Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 626.

Printer-friendly version
       
Who’s Desdemona?
(aka Bike)
Part 626
by Angharad
       
DoubleThistleL.jpg

I felt someone rolling me over on the floor and pulling me away, the pain was awful and I felt sick. Someone called, “Get something to pack into the wound to stop the bleeding.” I think the voice was Henry’s, and I wondered if this time I was going to die.

“Here, use this,” said Tom’s voice, but I couldn’t feel them doing anything to me.

I tried to move and groaned with the pain, “Cathy, are you okay?” Henry gently stroked my face and I opened my eyes.

“That was a damn fool thing to do, but thank you. You are one brave lady.”

I tried to smile but the pain in my shoulder was so bad. I pointed to my shoulder and felt the tears running down my face. “Your collar bone has gone again, has it?” asked Henry.

“I don’t know, but it really hurts,” Henry helped me into a sitting position. “How is she?” I enquired about our would be assassin.

“Shot by her own gun. There’s an ambulance on it’s way.”

“Is it safe for an ambulance?” I asked.

“The battle is over, all the bad guys are in custody and the police are coming.”

“It’s over over, or this bit is over,” I asked feeling quite sick.

“This bit certainly, perhaps altogether. Little Olga here, is the link to the bad old days of gang warfare.”

“So it was her family, Simon had slaughtered.”

“Remember they attacked us first. All Simon did was help fund the other group, and that was after they kidnapped Stella.”

“Was that grounds for mass murder?”

“We weren’t responsible for that, Cathy.”

“If you funded it, surely you’re partly responsible. If you killed all her family no wonder she wanted to kill all of us.”

“I didn’t kill anyone, Cathy, it was internecine warfare.”

“But you funded it?”

“I see it more as a donation.”

I shook my head except it hurt my shoulder and I stopped. I began to wonder if I wanted to be involved with this family, could I live with myself if I did? Through my association with them, I had become a killer myself. Was that their fault or mine? I had defended my children and Tom, but was that really justification? For a pacifist-by-inclination, I seemed to have some very warlike habits. I was tired, in severe pain and rather confused.

Trish and Mima came out of the hidey-hole and put their arms around me. They were quite sleepy and had slept through most of it. They were curious about the wounded Russian.

“She got hurt in the fighting, we’re waiting for the ambulance. Go back inside the little room and stay there until Grampa Tom or Henry come and get you.”

“Why can’t you come and get us, Mummy?”

“I’ve hurt my shoulder again, so I have to go to the hospital to get it checked out by a doctor.”

“Ambulance is here,” shouted someone, “and another one.”

I learned later that there were nine killed or injured, mostly those who met up with the soldiers in the woods. Two of the parachutists were dead, both those whom I’d fired at, amazingly survived, although one had a badly injured spine. They were the equivalent of mercenaries, recruited by organised crime gangs and funded by the Russian group who were run by Olga. If she recovered, she’d spend a long period in prison. It was rumoured she was wanted in Russia as well, although she’d be an old lady by the time she was released by the prison system over here, let alone over there. There she’d probably die in prison murdered or in some dreadful accident and no one would mourn her. Did I admire her or despise her? I wasn’t sure, she had lots of me in her, so maybe I could only despise her, because sometimes I disliked those parts of me.

All I wanted to do was live my own little life, counting dormice and looking after my family and perhaps helping to conserve wild animals and plants in the face of looming overpopulation of humans and climate change. I knew it was totally futile, poking fingers in the dyke, but I’m British and we love lost causes and underdogs. We do glorious failure better than anyone–we’ve had loads of practice.

The ambulances took away the badly injured, and a paramedic put my arm in a sling and I was ferried to Perth hospital by police car. I didn’t see Olga again, which was a pity, I’d have liked to have talked to her and explained why I did what I did. She somehow disappeared from the hospital and no one seemed to know anything about it.

