Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 641.

Printer-friendly version
       
Worsted Drivel
(aka Bike)
Part 641
by Angharad
       
DoubleThistleL.jpg

“We need to go home, I have to make some sort of picnic lunch for Trish.”

“Oh, I thought we’d have a morning out, give Meems a bit of an airing.”

“Simon, I need to get home, you can take Mima out if you like, but I need to get home and do a lunch for Trish.”

“Oh alright,” he threw his hands in the air and sighed.

“You could take Mima out in the Jaguar, you’d enjoy that wouldn’t you Meems? Going out in Daddy’s racing car?”

“Yes, Daddy, can we go out in the wacing caw?”

Simon gave me a filthy look and I beamed an angelic smile back at him–don’t mess with me buster–was the subtext, which would probably fly over his head, but as long as I got back to the school with Trish’s lunch, it would be okay.

The rest of the morning was a bit of a blur, I made bread–I mean I put the machine on and it made bread for me, I made sandwiches and salad and nipped to the shop and bought yoghurt and crisps, and some fruit drinks. I suspected that a school dinner at Eton probably cost less than my impromptu picnic.

When I asked Tom about lunch, he said he was meeting the Dean at their usual haunt. In other words he was sick of my healthy eating and wanted a curry. I wondered if Simon had realised he’d lumbered himself with Mima for lunch? It’ll do him good to face his responsibilities now and again.

I stood at the kitchen table packing food for the picnic imagining Simon and Mima having a great time while I waited for a little face to come out of school feeling tired and overwhelmed with the newness of it all. Novelty creates energy for a while, but it eventually crashes with a bump.

I packed the food, let the dog out in the garden for a few minutes, then drove off to the convent and to see how my little baby got on. I’d actually remembered my bag this time, and had a boot full of food–probably enough to do my own feeding of the five thousand–okay, that’s an exaggeration, it would only feed four thousand nine hundred and ninety nine–but that’s with generous portion control. I chuckled at my own joke–then sniggered, when I thought–what we don’t eat today, I’ll make the girls eat for breakfast until it’s all gone. I could just see them doing that, yet that was how I was brought up.

I can remember being made to sit at the table for an hour after I’d failed to finish my breakfast, and it was presented to me again at lunch and tea. My father would have made me look at it again for breakfast the next day, but my mother got fed up and chucked the milky mess away.

“Now, he’ll think he’s beaten us,” complained my father. So bloody what, who gives a toss. Discipline is necessary, we all need boundaries–especially children, but they have to be realistic and considered. A pair of twisted knickers shouldn’t be the criterion for introducing Sharia law. I could see from where I obtained my quick temper–my dad, at least I haven’t gone bald yet.

I was deep in my thoughts when I realised there were loads of children coming out of the school. I dashed to the entrance to wait for Trish, loads and loads of kids came out–well, at least a dozen. Then there was a pause, and some more emerged, then some more and finally after I began to wonder if I’d got the wrong convent, out she came talking to another little girl.

She eventually spotted me and ran over to me, with a grin that stretched from one ear to the other. “Mummy,” she called and hugged me.

“Did you have a nice time, sweetheart?” I said hugging her tightly.

“Oh yes, I’ve got lots to tell you.” She was so excited.

“C’mon then, I’ve got a picnic in the car, we’ll nip off to the downs and eat our picnic up there.”

“Where’s Daddy and Mima?”

“They’ve gone out together, why?”

“Well, I’ll have to tell them what I tell you, now.”

“Usually, we enjoy telling our family what excites us, over and over. If you feel strongly, maybe you can put out a news bulletin or set up a news conference if repeating it is too much bother.”

My sarcasm went well over her head and she just looked at me in amazement.

“What’s in the picnic, Mummy?”

“Oh, sandwiches and salad; crisps and yoghurt, biscuits and fruit drinks.”

“Sounds nice, Mummy.”

“Oh, and there’s a little bit of your birthday cake.”

She turned round and kissed me, “Thank you, Mummy.”

Apart from, “You’re welcome,” there wasn’t much I could say, so we drove in relative quiet up on to the downs. It was too windy to sit outside and eat, so we had to improvise in the car. I knew I’d made too much food before I left home, and I wasn’t really that hungry myself, and I knew Trish couldn’t eat a dozen tuna sandwiches. She did put away two, which was more than I did.

“So, who was your friend? The girl you came out with?”

“That was Peaches.”

I nearly choked on my apple. “Peaches, like Peaches Geldof?”

“I don’t know what her second name is, Mummy.”

“Bob Geldof, a pop singer, has a daughter called Peaches, she’s in her twenties, I think.” I hesitated to use the term grown up, because I wasn’t sure it applied. I think she worries Saint Bob to death.

“Who is your teacher?” I asked

“Mrs Cranmer.”

“Is she nice?”

