Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 737.

Printer-friendly version
Wuthering Dormice
(aka Bike)
Part 737
by Angharad
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

“Marguerite, what do you mean, you were promised a miracle?”

We walked on through the churchyard, and down the road perhaps fifty yards when she turned into a garden path leading up to a thatched cottage. The thatch was beginning to need replacing and the garden had seen better days. I suspected it might be occupied by someone elderly. “A few weeks ago, I had a dream,” she said pausing in the gateway of the cottage. “I was being challenged on my right to continue my incumbency here by a panel of churchwardens. They were saying that I was too liberal and easy going and that they wanted to replace me with a happy-clappy evangelical priest.”

“I can’t believe that, this place looks far too sleepy for one of those.”

“Well, this was a dream and I asked for a few moments to pray before I responded. They were astonished but agreed. I went into a side room and prayed asking for help. A voice inside my head told me to fight my corner harder and that if they needed proof of my suitability, a sign would be provided. You are that sign.”

“Hang on a minute, this sounds like some deep internal conflict you have, so don’t confuse it with outer realities. And don’t expect too much for Gladys.”

“How do you know her name?” she challenged.

“You told me,” I wasn’t sure if she had or not.

“I most certainly didn’t. In fact I wasn’t going to tell you until I introduced you.”

“Must have been a guess then, I’m not sure I can do much for her breast cancer, though.”

Marguerite’s eyes widened, “How did you know it was breast cancer?”

“I don’t, it was just a guess.”

“Cathy, I don’t know what to say, but I feel more confident about this than I did before.”

“You realise, it’s the lesion in her lung which is the dangerous one.”

“What lesion?”

“She has a secondary in her lung.”

“I don’t think the doctors have spotted that.”

“They think that eighty-seven is too old to bother, except to keep her comfortable.”

“I haven’t told you her age, Cathy, you really are special. I hope you can help her.”

“How do you know I’m not from the devil?”

“Because I know you.”

“That is a purely emotional judgement. You only know what I told you. I could be anything or anyone. I might not even be transsexual, that might be just a story I sold you to make myself seem more vulnerable and get through your defences, then today I come for the coup de grace and steal someone’s soul.”

“Cathy, you’re frightening me.”

“Where’s your faith now?”

“My faith is strong, but I don’t think I like your sense of humour.”

“Show me the lady. If I agree to help her, assuming whatever it is that comes through me, manifests itself, don’t ask me to do it again. I don’t ever intend to do this again.”

“That’s your business, Cathy, but not using a gift given by God…”

“I don’t believe all that, any more than I believe in a devil, it’s all myth and nonsense. The only evil on this planet comes from the hearts of men.”

“Shall we go in?” Marguerite stepped over the threshold and into the house. I followed her in. It was dark in the front hallway, and she led me through a door on the right. Inside a room which had wainscoting halfway up its walls and thus didn’t help the light situation–the windows were tiny and the walls several feet thick.

“Hello, Bernard, I’ve brought someone to see Gladys. How is she today?”

“Not good, she’s getting a little chest pain.”

“What on breathing?” asked Marguerite.

“Yeah, I s’pose it’s the breast hurting.”

“Could be I suppose,” Marguerite agreed, then added, “have they checked her lungs?”

“Not as far as I knows, why?”

“I wondered if it could be coming from there, that’s all.” Marguerite introduced me.

I felt a sense of urgency in seeing the woman. “I have to get back Marguerite, can we meet Gladys?”

“Course, you know where she is, I’ll put the kettle on,” said Bernard and he went out to the kitchen.

I steered Marguerite into the bedroom which had once been a dining room. She tried to make me go into another room as if testing me, but I knew where she was. I could smell the cancer–I’d never done so before, but I’ve heard tell it has a peculiar odour.

“Gladys this is…”

“I know who it is,” she croaked, “I’m ready to go.”

“Go where?” asked Marguerite.

“To die, to meet my maker. Why else did you bring the angel of death with you?”

“Gladys, this is Cathy Watts, soon to be Lady Cameron when she marries Lord Simon Cameron. Why on earth did you think she was someone coming to harm you? In fact it’s quite the opposite she’s come to…”

“Please, Marguerite, just be quiet, I’d like to concentrate if I may.”

“Sorry,” was whispered back and I glared at her. After my withering stare, I turned my gaze upon Gladys. She was very old and in poor health, I didn’t think I’d be able to do much for her.

“I’m Cathy,” I said reaching out my hand to her.

“Pleased to meet you, your ladyship.”

“Let’s not dwell on ceremony,” I said. and she took my hand. Hers was icy and I felt a cold jolt through my whole body. Then a rush of energy down my arm, which got very hot then cold. The old lady gasped and closed her eyes. For a moment I thought she was dead.

The energy continued pulsing down my arm. For a moment I felt a tightness in my chest and difficulty in breathing, then it got very warm in the room and the pain in my chest went. Her hand slipped out of mine and fell onto her lap.

