honor," Mrs. Jenkins interrupted. "The family has a few things they would like to say."

"Very well. Who will speak first?"

Daddy spoke first and stated that he wished that mother would be senteced so that she could get the help she needed. Danny and Kattie said the same thing, and then it was my turn.

"Your honor, I know that what mother did is inexcusable but not unforgiveable. What I would like the court to do is send mother home to us, on probation, so that she can get the real help she needs. Your honor, real help doesn't come from strangers with degrees, it comes from the family. She is still our mother, and even though she and daddy are divorced, daddy is an attorney, and knows how to help her with love and family bonding. That is what mother needs.

"Your honor, before mom and daddy were divorced, there was a lot of laughter and gaeity in our home. I would like to have that back again. Mrs. Jenkins said she wants to ask for the maximum sentence, but I know that will only harden her heart against everybody, not just her family.

"Your honor, mother is not a bad woman, she just has a certain way about her. What I propose is this. Have her go with me to the hospital, so Dr. Fitzgibbons can do an ultra sound of my abdomen, with mother sitting right there looking at the images on the screen. Then she can see for herself that I am biologically female. Your honor, I propose that mother be given two years probation, and placed in my daddy's care. Please, your honor."

"Never, in all of my years on the bench, have I ever seen such a heartfelt plea for a defendant, even from their family. You all must love her very much. Mrs. Jenkins, Mr. Weeks, my chambers, please."

The attorney's and mother went in the chambers. They were in there for about twenty minutes, and when they came out, they were smiling. Even mother.

"Alright, the family of the defendant has made a very heartfelt plea, and I cannot argue with the logic that real help comes from family bonding. Mrs. Spelling, it is the order of this court that you be sentenced to ten years in the state prison for women. However, I will stay that sentence and place you on two years probation, and placed in the custody of your ex-husband and children. If you complete your probation successfully, I will discharge you from custody. Mr. Spelling, as an officer of the court, I want monthly reports sent to Mrs. Jenkins, so she can file them with the court. Do you understand?" Daddy said yes, and the judge continued. "Mrs. Spelling, you have Kira to thank for this. She is one very cool young lady, and only wants what is good for others. But, if anything like this ever happens again, I will sentence you very harshly. Do you understand?"

"Yes, your honor, I do, and thank you. Thank you Kira and everybody."

"Then it is so ordered, and as soon as you collect your things from the jail, you may leave with your family. David, I will take a short recess."

The deputy that brought mother to the courtroom, walked back with us to the jail, so mother could get her things. He gave a card to the deputy sitting at the desk, and said "probation". When mother had her things, she signed a few papers, and then we left.

"Thank you all for getting me out of this. I really appreciate it very much."

"Mom, all we want is for us to be a family again. Your being here is because we all love you. It took me a while to think about this, and when I did, I knew, just knew you weren't bad. But if you can't accept me as your youngest daughter, then we have to take you so you can see the ultra sound being performed."

"Well, I guess I have to accept you. Mr. Weeks showed me the ultra sound pictures when the judge told him to talk to me. I'm sorry I hit you, sweetie. I will not disappoint any of you again."

I gave mom a hug and told her that the past is forgotten, and now we start brand new. I told her I loved her, and that from now on she is going to see that as a family, things will be a lot clearer than they were when everybody was separated. She smiled, and hugged me back, and I was glad I had mother back with us, even if it was court ordered. Well, tomorrow is a brand new day, and we can start from there if we have to. But I was to find out that I didn't have to wait that long.

When we pulled in to the drive way at home, Danny got out and gave mom a hand with her things. He took her upstairs and showed her which room was hers. The empty guest room was right across the hall from me. She didn't have much, but daddy surprised her by showing her that he had saved all of her clothes. Even I didn't know he had done that.

"Everything you had at your house, I brought over here. The kids knew nothing about it. Lillian, I want you to know that I never stopped loving you, even though there were times that it seemed I had no choice. I just want you to know that I am very happy that you are back with us."

"Thank you," she said as tears rolled down her cheeks. I held her in a hug and told her that now that the family was back together, things will be a lot different. Katie, Danny and daddy all came into a group hug, and everyone told mother that things are alright now, and they can only get better from here on. She wiped the tears on her sleeve (a habit she must have picked up in jail), and I handed her a Kleenex.

