Kira - Chapter 4 - After the Arraignment

Printer-friendly version
Kira
Chapter IV - After the Arraignment

by Barbara Lynn Terry

Copyright © 2009 Barbara Lynn Terry

 
(Author's Note): Many of you who are reading this story and What Mother Didn't Know, are making comparisons that the two are very similar. The two stories may have a mother who is adamant in keeping their child the way they feel the child should be raised. But...there are differences. In What Mother Didn't Know, the mother is decidedly mentally ill and was raising her daughter as a son. In Kira, the mother is not mentally ill, just homophobic, and is making sure her "son" is raised according to society's rules. Now the mother in Kira is in trouble, because battery to a minor by an adult is a very serious charge.

The trial scenes in both stories are similar. If you have ever been a participant in a criminal trial, either as a defendant, officer, attorney, attorney's rep., judge, court staff, juror, or just a spectator, you know that every criminal trial in conducted the same way. The only differences being the names of the parties, the charge(s), and the tactics used by the attorneys. So yes, in any story I have a court scene, they will be very similar to each other from other stories. As a paralegal and secretary to an attorney, I have seen many trials, and believe me when I say that any criminal trial can get very ugly.

Just wait until you see the punishment Kira's mother gets, you will maybe be surprised and maybe not. Thank you all for reading and commenting. Barbara Lynn Terry. ~Barbara
 
 
Part I - After the Arraignment.
 
 
We arrived home after the arraignment was over. I went to my room, and just flung myself on my bed and cried. Katie came up, and sat on the bed. She stroked my hair telling me that mom was never the accepting or understanding type. She said she was very happy when dad and mom were divorced and she and Danny went to live with dad. Dad had even said that he was hoping something would happen to get me away from that conniving woman.

She told me that after they had moved in to this house, they were already making plans to get me away from mother. Katie said that mother is what they call homophobic, and has a strong dislike for gays, lesbians, crossdressers, bi-sexuals, and those that are transgendered. She also said that now that I am here, she is going to help me be the best girl I can be.

"Kira, we got a copy of your birth certificate. And guess what? Your name officially and legally is Kira not Kiran. Now while mother may have told the nurses that she wanted your name to be Kiran, they had actually put Kira on the birth certificate, and, there is one more thing. It also says that you are female. The clerk who made this birth certificate out might have thought that male was a typo and corrected it saying that you are female, probably because of how your name appeared on the hospital birth record.

"But whatever the reason, you are a girl officially, and your name is Kira. So sister of mine, let's wipe those tears, and fix that makeup. Then let's go downstairs and have a nice cup of hot cocoa."

I was happy all of a sudden by what Katie had said. I thought to myself that Mrs. Jenkins should know of this. When we went downstairs I told daddy we needed to call Mrs. Jenkins, because Katie told me what was on my birth certificate.

"Let's do that now, and see if she is in her office."

Daddy called the district attorney's office and asked to speak with Mrs. Jenkins. She must have just gotten in because daddy said the phone rang six times before she picked up the receiver.

"Mrs. Jenkins, speaking."

"Mrs. Jenkins this is John Spelling, Kira's father."

"Oh yes, Mr. Spelling. What can I do for you?"

Daddy told her what was on my birth certificate, and that he is sorry because he didn't think to bring it in to show her.

"That's quite alright Mr. Spelling. We can take care of that next month when the trial begins. It will be considered harmless error. Even though Kira is physically male won't have any bearing. Judge Dawson is a very understanding woman, and she does make allowances when evidence for that allowance is presented. Just remember to bring it to the trial, so I can admit it in evidence."

"Thank you, Mrs. Jenkins."

"My pleasure, Mr. Spelling."

This whole conversation had been on the speaker phone so everybody could hear it. Daddy looked at me and said not to worry because Mrs. Jenkins would think of something. We all went in the kitchen and I got out the cocoa and the cups, while Katie heated the water in the tea kettle. When it started to whistle, Katie turned off the burner, and everybody put their own amount of cocoa in their cups, and then poured the hot water. We sat there wondering what to do next, because there was still a lot of hours left in the day.

"Daddy, can we go to the mall? I want to see what they have in nice dresses."

"When a girl your age says nice, she means sexy and cute." Katie and I giggled. "I don't see why not, but I get to make the final decision, young lady."

"Yes daddy," I said looking shy and very demure. Katie and I giggled again.

"So sis," Danny perked up. "Can I go along too? I'd love to see my little sister trying on clothes that she should have had a long time ago."

"Yes Danny, we can make it a family thing. I think it would be nice though. I mean then I get the old opinion, and the opinion of someone my age."

"Old opinion, hey," daddy said, feigning a hurt look.

"Oh daddy," and Katie I just looked at each other, and smiled.
 
 
Part II - The Mall.
 
 
After we had finished our cocoa, Katie and I went upstairs to get ready to go the mall. We made sure our makeup was perfect, our hair didn't have a strand out of place, and we changed clothes as well. I even switched purses for an off-white clutch to go with my off-white dress.