I stepped back. “Is she going to be okay?” asked Marguerite.

“I don’t honestly know.” I shrugged and turned to leave.

“I’ll be fine,” came a voice from the bed. “I’m going to die, I know that. I’ve got lung cancer haven’t I, Cathy?”

“I think so. I’m sorry.”

“That’s alright, you showed me something I never thought I’d see.” The old lady seemed brighter than when we’d entered the room. “I saw heaven, and it was a beautiful garden with birds singing and flowers in bloom. I saw the sun shining and children were playing, the one I lost, she was still born is now a little girl, we called her Emily, she was dancing around a maypole and said she’d wait for me. Thank you, my dear for showing me this, now I’m no longer afeared of dying. In fact, I’m quite looking forward to it and maybe I won’t be a useless old woman, no more.”

“But … but, Cathy … I brought Cathy here to heal you,” stuttered Marguerite, “What’s gone wrong?”

“Nothin’ my dear,” said the old lady, “I’ve had me time, Marguerite, “and now I’m quite happy to go with my Emily. It don’t scare me no more. I mean if a baby ain’t scared, how can I be?” she smiled serenely. “I told you she was the angel of death, but what a nice gift she brung me. Thank you, my dear.” She beamed at me and laying back complained at how tired she was.

We took our leave before Bernard could bring through the tea. I just wanted out, the whole experience left me feeling – I don’t know – but it felt sordid. “Sorry, you didn’t get your miracle.” I said as we walked briskly back to the vicarage.

“Didn’t I? Are you the angel of death?”

“Me? No, just some poor confused aristocrat’s girlfriend, and struggling foster mother.”

“You knew she wasn’t going to get any better, didn’t you?”

“The house reeked of death and cancer. He’s got it too, but he doesn’t know it, in the colon. He’ll be with her and their little girl, within six months.”

“Cathy, I must tell him.”

“You can’t, he’s too busy looking after her, and besides it’s too late. Make him an invalid and she’ll end up in the hospital for her last days, let him care for her, it will help him deal with his grief. He won’t suffer with his illness and it will be very brief.”

“How do you know this?”

“I don’t, well, okay, I do, but I can’t tell you how or why.”

“It’s fascinating, if a little frightening.”

“Who’s Pattie?”

“My youngest, why? Oh God, Cathy, what’s wrong with her?”

“She had a blemish on the side of her face.”

“Had, she still has, a port-wine stain, she’s very conscious of it.”

“Had. I must collect my two and go.”

We walked – well I walked, Marguerite ran and practically smashed the door down. She called urgently for Pattie, who appeared and her mother grabbed her and examined her face. She screamed and hugged the child to her. My two appeared to see what had happened. I beckoned them and they got their backpacks and we stole away.

“Why did that lady scream, Mummy?” Trish asked.

“I think she got something she wanted but wasn’t expecting.”

“Oh, was that to do with your blue light, I thought I saw some?”

“Maybe, sweetheart, just maybe.”

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
155 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

She Is More

Than a Healer, if Cathy gets mad, she can harm, too.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Who

Says she was not healing the couple? She removed their pain, and made it easer for them to pass on. Marguerite did not get the miracle that she wanted but got the ones she needed.

Frightening changes

That line, or something very similar, was in a sci-fi story by H. Beam Piper. I think it is going to be hard for Cathy to leave her house or answer her phone, this whole thing has likely scared the bejesus out of her, no pun intended. And Marguerite asking Cathy if she really was the angel of death, Marguerite must be half-scared to death.

m

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

And the plot...oh wait,

And the plot...oh wait, someone already said that! ;) Cathy keeps trying to get away from it and she just keeps getting dragged in deeper. Hope Marguerite isn't too freaked out by all this that she won't do the wedding!

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Knowing things withoug...

knowing how/why must be disconcerting. It's a "trick" several people have managed to do. Heck - a few years ago, I described 8 different people I'd never met - accurately (or so they claimed - so unless it was a conspiracy...)... It scared the tweet out of me, let me tell you... And I've refused to try since then! I've seen others pull similar tricks (ask them a question out of the blue, and they answer - correctly - without having any context). It's really freaky!!!

I don't envy Cathy the ability to "know" things like she appears to have known here. Hopefully good comes of the trip though. Marguerite sure got a surprise!

Thanks for an interesting episode.
Annette

Gladys

In a way, Cathy did heal her. Not the various cancers, but her state of mind.
Remember, in all previous cases (apart from Puddin'), she has guided the patient towards the healing, and the patient has complied.
Now, with Gladys the healing she wanted wasn't from her various cancers, but for her mind to be put at rest, so she could accept her fate.

The business with the husband and Pattie confirms something we saw at the hospital - while Cathy's in the process of healing, she also subconciously follows connections to others in need of healing. In the hospital, it was other patients that either the staff or the patient she was actively healing would have known. In this case, she connected to Pattie via Marguerite.

