Kira - Chapter 3 - Kira stands up to her mother

Printer-friendly version
Kira
Chapter III - Kira stands up to her mother

by Barbara Lynn Terry


 
Part I - Kira stands up to her mother.

On the way home, still wearing Jessica's outfit, Kira's mother rushed along the street as though her house was on fire, holding Kira's hand.

"Come along, quickly, before somebody sees you. When we get home, you have a lot of explaining to do. I'm not going to make a scene here in public, but you had better have a very good excuse for this. And I do mean a very good excuse.

"Mother, when we get home, and you don't listen to me, I will leave the house and go to my father's. He has said many times he doesn't understand why you are so adamant in keeping me as a boy, when you know it isn't in me. You are always the one telling me that I should never judge others because I disagree with how they live, or in what they say. And yet, here you are judging me, because of this girl inside I so badly need to be. Isn't that what Pastor Daly calls hypocrites? You say one thing and do completely the opposite? Mother, I get good grades in school, I have good friends, and I have a lot of respect for you, but you don't seem to have any respect for me, or this girl inside of me. Why is that?"

"You're a boy, and boys don't wear dresses or skirts, and boys don't become girls. You are my son, and I really don't care what your father, brother, sister, your friends, teachers, the police, psychiatrists or anybody else has to say about it. It is my job to raise you right, and the way society says. You have a male body so you are a boy, and society says you have to grow up to be a man. And no, I am not a hypocrite, because I am not judging you. I am telling you what is right, and what is wrong, and the way you are dressed right now is wrong for a boy. Now, that is enough on the public street. We will talk about this more at home."

We walked the five blocks to our house, and mother took the key out of her purse, and looking at me with a scowl, she unlocked the door, and we went inside. She set her purse on the table in the foyer, and hung her coat up in the small closet. Then she grabbed my hand and dragged me over to the couch.

"Now sit down, and don't you dare say a word, until I am finished. I want to know why you are dressed like this, after I have forbidden you to do so."

"Well, the girls said that it wasn't fair that I had to look like a tomboy, and they had me get into one of Jessica's outfits. They wanted me to stay that way until I went home."

"You can return those clothes tomorrow after school. Now, I am going to only say this once more. I forbid you to dress or act like a girl, because you are a boy and boys don't dress or act like girls. Do you understand me?"

"Yes mother, I understand you, alright. What you are saying is, don't do as I do, do as I say, or else. But what I don't understand is this. Why would you tell me not to judge others when that is exactly what you are doing? You do know that in a few years I will be eighteen, and then you can't stop me from being the real me. You think that just because I have a stupid male body, that that means I can't be a girl? Mother, do you remember George Jorgensen, who went to Denmark, and came back as Christine Jorgensen?"

"Yes, I remember. His mother should have given him a sound spanking when he was little. What he did is an abomination to the Lord. You..."

"NO MOTHER! Christine Jorgensen was just being herself. She had to do what she did to live a happy life. Transsexuals have been around mother since they neutered the first eunuch. It is you that doesn't seem to understand. You are the one who doesn't care about her own family. You filed for a divorce against dad, and didn't care if he wanted custody of Katie and Danny or not. All you did was tell the judge that daddy was raising me as a girl, which was not true, and the judge gave me to you. You lied in court mother, after you had sworn to tell the truth. Can you tell me why that is?

"Because you're a boy. Are you stupid or something? Boys grow up to be men, while girls grow up to be women. There are not only mental differences between the two, but very different physical differences as well. You can never bear a child, you can never have a monthly cycle, and you don't have the girl experiences we have from little on. No Kiran, you are a boy, and it is my job to raise you like one. Now do you understand?"

"Yes, you want me to live whatever life you dictate to me, even if it makes me sad. You don't care if I am happy, and you certainly don't care if I get good grades in school. I see how you just glance over my report card, sign it and then give it back to me. When are you going to be my mother, and stop treating like the proverbial red-headed step child?"

