Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 755.

Printer-friendly version
Wuthering Dormice
(aka Bike)
Part 755
by Angharad
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

Part 755
I was missing Simon; okay so I wouldn’t admit it to him exactly, but he was rather useful as a distraction in bed. I couldn’t sleep. What if they were right and I did have a problem accepting myself?

I thought I’d done pretty well all told. I mean, I’d been thrown into womanhood at the deep end, from the high board, without a lifebelt, parachute or crash helmet. I know I’d been practicing much of my life, but doing things in private is hardly the same as doing it for real in front of the unsuspecting public.

True, Stella helped me at first, but I was soon flying by myself – was I as natural as Stella kept telling me – or was she just being encouraging? Damn, now I didn’t know. Maybe I wasn’t very good? So did people just humour me? Surely not? Most of them don’t know my history, so are they just being polite when this lumbering person, obviously a man in a dress, comes by. Have I been deluding myself all this time? I thought I looked and acted like an ordinary woman – oh shit! I began to cry quietly to myself. Had I made an awful mistake? And I was not only in possession of a nominally female body, but I was one legally too. Life seemed so cruel – to lure me into a point of no return – then cut the cord, burn the boat or bridge or whatever. I was in deep doo-doo.

I resolved I would apologise to Stella and Tom, ask them to take care of the girls and top myself. I’d scribble a note to Simon, he’d get over me in a few months and I‘d ask him to adopt the girls and help Trish through her transition. I’d also tell him that they needed a mummy, and to get married to someone else. I’d drive out to some cliffs, like Beachy Head and let the car drive over the top – a few moments of terror and I’d be out of my misery and all those people who’d been so kind and polite to me, wouldn’t have to do so any more, they could all then gossip and say how ghastly I’d been, and what a mistake I’d made, which they could always see would end in tragedy. At least I’d get that bit right. I wasn’t a woman, I was an aberrant man – something I couldn’t live with. Pity they found me the night my father beat me, all this could have been avoided – I couldn’t even do that properly.

I stared out of the bedroom window into the stygian gloom. Part of me wanted to do it now and get it over with. But then driving to Sussex in the dark was dangerous and I might have an accident. I laughed at this –going to kill myself and I was worried I might have an accident? What a lovely thing irony was.

However, I changed my mind and decided that I would do it tonight. I dressed quickly, in trousers – only women wear skirts, grabbed my handbag – well I didn’t have enough pockets, did I? Stole downstairs, and collecting my car keys slipped out of the door and into my car.

It was three in the morning. Now then Beachy Head, It’s near um, oh just head east. Eastbourne, that’s the place, get onto the motorway and then down the A27. Hopefully I’ll be able to find it from there. I hadn’t written a note for Simon, but I had my Filofax with me, I could scribble something in there.

I started the car, hoping I had enough fuel – half a tank. Enough? I hoped so I didn’t want to lay too many trails for people to follow. If the car got submerged it could be years before they found it, by which time I’d be long gone as fish food. Maybe I’d do a Thelma and Louise and roar off the cliff, that would give me a chance to hit the water and submerge the car. Good plan, but only if the tide is in. Oh sod it, I’m gonna do it anyway.

I was heading out of Portsmouth towards the motorway when disaster struck. Behind me were flashing blue lights. I couldn’t remember if I had my licence with me. I haven’t been stopped by the police for years and it has to happen now. I could try to outrun them, but it’s probably a big BMW or Jaguar and they’d catch me, and it would just piss them off; better stop. I did.

“Hello, Miss, what are you doing out at this hour of the night?”

“It’s not miss, it’s mister.”

“Excuse me?”

“I’m a man, okay?”

“You’re joking?”

“It’s okay, you don’t have to be polite I know you can tell.”

“Okay, Sir, do you have your driving licence with you?” I fiddled in my bag and it was there, I handed it to him. “Is this yours?”

“Yes.”

“It says your name is Catherine Watts, is that correct?”

“If that’s what it says.”

He leant in and took the keys out of the ignition. “Would you step out of the car please, Catherine.” I did as he asked. “Please accompany me to the patrol car and sit in the back.” He opened the door and, in a daze, I complied: I could feel wetness on my face and it wasn’t raining, so I must be crying.

“Yeah, we found the car heading towards the motorway – it’s bloody weird, we’ve got this drop dead gorgeous woman driving it and she claims she’s a man – like who is she trying to fool? Name? Yeah, Watts Catherine, that’s the one is it? Okay I’ll lock up her car and bring her in, see you in a bit.”

“Is there anything you need from your car?”