The husband's an interesting case - perhaps her subconcious recognised that although he had cancer, in the grand scheme of things he didn't "need" healing, unless it was given in the form of ensuring he's ignorant about his own cancer until it's too late.

It suggests that she's developed the ability to 'tune in' to the most appropriate type of healing for the patient - which should hopefully ensure there's not a repeat of the remote healing failure (when the patient died and she was knocked out for a while).

Hopefully, once both she and Marguerite have recovered from the shock of the day's events, they'll meet / chat again to discuss the wedding - this time, with healing completely off-limits!
 
 
--Ben


This space intentionally left blank.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Now you've hit on it!

The part of being a healer that makes it so hard.

Sometimes, the healing consists of helping someone to die. That part is more difficult and soul-wrecking than anyone who hasn't been through it could ever imagine.

Even that has its own poignant sweetness.

Thanks, Angharad!

Battery.jpg

Can't help but wonder

if this is all building up to some kind of crescendo where Cathy's gift will be essential. (is our girl about to save the world?)

I think Cathy has just had an epifany

She may just have learned that the *blue light* can direct itself to where it is most needed.

Thus she need not make life and death decisions, the source of the power decides for her. Her reaction to healing worries me a little, she seems to suffer whatever they are suffering from for a short while and there might be a chance it could kill her.

Interesting interplay between her, her kids, the dying woman and the vicar in these last couple chapters. You are handling a complex and controvesial subject, faith/supernatural healing in an open and honest way.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

None of us get out of this alive

We should not fear death. It happens. Those we leave behind are sad for themselves. Now, having offered all that lofty wisdom, I hope it will feel the same when I face mine.

Many blessings

Khadija

I know it's a cliché...

...but it's true: "The only things certain in life are death and taxes."

Well, the death bit is true for all forms of life, the taxes bit is only true for about 99% of humanity. Other creatures are spared that particular burden of life - but may have other burdens instead (competition, predation, cannibalism, slaughter by humans [food, sport, notifiable disease control, culling etc.])

Anyway, back to topic, it's a nice development that now in cases where the patient is 'too far gone' for effective medical healing via the blue light (after all, the worse a patient is, the more the healing process exhausts Cathy), it instead offers palliative care.

And of course, although your corporeal remains eventually decay, it is possible to achieve immortality of sorts through your impact upon society or through financial legacies, published works etc....

 
 
--Ben


This space intentionally left blank.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Very rarely

[email protected]----do I comment . I just want you to know that I do enjoy your efforts on this series imensly . Thank You .

Cavrider----Just another " Grunt."

We seem

to be seeing a change in Cathy now, gone is the woman who was'nt sure what was happening to her,Now there is an awareness about herself and the blue light, My hope now is that Cathy can turn the clarity of thought when faced with other peoples problems onto her relationship with Simon , Then hopefully she will see what the rest of see and make an honest! man out of Simon!

Kirri

So, Marguerite Got Her Miracle

Just not the one she was expecting, eh?

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

You

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Cathy's Mother

OK, what does Cathy's mother have to do with this? I see plenty!
If I remember correctly, part of what her mother told her was, "You will be told at the proper time what to do." Cathy was plainly told by her mother at that encounter what the future would hold for Cathy (A marriage? a fully functional female reproductive system? Continue towards her PhD)? So far as I have read, I have not seen any place where Cathy has been told what to do, by someone in authority and who knows. Has the time arrived when Cathy will be told she is a healer, and to go forth and heal?
I think Bonzi really needs to get involved in this, because cats, bless their ears that need to be rubbed, are more spiritual that most of us humans.
Here, Bonzi, is more scrubbies, if you will turn over on your back, and allow me to rub your tummy, and scratch your ears, and stroke your chin, and gently pull on your tail, just to watch it react.
Oh, and yes, I will rub your back, just to watch your rear end rise to the occassion! You are wonderful, Bonzi, and if your human doesnt care for you in accoredance with your desires, you are more than welcome to my home.I have lots of scrubbies and catnip available,but I refuse to allow you to get drunk on catnip!

Don't let someone else talk you out of your dreams. How can we have dreams come true, if we have no dreams?

Katrina Gayle "Stormy" Storm

To quote Hank, "you'll never get out of this world alive"

Wow, that was intense ! Cathy does seem to be more then a healer, doesn't she ? Detecting cancers in husband and wife, smelling cancer ?
Whew ! God works in mysterious ways, using strange implements.
Ang, is a little faith showing ? It's OK, we won't think less of you.
Just what does ' In Bristol Fashion' mean anyway ?

Cefin

A very emotional chapter

I found myself shedding tears over the cure Cathy provided for the old lady - exactly what she needed. I'm not sure that Marguerite will want to stay in touch with Cathy - I think she is now scared of her and her power.