She slapped me in the face so hard, that I fell backwards from the blow. She went in the bathroom, and I took the time to call my dad. All I said was mother just hit me. He told me not to let on, but he was coming right over. I hung up, and went back and sat on the couch. Dad only lived ten minutes away, and he would be here almost as soon as she got out of the bathroom. When she was finished, she came back and sat next to me. She looked at me, and started to wipe the blood from my nose, when the doorbell rang.

"Now who could that be?" She went to answer the door and saw my father and two police officers standing there.

My father, having joint custody over me, invited the two police officers in. The female officer took one look at me, and asked me how did I get a bloody nose. I told her my mother hit me in a fit of anger. The male officer told my mother she was under arrest for felony assault of a minor. The female officer cleaned the blood from nose after she had taken a picture. Then I ran to my father, and held on for dear life. Yes I had stood up to my mother, and she had injured me because of it. But it was a good thing I called my dad, and he must have called the police on the way.

The female officer searched mom in the bathroom, and finding no drugs or weapons, the male officer called for the paddy wagon. When the paddy wagon arrived, mother was taken by two other officers, and they were gone.

"Honey, can you answer a few questions for me?"

"Yes, ma'am," I said between sniffles.

"What is your name?"

"Kiran Spelling, ma'am."

"Kiran? Do you go to Roosevelt High?"

"Yes, ma'am"

"Are you the Kira that is friends with my Josie?"

"Josie is your daughter, ma'am?"

"Yes she is. She told me there was this girl Kira who looked so sad. Did they talk to you?

"Yes, ma'am."

"Okay, after I ask a few questions, would it be alright if we talk some?

"Yes, ma'am."

"Will you tell me what happened that led up to your mother hitting you."

I told her everything that mother and I had talked about. I told her that we were actually arguing, and when it seemed like mother couldn't get her own way, she slapped me hard, knocking me backwards on the sofa. I told her that she went to use the bathroom, and took that time to call my dad.

"What did you tell your dad, sweetie?"

"All I told him was that mother had hit me."

"Alright, here is what she is being arrested for. She not only assaulted you, but she abused you as well, physically and mentally. What she was trying to do was break you down in your mind so you would start to think that what she was doing was right. When she hit you, she did that to retaliate against you standing up to her and her ideas about raising children. We are going to try and get felony battery charges against her, as well as abuse charges too. We will see what we can do."

"In the meantime, we're letting you go home with your father. By the way that is a nice dress. Is it yours?"

No ma'am, it's Jessica's."

"Well Jessica has very good taste in clothes, and friends. Let me ask you this. How long have you felt that you were a girl?"

"Ever since I was five ma'am."

"Did somebody do something to you that makes you think this way?

"No ma'am, but everybody has always called me a young lady, and told me I looked as pretty as my mother. I never told them I wasn't a girl, because everytime somebody said I was a good girl, or called me a young lady, it felt so right. Like these clothes feel so right too."

"Well, seeing you dressed like this, I can see why. You know something Kira, everybody has a right to be who they are, no matter what package they wear. I have no doubts whatsoever that you will make a fine girl. You take care, and we will call your father to let him know when to bring you down to the district attorney's office. You will have to tell him what you told me. Do you think you can do that?

"Yes, ma'am."

She smiled, and patted my hand, "good girl. You go with your father, I'm sure your brother and sister want to see you." Then she and the male officer left. She had called me Kira instead of Kiran. I felt really good inside. Then I heard my father talking to me.

"Come on Kira, there's somebody out in the car that wants to see you."

When we got out of the door, I saw Katie and Danny get out of the car and they came running up to me. All of us hugged in a family group hug, and then I got in the back seat with Katie and Danny. Katie looked at my nose, and asked if mom did that, I just nodded, and laid my head on her shoulder. I was exhausted, I didn't know standing up to mom was that much work. Katie just held me, until we got home. When daddy said we were home, I sat up, and got out of the car with Katie and Danny. We went in the house, and up to what was going to be my room.