“No,” I mouthed back and shook my head. I saw the indicators flash indicating he’d locked it. His mate was in the car all the time, but he said nothing just taking surreptitious glances at me – he obviously knew.

They drove me back towards Portsmouth and to my horror but hardly my surprise, he drove into the central police station. Wonderful, now I’d get locked up with all the drunks, looking like this. I was sure to get assaulted.

“This way please, Catherine.” No one ever calls me that. They led me into the building and after taking my details from my driving licence, they took me to an interview room. I suppose they were going to beat me up first then throw me in with the drunks. I got all I knew about the police from watching telly.

A woman walked in. “Hello, Miss Watts, I’m Dr Fisher, one of the police surgeons. Can you give me your name and date of birth?” I told her, sticking with Catherine rather than Charlie, I’d tell her that as soon as she spotted me as an impostor.

“Are you taking any medicines or drugs from your doctor?”

“Oestrogens.”

“You’re on the pill?”

“Yeah, I suppose so,” humour her, it’s the best policy. She wrote something down on a chart.

“Have you a history of any illness?”

“Had a few accidents and been stabbed once.”

“You’re not diabetic or suffer from any illness?”

“No.”

“Okay, what about mental health?” Here we go, she knows, but I’ve decided she can work for it. “Have you suffered from any mental disorder, like depression?”

“No more than anyone else.”

“Are you quite sure?”

“Okay, maybe I have.”

“You see a psychiatrist, don’t you?”

“So?”

“Have you ever had thoughts of killing yourself?”

That did it, she’d read my bloody mind. I broke down and burst into tears. She put a hand on my shoulder. “It’s okay, you’re safe now, young lady.”

Young lady? I suppose she was being polite, she can’t have met too many men who call themselves Catherine. “What’s going to happen to me?”

“I’m going to give you some tablets to help you sleep and your father is coming to get you. He might actually be here. I’ll just check.” She walked to the door and spoke with someone. “Yes, Professor Agnew is here. Come along, and he can take you home.”

“You’re letting me go?”

“Yes, you hadn’t actually committed an offence, had you?”

“Only masquerading as a woman.”

“Catherine, you are a woman, so it’s not a masquerade is it? This is part of your illness.”

“I’m not ill, doctor.”

“No, just overwrought I expect, like so many young mums. Ah, here he is.” I was handed over to Tom, like I was a kid. He looked as if he’d been crying. Wonder what that was about? “Make sure she sees her own doctor tomorrow, and she can take two of these to help her sleep.”

“Thank ye, Doctor, Och, Cathy, we’ve bin sae worried aboot ye.” He wrapped me in a monster hug and led me to the car park.

“What about my car?” I asked suddenly remembering it.

“Och, we’ll get that tomorrow.”

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
145 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Oh dear!

What else can I say? Cathy must be very depressed.

Children are not stupid. The three girls call her mummy. They wouldn't do that if they had any doubts.

Maya calls me Auntie Sue. Maya is nearly 5 years old. She is not stupid.

It took me ages to accept that I'm really me. Cathy is much more beautiful than I have ever been. So I hope that this is just a blip in an otherwise fulfilling life.

And if you hurt Cathy, Angharad, we'll put salt in your coffee.

Susie

Blimey!

First, Cathy gets depressed enough to attempt suicide.

Then, we find out that Tom must have really been on the ball, contacting the police and getting them to issue an 'all patrols' alert.

She evidently needs a lot of counselling and psychotherapy...

...and in her current state, combined with the advice from a few chapters back to have a holiday away from the children...

...perhaps she could do with a few weeks in the clinic that treated Stella.
 
 
--Ben


This space intentionally left blank.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Disjointed view of reality ?

If Cathy still cannot see herself as others perceive her than it is bordering on mental illness and she will be on intensive psychotherapy. Also, she has just put her fostering days in jeopardy as it does not make the authorities happy to have a suicidal person managing children already at risk.

OMG.

Kim

It's easier said than done...

Kim,

I can quite understand Cathy's point of view. As has been said in previous commentary, Cathy looks in the mirror, and sees much the same face she did when she was pretending to be Charlie. She was told Charlie didn't cut it and believed it. So, how could someone that looks like Charlie be an attractive young lady? Just can't be.

*sighs*
Annette

Tom Knew About Cathy

Because his otheer daughrter committed suicide. He knew the signs to look for. She is like Stells right now, unable to cope with life. Maybe Stella can help her.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Actually, Stan, I think it was a traffic accident

that killed Tom biological child. Then the wife died from cancer and a broken heart and he got very depressed, Charlie, later to become Cathy brought Tom back to life, gave him purpose. Now he is returning that gift.

