Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 671.

Printer-friendly version
Wuthering Dormice
(aka Bike)
Part 671
by Angharad
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

“Aw look, a pair of dormice,” in my semi-somnolent state I half recognised Stella’s voice. I also heard Mima and Trish giggling.

“Wake up, Mummy,” called Mima, planting a kiss on my cheek. I fluttered open my eyelids, I could easily have slept for another hour or two–I seem to be so tired all the time.

“Oh my goodness, a reception committee, so who played Prince Charming and woke Sleeping Beauty?”

“I did,” shouted Mima, and I felt glad that Spike wasn’t within earshot.

“Ah, so I’ve been awakened by Princess Charming?”

“Is the feminist version with sperm donors and in vitro pregnancies?” asked Stella who was, with difficulty, holding back her laughter.

“Absolutely,” I said, which woke up Livvie, who yawned and stretched. “Hello, sweetheart, have a nice snooze.”

“Mmm,” she said, yawned again as she nodded, curled up in my lap and fell asleep again.

“Oh,” said Stella, “that wasn’t supposed to happen, I’ll make you a cuppa so you can think of a solution.”

“Why can’t you think of one?” I asked.

“You’re the teacher, me? I’m just ritter glasshoppel.” She scurried off chortling while I tried to make some sense of what she said. If it was relating to the corny Kung fu show which was on telly before I was born, it almost made sense. I saw some repeats years ago, yeah sure, someone can move faster than a speeding bullet–he’s called Superman.

She returned ten minutes later with a cup of tea for me and a chocolate biscuit for the girls. “Who’d like a chocolate biscuit?” she asked loudly and a voice from my lap, replied, “me please.”

I drank the tea, while Stella went off to feed Puddin’. “May I help feed her?” called Trish who galloped off after my sister-in-law to be. I was left with two demons, both getting covered in chocolate and who would be ready to eat their tea very shortly.

“Who wants sausage and chips?” I asked and two little bodies did a quick jig. I put the oven on and with two bodyguards, I drove to the local fish and chip shop. I fancied egg and chips and they both decided they’d rather have that too. So we stopped en route and bought a dozen eggs, then we went on to the chippy and bought enough chips to repeat the miracle of feeding the five thousand.

Back home, I dumped the chips in the oven and began frying eggs and heating up some tins of baked beans. Simon arrived just after Tom, who approved of my semi-unhealthy eating. In fact both the men did, ‘real food’ I think I heard Tom referring to it. Death on a plate may be a better description, but it happened to be a favourite of mine.

Stella came back with Trish and baby Puddin’ as I fried the last egg. I apportioned the chips and the coagulated poultry protein–doesn’t sound so appetising, does it? Deep fried potato slices and heat coagulated poultry protein–nah egg ‘n chips, that’s better.

Which was what he had, well egg, beans and chips with bread and butter and salt and vinegar. Trish had ketchup on hers, so Mima and then Livvie followed suit. Simon tutted, Tom sniggered and Stella choked on a chip and I had to bang her on the back. She coughed for several minutes and came back to the table with red watery eyes. She glared at Tom, who’d been the one to make her laugh while she was swallowing. I’d have to explain to her that egg and chips is best swallowed not inhaled.

“So how was school?” Simon asked, before I could kick him under the table.

“Who? Me?” asked Trish, pointing to herself while wolfing down another chip.

“Yes you, madam,” Si replied, smiling.

“ ’Salright, I s’pose,” said Trish before snaffling another chip and swallowing without chewing properly.

“Chew things properly, Trish, if you don’t mind,” I said and she blushed and nodded.

“What about, Livvie, how was your day?” Simon continued despite my trying to catch his eye.

“I got bullied by Petunia Browne-Cow,” said Livvie and Trish and Mima snorted. I had to wipe Mima’s nose for the sake of decency and hygiene. Then the giggling started.

I know from my own experiences as an inveterate giggler, that the worst thing you can do is try to stop giggle-fits at the table. It’s like trying to stop a forest fire with a CO2 extinguisher–it’s pointless. However, there is always someone who tries. I’m just glad it wasn’t me.