Six of the invaders died, one of our men had a flesh wound caused by a bullet and I of course had a second fracture of the collar bone, and this time they operated on it–á  la Lancie boy. It’s a tiny scar, or will be, but no cycling for at least two months.

I was in hospital for two days before being flown home to Portsmouth by helicopter with the two girls. They were beside themselves with excitement. Tom opted to be driven home, “I’ll nae go in ane o’ yon whirly things, they’ve nae wings tae begin wi’.”

The ACC was found, cringing in a cellar when some of his colleagues stormed the house in Fort William in which he was being held. He apparently resigned on sickness grounds a week or two later, and they gave him early retirement.

Simon gets back from Russia tomorrow, I’m looking forward to that. While I’m waiting, we went by taxi to see Stella and baby Puddin’. Both were doing quite well, Puddin’ can come home in a few days, as soon as my shoulder eases, and Stella is looking forward to coming home too. She goes to see her every day, and feeds her and changes her and most importantly–she holds her.

Stella made quite a fuss of Trish and Mima, that was a lovely surprise for me and I think the girls were pleased as well. Stella was nearly back to her old articulate self.

“What did they say was wrong with me?”

“They weren’t sure, post natal depression or bi-polar disorder were mentioned. Why?”

“Well, the reactive depression is the right answer, arguably with a bit of post natal, for good measure. Now they’ve got me on the right pills, I feel so much better. It’s a long haul and I’m going to need my little sister more than ever.”

We hugged, and both had moist eyes when we parted and I took the girls home. “Is Auntie Stella better, Mummy?”

“She is much better, I’m quite looking forward to having her and the baby home.”

“Me too, Mummy.”

“An’ me,” said Mima, “I wants a baby sister.”

“I want,” I corrected Mima.”

“What, you wants one too, Mummy?”

I give up with this lot.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
141 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Tom is right

Not to trust helicopters. They don't actually fly, ya know. They are so ugly and noisy that the Earth repels them. ;-)

Cathy, welcome to the real world. It would be nice if everybody would join hands and sung "Kumbaya", but it just ain't gonna happen. It's a fact of life. It takes both sides (or however many there are) to make peace, but only one side has to be willing to use force or violence to destroy that peace.

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

Good To See Things Getting Better, But

Now will Cathy finally be able to get the therapy that sheso desperately needs?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

This one

is easy to comment on. Perfect.

Good show...

Puddintane's picture

Nicely done...

Puddin'

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

Lost causes, victims, and comic relief

Cathy seems to be thinking the right direction on her violent acts... "I had defended my children and Tom, but was that really justification? For a pacifist-by-inclination, I seemed to have some very warlike habits." Yes, she is defending the ones she loves and who depend on her. That justifies a lot.

Not happy with Cathy's thoughts on Olga... "Did I admire her or despise her? I wasn’t sure, she had lots of me in her, so maybe I could only despise her, because sometimes I disliked those parts of me." Makes me worried that she'll go on a quest to some defend/reform the woman who tried to kill her. Guess that kind of tendency is why we love Cathy.

On Stella's amazing recovery... "Now they’ve got me on the right pills, I feel so much better. It’s a long haul and I’m going to need my little sister more than ever.” I wish there was a way to do a six month timed release version of the medicine. I worry when someone is helped so much by the right pills. If they forget to take them they can do some pretty horrible things. Going to have to watch out for Stella.

Like the comic ending to old movies. Remember when so many movies and TV shows had a laugh at the end?

“She is much better, I’m quite looking forward to having her and the baby home.”
“Me too, Mummy.”
“An’ me,” said Mima, “I wants a baby sister.”
“I want,” I corrected Mima.”
“What, you wants one too, Mummy?”
I give up with this lot.

So much in this chapter. Now how many installments before Simon comes back? And we still want to know who that woman was. He'd better bring something REALLY NICE for Cathy. Peace offerings do say "I love you" and are effective. Cathy has been through so much while he's been away - needs to be more than flowers and a kiss.