We went downstairs together, and Danny whistled. "I thought you were just going to freshen up a bit. But you two look like you're going to the prom."

"I wasn't going in the dress I wore this morning. There will be guys at the mall, I can't let them see me in a wrinkled dress."

"Guys? Did I hear you say guys?"

"Daddy, a girl goes to the mall for more than just clothes," I said in a feigned exasperated tone.

"Yeah, the food court," Danny interjected. Katie and I giggled, and daddy looked frustrated.

"Well, this trip we're going to get clothes, because that is what we are going for."

"Oh daddy, can't a girl have a little fun?" I asked feigning a hurt look.

"Listen punkin, I know all about boys, and believe me a "little fun" is not what is on their mind when they see a pretty girl like you."

"You, you think ... I'm ... pretty ... daddy?"

"Yes punkin I do, and that is why you have to be careful, because there are a lot two legged wolves out there ready to pounce on a girl as pretty as you are. You take after Katie in that department."

"Oh daddy," Katie and I said in unison.

"Well, if we are ready, let's go."

We all went outside after rechecking our makeup in the hall mirror. After buckling our seatbelts, daddy backed the car out of the drive way, and we headed for the mall. While daddy drove, Katie and I sat in the back seat chattering away. I could see Danny shaking his head. When we got to the mall, the parking was full of cars, and we had to park quite a ways from the doors, on the backside of the mall. Which means we were on the second level, and the food court was on the first level way at the other end.

The first store at the back of the mall was Teen Miss. Katie and I looked at each other, and decided we would start here. We went looking at all the dresses and skirts and blouses, taking a number of them off the rack to try on. As I tried on the first dress, it came to mid thigh, and had a smart V neckline. When Daddy saw it, he put his two thumbs down, but Danny whistled.

"What is wrong with that dress, dad? She looks good in it."

"What's wrong with it, is that you whistled. That wasn't a brotherly whistle, that was a wolf whistle. No, I want to see something a little longer."

I went back in the changing booth, to try on a skirt and blouse this time, and the skirt was a modest two inches above my knees. The blouse had a V necline with a lace front. Daddy smiled, and said that was a good choice. I tried on the next dress, and it too came to just two inches above my knees. Danny looked disappointed, but daddy liked it. It was light coppertone, and had an invisible back zipper.

I tried on a pair of black dress slacks with a side zipper, and it came to just above my ankle bone. The white blouse that went with it had buttons in the back, and a clasp at the top. Katie had helped me button it.

"That is a great set punkin," daddy said, smiling. "You can wear that for church, school, even a dinner date."

"Does that mean I can date, daddy?"

"I didn't say that," I feigned dejection. "All I said was that it can be worn on a dinner date. Are there any more?"

"Yes, daddy." I went in and tried on the other skirt and top. I stepped out for daddy's approval.

"Yes, punkin, that looks really good on you. Are there any more?"

"No, daddy, but we do have to get some lingerie and shoes."

"Alright, can we get them here?"

"Daddy, this is a mall excursion. Yes we can get them here, but that would take the fun out of the shopping trip."

"You just want to see if there any cute boys in the mall."

"Yes, daddy. I admit it, I'm a girl and I am attracted to boys."

"We will discuss this further at home, young lady." One of the saleslady's was passing by and gave me a smile that she knew exactly what daddy was saying. I threw up my hands, and said alright we'll get the lingerie and shoes here.

We went in the lingerie department, and I started looking at bras, panties, bra and panty sets, full slips, half slips, camisoles, and chemises. I needed at least four of every thing, because you never know when I will change my mind. I took twenty pairs of panties, four half slips in pink, powder blue, lavender, and black. On a whim I took a white one too. I got five full slips in the same colors, and then I went looking at the stockings and socks. I like tan nylons, so I got six pairs of those, and then I got a package of basic white crew socks, anklets in different colors, and white, knee high double knits. Then I said I needed to look at the camisoles and chemises. I found eight camis that looked very sexy and they were made of nylon. I pick out four chemises to wear to bed, and then told daddy we were ready to go.

"What about shoes?" Daddy inquired quizzically.

"I will need two pair of everything, daddy. Dress shoes, runners, mules, slides, sandals, at least one pair of knee high boots with a four inch heel. Then I will need ..."

"A two inche heel, young lady, is all you will need on your footwear. I didn't allow Katie to go any higher than two inches, and I don't want you too, either." Well yeah, okay, so I was pushing buttons, isn't that what a daughter is supposed to do? Katie and I giggled.

I ended up getting one pair of black dress shoes with an ankle strap, a white slip on pair, one pair of runners, two pair of open toed sandals, and a pair of knee high black boots with a four inch heel. I giggled to myself because daddy never saw the heel length on the box. Yeah, so I'm a vixen, and your problem with that is what? I'm just doing what any red blooded American daughter would do. I giggled inwardly again. Katie and I exchanged knowing glances.