"Mom, would you like to see my room?"

"Yes, darling, I would." She was still sniffling a little, but when she walked in my room, her face brightened. "Honey, this is a really pretty room. Do you think we could get my room to be something like this?"

"Yes, Lillian, we were going to talk about that."

Daddy was smiling when he said that. I think he still loves mom, and it would be great if they could get married again. I mean she is and always will be my mother, and since she has to live with us, we could be a real family again. I am just glad that the judge listened to us, and gave mom back to us. This is better than some old prison or hospital. Mom doesn't belong in either one. Now we can all be a part of her treatment, and there is no better therapy than a family's love for each other.

"Lillian," Daddy started, "I think in the next few weeks we will change your room around. After a while, you will think of this as your home, and we will be a family again. There are some things I would like to talk to you alone about, if that is alright with you."

"Yes Steve, that would be great. I would like to talk to you alone too."

Mother and daddy went upstairs to talk, and of course, wouldn't you know it, Katie, Danny, and I just had to go upstairs and listen at the bedroom door. What? Oh! Yes, I know it isn't nice, but we wanted to see if they were going to start yelling at each other. What we heard though was daddy explaining that he had never stopped loving her, and he wished they coud get married again. Mom said the same thing, and she said she was sorry for what she did, and she hoped that her family could forgive and accept her back into our hearts.

Well, we quietly went back downstairs, and acted like we were there all the time while they talked. About ten minutes later, they came back downstairs.

"Children," mom said in a nice motherly way. "Your father and I have something we want to tell you. What would say if we got married again?"

Katie and I screamed, Dany said yes with emphasis, and mom and daddy just beamed at each other. I did it, I actually did it. Then I remembered the movie the Parent Trap, and this seemed exactly what I had done without realizing it. We're a family again, and I am so happy.

"Daddy," I said, with a bright smile. "Can we go and get a pizza and celebrate?"

"Lillian, what do you think?"

"Pizza sounds good to me."

Daddy then looked at all of us, and said, "well, what are we waiting for? Let's go."

"Oh dear, I don't have any makeup on," mom said, looking worried."

"Lillian, you look fantastic, and besides we're only going to a pizza place. They are very, very informal there." Daddy beamed and held mom in his arms. "Besides, the only time you need any makeup is when we go dancing or out to dinner. You're still family, and we all love you." He gave her a kiss on the mouth and we all went, get a room. Then we laughed a little, and mom and daddy turned beet red.

We left for Antonio's Pizza Parlor, where you could actually eat there, or take the pizza to go. So we decided on a restaurant dinner of pizza, garlic bread, pickles, soda and pizza. We had a good time, and mom and dad were making believe that they were drinking wine or something, because he proposed a toast.

"To the love of my life, and the mother of my children. Lillian, you look very lovely tonight in your casual clothes. So here's to Lillian Spelling." we all clinked our glasses together, and mother started crying again. Katie and I moved to hold her and comfort her, and she just kept crying, but said through her tears, how much she appreciates everything we have done for her.

"I have been so selfish, and ornery, that I am ashamed of myself. Kira, sweetie, I should have taken you to the doctor a long time ago. Can you ever forgive your hard headed mother?"

"Mom, I forgave you the night we had our little argument. Now you are back with us again. Let's let the past be buried in the past, and let's have fun as a family should."

She hugged me tight. "You are an angel, sweetie, you know that."

"Thank you, mother."

We were at Antonio's for about three hours, when mom said she was feeling a little tired. I wonder why she would feel tired. She had a very emotional day, and I know she was drained. That is how I felt after a good cry.

So, we headed back home, and as soon as we were in the driveway, Danny helped mother to her room. There were a few times I pretended I needed something from my room, and went up to see if mom was okay. She just smiled at me, and hugged me like she hadn't seen me for years. So the last time I went upstairs, I sat on her bed, and we talked.

"Mom, I really do love you, I always will. What you need to know now is, that if you and daddy get married again, I'm going to be your brides maid." I giggled and she hugged me.

"Of course, darling." We were hugging when daddy came up to check on her.

"Well, I see the two of you are conspiring against the male half of the world." We all laughed some, then we told daddy we were female plans for the wedding. "That is good punkin. But you know what though? We aren't just a family, but we are best friends too. That's what makes a family work. Now, how about a little story telling time?"

