Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 743.

Printer-friendly version
Wuthering Dormice
(aka Bike)
Part 743
by Angharad
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

We spent the next quarter of an hour picking up small shards of porcelain china from the kitchen floor and wiping up the tea – which seemed to have developed the same sort of motive force as a tsunami; and spread all over the kitchen floor except the measure which splattered all over me.

“Want another one?” asked Stella, and I nodded yes, before dashing upstairs to change my pyjamas. They were pink silk with dormice printed all over them, Simon had found someone on the internet to make the fabric and then the jammies. I slipped on a teeshirt nightdress and rushed back downstairs to soak my precious night wear and try to remove the stain.

I re-seated myself at the table while my pyjamas soaked in a biological wash solution. The bucket was filled with tepid water so as not to fix the stains, and I’d have a better idea in the morning if it had worked. Morning? – ha, it was morning now, if we sat up much later it would be light again.

“You didn’t answer my question,” Stella pressed on from my interruption.

“Which one was that?” I feigned ignorance.

“Why you don’t want to marry Simon?”

“I didn’t say that, did I?”

“Not in so many words, but actions speak louder than words.”

“My dropping the cup, you mean?”

“Quite a coincidence don’t you think?” she was getting too good at this interrogation business.

“Do I?” I feigned ignorance again. “Maybe I just let it slip because I was tired.”

“You don’t look tired.”

“Stella, I am exhausted.”

“Okay, but you hide it well.”

“Except I get clumsier than normal and drop things.”

“You still haven’t told me why you aren’t marrying Simon?”

“Haven’t had time.”

“It only takes about half an hour,” she countered.

“What does?”

“Getting married.”

“Eh?”

“A marriage ceremony takes about half an hour unless you pad it out with hymns and readings.”

“Oh that, again.”

“You haven’t answered my question.”

“Who said I didn’t want to marry Simon?”

“I did,” she said blushing slightly but looking me straight in the eye.

“Well, you’re wrong, so there.” I turned and fled the field of battle and locked myself in my bedroom. Stella knocked on my door a few minutes later but I ignored her and eventually cried myself into a dreamless sleep.

I woke to hear a knocking on the door, I was exhausted, and my eyes were sore and my eyelashes all stuck together. “Mummy, let me in, pwease.” I dragged myself off the bed and opened the door. “Mummy, me was fwightened you’d weft us.”

“Left you? Oh my darling, I wouldn’t do such a thing to you.”

“But you doa was wocked.”

“I’m sorry, my poppet, I didn’t realise I’d locked it. I wasn’t trying to keep you out.” Okay, I was lying or partly; it wasn’t Meems I was trying to keep out.

“Can we have some bweakfuss?”

“Of course, come along, sweetheart.” I held out my hand and she gripped it tightly as we went downstairs where her two sisters were waiting.

“Mummy,” they both squealed excitedly and hugged me. I wanted to burst into tears of shame, how could I even think about shutting them out of my life. But that was what I had done, even though I hadn’t meant to. I didn’t even want to shut Stella out of my life, just her questioning. I couldn’t handle her questions.

“Okay, my babies, let’s have some breakfast.” I poured out bowls of cereal, made toast and cups of squash. I made some tea and ate a piece of toast, then I made some fresh tea and toast and took it up to Stella.

“Uh,” she said looking at me with bleary eyes. “What time is it?”

“About ten.”

“Oh, goodness, I need to feed Puddin’. I thought you weren’t talking to me?”

“Stella, you're my sister, how could I not talk to you.”

“Uh?” she said accepting the tray, “Thanks.” I left before she could switch her brain on.

Today, I was going to take things easy. I had a chicken to cook for lunch and I needed to do some washing, but the weather looked fine, in fact the sun might even be shining. Oh to be riding my bike, but other things took priority, three of them sitting at the table and eating toast and jam.

“What shall we do today?” I asked them.

“Can we go to the zoo, Mummy?” asked Trish.

“I’ve taken you there before, haven’t I?”

