Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 723.

Printer-friendly version
Wuthering Dormice
(aka Bike)
Part 723
by Angharad
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

Before I left the hospital, I carried Mima with me to see the person in ICU. I wasn’t sure if this was a good or a bad thing, but curiosity got the better of me. Meems, as ever, was long suffering and although I knew she wanted to go home, I had to see this ‘woman’ again.

I spoke with the nurse who remembered me, and she led me to see Brittany – who much to my amazement was reclining on the bed and awake. The bruising on her face was now multicoloured, but the swelling had stayed down and she looked up at me carrying my Meems.

“Hello, come to gawp?”

“Why should I do that?”

“Don’t you be howwible to my mummy,” scolded Meems.

“Don’t I know you?” asked Brittany, in a voice which was needing some speech therapy, it was still quite deep.

“We’ve met once before,” I replied.

“Where? Sorry my memory isn’t too good since my attack.”

“I’m not surprised, and it isn’t important.”

“But I know you, don’t I? I just can’t think from where?”

“Like I said, it isn’t important.”

“Mummy, why is there a bwue wight going fwom you to that wady?”

“Is there? I hadn’t noticed.”

“My God, there is too!” exclaimed Brittany. “The blue light, that guided me from my darkness–that’s you, isn’t it? Now I recognise the voice, you led me back to life – it is you, isn’t it?”

“Not really, I just talked to you; you did all the work.” I felt myself blushing and I also wondered how I could turn this ruddy light off.

“I was sinking into a sort of nothingness,” Brittany explained, “it felt like I was in a blackness just floating around, not knowing which way was up or down. I could have been floating or sinking–I really didn’t know. I felt helpless and scared and lost. I thought it felt like death or purgatory, or how I imagined those things. Do you know?”

“I think I understand,” I said, although my experience had been different.

“Then I heard this voice, at first it sounded as if it was a long way away or if it was coming through water. But I listened to it very hard. She – it was definitely a woman – promised she would send a blue or white light to guide me back. I homed in on her voice – your voice – and a little later I saw a blue light in the distance and I pulled myself towards it. It was you, wasn’t it?”

“Maybe. I spoke to you last night, but who knows what or who it was?” I wished now that I hadn’t come in, this was embarrassing.

“I thought it was an angel sent to rescue me. She said her name–um, my memory–oh yes, it was Cathy, she called herself Cathy.”

“That’s my Mummy’s name,” shrieked Meems.

“It was you, you are an angel, aren’t you?”

“No, I’m definitely a human, with feet of clay. I just like to help people now and again. Mr Chesters asked me to come and talk with you, which is all I did. I’m glad it worked, I must get Madam here, home, she had an accident and has just been discharged.”

“What you came to help me, when your own child was sick?”

“I knew she was on the mend by then, and sleeping.”

“Mummy got me fwom some vewy nasty dweams. She told me not to be afwaid and to fowwow, the wight. I’m betta now.”

“Your mummy is a very special lady. She saved my life.”

“Yeah,” sighed Mima, “she does is aww the time. She is a wady, too, Wady Cathewine, my daddy is a waud. He calls me his pwincess.”

“I’m honoured milady. How can I thank you?” Brittany blushed. I held out my hand to say goodbye and she clasped it in both of hers, threatening to pull out her drip. “Wow, the energy coming off your hand, it’s like an electric shock.” She released my hand.

“See, it’s I who’ve shocked you, not the other way round.” I smiled at her and said goodbye, Meems waved and we left to go home.

Sam interrupted his ward round to come to see us off, he spotted us when I went back for my bag – I’d left it on the ward. He walked us down to the car, carrying Meems as I humped the bag along behind him.

“Thanks, Cathy, I’ll never be able to thank you enough for all the good you’ve done here.”

“What, helping my own daughter, and that person last night. Remember there were two I couldn’t or didn’t help. I’m not special.”

“Yes you are.”

“Oh yes you called me a zenith or something.”

“A Tzidkanit–a special person, with special powers which originate from their innate goodness. A saint or even a human sort of angel.”

“That wady said Mummy was a angew.”

“Who was that?” he asked.

“The wady in the bed.”

“Oh, the one in ICU?”

“Yes, Brittany,” I said and winced. Sam winced too.

“Why do people pick names like that?” he asked

“It’s a free country, Sam, we can call ourselves what we like–even Catherine.”

“Okay, you convinced me.”

“That’s it now, Sam, I can’t do any more blue light stuff. I’m exhausted and I don’t feel able to do it again. I know I said it before, but this time, I mean it. No more.”

“Okay, Cathy, I accept what you say. But thanks for those you did help, especially one little character.” He looked at Mima, who opened her arms and hugged him. “Off you go, take this little mite home.”

“Goodbye, Sam,” I said hugging him.

“Shalom, my Tzidkanit.”

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
179 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

'Blue Light' burn out?

Somehow I doubt Cathy can walk away that easily.

Question is, will Britany keep quiet? She's met the 'angel' face-to-face. Furthermore, Cathy's identity as the 'Blue Light Lady' is now confirmed beyond question.

PB

Well, as they say "the plot

Well, as they say "the plot thickens" or is that the soup in the pot they are talking about :) Cathy only have the blue light on when she is in a hospital setting or all the time now? Janice Lynn

I really like Sam's name for her

“A Tzidkanit—a special person, with special powers which originate from their innate goodness."

