Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 730.

Printer-friendly version
Wuthering Dormice
(aka Bike)
Part 730
by Angharad
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

After I returned from my shower, and Simon went in for his, it appeared I’d been forgiven for stretching his credibility. In actual fact, I hadn’t done anything to hurt him at all, most of it was in his head, and the fact that once I’d grabbed his nadgers, he pulled away thereby tormenting himself. I just held on to my prize.

Anyway, he isn’t singing soprano, so I presume he’s okay.

Breakfast became a big discussion, which was as heated as Tom’s porridge. I declared my desire to go up to Bristol for a few days. The girls were quite happy and Stella considered it as a possibility – new shops, and Bath isn’t far away – to come with me.

Simon thought I should stay where I was – bored out of my tiny brain – in the hotel. Tom mentioned Stanebury. Natch, the girls, at least the two who’ve been there were full of stories of the castle. Stella wasn’t too sure, it’s a long journey and she had memories of the fairly recent past. For the same reasons I was dead against it. Although I’d tried to put it out of my mind, I did some awful things in Scotland, and had awful things threatened against me and mine. I felt myself getting hot and bothered as Simon agreed with Tom, and offered to call Henry to see if it was possible.

“Don’t bother,” I said angrily. “I’m still an adult as far as I know, and single. I shall make my own decisions.”

“That isn’t in dispute,” Simon tried to rationalise, “it’s where you’ll be safest from the paparazzi.”

“Si, you weren’t there, you don’t know what we faced and what I never want to be reminded of again.”

“Fine, but the girls don’t seem to be similarly affected, are you girls?” Simon looked at them and they had no idea of what he meant. “You’re not scared to go to Grampa Henry’s castle?”

“Nooooo,” they chanted.

“Okay, fine, you take them and I’ll go and have a quiet time in Bristol mowing my lawn and washing the curtains. I’m sure it needs to be done.” Stella gave me a surprised look. It obviously wasn’t on her agenda.

“How can I take them, I’m working,” Simon used the excuse which men had used since time immemorial.

“Get a week off, then.”

“I can’t, not just like that.”

“Fine well don’t tell me what to do unless you can do better.” I rose from the table throwing my napkin down as I did so.

“Whit’s got into her?” I heard Tom ask as I walked from the room. No doubt Simon was going to say I had PMS or something similar. I went to the bedroom and began packing, I was going to Bristol and so were my three girls.

I had put most of our stuff in bags when Stella came in, “Oh, what are you doing?”

“What’s it look like?”

“You’re going then?”

“No, I just enjoy shoving things in bags, don’t come to close you may get packed.”

“Sarcasm doesn’t become you, Angel Woman.”

“Neither does male chauvinism, or acceding to it.”

“Oh, big bruv?”

“Yes, that fits him perfectly, big brother 1984 and all that. Don’t tell me you’re the thought police?”

“No, I just came to see where you were.”

“Feel free to come with me if you like, or even to come along afterwards.”

“Simon and Tom are not going to like this.”

“Tough, they don’t have a realistic alternative.”

“I take it Stanebury is too traumatic?”

“Stella, people died up there, some of them at my hands. Believe it or not, I actually prefer to live in peace and help people not kill them.”

“I realise that…”

“But what?”

“I beg your pardon?” she looked at me with a puzzled expression.

“There was a but coming, after you realised something.”

“Was there? Oh yeah, I know you had a torrid time up there but what you did you had to do. The authorities haven’t even asked you attend an inquest, have they?”

“Only because Henry hushed everything up.”

“He’s quite good at that?” She agreed.

I went into the girl’s room and began packing their stuff. Stella wandered off back to the dining room. A few minutes later, she reappeared. “One of Tom’s neighbours has just phoned him to ask why there was a crowd of people with cameras and video equipment outside his house.”

“What did he say?”

“He said you were recruiting for your next film.”

“Yeah sure, at this rate I’ll never get round to it.”

“So it’s Bristol then?”

“Looks like.”

“What if they track you down there?”

“I don’t know.”

“Nor me, so I’d better come, too.”

“Oh thanks, Stella,” we hugged.

“You didn’t think I’d abandon my little sis, did you?”

“Not unless the shops in Bath were open.”

“Damn, you read my mind didn’t you?”

“Yep, didn’t take long,” I snorted.

“You cheeky cow, Cathy Watts.”

“Best get a moo-ve on if you’re coming with me.”

“I’ll follow you up in my own car"

“Okay, I have to pack the bikes up anyway.” I walked out to the dining room. “Girls go and pack up your toys, please.”

“So you’re going then?” Simon looked irritated.

“Was it ever in doubt?”

“Dunno,” Simon shrugged. “You realise that I’m not in favour.”

“Simon, get real. You neither own nor control me. I’m a free spirit, and until you recognise that, I’ll not wear your wedding ring, no matter how much I love you.”

“I do recognise that, I’ve always allowed you to do anything you really wanted to.”

“You allowed me? You arrogant Scottish turnip, I do what I want, when I want and with whom I want. When you realise what that actually means, give me a ring–until then, keep oot’a ma way!” I pushed past him and out of the suite.

“Bloody hell,” I heard Simon say, “the bitch.”