“Yes, but I’d like to go again.” The other two agreed with Trish so I agreed we could go there after lunch.

“Can’t we go earlier, Mummy, we’ll miss out seeing it all otherwise.” Stella came down as Trish was pleading with me.

“What’s the problem?” she asked.

“They want to go to the zoo, and I have a chicken to cook.”

“Can’t you set the oven on the timer to switch off at a certain time?”

“I think so, I’ve never actually tried it, other than to switch the oven on at a certain time.”

“Well do that, we’ll have the chicken at teatime.”

“I suppose I could, I hadn’t thought of doing that. Yeah okay, we’ll do that.”

I prepared the chicken and the potatoes to roast, then did the carrots and cabbage and put them in water in the saucepans, they wouldn’t take too long to cook when we got back. I set the timer on the oven and sent the girls upstairs to get showered and dressed. Once that was done we made sandwiches and drinks loaded up the cooler bag with the food and drinks and off we went.

Puddin’ slept most of the time in her buggy with a parasol keeping the sun off her. The breeze at times felt cold but the sun was warm–increasingly so as we went into the afternoon. The girls tried to visit every section, laughing at the monkeys and squealing at the snakes.

They conned us into paying for a ride on a camel and Stella and I waited with the baby while they wandered off and came back. “It’s years since I went to a zoo,” Stella said wistfully, “I was frightened because Daddy said he was going to sell us to the monkey house. I wouldn’t go in there; I screamed the place down.”

“My father threatened to feed me to the lions, because I was such a wuss. Mummy persuaded him that they probably wouldn’t eat me, I was too wet. It was years before I understood what that meant.”

“I think they might have been surprised when you turned the tables on the pussycats.”

“Stella, you have more confidence in me than I do.”

“Ah, sometimes the onlooker sees more of the game. Look out here comes the camel express and our three adventurers.” She said pointing behind me.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
151 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Enlighten me, oh great one!

Mummy persuaded him that they probably wouldn’t eat me, I was too wet. It was years before I understood what that meant.”

What does that mean?

m

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

Wet

Two possibilities spring to mind:

Wet (informal) - someone who's weak or ineffectual
Wet blanket (idiom) - someone whose low spirits or lack of enthusiasm have a depressing effect on others / someone who takes the fun out of a situation or activity

 
 
--Ben


This space intentionally left blank.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Finicky eaters?

I know house cats can be terribly picky about what they eat at times, but a tender young child out to be enough to tempt any big cat, regardless of the kid's personality. One good bite and they usually quit screaming. ;-)

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

Too Wimpish

Wet in this sense is a word we use in UK to describe a Wimp. What Charley's mum meant was that he was such a wimp that the lions wouldn't fancy eating him.

Hilary

Wet

Not very bright?

Dunno, might mean summat difrent in a posh place like where Angharad lives. I was dragged up in Portsmouth = city on the South Coast of Hampshire, England = harbour = sea.

Susie

Cathy Has Yet

To answer Stella about why she can't or won't marry Simon, she mifgt not know why herself. But somehow I think that we wil find out in another seven chapters, or maybe fiftyseven.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Enough! Already

Doubt is natural, and self-doubt for any TS should be redundantly clear that it is ingrained. But for heavens sake, there IS a limit. There is only so much of that before it becomes incessant whining, and I'd say Cathy is dangerously close.

My god! She's apparently gorgeous, considering all male -or female- reactions, she's got three kids who love her to bits, she's got a fiancée who's definitely smitten if not to say totally batty, a wonderful sister-in-law, a family with enough pomp and clout to cater her every need.

And every other five or eight chapters she gets all moody and doubting, procrastinating commitment with Simon because she's -again- questioning the validity, or conviction, or whatever core issue about her gender.

I say: Enough.

Start acknowledging that you're surviving on account of self-preservation. Nothing less. You have flaws, who doesn't. Accept that, and don't let it dictate your life.

But I still like reading EAFOAB. A lot!