“Come on now, girls, behave at the table.” Simon tried to play the authoritarian paternal figure–I could have told him he was wasting his time and breath. The giggles will only stop when the gigglers leave the table. Three of them were now rocking in their seats and Mima once again needed some nasal hygiene.

Simon was becoming exasperated, and I left the table and got him a glass of wine, one for him and one for Tom. I worked on the basis that he couldn’t sip and shout at the same time. He got hiccups, didn’t he, so now, two adult women were sniggering and tears were running down our cheeks. Stella looked at me and we were both off giggling, which of course set off the girls again. Mayhem–doesn’t really do it justice, but you get the idea.

I think I saw Tom chuckling at one point while Simon, eventually rose from the table and stomped off into the kitchen and poured himself some more wine. I dismissed the girls and they went off to play with their dolls. Trish remembered her make up set and she and Livvie practiced painting each other’s face, while Mima played with her dolls.

Simon and I talked over how we best stop the bullying. I said I’d speak with the head mistress, but ultimately bullies only stop when their victims turn and fight back, or they decide the return isn’t worth the outlay and go and find another victim who is.

I wasn’t going to condone violence, even though Simon thought it reasonable. I tried to explain about the conversation I had with the other mums and he zoned out and went to sleep. As far as he was concerned, ‘smack ‘em one and forget it–end of problem’.

I wasn’t sure that worked in a boy’s school, because the only time I stood up to a bully, I got flattened. I possibly would have been quite badly beaten if some older boys hadn’t stopped the massacre. I’d ended up on the floor in the legs up arms around head, defensive position, while the larger boy kicked and stamped on me, thankfully rather ineffectually.

After that my father tried to teach me to box, at which I was total rubbish. “You hit like a bloody girl,” he kept telling me, which was probably about right–I was a girl, only he didn’t know it then, and I wasn’t too sure of the idea myself. Actually, I was, but I was in denial big time, which was what got me into the fight in the first place.

‘Snotty Trotter’ was the bully involved who tried to part a little girly, viz. moi, from her dinner money. I had surrendered it before but I was sick of the girly jibes, and the way the whole class laughed at me.

“Come on, Nancy, hand over the dosh,” he said in a horrible Bristol accent. We’d been doing Dickens and the interaction between Sykes and Nancy, before he killed her. So the allusion to Nancy and my probable bloody demise, excited my pubescent school mates into a blood lust. At least that was possibly why they were chanting ‘fight’ instead of stopping it. And they wondered why I wanted to be a girl.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
139 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Okay...

You ALMOST made me not like one of my favorite meals - coagulated poultry protein... Though, I like to add in some pig and such... But, hey... To each their own. :-)

Stopping giggling is a tad difficult. It CAN be done, but the outcome (typically tears) are rarely worth the effort. *sighs*

Poor Simon. (Okay, he's a rich sod. But, he's a lot to learn...)

Thanks,
Annette

Pig?

PattieBFine's picture

Are we talking about processed, pig portions that have been poached before purchase? (Ham) Or, the putrid if let around to long bit's of pigish legume, that shrinks to less than half when being cooked and is voted most likely to clot your areries in near record times? (Beacon) Or perhaps your a woods-person and like the chop? Not really a break-fasty bit of meat, that! Cow is though, now and then... but to each there own!

Hum... maybe Cathy should get some sword practice in soon... a few slices of miss brown cow.... WAIT! that's called long-pig! ;-)

The english is like the American navey.... I'd rather starve! I absolutely hate beans! I'd eat bugs first! not talking greenbeans here, love them!... and don't really know of anyone who likes them (Many)and would eat them for their breakfast.... sliced and deep-fried plant starches, No! diced and sautayed yes! There seems to be a difference in what's called 'chips' on the two differing sides of the pond as well it seems... 'Chips' here are round and thin-slices that are deep-fried.(lunch and some times with a quick supper like hot-dogs) Then there's 'fries' of two types... the long and square cut tubes- some are wavey-cut, to reduce sticking when baked but some are also stright-sided and deep-fried.(Micky-D's) and then we have what's called Home-fries that are small square chunks fried up in a pan, without any oils at all... some do them along with onions and other things.

personaly, my coagulated poultry protein is cooked in a round ceramic dish in the microwave... egg-patties, perfect for sandwiches! ( best if you break the yoke... it does tend ot just explode in a microwave if you don't) I also stack my bacon in between layers of paper-towels and nuke it up to... crispy and gets the nasty grease sucked right out of it! Yum! you put both into/ between your toast, add some cheese, bits of lettus, and some sliced tomatos... YUM!