John in Wauwatosa

P.S. Cathy needs serious psych help, she's teetering on the brink of completely losing her sanity. A pity she's so good at healing others but not so when it comes to herself.

The big question is why? Her terrible childhood and indifferent at best, abusive at worst, parents? Problems with her hormone prescription? What?

It a little like she's suffering post partum depression except she has energy but she does have the feelings of overwhelming hopelessness and worthlessness, IE She thought they would all be better without her.

P.P.S. this is world class heroine bashing. My proofer and long suffering test reader/editor, Itinerant, will be proud of you, Ang. Oh, Bonzi, how is the grass in England? Our cats are artists' when is comes to grass, hairballs and staining our beds.

John in Wauwatosa

How very encouraging

edit: on 2nd thought removed.

Jo-Anne

*Nobody is forcing me to read*

Thanks, Bonzi

Maybe, when Cathy thinks back on the reactions of the officers and the doctor, she will realize they did not see 'a guy
in a dress'. Everything that was said to her her indicated that all they saw was HER.

"... we’ve got this drop dead gorgeous woman driving it and she claims she’s a man—like who is she trying to fool?"
"Hello, Miss Watts, I’m Dr Fisher, one of the police surgeons."
“It’s okay, you’re safe now, young lady.”

etc.

It’s not given to anyone to have no regrets; only to decide, through the choices we make, which regrets we’ll have,
David Weber – In Fury Born

Holly

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Holly

Tragic...

It really is true that we are the last ones to appreciate who and what we are. Going through life just trying to be "normal" for us can be traumatic. I've experienced many problems because normal seemed so obvious. I found it hard to accept it. I was afraid to accept the obvious. I always expected something really profound or deep. Part of the problem lies with Society's high regard for appearances and not for the real person inside. Society tends to be behaviorist and not attitudinal. It has an outside-in rather than an inside-out focus. Our struggle as trans-gendered individuals is to get our outward appearance to become compatible with our internal image and not vice versa.

I understand why Cathy is experiencing depression. As a hard scientist and empiricist like Cathy, I deal with objective data, devoid of assumptions and coloration. Even though her body has been transformed to agree with her Psyche, the objective scientist within still has a crises with the physical fact that she was born as Charlie a male (xy). The scientist values objectivity, honesty and integrity. This creates an incongruity or lack of integrity, which seems to be blocking her full acceptance of herself. This attitude contrasts with those of Psychologists and Psychotherapists, who are perceived by hard scientists as soft and lacking the objectivity and discipline of 'hard' science. I believe the scientist within Cathy has yet to accept her change.

I may way off base, but this is my 2 cents (pence?), well maybe a nickel. Hopefully, Cathy resolves her internal crises and rides her bike again. I enjoy this story.

Hugs,
Trish-Ann
~There is no reality, only perception~

Hugs,
Trish Ann
~There is no reality, only perception~

Thank-you Tom

For taking care of your daughter. How did he see this coming? Also, glad he wasn't sleeping.

Wish Cathy could think more of the impact she'd have on those who love her. Maybe time for a Dickens type dream.

*sighs*

Easy to build that mountain out of a mole hill... And, if Cathy can't be sure, there's no hope for me. *sighs*

Oh well... Perhaps real life will be more "gentile"...

BTW - the YouTube with Cathy & Spike... A similar event actually happened to my older daughter. She works in a Rat Lab, and was holding one. Someone dropped something, causing a loud noise. Said rat, quickly jumped INSIDE her cleavage (34E) and managed to make things - as my daughter put it - more lopsided than normal. She got a few scratches - in unusual places - and the guys in the lab apparently got a good laugh.

So, is this a case of life imitating fiction - too closely? :-)

Thanks,
Annette

Fingers crossed

that Cathy's misguided attempt to sort out her problems in the most final way possible, Is the key to her getting the help she clearly needs.

Hopefully when she is able to think with a clear head she will realise just how much love there is for her and then just maybe she can begin to live her life as the woman she so clearly is.

Kirri

After this action by Cathy,

After this action by Cathy, Tom would be very, very correct in getting her into heavy counseling. She needs to express her feelings to someone who is not associated with her daily life, and hopefully that is someone who just may have "been there", "done that" herself. Cathy has way too much riding on her shoulders all at the same time and has never really been able to have any "down time" to herself. Later, Cathy and Simon need to go together and get pre-marriage/family counseling. Janice Lynn

Did a friend just go thru

Did a friend just go thru this. And you're expressing what they went thru either just before, or just after committing suicide.
If so, Ang you did a masterful job of it.

Cefin