Jo-Anne

Yeah, agree but

still love the story and can understand Cathy's insecurities. Wonder if being a married woman would help with the insecurity. Also wonder if getting married would get them together more often. They seem to be apart a lot.

Lions in Zoos eatin' Children

Eeee. ( in Yorkshire or Lancs accent, i think )

The tale is apocryphal and goes back i believe to the war of the roses or to the 18th century at least, anyway, it belongs to History, but there was said to have been a young lad called Albert, wot got et by a Lion at 'Zoo.

'is dad was upset, asked for 'is ticket back, and pointed out that 'ee didnt raise kids to be et by lions.

For the original tale see this Link: http://wuff.me.uk/monologues/P10.html

Briar

Briar

Faced with

parents that thought ridicule was a good way to bring up their son, is it any wonder Cathy has no self-confidence Cathy should take a long look in the mirror and try to see what everyone else can see, And try not to let her lack of self-esteem get in the way of future happiness!!! Kirri

I Can't Think

pf anything even semi-intelligent to say at this point. OTOH, I **did** tell you way back when that I would post a comment from time to time -- I usually do it when I've caught up with you and that's what's happening today.

It's not that I'm not enjoying the story -- I do, immensely!

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

Self Confidence

Angharad's picture

is something which can take years to develop and seconds to lose. In many British homes it wasn't usually considered good policy to make children big-headed or ego centric, so parents were often neutral or even negative in their comments/support. Those with strong religious beliefs may also consider pride to be a sin, and therefore try to discourage it without realising the negative connotations in self esteem for the child.

Given this as a background for our heroine and a history of negative reaction to her change of gender/self-realisation, I suspect the lack of self-esteem/confidence is understandable. I'll perhaps explain this a bit more over the next few episodes.

Keep the comments and votes coming, at least it proves to me it is being read and not just Bonzi logging in and out of the story.

Angharad

Angharad

Procrastination

I believe that Cathy does want to marry Simon...

...but in the same way her lack of self-confidence caused her to procrastinate about 'coming out' until she met Stella (or should that be, until Stella's car met her?), she now lacks the self-confidence to cross the final hurdle and organise the wedding.

Now there's the prospect of a trip to America in 4 months time (the story broadly follows real time, give or take a few days/weeks here or there), it should help provide an immutable date/deadline to aim for. Once the date's been set [1], she'll still fret, worry and have occasional crying fits, but hopefully Stella will gently guide her through it, in the same way Stella and Tom (plus Simon, to a lesser extent) have guided her through 'coming out', arranging SRS, dealing with the press and the Mafia, and even discussing 'blue light healing' (although, like Margueritte, they focus less on the raw mechanics.

Talking of which, hopefully at some point Cathy will realise that there's more to it than just being a simple energy sink. Her militant agnosticism (bordering on athiesm) may preclude her from visualising a deity, but even if she can be brought to the point of understanding that it's something that cannot be explained away by science, that there are aspects of it that defy explanation, she'll be one step nearer acknowledging the beliefs of others and "agree to disagree" without getting heated up in arguing her viewpoint.
 
 
--Ben

[1] Have the simple ceremony first - with Henry, Monica, Stella, Tom and the girls (and possibly Neal, Gloria and Pippa's clan - perhaps for added fun one of them brings Spike along [remaining in her cage during the ceremony so as not to repeat the YouTube incident!] as "Dormouse of Honour" [tee hee hee!]). Later on (perhaps after the trip to America) they can organise the big bash up in Scotland - perhaps during University vacation time so her Uni colleagues can enjoy the knees-up (this time, it would probably be best to leave Spike behind!).


This space intentionally left blank.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

You do realize

Cathy's house is about to burn down, don't you?

All the door locks should be removed until Cathy grows

Up. As soon as she starts loosing an argument, she runs off, and locks the room door.
I would think wimpy would appeal to a lion. 'if you buy me a cheeseburger today, I'll gladly repay you on Tuesday', you know, Wimpy & Popeye !

Cefin