“She’s okay, I guess, although I had to sort her out a bit.” This apple was going to be the death of me.

“Sort her out? What d’you mean?”

“She asked if I liked looking at books. I told her, yes, and she asked me what I was reading.”

“Ah,”–I suspect when you mentioned, theoretical thermodynamics as applied to new star formation, she didn’t believe you–“what did you tell her?”

“Secret Seven books.”

“Of course, you’ve read quite few of those haven’t you?”

“Fifteen, Mummy, can we get some more?”

“Maybe the school has a library, you could borrow some.”

“Mrs Cranmer didn’t believe me.”

“How d’you know?”

“She said so.” I felt myself blush, I hated this woman already and I’d never met the silly cow.

“What did you say?”

“I said, I wasn’t in the habit of telling lies or being economical with the truth.”

“I hope she wasn’t eating an apple,” I commented trying to dislodge the pip I’d snorted up my nose.

“No, she made me choose a book and read some to her.”

“What did you choose?”

“She had a copy of a book called, “Beyond the Valley of the Dolls,” sticking out of her bag, so I chose that one.” I’d got the pip from my nose, now I think it was lodged in my lung.

“Could you read it?”

“Um, no, Mummy, she wouldn’t let me, so I read some of Robinson Crusoe instead.” I hoped I’d stop coughing before I got home.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
158 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Weekend updates

Maddy Bell's picture

hope you've worked out how to upload more while you are away from Bonsi this weekend.

Mads


image7.1.jpg    

Madeline Anafrid Bell

Just leave the computer booted up

And I'm sure Bonzi can upload the next few chapters, while he is emailing the fish market for a delivery. ;-)

KJT


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Don't go cheap Bonzi

... Fresh Alaskan Sockeye Salmon is great ! If you like fish eggs go for a pound of Beluga caviar !

BTW, well deserved compensation considering how much work you've done !

Go Bonzi, Go !

Kim

what Salmon?

Go for the sushi grade tuna! That's the good stuff.

Alaska Salmon

I do believe it is too early for fresh Alaska Salmon, unless you like smelt.

Huggles,

Winnie

Huggles,

Winnie
Winnie_small.jpg

I Can See It Now

Trish teachng the teachers.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

And the children shall lead them!

I can see the same thing, Stan!

Angharad,
Once again, you have come up with a delightful chapter to what is now rivaling "War And Peace"! Nice to see that Trish is doing her best to keep the teacher in line!

Jenny

I find it difficult to believe ...

... that a teacher at a convent school could possibly be reading a book like "Beyond the Valley of the Dolls" ... unless it was to reassure herself that banning it was appropriate :) Actually, I feel sorry for the woman; I would think having a student as bright as Trish in a first year class with children who can't read at all could make life difficult. A funny episode and it made me giggle.

I hope Angharad doesn't miss Bonzi's intellectual input too much but she won't be too far away from the village of Bonsall - perhaps that will inspire her just as much.

Geoff

The better teachers...

... cherish those bright children. It's only those that are just marking time, or feel challenged by students that are smarter than they are that really have problems with a very advanced (academically) child. Seen all three kinds over the years. And all of the reactions.

The better teachers also LOVE to hear back from those bright (well all the kids actually) kids years later, and see how they've done.

Hopefully, Trish's demonstration will give the teacher the needed "kick" to help her be the kind of teacher the children need. It can happen.

Annette

Reading and writing

Funny, I had much the same problem when I started school. After I read through the "Dick & Jane" book we were told to read, I pulled out a copy of "Black Beauty" and picked up where I'd left off the night before. The teacher confiscated the book because I had obviously taken it without permission since I couldn't possibly be able to read it. The next day I took a note from my mother to the teacher, telling her I had her permission to read the book when it wasn't interfering with class work. I wanted to stick my tongue out at her, but knew if I did I'd get in trouble. :-(

KJT


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Coincidence

Black Beauty is a book I read and reread when I was around 7 or 8. I can picture the cover as I write. I shed many a tear over the fate of poor Ginger at the hands of the hansom cab driver. Funnily enough reading it didn't transform me into a horsie person and I feel no desire to join the (mostly) young women who hack past our house daily.

Geoff

Read "Black Beauty" but

It was the "Black Stallion" series that I really enjoyed at that age. I was a voracious reader - pretty much cleared the small library my elementary school had. (but it was a small library)

Memories...

When I first started school, my reception teacher refused to believe I could read 'junior' stories, so put me onto book 1 of the reading scheme, along with everyone else (IIRC, Ginn's "1, 2, 3 and away! The Village with Three Corners"). After a couple of days, I could stand no more, so on the inside front cover of the latest book I'd been given, scrawled in pencil "This book is too easy for me". Unsurprisingly, it earned me an appointment with the Head, but the school wizened up in the aftermath :)


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

It's always the same

It's always the same...You've just had a mouth full of coffee and somebody tells you a joke, One coughing fit later and coffee stains all over your clothes, And you realise it was'nt that funny after all!!