“I think you asked for that,” said Stella’s voice as the door slammed shut behind me. I walked briskly down to the lifts, trying not to cry. Simon had really hurt me, but he must never know just how much.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
160 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I have to say Cathy's right

although a little more tact and an explanation might not have gone amiss. Simon is a thoughtless twit, trying to lay down the law for his future wife. He hasn't yet grasped that we allow men to control us how we want; they may be physically stronger but we get our own way in the end. He could have simply asked why she didn't want to go to Stanebury.

No doubt this will stir up some suitable controversy.

Nice one Angharad.

Susie

Wot!

Angharad's picture

Me stir things? what d'you think this is, a soap?

Suds, I mean hugs,

Angharad

Angharad

My osterized brain

I suppose we can all conclude that I'm well, off the track, but I'd love to be told what to do once in a while. I know his motives. I just don't understand when Cat gets her back all up.

I love your writing old gel, but me thinker is just a bit bent eah?

Khadija

Simon

Unfortunately, he's a fairly typical male - completely self-centred, usually failing to see anyone's point of view other than his own.
Just like a young child or stroppy teenager...

So (in case anyone hadn't realised it yet) there's more than a mere grain of truth in Cathy's frequent jest of including Simon in the list of children she has to look after...

Oh, and sorry Si, but Cathy's too strong to succumb to your attempts at emotional blackmail - (a) you don't realise what happened up there, and (b) the [genuine] children were sheltered from most of the action, so understandably wouldn't be as affected as Cathy - who probably saw just as much (if not more) action than the Royal Marines...

--Ben

This space intentionally left blank.


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

There they go again!

Simon really needs to learn when to keep his big mouth shut! Cathy could be a little more tactful, but I can't say for sure I would be any better in her shoes. Well, actually, I'd be a lot worse since her shoes would be waay to small for me! ;)

Yet another great chapter Angharad!

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Simon's Got To Learn

Not to take Cathy for granted in any way.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Simon And Henry

jengrl's picture

Simon and Henry seem to think that their money and position give them the right to dictate how things will be done. They fail to understand that this is the 21st century and not the Middle Ages. Women no longer have to marry if they choose not to or put up with men calling all the shots in relationships. The sooner Simon and Henry figure that out, the better off they will be. They fail to see that Cathy is still dealing with a lot of issues from what took place there. If they pushed her into going, they will have to deal with her having a breakdown from PTSD.

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

But they do

"Simon and Henry seem to think that their money and position give them the right to dictate how things will be done."

How many times have you told a very wealthy person, or a politician, that they can't behave the way they do? And how often have they actually changed?

Simon, and Stella, are children of wealth and privlege, titles open doors and confer status. It's probably been that way since they were Meem's age. How else do you expect them to behave?

Stella at least has a compasionate side, except when it comes to the highways. I see little redeeming qualities in Simon, except is love for Cathy and the girls.
- - - - -
Bear

TGNear-Avatar_0.png

Bear

They can

How many times have you told a very wealthy person, or a politician, that they can't behave the way they do?

They can, they know they can. They have done it before, and it worked. Telling them they can't is akin to telling a horse it can't gallop. The horse literally can't understand what is being said. Your leg is broken, or there is a cliff edge ahead - no comprende.

m

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

Neither is without fault

But I hate to see them split angry. Wonder if this is a topic of discussion with Margarete.

Hmmmm

Unfortunately, it'd be just the two women. I doubt Si would sit down and rationally discuss things. I also think a lot of this could've been avoided if someone, anyone ... clued Simon into exactly what happened up in Scotland.

Sure, Tom wasn't physically there some of the time, but he was aware of what went on. I was kind of surprised he outright agreed with Si's position instead of being more supportive of Cathy's stance, considering what he knew. At least he could've volunteered an explanation of what she went through up there, before Cathy went off as she did.

... tune in tomorrow for the next cliffhanger...

PB

Back again

after holidays and broken laptops, And it seems some things never change....Simon once again proving that you should never put your mouth into gear without first engaging your brain....Maybe deep down thats one of the things Cathy loves about her man but it certainly makes living with him just that little harder!!

Kirri

What we have here is a "Failure to Communicate."

Nice scene. I hope both Cathy and Simon find time to reflect and realize that sometimes being right is wrong. I empathize with both. Cathy needs to establish herself as an independent woman. And, Simon needs to become more aware of the feeling of the women on his life. When situations become polarized like this people tend to go with emotion and send rationality packing. I hope going to Bristol is a positive experience for Cathy. She does need a quiet get away.

I never mentioned Des's estate, which could be an issue between Cathy and Stella.

Waiting with baited breath for the next installment.

Hugs,
Trish-Ann
~There is no reality, only perceptions.~

Hugs,
Trish Ann
~There is no reality, only perception~

One of the things about men ...

Poor Simon. I think the poor sod is just acting like most men I have ever seen. Borrowing from a story of Elizabeth Haydon, the protagonist's lover had part dragon blood and that made them almost insanely possessive. I think that is a good model for even Muggle men. And, most women I know let them cultivate the illusion that they belong to their man.

Were, I Simon, I'd be thinking of giving up on her, or putting her across his knee and leave hand prints on her um, bottom. Ah yes, she is a strong spirited Gel.

Many Blessings

Khadija

Do your cat's eyes

Angharad's picture

usually glow red, or has she got the brakes on?

Angharad