I thought I had died and gone to heaven. The walls were a powder pink, and so were the curtains, the bedding was even better, because the sheets were satin, and the blanket was soft cotton, and the bedspread was light microfiber, and all in powder pink.

After I had put my things away, we all went downstairs for a cup of hot chocolate, and to talk. After the tea kettle whistled that the water was hot enough, Katie poured four cups to make hot cocoa. We sat at the kitchen table, and then Daddy started talking first.

"Well punkin, I was hoping this would have ended another way. But I guess I was too optimistic. Anyway, you can be whoever you need or want to be. Nobody here is going to fault you for being a girl. I will want you to see a therapist though. If this therapist says it is in your best interests to be living as a girl, then I will find out what we have to do after that to make it come true for you. I'm sure the therapist can help us there.

"What your mother did tonight, I was actually expecting for some time. I knew the older you got, and the more friends you made, there would come a time that you would stand up to her. When we go to court, the judge will see the picture of your bloody nose, and he will either put your mother in jail, or give her a very huge fine to pay. But whatever he does, I am going to request that you stay with us, because your life is in danger if you stay with your mother. And with that photo, and your mother's outrage, the judge will side with us. I hope. While we are in the courthouse, I am going to call my attorney and see if we can't get into family court, and have you in my custody, so that you can live here. Besides you need to be with your brother and sister, more than ever now. And I am sure that Katie will help you with anything you need to be a proper girl your age."

"Daddy, why doesn't mother want me to be happy?"

"That is a very good question. But you know what? It doesn't matter now, because she has committed a violent act against you, and that is illegal. But tomorrow, while you are in school, I am calling my attorney, and I am going to have him fax a thing to the school, saying that your mother cannot pick you up from school for any reason. So you will live here, and if you want this weekend, we can go shopping for some pretty clothes just for you. Sound like a plan?"

"Oh yes daddy, thank you." I gave him the biggest hug I could, and then Katie wanted me to come up to her room.

When I got in Katie's room, I looked at all the posters of male rock stars, and bands that had cute guys in them. I guess you might say my hormones were working, I mean like they would for a girl. My puberty was kind of, sort of, a little messed up. Instead of my voice getting lower, it got higher, and there was no hair on my body, except for my legs, underarms and pubic area. But then I am only thirteen. Anyway, as I looked at the posters, I thought how wonderful it would be to have a date with just one of them.

"Earth to Kira." I looked at Katie and shyly smiled.

"I'm sorry, Katie, but I was just dreaming of what it would be like to have a date with just one of these guys."

"Yeah, I do that all the time myself. Anyway, do you want to call Jessica and tell her what happened tonight. I'm sure your friends will want to know."

"Yes, I would like that."

"Good, and since you are going to be a girl full time now, you and I need to talk. There are some things you are going to have to know. Like the talk mom gave me won't apply to you, and I'm not sure the talk dad had with Danny won't either. We will see, maybe we can give you both talks." We both giggled, and then we gave each other a very tight sisterly hug. It felt so good to be accepted. Finally.

Katie showed me her closet, and said I could borrow any dresses, or skirt sets I wanted until daddy took me shopping. Katie said that she and Danny would be going along. Katie wanted to make sure I got the right clothes, and it always helps to have a male opinion as to how we look when we try on dresses, or skirts, or even pant suits.

I started crying, and Katie just held me. She told me everything was going to be just fine, now that I was away from mother. Daddy came in and wanted to know what was going on, and she told him that everything just hit me like a bull dozer. She said everything would be fine. Danny was walking past, and saw me crying. He came in too, and we all had a group hug. Then Danny said something that made me cheer right up.

"I came up to tell you that Jessica and the girls are downstairs. They want to talk to you."

"Katie, Danny, daddy, will you be there too. I, want to, tell them, what ..."

"Yes punkin, we will be there with you and for you. Let's go downstairs."