"Daddy, can we stop at the food court?" Danny inquired, rubbing his tummy.

"I suppose so. Does everyone know how to get out of here and back to the car?" We all said yes, so daddy took us to the food court.

Daddy and Danny ordered the king size Whopper meal, and Katie and I ordered just a salad with fat free French dressing. I ordered a small Sprite with mine, Katie a Coke, and daddy ordered coffee, while Danny ordered a cherry Coke. We talked while we ate. Katie and I noticed all the cute boys much to the chagrin of our father. But he just sat there smiling knowing that our decision to let me live as the girl I am, was the right one. Daddy feigned being indignant, but I could see he was happy that I just a normal girl with an abnormal body. After we put our trash in the bin, we headed back toward the car, with Katie and I stopping at almost every store window to look at the fashions. Daddy noticed this, but didn't say anything. He was happy that I could bond with my sister as a girl.

We got outside to the car, and we put the bags in the trunk, and we left for home. Katie and I sat in the back again while Danny sat with daddy in the front. Katie and I chattered like monkeys all the way home. There was one boy at the mall that had sandy blonde hair in a mohawk spike. He was very muscular, and had those smooth Roman features. When we got my bags up to my room, Danny came in and wanted to know if he could help. Katie and I both threw pillows at him.

"Alright, alright, I give. You know Kira, it is good to have you home." I gave him a hug, and admonished him that he should leave, because this was women's work. He promptly left.

Katie and I put my things away, and we talked. "Did you see that blonde guy with the mohawk spike?" I asked.

"I sure did, and those muscles. You can tell he is strong."

"Yeah but I wonder if he's strong where it counts."

"Oh Kira, you are such a minx."

"Yeah, ain't I though?"

"You know daddy will have a bird when he sees the heels on those boots."

"I know, but if I wear them outside we can't take them back, and I am wearing them tomorrow, for a walk around the block."

"You are terrible," Katie said, as we started giggling.

"Well that's the last of it. You got some very nice clothes today. But if there is anything of mine you want to borrow, just ask me. Okay?"

"Okay, sis," I said giving her a sisterly hug.

That night as Katie and I made our preparations for bed, I sat at my vanity and looked at myself in the mirror. As I looked at my reflection, I couldn't understand why mother wanted to keep me as a boy, because I didn't see any boy in that mirror, even without makeup. Katie came in and gave me a hug, and asked if everything was alright.

"Look at me, Katie. What do you see?"

"I see my sister without her makeup, ready to go to bed."

"I was just thinking about that, and I can't understand why mother wanted to keep me as a boy."

"Well dear, that is something I hope she will enlighten us on at the trial. Until then sis, don't lose any sleep over it, and you better get to bed before daddy comes up and turns off the lights himself." She was joking of course, and that is why I loved living here. When mother and daddy were living in the same house there was always laughter, and the atmosphere was a lot lighter. I'm glad I have the family that I do.



To Be Continued in Chapter Five - The Trial Begins...
 

up
91 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Short

I love this story you have truly done a wonderful job of writing it and you do a fairly good job of updating it. But I find these chapters to be a bit to short. Wish you could add more to them.

Very girly

ALISON

Kira certainly has become very girly in the short space
of time that she has been out of mother's evil clutches.
None the less it is a very enjoyable story and I have seen
a couple of real life episodes that were not much different
I look forward to the next posting.

ALISON

girly

I'm not sure about short period of time you mention. remember she's known she was a girl since age 5 or so, it the author has implied she's crosdressed at other times. and yes, I guess we see the catipillar turn butterfly per se & goes a bit over board. I'm sure if I had been in her shoes I'd prob. gone way over top also, sadly I never got that chance,back then.

There are some flowers that take forever to surface...

Andrea Lena's picture

...but when they break through the soil they blossom almost immediately...like Kira. I love this story....the relief she must feel, not just to dress up, but to have her dad's support and encouragement after the hell she's been through. As always, a wonderful tale.
She was born for all the wrong reasons but grew up for all the right ones.
Possa Dio riccamente vi benedica, tutto il mio amore, Andrea

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

If "Mom" was such a

If "Mom" was such a homophobe and against everything, how did the family manage to stay together for so long? It seems that Dad was not that type of person, and would have picked up on "Mom's" character when they were dating as she would have gotten that way from her own family. Kira is truly fortunate that her birth certificate already declares her female, because that is the one document that is generally the hardest of all to get changed, if in fact, the change can be done in some states. Jan

KIRA

Good chapter, I like the visit to the mall, when I use to go to malls I dreamed of going shopping for dresses, skirts, blouses, lingerie, and shoes, I never did when I was young, and now you know it is not easy for me, I so much want to be me.

Kira - Chapter 4

What a happy accident for Kira. I am sure that makes her feel loved.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine