Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 705.

Printer-friendly version
Wuthering Dormice
(aka Bike)
Part 705
by Angharad
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

So far, I haven’t met up with Daisy again, so quite how I invite her to become a bridesmaid, I don’t know, but I did promise, so I’ll do my best. I was tempted to contact Southampton, but decided against it. Maybe my being ill was the universe giving me a chance to avoid being sucked into the short lived career as a miracle worker. I’m sure it would have ended in tears, and while I believe I have every right to be happy as myself and live my life for me, I also have responsibilities which have to dovetail into the larger picture. Yes, I can do things like studying dormice or making films, but I also have to make sure my girls are cared for and protected. Sometimes parenthood seems almost as much fun as finding dormice.

Today, it wasn’t so much fun. I had planned to take the girls to Southsea and it was wet and windy. I know, they were likely to get wet anyway, in fact part of the reason for going was for them to get wet–but in the sea wet, not soaked to the skin through rain wet.

I did consider taking them to the hotel that Henry owns, they have a swimming pool, we’ve been there before, but I don’t like to take advantage. Silly it might be, but that was how I was brought up, to pay my way.

Stella was feeding Puddin’ while I made a cuppa. The three girls were doing some painting on some strips of old wall paper I’d found. They were quite enjoying themselves and I must admit I felt fairly content despite the colder, wetter weather, evidence of which was lashing against the windows.

“Look at it, bloody weather,” said Stella, “when I was a kid, we used to spend hours on the beach.”

“What, Southsea?”

“No, in Gran Canaria. We had an apartment there.”

“I used to spend time at Weston Super Mare.”

“I always thought that was some sort of racehorse–super mare, get it?”

“I got it the first time, Stella, it means over or above the sea.”

“As opposed to under it, I suppose,” was her riposte.

“No but there are other Westons, like Weston Zoyland.”

“Weston Zoyland? You’re joking?”

“No, it’s near Sedgemoor, you know where Monmouth’s men were defeated by the turncoat John Churchill.”

“No I didn’t, turncoat?”

“Yes, he was sent by James the Second to repel William of Orange, instead he changed sides.”

“Typical, don’t tell me he got a knighthood for it.”

“They made him Duke of Marlborough, for that and bashing the French a couple of times.”

“Churchill, no relation to Winston?”

“Yes an ancestor of; he was another one who changed sides.”

“What joined the Nazis?”

“No, he started off as a Liberal and went over to the Tories.”

“Big deal; he did a great job in the war.”

“Not in the first one he didn’t, he possibly precipitated the Gallipoli massacre.”

“How did he do that?”

“He was First Sea Lord or something, anyway he screwed up big time and the Brits and the Aussies got stuffed.”

“Anything else I should know, as you seem intent on giving me a history lesson?”

“He had the troops fire on striking Welsh miners, during the General Strike.”

“What as Sea Lord?”

“No, he was Home Secretary then.”

“For a biologist, you’re quite good at history, aren’t you?”

“Bits of, why?”

“It was just an observation, nothing sinister.”

“Didn’t you do any history at school?”

“Of course I did, but I didn’t like it and certainly didn’t retain any of it. Besides in our history, the family that is, it’s an advantage to forget. Daddy knows it all, but most of it is about being on the winning side, so Churchill wouldn’t have been too out of place amongst my ancestors.”

“What like at Culloden?”

“I think we supported both sides until the battle, but as it became obvious the redcoats were going to win it, my ancestor made sure he was on good terms with Butcher Cumberland. He did well out of it, doubling the size of the estate in two years.”

“I suppose success in politics is about reading the wind, knowing which way it’s blowing and marching with it. As a political inept, I’d probably stick to my guns and get blown away.”

“Cathy, having principles won’t make you any empires, but it might gain you some friends…”

“Or sisters in law?”

“Or friends who also happen to be your sister.”

“I like that idea.”

“It’s more than an idea, it’s a fact. In this family we seem to become parents or siblings or even children by choice. Your girls decided they wanted you as their mother, Tom chose you as his daughter, and I chose you as my sister.”

“I hope you’re not implying that Simon chose me as his sister too?”

“God, I hope not. Nah, that’s where reality kicks in, he can’t be your brother and your husband, and as I want him to be the latter, it’ll have to do.”

“Do I get a say in this?”

“No, you do as your told, doesn’t she girls?”

“Yessss,” they called back, “Look Auntie Stella, I’ve done a picture of a snowman.”

“It isn’t that cold, Trish,” I suggested.

“I know, Mummy, but I spilt some white paint, so I changed my sailing boat into a snowplough, and the clouds became a snowman.”

She held up her picture, which looked a bit too abstract for my taste. Livvie held up hers, “Mine’s a picture of a tree.” We scoured the greens and browns and possibly could see something that resembled a tree.

“I’s doing a fwog,” said Meems, and showed us some big black and red object.

“It’s a poison arrow frog is it, Meems,” I suggested thinking she’d been watching some natural history film.

“No, iss a garden fwog.”

“New species I expect,” said Stella, “Scott’s fire frog, or something similar, isn’t it, Mima?”

“Yes, Annie Stewwa.”

“See, I’m a budding genius and you didn’t notice.”

“Yeah sure,” I was distracted by my thoughts.

“What’re you thinking about, Cathy?”

“My bike.”

“Has Simon sorted it?”

“Nearly, but I was thinking that two years ago, about this time, it was in a bike shop because a certain young nurse had knocked me off it.”

“What? Was that in July?”

“Yes, I’ve got a receipt upstairs somewhere.”

“Is it two years?”

“Yes, seems longer, doesn’t it?”

“In some ways yes, in others, no. Goodness, is it only two years? Crikey, you have changed a bit in that time, haven’t you? Sort of grown into the role?”

“With a little help from my sister and friends.”

“Here’s to the next two years,” she said and raised her tea cup to me.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
152 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Can't resist

“Here’s to the next two years,” she said and raised her tea cup to me.

I agree. Thanks Anharad for a great two years of storytelling. Raising my cup of water to you!

I Agree

What a sweet line. It made me shed a tear or two. Thank you Angharad.

So do I!

The promise of two more years of EAFOAB is good to hear!

This was a rather different episode; but I did enjoy the short history lesson! As an American, I never really learned a lot about the history of the land of our forefathers, mostly those portions in which our two nations were mutually involved.

Cathy has definitely grown over the past two years; and it was all due to a certain inattentive driver who has turned out to be the next best thing to a sister for her!

I'll definitely be looking forward to the next two years of chapters, Angharad!

Jenny

Jenny

Just What Cathy Needs

Some down time with the other girls, and remembering the past. At times, that will help to ground you when things go pear shaped.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Don't look a day over one year!

After all she has been through, I think Cathy needs a nice, quite, vacation somewhere away from the noise and whatnot. Then she can rest up befor the next two years.

"Pear-shaped" Never did quite understand that phrase. Although I guess it wouldn't be too great if your bottom were to go pear-shaped. ;-)

m

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

Cathy got it wrong.

Churchill started out as a Conservative MP in 1901. He crossed the chamber to become a Liberal in 1905, and recrossed the chamber in 1924 returning to the Conservative front bench.

This led to a typically Churchillian comment "Anyone can rat, but it takes a certain ingenuity to rerat."

I saw that...

"promise" for two more years of Bike!!!! YEAH. LOL

Wonder if we'll see a marriage before the end of the next year... One CAN hope. (I like marriages!)

Nice episode, thanks for the history lesson... My ancestors fought on the losing side at Culloden (typical).

Thanks,
Annette

YEA

Yea we get at least two more years of Cathy and freinds. This is just getting better and better, and now will we get a wedding hope so Dawn

When you think

of how unhappy Cathy was two years ago before her encounter with Stella you have to say that fate has smiled kindly on her...Okay, Maybe there have been a few(oh! alright a lot! of!) downs but the BIG BIG plus is all the love Cathy now has in her life....Where once there was precious little, Cathy is now surrounded by the love of her new family....And that is something that you just cannot put a price on!!!

Kirri

I love weddings

I'd especially like to see Cathy married. Then maybe she'd stop this throwing tantrums and giving the ring back. He could just give her a tune up on the bottom. I wonder if there is something metaphysical about marriage. Maybe the Mafioso would lose interest in her.

Could we at least get her to look at a wedding dress or two, or even just attend one?

Khadija

I Second That Emotion!

It's high time she got up and did the job, eh? the engagement has gone on long enough. I seem to remember that is was only 'til the British gov't got her gender correct on the paperwork. Well, that's done, now, innit?* So what's the hold up?

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

* I know that's Britspeak but I get tired of saying 'eh?' at the end of every second sentence, eh?

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

Here is to another two years

Here is to another two years of EAFOAB, what a blessing that would be. I certainly hope that Angharad doesn't wind up with writers cramp in her fingers and hands doing this if indeed she decides to do it. Guess going to school in England, in the 50's, helped me to understand the "English history lesson" comments between Cathy and Stella. Sadly, I am sure it was all from the English point of view when it regarded Scotland, Wales, or Ireland. J-Lynn

Churchill

I was born in a coal mining town during the war and I recall that in the mid 1940s whenever Churchill appeared on newsreels at the cinema he received a lot of loud booing. Because of the the actions Angharad mentions, when he ordered the militia to fire on striking Welsh miners, he was extremely unpopular in mining communities despite his wartime record.

Geoff

Take notes...

History according to Stella. Seriously, it ought to be taught in schools!

Two Years, wow, can you go another six years ???

Churchill and Reagan had a lot in common, except for the rerat. Reagan was president of the Screen Actors Guild, notoriously left of center, then California's Governor, a moderate, and then US President, a conservative. He and your 'Iron Maiden' got along famously.
If Cathy became known as a healer, kiss her life goodbye!

Cefin