When we got to the living room, Jessica, Marla, Darlene, and Josie were sitting on the sofa and chairs. We all hugged, and the girls were so excited, that they wanted to know every juicy detail. I told them about the talk mother and I had on the way to the house, and then what we said to each other when got inside the house, and what I had told her just before she slapped me.

"Girlfriend, she actually hit you?"

"Yes, when she went to use the bathroom, I called daddy and he came over with the police. Your mother was there Josie, and she also said that you have good taste in clothes and friends, Jessica. Josie, your mother and I talked for a bit after I answered her questions. She said she has no doubts about me being a fine girl."

"Girlfriend, you are a girl already. You just met my mother tonight, and she saw you for the girl that you are. Just because she's a cop doesn't mean she is against people being who they are. She is the one who taught me about not judging others, and to help others if I can. So do you have to go to court, or anything like that?"

"She said they will call my father, when they want me at the district attorney's office."

"There are a couple of ADA's that my mother always makes appointments with when she arrests somebody. You won't have a problem with either one, and they are both women. Just be yourself."

"Thanks guys, you have all been so wonderful."

"See. That is how we talk to each other. I mean, we say hey guys, or cya later guys. It's just the way we talk, and you did it naturally. You're going to be just fine."

"Daddy wants to take me shopping on Saturday to get me my own clothes. He said I can be whomever I want to be, and nobody is going to fault me for it."

"Fault you for what? Listen girlfriend, I hate to be the bearer of glad tidings and all, but you are a girl. I mean, look at yourself in the mirror, and tell us what you see. You look beautiful, and you have a beautiful soul too. No Kira, nobody will ever mistake you for a guy."

"Thank you, Josie." We all hugged, and the girls said they had to leave, but they will be back on Saturday to go shopping with me. After more hugs, and cya at school, they left to go to their houses.
 
 
Part II - The district attorney and court.
 
Daddy got a call from a Mrs. Norma Jenkins, who is an assistant district attorney. She said that because the assault happened on a minor, the police had signed the complaint against mother. After looking over the signed complaint, she wanted us to meet her at branch 32 of the county circuit court. When we got there, she looked at me, and saw a bruise where mother had hit me.

"Well Kira, officer Lambert told me that you are transgendered. Is that right?"

"Yes, ma'am."

"Okay, then I know how to proceed from here. Listen, your mother is being charged with felony battery to a minor. That is a very serious charge. Let me ask you this. Did she hit you in a fit of rage, anger if you will?"

"Yes ma'am."

"Honey, you don't have to be afraid of me. I'm in your corner. But I will have to ask you personal questions about your sexuality in court, just so the record is clear. Do you think you can answer those questions for me?"

"Yes, I can."

"Will you be embarrassed when you answer my questions?"

"If I said no, I'd be lying. Yes, I will be embarrassed, but I am also proud to be who I am too."

She smiled, and said good girl. "Come on then, let's go in."

We went inside the courtroom, and except for the big huge desk where the court staff and the judge sat, the rest looked like the inside of a church with a number of pews on each side of an aisle, and a railing separating the people from the staff. The railing was called a barrier, and the desk where the judge sat was called the bar. We sat down, while Mrs. Jenkins went through the gate in railing. She went up to the big desk,and said something to one of the ladies, and then she sat down at a table near what I was told, was the jury box. She took out a folder, and set it in front of her, then she opened it, and took out the top paper.

"The county circuit court, branch 32, the honorable Jessica Dawson, presiding. Silence is commanded." The deputy sheriff waited until the judge sat down. "You may be seated."

"David, call the first case please."

"Yes your honor. Case number F-3265, the State versus Lillian Spelling, felony battery to a minor, your honor."

"Yes your honor, this is set for arraignment and assignment of an attorney, your honor."

"Mrs. Spelling, do you have an attorney?"

"Yes, your honor." Mother no sooner said that than her attorney came in the courtroom making his apologies for being late.

"You are excused, Mr. Bailey. Have you read the complaint, and had time to talk to your client?"

"No your honor."

"Well, then I suggest you do that, so we can get on with this case."