Are you Hungry yet? ;-P

Yeah, I was...

talking about the Bacon variety of pig... Lightly peppered, prior to frying (to a crispy/crunchy point but not burnt, of course) - either in a skilet or in the micro - each having their advantage... Now, frying the eggs - in the bacon drippings... Okay, I can feel my arteries clogging as I type. It still tastes good. :-)

Hmmm. I wonder if the other folks in the house would complain if I cooked up some - at 4:30am...

Annette

Baked Beans, Eh?

I Do hope that Tom's house has central air, or Cathy will need to fumigate the house! Hey! That's a way to deal with Petty Cow, out stink her! Cows are infamous for very stinky emissions.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Beans ...

... the poor person's jacuzzi.

Geoff

favourite foods!!

Just like the Cameron family, I too have a big weakness for Egg"n"Chips...lovely stuff and even better when the yolk is runny!!...Mind you that's not my absolute favorite... That doubtful prize must go to " Toad in the Hole " (Sausages in yorkshire pudding) covered in onion gravy...mouthwatering ...But not so good if your trying to watch your figure....Still what's a few extra pounds if you are happy!!!!

Hugs Kirri

Getting a course in Brit everyday food

Eggs, beans and chips? I guess I'd prefer the sausage and chips or fish and chips but if that's what Cathy wants to make, ok with me. Obviously ok with the family. We've been making fresh sweet potoato chips here lately. Really tastey and not quite as bad for you when they're baked in the oven instead of deep fried.

Worried if Mima is back to shouting. And what happened to Mima's other name?

Fave Scots Popular Foods

When I was a wee girl in Scotland I well remember going to the chippy for a "Fish supper" (fish & chips almost anywhere else) and watching the ladies at the fryers deep-frying Scotch mutton pies for customers who wanted a "Pie supper". The pie would be scooped out of the fryer with fat pouring off it and plonked on top of the equally greasy chips. And seeing happy men walking down the street shoving these pie suppers into their mouths, with the fat running down their chins turned my somewhat delicate tummy. Is it a wonder that Scotland has one of the highest rates of coronary heart disease in the world? And now of course they can follow it up with a deep-fried Mars Bar for afters! Excuse me I think I'm going to be sick…

Hilary

Fried stuff at the Houston Rodeo

The'll dip almost anything in batter and fry it at the rodeo. How about battered deep fried bacon? Pickles? Sausages of course. Then you follow it with stuff dipped in donut batter and fried - Twinkies, cupcakes, oreos... If you can imagine it, they'll fry it.

Good God...

Puddintane's picture

Haven't we enough people suffering from deep depression already?

Cheers,

Puddin'

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

Viz....

Puddintane's picture

… brings a tear to my eye. Haven't seen it used in years and years. There should be a society for the preservation of…,

Viz. a scribal notation for viȝ (That's a yogh, not a "funny" three, if you see the character at all.), which was often used instead of vi&, with & a distorted ligature of "et," in whole an abbreviation for videlicet, an abbreviation in turn of videre licet, roughly, "As you can see..." or "namely."

Takes me right back….

Cheers,

Puddin'

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

Eggs, beans, chips and ...

erin's picture

...whut? No spam? Cor, I luv spam!

Cue the Viking chorus... :)

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

I thought...

Angharad's picture

that was why we had spam filters - to keep the bloody Vikings out!

hugs,

Angharad 8)

Angharad

Yet another masterpiece!

Angharad

I've never commented on EAFOAB before even though reading the newest episode at about 10 o'clock here each morning has become one of my daily rituals! I really enjoy your tale and your wonderful, playful use of the language. Absolutely brilliant!

This exchange between Erin and yourself has just been copied and will be making its way to a bunch of Pythonists of my acquaintance. Thanks to both of you for that the extra bit of entertainment...