"You mean you still tell stories? "That's great", mom said, with a beaming smile.

So we all went downstairs, and daddy turned off most of the lights, leaving the living room illuminated by the kitchen light, which made the mood kind of scary. We're a family again, and I still don't know where the words came from, but the judge listened and we as a family, are very grateful.

 ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­______________________________________________________________________________________________
This is a very short chapter telling how Lillian was brought back in the family. There are real court cases that are like this. Let me know what you think about Lillian being back home with the family. Barbara

up
78 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Kira - Chapter 15 - Kira Gives Her Mother A Surprise

What a very special child Kira is. She is the epitome of selfless Love for others. The world needs more people like Kira.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Barbara, Working in a career

Barbara,
Working in a career field (corrections) and performing as a 'Family Counselor' to try and keep families together even tho the father was in the prison where I worked; I saw lots of families torn apart by what I would call 'sheer stupidity' on the part of a parent who should have looking out for their children rather than themselves. I find this sentence and decision most interesting. I do sincerely hope that the mother completes her two year probation and is released into an new life with her family members and especially with her "new" daughter Kira. Judges who are a little more pro-active regarding 'out of the ordinary' sentences, get an A+ in my book. Jan

Sometimes the Disney Happy EndingTM happens

Sadly too often the family falls apart, the mom or dad doesn't *get it* despite the glaring truth and we have a dark or at best bitter-sweet ending.

But sometimes gven enough evidence, love and time, even the foolish learn the truth. Let it be so for Kira's mom, maybe someday a happy grandmother to Kira's children.

Sweet stuff. If only most family problems would resolve themselves so happily. I agree, the courts and mental hospitals are at best a second best answer to human problems.

Hope to see more from you soon.

John in Wauwatosa

Very good Chapter Sis :)

I liked what kira did very much, it shows the true purity she has. If it were me I would never be able to forgive her, let alone plea for such a minimal detention. I would have asked for the max,and then never speak to her again. but Kira is special :)

With Love and Light, and Smiles so Bright!

Erin Amelia Fletcher

Amelia Rosewood Year two.png

With Love and Light, and Smiles so Bright!

Erin Amelia Fletcher

Kira IS, but This is in us ALL

...all we have to do is let it out. When I was wee I too thought people who did bad things should be punished. That was what we were taught. Now I am a bit bigger and have seen a bit of Life, I know that punishing someone does no good at all, just creates resentment and the desire for revenge. To love them and forgive them is much more helpful. Love is in fact the most powerful weapon mankind has ever invented.

I am not religious, I am a devout atheist in fact, but from simple humanistic basic principles and from experience I now see that being kind to someone is always much better from the eventual outcomes point of view. Children, and in my experience those that are Special in some way, physically or mentally, often seem to know this instinctively.

This is a really lovely story, written well and very believable. Isn't it great to read something like this one now and again? Makes one feel good!

Bless,

Briar

Briar

Very true

Though as i can only speak for myself, I used to be one of the most push over, forgiving types. But being used for that so many times and burned by it, it somehow left me, made me slightly stone cold. Now all i know is yes i can brush it aside, but i dont know how to forgive and tend to hold resentments and grudges inside to others that hurt me or may hurt me like i would a million dollar winning ticket ie for dear life. maybe it is wrong of me to do that but even at 21 i have grudges that seem like they have gone on my entire life, somedays i wish i could just let things go, but thinking that way just seems like it could open that door again that would lead me to far to much pain.

There are times i try, but i never forget. And after a wrong is done, i still think there needs to be a pennance, punishment or something to counter what they done.

Course this is a great story, and i cant wait to read more, which i hope there will be.

Sorry if i sound a little like a stone cold monster, im really chearry , just sometimes there are things i have a negative view towards, as i am certain everyone has something they have a negative view towards something. We all learn by taught or learn by experience. One thing i have been taught is u never get something for free, and u never do anything without conscequence. rather in the moment or in time judgement or karmatic shift. In some time or another, the mirror will show a refletion and make u see what they have seen, even if slightly distorted or even indifferent but anything to make them remeber not to make the same mistake twice. :)

With Love and Light, and Smiles so Bright!

Erin Amelia Fletcher

Amelia Rosewood Year two.png

With Love and Light, and Smiles so Bright!

Erin Amelia Fletcher