Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 569.

Printer-friendly version
       
Waddling Dumplings
(aka Bike)
Part 569
by Angharad
       
Snowflake_300h.jpg

Tom sulked at my questioning his self diagnosis, so the remainder of my stay was a bit tense. I kissed him good night, and left. As I drove home, I got cross with myself for arguing with him, but that’s what kids do with their parents.

When I got home, I found Simon asleep on the sofa with both girls, who were lying either side of him. They were both in their pyjamas and dressing gowns and an open book lay in his lap.

I coughed and Simon jumped, dropping the book and making a small bump as it hit the carpet. “Oh, you’re back?”

“Yes, why are these two not in their beds?”

“Um, I was reading to them and we all nodded off.”

“Must have been a riveting storyline,” I felt irritated and shared my feeling with Simon.

“It was okay, a bit formulaic, but Trish hadn’t noticed, so I guess it’s okay.”

“Mummy,” Trish said in between yawns. This woke up the other sleeping monster.

“Mummmmmeeeeeee,” which was followed by, “I need a wee,” and she staggered off to have one.

“Don’t pull the flush, Meems, I need one, too,” shouted the second emigrant.

“You not having one as well?” I asked Simon.

“Who stole your lollipop?” he asked me sharply.

“What do you mean?” I answered defensively.

“You know damn well what I mean, you come in here and tell me off then grumble at the kids, who’ve been waiting for you to come back, so they can say goodnight.”

“Oh, excuse me for breathing,” I said and went out to the kitchen.

“For God’s sake, Cathy, bloody grow up.” I heard the cloakroom door shut, “Come on, girls, up to bed, your mother is not in a very good mood, come on up to bed.”

“What’s the matter with Mummy?” I heard Trish’s voice.

“I don’t know, kiddo, but best you go to bed and leave her to cool off.”

“May I kiss her goodnight?”

“Not tonight, Trish, leave things until tomorrow, she’ll be okay by then.”

“Why is Mummy cwoss?”

“I dunno, Meems, come on, up to bed.”

“Alwight, Daddy.”

I felt the tears run down my face. I didn’t know what I felt, angry, sad, disgusted and ashamed plus probably several other emotions which were too confused to distinguish. What was happening to me? A few months ago, I was making films for Defra. Now, I was a quivering basket case.

Simon came into the kitchen, “I hope you’re happy now,” he snapped, grabbed a glass and a bottle of wine and left me to my thoughts. They were just chasing round and round in my head. So I took a glass and followed him into the lounge and poured myself a glass of wine. He said nothing, not even noting my presence. I took my glass and went up to my bedroom.

I undressed and changed into my nightdress, then went to see the girls, they were both asleep, I kissed each one and apologised to them. I know they didn’t hear me, but I felt a little better for doing it. Then I went to bed, locking my door after I shut it. Tonight, I wanted to be alone. I drank my wine, and half an hour later, I had cried myself to sleep.

The next morning, I woke finding myself alone in my bed, which puzzled me for a moment. Then I remembered the locked door. I got up and checked it, it was still locked. It was seven o’clock. I opened the door and checked the girls’ beds, they were empty.

I slipped downstairs and Simon was lying on the sofa with two little bodies alongside him. They were all fast asleep. I went into the kitchen and switched the kettle on, then dashed upstairs for a shower. I had some apologising to do. I dressed casually, and went back down. On the dining room table I placed two wrapped parcels. Then I made some tea and took Simon a cup.

“Simon, I have some tea for you.”

“Eh, what?”

“Good morning, handsome man, I have some tea for you.”

He stared at me with bleary eyes, not really taking in what was happening. Then a few seconds later he roused himself and after blinking, said, “Oh, yeah, ta.” He sat up and took the mug I proffered.

He sipped it and it began to wake him up. I could almost hear his brain ticking over as to why he was lying on the sofa with two children and I was dressed and holding a cup of tea for him. His eyes almost lit up as I suspect he remembered what happened last night. “Feeling better?”

“Yes, thank you.”

“Good, you can baby sit, I’m going for a shower.” He handed me back the empty mug and strolled off towards the stairs.

I put both mugs down and sat between the two girls. I kissed each one.

“Mummy,” said Trish, sleepily.

“Hello, darling,” I said kissing her again.

“Are you still cwoss wiv us?” asked Mima, yawning.

“Oh, Meems, I wasn’t cross with you or Trish, or Daddy; I was cross with myself. I’m so sorry I was so crabby last night, I guess I’m worried about Stella and baby Puddin’ and Gramps. It’s no excuse, but last night it all got too much for me.”

“You was a naughty Mummy,” scolded Mima.

I felt my eyes fill with tears, “I know, sweetheart, and I am sorry.” A tear ran down my face and plopped on my chest.

“You’ve made Mummy cry, you’re the naughty one, Mima,” scolded her sister.

“You the naughty one,” Mima shouted back at Trish and she burst into tears. A moment later Trish started crying as well, and all three of us were intertwined and weeping.

“I don’t believe it, what have you done to them now?” said Simon loudly as he came back down from his shower. “Why is everyone crying? What have you done?”

“I haven’t done anything. I just told them I love them.”

He gave me a look which suggested he might not entirely believe me, but his parting shot was, “Women, God preserve me from them.”

I wanted to shout at him, and also giggle at the absurdity of his request. In the end the latter won, and I had a fit of hysterical giggling, which infected the two youngsters and ended when Mima wet herself and burst into tears.

I stripped her off and cleaned up the sofa, then took her up for a bath. Trish followed and I dumped them both in the bath and waited until they had both really calmed down before pulling them out and drying them.

They had their breakfast while Simon was out washing the cars. I suspect he was using up his anger, instead of squabbling with me, he took it out on the dirt on the cars. I wondered if he would miss mine out, but he didn’t.