Ok, now I'm hungry, dammit!

Seriously, all this talk of fried potatoes when here I'm trying to eat healthy and such.

Ok, try this one on for size. Rice with eggs over it, firm whites but runny yolks and a chicken fried steak with fluffy biscuits and white gravy with big lumps of sausage over them.

Now that there is a true Southern Breakfast!

Battery.jpg

Rice instead of Grits

erin's picture

In Louisiana, Arkansas and East Texas, you'll see that meal with rice at least as often as with grits. And further north, I've seen it done with a grits-like cereal made of wheat instead of corn, I can't remember what it's called but Cream of Wheat is sort of a commercial version. We never had grits when I was growing up but rice was pretty ordinary. I didn't eat it with a runny egg on it but I knew people who did. I preferred mine with butter and sorghum molasses, same way I like grits.

Even more common for breakfast was taters; potatoes cut into small pieces and fried till crisp on the outside and fluffy on the inside. Restaurants call them home fries or cottage fries and they may add onions and/or peppers. You can put a runny egg on your taters, too, that's good. :)

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

funny you talk about eating rice with butter and molasses

As a kid I hardly ever had rice with a meal other than breakfast and we put butter and cinnamon sugar on it. Mmmm... that was good. May sound a little strange but my father was always a meat and potatos person and the idea of rice with dinner never even occured to my parents. Rural Wisconsin .... that's the way it was.

Rice for dinner, sorghum for dessert

erin's picture

If we ate rice for dinner it would likely be what we called "Spanish rice". That's rice boiled in a pan till tender with butter, stewed tomatoes, onions, peppers, spices and hot sauce. Or chicken and rice, which is done in the oven, basically cut up chicken baked on a bed of rice. We also sometimes had rice dressing which is rice made in a pot with the same spices and vegetables you would use to make stuffing for a bird like a turkey or a goose. Dirty rice, which is rice, beans and Louisiana-style sausage, I never had till I was grown.

But sorghum molasses is not what most people think of when they say molasses. Molasses is made from sugarcane as a byproduct of making sugar or rum, usually. Sorghum is made from sorghum cane, a grass similar to millet or milo maize. Farmers crush the cane and boil the juice till it thickens. Boiling it is a lot like boiling maple syrup, you generally add a little cream to control the foaming and a dash of salt to prevent burning. The rest is fed to cattle or pigs, usually as silage mixed with sweet hay.

Sorghum is sold in little jugs or buckets or mason jars at roadside stands all over the Mississippi delta region. The taste is more subtle and fruitier than corn syrup or sugarcane molasses, and it's not generally very dark -- blonde to amber, more like honey. It's a good substitute for honey in cooking. Supermarkets sometimes sell a blend of sorghum and sugarcane molasses which is sort of like mixing whisky and rum in the same bottle to me.

Golden syrup sold in the UK I'm told is closest in taste. Golden syrup made from sugarcane is apparently not as dark or chemical tasting as sugarcane molasses but is probably sweeter than sorghum.

Young sorghum plants, like young rice plants, are poisonous if frost gets to them. The tares in the wheatfield mentioned in the Bible were likely sorghum cane.

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Home Fries

Home fried potatoes are boiled 1st. It's common enough for a pile of sliced, boiled, spuds to be on a coolish corner of the griddle and a serving moved towards the center, when an order is placed.

Browning is difficult due to the preliminary boiling. Paprika is 1 method used by short order cooks to give home fries color.

BTW, can we discuss hash browns too? The real deal, please, not that very mediocre patty "McStarches" offers.

G/R

Short cut

erin's picture

Yeah, it takes a long time to cook taters; restaurants try to shorten the time by using pre-baked or pre-boiled or parboiled potatoes. They usually just slice instead of cube them, too. Taters are also sometimes called American fries as opposed to French fries.

My mom would turn leftover baked or boiled potatoes into hashbrowns. First shred the potatoes with the coarse side of a cheese shredder. Then leave them out to air dry for a few minutes (we lived in a desert, this was very effective). Dump them in hot oil, even the pile out and LEAVE THEM ALONE until they brown, then turn them once and brown them again. You can use cheap oil seasoned with a spoon of butter, bacon grease or beef fat. Add some grated onion or red or green pepper before turning if you like. You may want to use salt or seasoned salt while cooking.