"Your honor, this case involves a thriteen year old minor, and I request the court be cleared of all persons not connected with this case."

"Mr. Bailey, any objections?"

"No, your honor."

"Then it is so ordered. All persons who are not connected with this case, are hereby ordered to wait outside until your case is called."

"Mrs. Jenkins, while counsel is conferring with the defendant, do you have anything else you would like to say?"

"Your honor, this is just for arraignment, and I would like to call Miss Kira Spelling to the stand."

I got up and went by a man, who told me to raise my right hand, and then asked me if I swore to the tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. After I said yes, he told me to be seated.

"Now Miss Spelling, will you please tell the court how old you are?"

"I'm thirteen, ma'am."

"And are you a physical female or a physical male?"

"A physical male, ma'am."

"Will you tell the court, please, in your own words, why you are dressed like a girl?"

"Because ever since I was little, about five years old, everybody always called me a young lady, or said I was a good girl. When they said those things, it felt so right deep in here," I said pointing to my heart. "I have always felt like a girl inside, and everytime I was called a good boy or a young man I wanted to throw up. I mean, my voice isn't getting any lower, it is getting higher, I am not getting hair anywhere on my body, except places where girls have it. And I am not interested in things that guys do."

"Are you telling the court that you are transgendered?"

"Yes."

"Will you please tell the court what led up to your being assaulted, and by whom."

"Well, at school, I met these four girls. They wanted to know why I looked so sad, and they weren't leaving until I told them. One of the girls is Josie Lambert, and her mother is a police officer. Anyway, they wanted to know if I would come with them after school to another friend's house. The girl's name is Jessica, and she is one of the four girls. Well we went to Jessica's house, and we talked, studied, and they said it was a shame that I was being forced to look like a tomboy. So they had me put on one of Jessica's outfits, and I stayed dressed like that all evening, as we studied and talked some more.

"When my mother came to get me, it was too late to change, so I went downstairs in Jessica's outfit. My mother and I had a talk on the way home, and even when we got in the house. Then I asked her when was she going to start being my mother, and stop treating my like the proverbial red-headed step child. That was when she hit me, and knocked me backwards on the couch."

"Did you call the police?"

"No ma'am. Mother went to use the bathroom, and while she was in there, I called my father and told him what mother had done. He said he would be right over, and he called the police. Officer Lambert was one of the officers."

"Is the person that hit you, in this courtroom, today?"

"Yes ma'am. She is sitting at that table right there, wearing a grey dress."

"Let the record reflect that the witness has identified the defendant, Lillian Spelling."

"Without objection, so ordered."

"I have no further questions your honor."

"Any cross, Mr. Bailey?"

"Not at this time, your honor."

"What is your client's plea, Mr. Bailey?"

"Not guilty, your honor.

"Very well, the court is satisfied that a crime has been committed within it's jurisdiction, and that the defendant committed that crime. This case is bound over for trial, and the defendant is remanded. Is there a request for bail?"

"Yes your honor, the state would like one hundred thousand dollar cash bail, please, and the sate further requests that the witness, Kira Spelling, remain with her father until this case is resolved."

Your honor, that is really steep for this defendant, who has never been in any trouble with the law before. Your honor, the defendant is a hard working mother who only wants to bring up her son the right way."

"Anything further, Mr. Bailey?"

"No, your honor."

"Anything further, Mrs. Jenkins?"

"No, Your honor."

"Very well. While a parent may want to bring their children up right, that is no excuse for battering a child using discipline as an excuse. Anything other than a spanking by hand on the child's buttocks, constitutes abuse, and is a crime under the state statutes. Bail is set at one hundred thousand dollars, cash. David, I will take a short recess."

As I walked back by daddy, Katie, and Danny, mother gave me a very dirty look. I just ignored it, and kept on walking. Mother was taken back to the jail. This is going to be very interesting to see what she tells the judge. Anyway that is for the trial. Tomorrow is a better day and I have to meet the girls on the way to school.