Here's a thought

And we still want to know who that woman was.

Maybe it was Olga!

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

Pacifism?

> Cathy seems to be thinking the right direction on her violent acts... "I had defended my children and Tom, but was that really justification?

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice; moderation in the pursuit of
justice is no virtue."

Barry Goldwater (1963)

Stella

Athena N's picture

On Stella's amazing recovery... "Now they’ve got me on the right pills, I feel so much better."

Sounds like she's been on the wrong pills for a while. More Russian influence?

And where is Monica?

Maybe she's still traipsing round the posh shops in Princes Street—Jenners, Mackies, R W Forsythe et al. Her feet will be mighty tired by the time she gets back home. I wonder if she bought anything for Trisha and Mems?

It's a long time since I went shopping in Edinburgh. I even remember the rickety old trams they used to have and now they are trying to dig up Princes Street to lay tracks for new streamline euro-type trams.

Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Now it is like Whooosh, all

Now it is like Whooosh, all the air left the room, since everything has kinda settled done. Cathy is still doing too much "soul searching" and being too hard on herself. She needs to be able to sit down with possibly the Pastor she knows and have a long series of talks with her, just for sanity's sake. J-Lynn

Nice way to wind things down...

And make it mostly peaceful. Now to get Simon home, and find out about "darling"...

Interesting that Mima seemed to be speaking better (no - not gramatically, but each word seemed clearer)... Wonder what happened. A new miracle?

Glad to hear Stella's doing better as well.

Thanks for wrapping things up. How soon does Cathy's video hit the Beeb? Will Trisha enjoy her first day at school? Will Cathy finish her doctorate? Will this little "escapade" impact Cathy's ability to care for the girls? Will she get married? Will the sun rise in the East? So many questions, so few answers, so far... :-)

Thanks,
Annette

belated birthday party

I think when Simon comes home they should do a proper party for Trish since the original one never got underway.

Friendship is like glass,
once broken it can be mented,
but there will always be a crack.

Thank you, Ang and Bonzi,

Thank you, Ang and Bonzi, for posting this part in time for me to go to bed and have a good undisturbed sleep now that I know neither Cathy nor any of her family, adopted or to-be, are in immediate danger.

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

Stella

needs to be monitored on a regular basis. Nothings ever mentioned of having to go to some kind of ongoing therapy.

I am not so sangfoid that I think this is the end of the threat to Cathy and the Camerons.

Finally, I am still not quite sure how Olga got killed by her own gun. So how did she shoot herself when Cathy jumped on her ?

Cathy's ethical crisis is understandable and I wonder if I would be able to sleep at night knowing what my husband is involved in and how hard ball these things can be.

Kim

I Don't Think Olga…

…Kretchyna actually died, although from the way I read it, it appears that she severely wounded herself causing massive bleeding.

My other thought is that as seeing how her family are so money-hungry and avaricious, her surname really ought to be something like Grabitallova, or Handitova, or even Snatchitova!

Gabi

(giving in to her obsession with odd names)

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Olga

Umm folks

Olga disappeared from the hospital. we dont know where she is

Cathy

Which suggests ominous things for Cathy's future.

God! I am so glad I didn't read this real time! A month of cliff hangers! Thanks, Angharad.

Missing parts?

I will have to go back to the version that I saved the same day as it was first published. Somewhere in this chapter/part Cathy used the blue skill. But in this version I could not find it, Been reading the story from the very first part with about 10 parts per day. Even if there might be somewhat else than those that read it all first time. I do like it as well as that first time, but then there were no readers comment. Those now give me a fuller view of the written parts. It is also easier to keep the story-line as I do not need to make all the typographical adjustment that I did when I read and saved it the first time. It is nice to know that there are so much more to read till I see the last published part. Many thanks for the great story dear Angharad / Ginnie

GinnieG