No religious or supernatural aspect - powers that originate from her innate goodness. That sounds reall great doesn't it.

Now, how about some blue light on Meems' lips and tongue to get her speaking clearer, even if she's only 3.

No Burn Out

Of the Blue Light, rather, a burn out emotionally for Cathy. She needs some TLC from her family, especially Simon's brand.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

I really do mean it!

Honest I do... I'll, I'll, oh, I don't know... But, I'll do something.

Cathy has a way with some people... At least when her dander's not up... We'll see how things goes with Child Services. :-)

Thanks,
Annette

Are you sure you have the word right?

NoraAdrienne's picture

You have it written as “A Tzidkanit—a special person

Are you sure you don't me a Tzadiket which is the feminine of Tzakik or Righteous Person?

Nora-Adrienne

Adina Nechama bat Efrayim Yosef

Tzidkanit - Depends on which minhag one follows

"Tzaddik" - (pl. "Tzadikkim"); a righteous man (for the female equivalent, see "Tzidkanit") - based on the Hebrew word "Tzedek," or Justice. The Jewish hero is not the swashbuckling warrior, but rather the "Tzaddik," the "mighty warrior" who conquers his "evil inclinations," towards pride, power and oppression, and practices righteousness and humility, and who is, like G-d, always on "the side of the oppressed." ("Kohelet," or Ecclesiastes 3:15) Examples were the three "Avot," the forefathers of the Jewish People, Avraham, Yitzchak and Yaakov, who exemplified what a person can be.

"Tzidkanit" - (pl. "Tzidkaniyot"); a righteous woman (for the male equivalent, see "Tzaddik;" same definition and comments apply here). Examples are the "Imahot," the four "mothers" of the Jewish People: Sarah, Rivkah, Rachel and Leah. (There were four "mothers" and only three "fathers," because Yaakov had two wives, Rachel and Leah.)

Copied from Judaism 101

I disagree about the last comment. There are four mothers because women are naturally more complicated, and it took at least four to capture the full extent of their merit, and that's not even counting the merit of Miriam.

Cheers,

Liobhan
----------
Two Jews, three opinions.

-

Cheers,

Liobhan

Tickun

Speaking of Jewish vocabulary, I know a Jewess, and a Rabbi and one time they were talking and he wondered if I was living a Tickun; meaning that I had the shoe on the other foot. He thought that perhaps I had done such a bad job of being Male that G_d decided to make me try it the other way. Hmmmm I wonder if any of this will ever make any sense?

Khadija

I suspect he said "tikkun"

The word means healing or repair, and has several metaphorical connotations.

Tikkun HaOlam [ עולם תיקון ] is "healing the world," a basic obligation of every Jew. For the sake of "tikkun" is anything done to make things better, even if it's a rough cut on the way toward perfection.

A "tikkun" is also a sort of "crib notes" that students can use to correct their pronunciation and cantillation (chanting with a melody) of Hebrew texts, another type of "mending."

This idea of "getting it right" is, I suspect, what he meant, that you were healing yourself. It doesn't sound at all like an insult, but rather an acknowledgment of your essential creation by a loving God.

Cheers,

Liobhan

-

Cheers,

Liobhan

Tzidkanit

I learn something new every day!

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

Dear Bonzi:

Dear Bonzi:

I'm glad you've given up your threatening postures. If you want me to vote and/or comment, just ask! Be nice! Play well with others! Share your toys! It gets you a lot farther in the long run, eh?

Ask Ang to scratch you behind your ears (or wherever your favourite place is) for me, will you?

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

Dear Bonzi:

Dear Bonzi: I'm glad you've given up your threatening postures. If you want me to vote and/or comment, just ask! Be nice! Play well with others! Share your toys! It gets you a lot farther in the long run, eh? Ask Ang to scratch you behind your ears (or wherever your favourite place is) for me, will you? Yours from the Great White North, Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

???????????

Dunno how that got in twice!! [Sigh!]

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

Comes from hitting the enter key twice

As long as it's not been replied to, you can edit it to say something else, so future archeologists will never know of your mistake.

Cheers,

Liobhan

-

Cheers,

Liobhan

Not always,

Sometimes the connection gets a bit glitchy, and then it happens.

I suspect we are going to see Britney again.

Speech

I am wondering about the Cockney accents that all the incidental characters seem to have; nurses or any person not characterised by full names. Surely women who have trained as a nurse would usually be able to sound their H's ? The mothers outside the Convent school, surely they don't all sound as if they left school at 12.
Just a little nit-picking Angharad, but I, by no means am belittling your story telling. I have stuck to this epic to be constantly amazed by your imagination and Cathy's versatility; bows and arrows,AK47's,sainthood,Motherhood(sainthood by another name), and transgendered into the bargain! Her only downfall is her tendency to lacrymosal moments, followed by vomiting at the drop of a hat. Oh, and argumentative too. But then she is a woman!

Ellenz

If ever you'd been to Pompey

Angharad's picture

you'd recognise the same laziness of speech as 'appens in Lunnun, aw-wight? Sadly it's spreading along the Sarf Coast t' Weymuff 'n all.

Angharad