“Beyond the Valley of the Dolls,”Mmmm!...Is'nt that just great reading matter for a teacher in a convent school!!! I can see Cathy paying Mrs Cranmer a vist before too long,You just don't pick on Cathys daughter and get away with it for too long...

Have a nice weekend away Angharad, Hope Bonzi's good on the laptop if you can't get connected.

Hugs Kirri

Young Trish will now…

…be wondering why Mrs Cranmer wouldn't let her read about dollies! Actually I loved the irony of having a teacher in a catholic convent called Mrs Cranmer.*

A lovely giggly chapter. Thank you.

Hilary

* Archbishop Thomas Cranmer was tried for treason and heresy after the catholic Queen Mary ascended the throne following the death of King Edward VI. Cranmer was then burned at the stake at Oxford in 1555 because of his compilation of the Book of Common Prayer in English in 1549 and 1551.

full details at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Cranmer

"Beyond the Valley

"Beyond the Valley etc"
Giggle,,,,,

ROFL

Sorry, that was just SOOOO FUNNY! I can just see a Trish reading "Beyond the Valley..." out loud in class. She'd have done it too... And, while she might not have gotten ALL of it, the tales the other kids told their parents. LOL She'd have been up a creek. Come to think of it, Trish MIGHT have gotten it all afterall... I can recall my older daughter explaining genetics to her playmate (both 5 yr olds), and getting it mostly right (Maybe that explains her current study of Neuroscience and Cell Biology at the Uni?)... And reading Jules Verne (Unabridged) in 2nd grade. Or my cousin's daughter that was reading Verne at 4 years of age... (Yes, I'm actually serious about that one... A VERY EARLY reader! Her parents told similar tales about teachers not believing she could read...)

Robinson Crusoe was a good one to have her read, by comparison.

As to kids making friends with those of "other" social strata... It's been done before, it'll be done again. Until they're corrupted by their elders, they are a very eglitarian bunch (they'll tease anyone, they'll be friends with anyone)...

Thanks,
Annette

LOL just

thinking of that teacher and her extracurricular reading. Guess she didn't expect her little students to be quite so bright. Hope she's a good one or Cathy is likely to get a bogus complaint about Trish's behavior (and we all can geuss what Cathy's reaction to that would be).

You are a wicked woman!

You are a wicked woman Angharad, a very wicked woman, Beyond the Valley of The Dolls indeed ;)
I can just imagine the smirk on your face as you typed that one in.

I Haven't Read It

but I assume it's what we used to call smutty (back in the Victorian Era?) I must check it out at the local library.

My mother taught me to read at an early age (3 years old more or less, I'm told) and liked to trot me out to impress visitors with my prowess so I understand what Trish is going through.

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

Nor I, But I Did See Russ Meyer's Version

Vintage X-rated soft-core porn, circa 1970. I'd tell you that I saw it in the theater when it was first released, but then you might think I'm old or something. It's available on DVD, and is a salacious, campy, fossil of a treat, although I think I may have been stoned when I saw it (which is probably the only appropriate frame of mind to see it in, anyway!)

Just looking up the film in IMDB, I've come across a shocking fact that I was never aware of. The screenplay was written by none other than Roger Ebert. YES, that Roger Ebert, the same person now famous as a movie reviewer! Ebert and Meyer both are credited for the original story.

The only book I can find listed anywhere appears to be a paperback released after the film, by Twentieth Century Fox. I suspect this is a paperback based on the screenplay, rather than the screenplay having been based on a book.

Valley of the dolls

Never read the book,but seen the movie when it came out in theaters

I'm not sure but I know I was reading B4 kindergarden mostly Dr. Suez, I think I read Robinson during vacation B4 2n grade

Dang Angharad, least you've given us a breather for a couple of chapters. I don't like my charactors shot @ that much giggles & Huggs

Kids

Kids try for humor and usually miss, but when they are themselves they are funny and delightful! My boy was a prime example. He had a 4 year old friend who was a red headed bookend. My brother and I had been discussing body building when Cory (the red head) overheard us and exclaimed, "I have muscles, see!" and started in on a series of body builder poses. My boy, not to be out done, exclaimed "I have some too!".

So here were were, two 4 year old boys with arms thin as twigs showing us their bulging biceps. It was twice as funny knowing that in their minds they really were their. My bro and I kept straight faces so as not to hurt feelings, but it was very hard.

That poor teacher, Trish is smarter then she is

Geoff, there is nothing finer than posting on a 1200 lb animal and bonding mentally. Winston C once said 'there's something about the outside of a horse that's good for the inside of a man.' Also, most of those girls have wealthy daddies.
Wouldn't you love to hear sweet little 5yr old Trish reading the juicy parts out loud ?

Cefin