I was busy making up a bread mix and loading the machine with it, when I heard a squeal from the dining room. “Mummy, I have a parcel, may I open it?”

“I think that might be a good idea,” I called back.

“Mummy, can I open my pwesent?”

“Yes, Meems.”

“Oh look, Meems, a makeup set. Oh, thank you, Mummy.” Trish came dashing into the kitchen and hugged me. “Thank you so much, I always wanted one of these.”

“Well, now you have one. Just remember not to go silly with it.”

“I won’t, Mummy.”

Mima came hurtling out and hugged my legs, “I wuv it, Mummy, can I pway wiv it?”

“Of course you can, Meems.”

“Thank you, Mummy,” and she galloped back to the living room.

Maybe I should have bought one for Simon?

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
164 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Out of the mouths of babes

“You was a naughty Mummy,” scolded Mima.

Cathy can't fix everything. She needs a copy of the Serenity Prayer to put up in a prominent location.

Mima + Makeup Kit = OMG?

Mess or disaster, but most likely both. I wonder how she'll manage? She'll probably get it everywhere, face… hands… clothes… However, your Trish seems old for her years and will probably manage quite well, even at rising five years of age.

Poor Cathy is so stressed at the moment, I just hope she doesn't go feeble starkers bonkers.

Thanks for another splendid episode.

Hugs,

Hilary

Feeble starkers bonkers ...

is that in the official diagnostic manual of the AMA or it's British equivalent?

Poor Cathy is in the middle of a Chinese fire drill, running around like a chicken with it's head cut off, four sheets to the wind, treading on thin ice, whatever. Choose your favorite phrase.

I fear she will implode at some point; much like Stella has and has struggled with only limited success to crawl back out of the depths of depression and despair Come on Stella, where's your old confidence and energy? Cathy needs you as does tiny Pudding.

We've not heard of Spike in some time and she is very old for a dormouse unless Cathy has been doing the blue light special on her and didn’t notice. Maybe Spike is like the near immortal mouse in The Green Mile?

I wonder, if she can heal the sick and injured will that spill over into Mima speaking normally, Trish becoming a real girl slowly over time and Cathy becoming...? But Simon becoming totally sane and sober is beyond even divine interference that and Tom giving up curries.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Somehow, I don't think...

Simon would have quite known what to do with the makeup kit...

Now, that's not to say Cathy doesn't need to "makeup" to him. :-) It's a good indicator of how stressed out and low energy Cathy is, that she was so waspish... She needs more help than she has... Add in her great confidence in herself (/not), and you have tragedy waiting to happen.

*sighs* Glad the girls liked their prezzies. Can't say I'm surprised. I do hope that neither of them have skins that react to the cheep makeup that finds its' way into children's makeup kits. Both of my daughters broke out in rashes with that stuff. *sighs*. They had to use good quality/hypoalergenic supplies. My spouse did as well. Seems I'm the only one in the family able to wear cheep stuff, and not break out.

Thanks,
Annette

Me, I Still Wonder

If Cathy was born with female plumbing all along and is just now experiencing everything? Will she find out later?
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Great thought but

I kinda suspect they would have figured that out when Cathy had her plumbing rearranged. Wish it could be true though. Poor woman needs a break and isn't likely to get it until she ends up in the hospital.

I think Cathy is using lots of her energy trying to heal others

There is just a finite amount to go around. She needs a chance to recharge so she can get back to her usual self.
I have faith that Cathy will survive this and be able to make up with everyone in her extended family.

It’s not given to anyone to have no regrets; only to decide, through the choices we make, which regrets we’ll have,
David Weber – In Fury Born

Holly

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Holly

If this happened to me...

NoraAdrienne's picture

I would have gone stark raving mad. First I would have told Simon to move back into his cottage (after giving him back his ring AGAIN), then I would have packed up the kids and told Dr. Rose GOOD LUCK....

At that point I would have taken a deep breath and moved back up to my own house, making sure that the hospital knew to get an agency person to come take care of Tom. I would probably sell off Dez's house and invest the money for income. Then I would close the door and watch the world go by until I was ready to poke my head back out again.

BUT THAT'S ONLY ME !!!!

If you did that

Angharad's picture

I'd be interested to see how you stretched it out over 500plus episodes.

Angharad

Angharad

We have that many episodes, Ang!

I nearly lost count after ten, thankfully I had my shoes and socks off at the time so I could count to twenty.

I might have managed 21 or so but walking around naked is frownd upon here.

I wonder how many episodes were prime numbers?

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Count your change

And that is from a banker, any wonder why the economy is down the tubes? ;-)

Yuri!

Yuri!

Only 104 John

This episode makes the 104th with a prime number as it's number.

And, here they are:
2 3 5 7 11 13 17 19 23 29 31 37 41 43 47 53 59 61 67 71
73 79 83 89 97 101 103 107 109 113 127 131 137 139 149 151 157 163 167 173
179 181 191 193 197 199 211 223 227 229 233 239 241 251 257 263 269 271 277 281
283 293 307 311 313 317 331 337 347 349 353 359 367 373 379 383 389 397 401 409
419 421 431 433 439 443 449 457 461 463 467 479 487 491 499 503 509 521 523 541
547 557 563 569

Enjoy the numbers, and if you use pieces of string, you can get much further. I know you're a blonde, but if you ask for help, I think someone can show you what 100 looks like. :-)

Annette

Make up

My experience has been more of a on the wall thing.

Cathy's experience my differ.

GRUMP

It's pretty bad when the child says don't fight there's are children present.

Cefin

Can it be your time of the week ?

Bitchy aren't we honey ?
Cathy has the fastest mood swings doesn't she ?
Are you still on hormone therapy ? Check with your Doctor.

Cefin