Using raw potatoes for hashbrowns is more complicated. You grate the potato, wash it (COLD WATER!) to get off the surface starch which will turn grey if you don't, then dry the shreds some way. Mom let them air dry but for longer than pre-cooked potatoes, sometimes half an hour or more. Use lower heat and cook for a LOT longer. You really can't add the grated onion to the raw potatoes like you can the pre-cooked ones (at least, I can't), the onions will caramelize and burn before the potatoes are done and forget the peppers.

Extra light olive oil works well at low temperatures for the raw potatoes or use the 100% if you like the fruity flavor (I do). Don't waste extra virgin salad olive oil on cooking potatoes.

I know these instructions are wrong somewhere but unless I went into the kitchen and made some right now, I don't think I could figure out what I'm leaving out. Mom's cooking instructions were like that, too. Like I just remembered to say cold water to wash the potatoes in and went back and added that. Warm water will just bring up more starch. Mom used an ice cube or two in a pan of water if the tap water wasn't cold enough. Which it sometimes wasn't where we lived since we had a water tank on the roof and on days that got up to 120F, the water next morning might still be around 80+F.

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

I had to translate that recipe into English ;-)

When I looked at the recipe I wasn't sure what you were describing. After 4 trips to Wikipedia to translate "rice with eggs over it", "chicken fried steak", "fluffy biscuits" and "white gravy" I now understand perfectly :)

It really brought home the truth of Winston Churchill's "Two countries divided by a single language" quotation! And I'm actually Australian, not from Britain...

'England and America...

Angharad's picture

...are two countries separated by a common language.'
George Bernard Shaw.

Angharad

Angharad

That's not all

That distinguishes the difference between the two countries.

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

The very notion of molasses on rice!

What planet are yawl from again? I can see molasses in oatmeal, but on rice or grits? That's just disturbing!

Now as a kid I used to love rice with butter and ketchup, can't imagine now how I ate it then, it just seems disgusting. I guess it was kind of a poor man's version of red rice.

Battery.jpg

Not molasses, sorghum molasses

erin's picture

It really is a different stuff, as different as grits are from oatmeal. :)

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

The comments...

Angharad's picture

...are longer (and more interesting?) than the episode - I'm not complaining, it meets my need for attention seeking. One thing I have noticed, they often run into discussions on food or syntax - does this say something about my plot lines?

Angharad - thinking about dinner.

Angharad

I always thought…

…that syntax was VAT* on sex.

Gabi

* VAT = Value Added Tax; A sales tax that you find in the European Union.

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

must be slow today

Took me a couple of reads to get that one. Maybe because there have been quite a few local discussions about taxes being raised. Sometimes, context is everything.

I enjoy the food discussions

When I've visited GB I normally eat in restaurants. Don't get much of the normal every-day stuff. Have eaten in pubs a few times.

I'm also a sucker for cute little kids so the stuff involving them is always fun. And Cathy the superhero adds excitement to the epic.

My Nose Feels Flat

as though I'd been pressing it against some window or other. Many of the foods mentioned are foods I've heard of but never seen let alone tasted, such as grits and sorghum. I do know the difference between chips and crisps in Britspeak; here in Canada, we vote with the Americans in referring to 'crisps' as chips and 'chips' as french fries.

I feel obliged to mention Canada's contribution to the world of fattening but delicious foods based on chips/french fries: poutine (pronounced 'poo-tinn', à la canadienne française -- in the French Canadian way). This is chips/fries covered in a special gravy not unlike turkey or chicken gravy with cheese curds on top (traditionally cheddar cheese curds). Delicious but a moderate portion contains two days' worth of calories. :(

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

Reading all the various

Reading all the various foods described almost, but not quite made me have a coronary. My immediate family thinks I am totally strange, because I am the only one who likes Grits (made from Hominy corn), skillet fried and then syrup over it. In most of Texas, unless you say different, you will get grits instead of potatoes with your meal, and that is where I learned to enjoy Grits.
My Father used to make baked eggs (bacon wrapped around the inside of the cups of a muffin tin and then an egg placed into each cup and baked. Really not too bad.
I can remember going to a fish and chip shop every Friday when we lived in England like it was a ritual or something. J-Lynn

Grits…

…makes me think of the discomfort of wearing knickers just after having been sitting on a sandy beach with a wet bum. Now that's what I call true grit. Eeeeeewwwww!