To Be Continued in Chapter Four...
 

up
96 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Glad to see a story

Andrea Lena's picture

...where the courts get it right for a change! Too bad she had to get hit...the worst place you can hit a child...destroys them inside...but she's got her dad and friends. I'm loving this story! Thanks again, sweetie!

She was born for all the wrong reasons but grew up for all the right ones.
Possa Dio riccamente vi benedica, tutto il mio amore, Andrea

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Out Of Balance

I think you need to show a slightly more complex relationship between the mother and child and family. The story is nearly told as if these people aren't related at all. While the narrator/protagonist is a 13-year-old, and they can have a more simplistic view of the world than adults might, I'm finding this reads a little too black-and-white even for that.

It lacks... texture?

Let's see (tapping chin with finger)

NoraAdrienne's picture

The child's voice is going UP not down... S/he has no hair other then top of head, genital area, and possibly under armpits. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm so you think maybe they should order full medical exam including a scan of this kids waist and hip area?

Intersexed?

Perhaps not phenotypically, but some blood hormone tests could potentially be enlightening...

 
 
--Ben


This space intentionally left blank.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

broken record

laika's picture

This was just the arraignment but Mom's lawyer doesn't seem to be very swift so far, and unless she and he do a lot of extremely creative lying I don't see her getting out of this. Supporters for her reactionary views seem few & far between in the world this story is set in. A bloody nose might be a small price for Kirra to pay to get out of the clutches of this irritating woman, to be spared further abuse from this woman, whose spiel never varied over the course of three chapters, the same blindered circular logic- Quack! Quack! Quack! Mom's a broken record, and now she has one, heh heh! I hope she doesn't make bail, she seems capable of almost anything. Kidnapping & flight so she can continue to try and beat & badger the girl out of her SON, maybe subjecting Kira to the brainwashing of some wackamole "reparative therapy" cult. Nobody deserves that, least of all this sweet charming girl...
~~~hugs, Laika

One Has To Wonder

jengrl's picture

One has to wonder whether Kira's mother will come to her senses and not resort to the same extreme tactics as Sue's mother in "What Mother Didn't Know" In my own experience, the male members of my family are the ones who have been the most resistant to me being my trueself. I know that some mothers have been just as resistant like Sue and Kira's, but I haven't heard it as often. Most all of my female friends and relatives have been accepting of me. Kira pointed out the hypocrisy her mother has practiced about not judging others. I think that the way she reacted tells me that Kira's words have sunk in and somewhere deep down she knows she is right but is unwilling to admit it in her fog of religious dogma. It will be interesting to see. I hope Mom sees the light and realizes how selfish she is being about forcing Kira to be something she isn't.

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

SO SAD !!

ALISON

This story made me cry when I remembered heaps of kids
like Kira that I saw in the 60's and 70's that either
suicided or injured themselves critically out of sheer frustration.Why is it that people won't accept something that doesn't fit in to their so called "values"?So sad.Alison

ALISON

Good

It's good that kira decided to stand agains her mother,and maybe her mother hitting her had good outcome;I'm mean that kira is with loving family with safe environment now.But i fell that court scene was a bit..simliar from "What mother didn't know".And her mother could be a bit more intelligent(along with her lawyer).

For the record.

If you have ever been a part of a criminal trial, or at least a legal participant in some way, or even a visitor to the courtroom, you know that criminal trials are basically the same. The only thing different is the charge, but the procedures are the same. I forgot to put the plea in the arraignment scene and I will do that now. Of course the plea is not guilty.

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

KIRA

Very good. the court scene reminds me a little of the other story.

Kira - Chapter 3

- Kira stands up to her mother- causes things to happen. How sad that she did what she did to Kira. She has no excuse for hurting Kira.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

kira's mom

there always he possibility that Mom could conscrue that Kira was backtalking to her, and out of total frustration, went overboard & slapped child.

Now I'm not taking Mom's side, just pointing a possible defense.

deleted

deleted