Gabi :)

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

North and South

Grits are usually favored with salt and/or butter in the South but further North, Oatmeal and other such, uses sugar and other sweets. Because I think too much, I have always thought it regional. In the South it is usually much warmer and so you need that extra salt. In the North where it is much cooler, the extra energy from the sweets helps fight off the cold. While in the service, the first time I saw someone load sugar onto a bowl of grits I almost gagged! What are you doing! LOL

Gulla and other strangeness lives in the lower midlands and low lands of the state of South Carolina and vicinity. I saw an experiment that had two speaker faces covered and you had to guest which race was speaking, Caucasian or Black. There was no way to tell. They sounded exactly alike. A little lesson there! I got in a lot of trouble once when I without thinking responded with a few Gulla words I used to know. Wrote up for harassment and racial behavior by the real/actual racist from New York City. I had to learn the hard way to keep my mouth shut.

A cheap fast way to hash browns/potatoes O'Brien is to use Tater tots. Since they are already shredded and cheaper than buying the frozen version they work fairly well. I usually bake them according to the directions, but while they're cooking cut up some onions and peppers. If in a hurry, I'll saute the veggies in some light oil or butter while the tots is baking. Add everything to a big bowl and smash it all together. Spoon into a pan or griddle and wait for it to brown to taste. This is not as good as from scratch but it isn't bad for a fairly quick but cheap meal.

Hugs!

grover

PS: Another experiment had recorded people's voices but using computer generated talking heads mixed up the gender and race playing them back. Some you could pick out instantly but you might be surprised at how it turned out. One black man stood there with his mouth open as no one caught on to the white woman's image using his voice. I won't repeat his words due to racial content. As we all know here, The Book is judged by its cover.

Yogurt, Bananas and Fried Salad

erin's picture

The horror on the faces of an Hawaiian and a Minnesotan each watching the other eat rice was one of the funnier things I saw in the Army. :)

A friend of mine from the Middle East went to college in France and stayed with a family there. One evening shortly after arrival, the family served a large bowl of yogurt after the meal. My friend thought this very strange but put salt and pepper on her portion and ate it all up. Her French hosts ate theirs with fruit and sugar and were horrified. :)

In San Francisco, in a South Asian restaurant, I watched the cook slice green bananas onto the grill, fry them in butter and serve them with a savory sauce. That was rather weird at the time but in Viet Nam it became pretty common to see.

The first time I ever saw a Mississippian make fried salad I told her it looked too dangerous to eat. :)

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Hash Browns and Gullah

I don't know what they call that dialect they speak up in the midlands and Upstate, but it aint Gullah. Whatever it is I have major problems understanding it when it gets really thick.

Oh well, the rest of South Carolina is an odd place but Charleston isn't really part of the rest of the state anyway. The racist end of things bugs me, a lot, but its worse other places.

As for Hash Browns, my favored method of getting them is to go to the nearest Waffle House. Scattered, covered, smothered and chunked(scattered on the grill, with onions and ham and cheese melted over the top of the whole thing). Now that's some good eatin!

Battery.jpg

grits & hominy

are two foods I will absolutely not eat. the three others are turnips, sweet potatoes, and most any of the squash family minus zucchini

i really dont know how anyone can eat what appears in viewing of it a very soggy marshmellow that dying is last breath aka hominy
ROFL

Bangers

That is one of the foods I truly fell in love with during my stay in Britain. I arrived when I was 6, left when I was 9. Dad was in the Air Force, stationed at Lakenheath Air Force Base.

Bully !

Well, after reading other's comments, the only thing I can now eat is oatmeal and bread. Yecch!
A good way to handle a bully, is to have an even scarier human have a word with them. If they don't respond to that, then slowly taking them apart always does.

Cefin